Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

How many episodes end with the last of the Daleks being destroyed?

Every episode they appeared in until Moffat took over, the first Dalek episode of his tenure on the show had the Daleks being revived (again) and escaping at the end so they didn't have to keep explaining how they kept coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Araenna posted:

I was all "Oh man, Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill in the Killing Joke!!" but then I almost immediately thought "Oh but it's such a good and iconic comic they're guaranteed to gently caress it up." And low and behold, they did.

"Batgirl didn't have anything to do in the original story before she got shot, so let's add some new scenes for her!"

"What should we do?"

"Let's have her gently caress Batman!"

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Just so you know, the second episode of TNG is one of the worst of the whole series and pretty racist to boot!

TNG didn't get good until Season 3, other than the odd good episode here and there in S1&2

Veotax
May 16, 2006

MariusLecter posted:

Has Animorphaline from Dragon Ball come up before? Feels like it has.

The show and other media doesn't go super into detail but it seems like it has existed for a long time and was heavily marketed at one point like an over the counter, no prescription needed type thing when a pharmaceutical company patented it or something.

Nothing goes into detail about it because it was created for a video game released earlier this year to explain why there are animal people around.

The manga never needed to explain it, Dragon Ball's Earth is just a weird place where there are animal people.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

oldpainless posted:

Agreed, it’s a fantastic movie

Veotax
May 16, 2006

ookiimarukochan posted:

Which one of the 2 US pilots are you complaining about?

Isn't the second pilot just a series of clips trying to show what the show would be rather than an actual episode? Like they re-shot scenes from the British show with the American cast.

Only time I've ever heard of someone making a clip show as a pilot.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Zaroff posted:

No - there were two distinct US pilots, with two different Cats (one had the guy who made everyone sing in that Buffy episode, the other had Dax from DS9 playing Cat)

I believe one did have clips from Season 5’s Terrorform - I’d assume the bit from the beginning when Kryten was stranded in the wrecked ship, since he was the only UK actor to be carried to the US version.

There were two different pilots, the second with a revised cast like you said, but looking it up it does seem like the second pilot was just a collection of scenes rather than an actual episode.

From the Red Dwarf wiki:

quote:

With a small budget and deadline, new scenes were quickly shot and mixed in with existing footage of the pilot and UK Series V episodes. Rather than being a complete storyline, the new pilot was more a highlights reel of potential story ideas. Among the most notable was a recreation of scenes from the Series III episode "Marooned".

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I've been listening to a podcast that's going through the UK's Sonic the Hedgehog comic from the 90's for the last year, I was very surprised when they read out the credits for the Sonic strip for the second issue and it turned out that Mark Millar wrote it.

It was clearly work for hire stuff just done for the paycheck, but it was totally fine kids stuff and actually better than some of the early writers turning in the same kind of stuff. He did 11 Sonic strips in total, apparently all written before the first issue was published.

He also wrote the first two Streets of Rage story lines for the comic, now those felt like early/prototype Mark Millar works, somewhat sanitised for a pre-teen/early teen audience. Although they were kind of pushing it sometimes for a comic with Sonic the Hedgehog on the cover.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Pretty much. Most of the characters are based on her family.

The most egregious one is the son. I think the story goes that in real life he was a photographer for a newspaper, shot some pictures of a fatal car crash that he later learned was his friend.
In the comic Lynn re-wrote it so he saved his friend from the car and he later married her.
Also he's actually gay in real life, but straight in Lynn's perfect little comic world.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I can't link it since I'm on my phone, but IGN just did a 20 minute or something documentary on Batman Beyond and that is exactly what happened.

It's a pretty good watch if you can look it up on YouTube.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

VinylonUnderground posted:

I'm not sure I can parse this without Rainbow Dash.

I'm bad at photoshop

Veotax
May 16, 2006

bobjr posted:

We have call of duty games now with levels that are just Benghazi with the names changed.

There are also Call of Duty games where they take war crimes committed by the US and say "actually the Russians did this"

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The video game also advertised 'minimal involvement from Rowling' as a feature.

I think the game has also advertised that you can make your character trans, but we'll see what they actually do to try to pull that off, I guess.
The way Cuberpunk did it drew criticism, though that was clearly just hacked in late in development after all the CDPR transphobia stuff before release so they can say "we're not transphobic! See, you can play as a trans person in our game!".

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The voice stuff is clearly because it was added in late in development. They probably only have male specific lines recorded for the male voice and vice versa.

The best way to have done it would have just had a choice during character creation that determined your gender, rather than tying it to another choice, but that would have required additional work for something that was just done in response to controversy and not part of the original design of the game.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Sadly the problem with BOTH the examples of Prey and Wolf 2009 is they've been caught in publisher trademark copyright blaargghh hell and we will likely never see them retouched for that reason.

Yeah, I believe Prey was 2K Games and Wolfenstein was Activision. Both IPs are now owned by Bethesda/Microsoft, but not necessarily those games specifically, so theoretically no one has the legal right to release them again, unless the companies come to an agreement.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Literally the first time I've ever heard of a youtube video that works in Australia but is geoblocked elsewhere.

ITV is loving weird about blocking anything they own in the UK and nowhere else.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

This was pretty bad at times in like the 360 days, if you were playing a PC version of a console game. The Arkham games, for example, used pre-rendered cutscenes for some reason. They all used in-game assets and no more advanced lighting, but ran at 30FPS and probably 720p or something. No problem on the 360, pretty much identical to gameplay most of the time, but on PC when you were at a higher resolution and framerate, it was jarring when you went into a cutscene and it looked worse suddenly.

You don't see this stuff as much these days, it seems. Unless the cutscene is doing something that would be difficult to do in realtime, I guess.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

totk uses pre-rendered cutscenes? is that a first for the series?

It only uses them for things it can't do real time, like the blood moon cutscenes (moving around the world too fast and probably showing more enemies than it usually would) and something like the intro where the castle rises into the air.

I'm pretty sure BotW used pre-rendered videos for the blood moon cutscenes too.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, TNG (and probably DS9 and Voyager) was shot on film, but then edited on video. So the original shots look amazing when scanned in on modern hardware, but the finished episodes look like poo poo. So they had to find all of the original, unedited footage, and rebuild the episodes matching the original edits. Plus making new effects for things that weren't done in-camera.

It's tons of work and very expensive, which is why they only did TNG.

This is why tons of outtakes suddenly surfaced and look amazing, because they found the while scanning the film. They even put out an alternate longer edit of The Measure of a Man with scenes that didn't make the final cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The conversation about Asari looking like different races is three guys of different races talking about an Asari stripper at a bachelor party. I'm pretty sure they're just loving with the groom.