Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I know CSI and other shows have made the jury process hell because all of them got this impression that forensic evidence is the end all be all slam dunk 100% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If anything, early digital/flash animation looks like poo poo now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Our president is basically the main character of the show. An egotistical, narcissistic moron hellbent on taking over the world. But can't get anything done right because he's just so dumb and bad at everything.

That metaphor doesn't hold up, because at his worst, even Zim had a human heart. Probably a few of them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I finished season 1 of Doctor Who, and I can confirm the Big Brother and Weakest Link references don't hold up particularly well. They don't derail the show, but come across as tepid satire in a not-great episode. I like the sci-fi and horror episodes (Father's Day and Empty Child were excellent), but the British culture plots are tedious. Aliens disguised as fat people, and they fart a lot? Somehow that was a two parter?

I'm still not decided on the series as a whole. We are three episodes into season 2, and I hope David Tennant gets a lot better fast. Christopher Eccleston was great but Tennant seems underprepared, though I liked him on Jessica Jones.

Things only get worse when Tennent comes back. Especially during his finale and "OBAMA WILL SAVE US!" Also a dude fucks a slab of concrete.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hulk definitely had the formula down pat, but there was an episode in the first season where he fights a gorilla. Even if the story wasn't riveting, I did enjoy it for that late 70s/early 80s tourism. And yeah, Bill Bixby sold that meloncholy sadness really well. Which makes it all the more tragic that he died before his time.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, ironically I sorta tune out the during the Hulk scenes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rockford Files rules. He doesn't give a poo poo and the bad guys wouldn't even be caught and arrested if they just left Rockford alone.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That's pretty accurate.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lucy and Ricky weren't even allowed to be shown sleeping in the same bed. The first on-screen couple to do so were Fred and Wilma Flintstone.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

Depending on how you interpret it, it was arguably the first TV inter-racial couple in the US. Desi Arnaz was Cuban but also White so it got around that.

She still had to fight tooth and nail to get him on the show. So much so that that's why they started their own studio, if I'm remembering right.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bobby is a teenager and still learning about the world. And usually when he finds out how selfish his behavior is, he learns and betters himself.

Hank's love for Buck Strickland is basically PTSD after decades of being Cotton's son. Buck's a saint compared to Cotton.

One of the few epsidoe resolutions I outright don't like is the one where Bobby becomes an apprentice to the poop scooper guy. There's a job shadow week at school and Bobby is forced to take a job with a poop scooper. Bobby actually ends up being really into it, and the scooper guy is super successful since he works for rich people and has basically no overhead. He lived in a mansion. Hank doesn't like it because the scooper is naturally charismatic and doesn't think Bobby would be a good fit since he's a slower fat kid. The scooper really likes Bobby too, and is grooming him to start his own similar business. But Hank talks to the scooper guy, convinces him, and they scare Bobby with a fake gang to make it seem like the poop scooping business isn't as glorious as he made it seem.

It just screams a lack of faith in his son. Bobby seemingly was making it work too with those frat guys.

sassassin posted:

Small price to pay to work in the propane game. What's Hank going to do, go work for Fatherton Fuels?

Thaterton!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

It'd be funny to see an animated show that actually aged the characters in real time.

I heard that was the original goal for Mission Hill. Shame it was sent out to die on the WB.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I haven't seen Family Guy in years. What are they doing now that Adam West died?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Besesoth posted:

Almost all.

Die Hard 2 is 58 Minutes.
Die Hard waV was a film called "Simon Says", intended for Brandon Lee.
LFo Die Hard was "WW3.com", a cyberterrorism film that was shelved after 9/11.
AGDt Die Hard was actually a Die Hard movie, but was supposed to be a crossover with "24".

The first Die Hard was originally a sequel to The Detective, a Frank Sinatra movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Here's a neat comparison between Toy Story and the Toy Story section in Kingdom Hearts 3.
https://youtu.be/tkDadVrBr1Y

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

spog posted:

I get your point, but you could argue that Doctor Who entered a death spiral with the sixth doctor and died out with little dismay at the end of the seventh.

The ninth Doctor onwards could be considered a reboot in many ways.

That really goes to show how much the show relies on the showrunner. Colin Baker's Sixth Doctor was brilliant, but the showrunners really sabotaged his tenure.

The Big Finish audio dramas really vindicated his character. Big Finish is legit better than the TV show, and the reboot owes a ton to it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

As amazing as the whole cast is, it would not have survived this long without Devito.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

She was great in Deadbeat. That show was good.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Lady Gaga episode was the lowest rated episode pretty much ever, so it can only go lower.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

lifg posted:

After rewatching some early episodes of Star Trek TNG, I'm surprised it ever got to season 2. It is not good. I remember loving the returns of it when I was a kid.

I don't know if the early episodes aged poorly, or if I've just aged.

There's a pretty good documentary about TNG on Netflix called "Chaos on the Bridge." It's really good. Covers the creation of the show and all the turmoil it went though in those early days. It's a miracle it got a second season.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Smithers is Burnsexual.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

I believe Groening eventually talked about the black Smithers thing and it was just a coloring error. They had quite a few problems with the studio they originally went with including having to basically redo the entire episode about the babysitter who robs people because everything was completely off model and out of style for the show.

He did. And I'm not one to question the guy who made the show. But I always wondered why the coloring error was localized to Smithers only. He's the same shade as everyone else is, why didn't anyone else get discolored?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The new Scrooge McDuck has a flip-phone while everyone else has smart-phones.

I need to start watching that.

I don't watch too many animes, but one of my favorites is Cromartie High School. It's basically if Fist of the North Star as a Looney Toons-esque comedy at a high school.

The first episode has a hard usage of "fags." It doesn't match the tone of the show at all. It just comes out of nowhere, kinda like it does in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. One of the characters is even Freddie Mercury, so you'd think they'd try not to be homophobic. Thankfully, it doesn't show up anywhere else to my knowledge.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

Dude, I’ve never even watched the Wire and I’m only 5 episodes into Mad Men. I’ve got so much good TV ahead of me.

Be sure to binge The Wire or any other HBO shows you've been meaning to see on Amazon Prime before they leave next year. That announcement finally got me to watch The Wire. It was fantastic. I'm wondering if it'll get a revival now that everything else is.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ein cooler Typ posted:

where the heck do you live that mini golf is called crazy golf

I watched Close Encounters of the Third Kind earlier this month and he called it "Goofy Golf."

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SpacePig posted:

I'm sure that's part of it, but my guess is that it's probably more because Skylar was a woman.

It totally had to be that. So many people couldn't even stop to think about what it must have been like from her POV. Imagine your spouse, who you've been with for decades, has been lying to you, and is now a murderous, psychopathic meth dealer.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tsaedje posted:

We're much more used to unconventional looking celebrities, plus a combination of don't judge a book by its cover, "if he was actually as creepy as he seems they'd never allow him on TV, surely?" and his carefully constructed smokescreen of charitable work. Harmless eccentricity has been a staple of British celebrity for so long, when you have someone who's not actually harmless they blend in more than you might think.

It's one of those things where pedophiles/serial killers are never the person you'd suspect. But sometimes they are. So you can't trust anybody.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Military tactics that did not age well

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think it was a thing where they couldn't legally get him to sing without paying him whatever his fee was at the time, so they were basically forced into getting the impersonator. That's what I remember them saying in the commentary, something to that effect. I think MJ was friends with the impersonator. It really wasn't a thing where he refused to sing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Steve Martin takes roles these days to fund his two passions, buying art and playing banjo. He's got it all figured out.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Steel Panther is all too self-aware about that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Not a TV episode that didn't age well, but this week's South Park was about Kyle realizing the comedy of his heroes Terrance and Philip didn't age well.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

His cousin used to be my friend's handyman. We called him "Crackhead Carl." Well, that's my Chris Titus story.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Married With Children might have the best live audience.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Shame Will Smith waited too long to do a new Parents Just Don't Understand from the other perspective.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I feel like I hallucinated this but I remember them asking Trump at the roast if he's going to run for president and he said he wasn't going to.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Today I learned that this trend of sequel series is nothing new, with there being a Leave it Beaver sequel series that ran until 1989.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

I don't recall any jokes about Disney in the good Simpsons seasons

While Itchy and Scratchy are mostly a take on Tom and Jerry, they liked to liken it to Mickey Mouse for stuff. Itchy and Scratchyland was a riff on Disneyland.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm watching The Rockford Files. Angel, a con artist type character is talking about how he's getting richer and how he wants to have his own Al Capone style mansion, but he's going to have telephones in every room.

Posted from my Galaxy S8+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ArtIsResistance posted:

I appreciate British TV because your guys' stars aren't exclusively really attractive people but on the downside they're really hard to look at