Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Pladdicus posted:

What was the annotation in episode one D:?

It was at the end of the video. Annotations got booted to the curb thanks to YouTube's need to constantly innovate rather than improve

Edit: new page gently caress

CJacobs posted:

Today we head across the Great Bridge to reach Cathedral Ward and encounter absolutely no resistance along the way whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Just adding another bit of thanks to the pile. The way you're presenting this is honestly beautiful, and it also seems very well planned out considering how far you've already progressed in those two videos despite the slow pace. I have never played Bloodborne for lack of a PS4, but have watched and read so much about it that the streets of Yharnam are starting to feel almost homely. Getting to see them in such exhaustive detail is really nice.

On that note, a small question (that is probably not actually a spoiler, but just in case): Are you going to show off all the points where landmarks are visible from other locations? It seemed like you were already subtly doing that when you looked at a certain tower, but an explicit rundown of all those vistas would be appreciated :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Carpator Diei posted:

Just adding another bit of thanks to the pile. The way you're presenting this is honestly beautiful, and it also seems very well planned out considering how far you've already progressed in those two videos despite the slow pace.

Oh yeah, believe me, I was very meticulous about the path I'm gonna carve through these areas. I actually did two walk-only playthroughs, the one you're seeing and one beforehand to figure out what routes would flow the best. Central Yharnam for example forms one massive figure-eight if you go Gilbert -> bonfire courtyard -> werewolf bridge -> sewer -> young girl -> werewolf bridge -> Gilbert, with only a tiny amount of backtracking to return to the bridge. In the next episode we'll see the entire rest of the level with absolutely no retreading of areas we've already been to, and I find that to be pretty fascinating!

Carpator Diei posted:

On that note, a small question (that is probably not actually a spoiler, but just in case): Are you going to show off all the points where landmarks are visible from other locations? It seemed like you were already subtly doing that when you looked at a certain tower, but an explicit rundown of all those vistas would be appreciated :v:

Yes, I will be showing that stuff off. Particularly interesting/pretty ones I'll make note of out loud! Especially once we upgrade our toolkit with some binoculars of some kind.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

CJacobs posted:

Yes, I will be showing that stuff off. Particularly interesting/pretty ones I'll make note of out loud! Especially once we upgrade our toolkit with some binoculars of some kind.

Binoculars? No, that's heresy. Now, if you had some kind of... Oh, I don't know... Single-eye magnifier... Like binoculars, but only one. Bah, but I'm talking nonsense.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Believe me, there are lots of jokes about steampunk magnifying glasses in the near future!

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Kinda makes you wonder why there aren't more goggles in Bloodborne.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
They wouldn't do anything anyway.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Lazy Bear posted:

Kinda makes you wonder why there aren't more goggles in Bloodborne.

An argument could be made that the world of Bloodborne, or at least Yarham's region of it, is more biopunk than steampunk despite the era it mirrors.

That's a neat idea for a setting - gothic, weird-horror biopunk.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

LashLightning posted:

An argument could be made that the world of Bloodborne, or at least Yarham's region of it, is more biopunk than steampunk despite the era it mirrors.

That's a neat idea for a setting - gothic, weird-horror biopunk.

I keep wanting to see a good tabletop adaptation to Bloodborne, and I think that's what the one I've seen was missing. That and cohesive mechanics.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

LashLightning posted:

I wouldn't describe Bloodborne as at all steampunk, featuring neither steam- nor -punk.
It's Regency as gently caress though. See: Frankenstein.

Edit: if oil urns double the damage of the next fire attack, instead of throwing an urn then a molotov why not throw two molotovs?

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Aug 9, 2017

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

The Lone Badger posted:

I wouldn't describe Bloodborne as at all steampunk, featuring neither steam- nor -punk.

Sorry! I took your comment of goggles being an illusion to "it looking more steampunk", as a proliferation of goggles is the go-to main image of steampunk, other than gears being stuck to everything for no reason.

Looking forward to more episodes. When I was watching other let's plays, I never really noticed the 'towers' in the far, foggy distance when you're in the Hunter's Dream.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Lone Badger posted:

Edit: if oil urns double the damage of the next fire attack, instead of throwing an urn then a molotov why not throw two molotovs?

Well, the way it works is a little bit more complicated than I described. There are a couple of debuff items and throwables in Bloodborne and they don't quite add a +50% Damage Of This Type bonus to the enemy. Instead what they do is chop the fire resistance of the enemy in half. In practice this equates to double damage, but for enemies that are weak to fire that final number skyrockets.

edit: For example, the Cleric Beast is really weak to fire, sitting at a meager 50 compared to its other defenses which are very high at 165.

(physical, blunt, thrust,
bloodtinge, arcane, fire, bolt)

A molotov + oil urn hits the Cleric Beast for 315 damage in the video. Comparatively, one without only hits for 159. The reason it does twice as much is because the Cleric Beast is already weak to fire and I cut its already low defenses in half. Both damage numbers would be much lower if it had some fire resistance. Basically, oil urns are more effective on enemies that are already weak to fire (which is most of them).

So in practice, yes, you could just toss two molotovs instead of an oil urn and a molotov, but you're only allowed to carry 10 molotovs so it's better to get your mileage out of them.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 9, 2017

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The fact that you are limited to ten (of anything) really sucks, imo.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

The fact that you are limited to ten (of anything) really sucks, imo.

Luckily you can carry 20 of the most trilling item in the game.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
I'm loving the chill pace of the game, tho the combat is WAY faster than the other souls games I've played.

Bravo! More of this!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
That's some excellent routin'!

Also I never realized just HOW intended falling down from the Hunter's Set ledge is - didn't notice the rafters that let you do it without taking damage. Neat!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The people of Central Yharnam have not been very friendly to us so far, and as a matter of fact I think I'd say quite the opposite. So let's leave!

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
For what's worth i didn't notice the first crossfade until you brought attention to it.

I died so, so many times to Father Gascoigne and you made it look so easy. Twice.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
My very first time fighting Gascoigne I was also using the Hunter's Axe and Blunderbuss, so the 'fighting yourself' thing was even more true.

At least until he cheats in his second phase with the gun, and then goes furry.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
When it comes to Spiders in media I tend not to mind them despite being weirded out by them IRL. I think it's the degree of separation, but also when in media they get stupid big, so my brain no longer goes "OH GOD SPIDER!" but instead goes "OK, you've lost me. There is no way that is real. Now you're just being silly. :colbert:"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I wonder.

Why are there rowboats in the sewer?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I wonder.

Why are there rowboats in the sewer?

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/quite-likely-the-worst-job-ever-319843/ perhaps?

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Seeing someone "back-stab" the giant pig always gives me James Herriot flashbacks.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That means that the beast guys with the sticks are litter pickers!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Not gonna lie, it's a little weird hearing how calm and relaxed you are now compared to how super pumped you were a few months ago whenever you were on my LP. :v: The Papa G fight was real good though and I appreciated how you timed the music box so the third use about coincided with him transforming.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of which, I was in Chaos Argate's blind bloodborne LP a while back! You should go watch it, it was really fun and makes for a good alternate way to experience the game. Also, I'm in the episode with the spiders (by personal request).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

All of the sessions with CJacobs have kindly been labeled if you just wanna hear him get pumped about me shoving my arm shoulder-deep into a pig! It's almost like I foresaw something like this! Also the LP's done so spoilers abound if you're going in blind, I guess? Man, that's a weird warning to slap onto a blind LP. :v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Antistar01 posted:

Seeing someone "back-stab" the giant pig always gives me James Herriot flashbacks.
All creatures great and small are out to kill you.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of which, I was in Chaos Argate's blind bloodborne LP a while back! You should go watch it, it was really fun and makes for a good alternate way to experience the game. Also, I'm in the episode with the spiders (by personal request).

So I have to ask, and I don't want to be rude, but I'm curious. Were you playing up your arachnophobia or is that literally how it feels to see those spiders? Because holy hell that's debilitating.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I was playing it up a little bit mostly because people find it funny to hear me freak out about them, but yes, I did have my face in my hands for most of that episode. Spiders are terrifying, especially if they're the size of a Jeep Grand Cherokee™!

I explain this in every LP I take part in that involves spiders (there's a hell of a lot of them for some reason!) but I do have real spider induced trauma in real-life so it's not just me being a scaredy cat I promise! So I'll explain it again now, this way I can just quote myself when we finally get to that episode in like 100 years.

I am allergic to spider venom, and here's how I found that out: I live in the midwest, which is the home of the brown recluse (don't look it up), one of few actually venomous spiders out there in the continental US. Well, when I was about 10 years old, one of them snuck under my bedsheets and when I climbed in to go to bed I must have scared it because it bit me right on the leg. Normally, according to my doctor anyway, house spider bites are non lethal and at most will damage the nerve tissue of wherever you get bitten. However, for me it caused an allergic reaction and I almost died because of this stupid little shitstain fucker and I've been scared of them ever since!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 15, 2017

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I mean phobias are phobias, it's not like you can just decide not to be triggered by [thing]. You don't have to explain, but I was curious because from an outside perspective, having not encountered people with arachnophobia (that I know of at least), the reaction felt a bit ... extreme.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh I know, I just like telling the story because then people go "ooooohhhh ok".

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Good thing there aren't any spiders in this game then!

White Coke
May 29, 2015

CJacobs posted:

Oh I know, I just like telling the story because then people go "ooooohhhh ok".

If you're afraid of spiders because they can kill you it isn't really a phobia. We don't call people gunphobes.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Hoplophobes, and yes we do.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Bad Gehrman, Doll is our friend! :gonk:

Maiden in Black > Doll (but only just) > Bonfire > Emerald Herald

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bonfire >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sorry anybody else you tried, but the Doll is good

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Agreed. The key to happiness is to have a level-up mechanic capable of shutting up. Bearer, seek, seek, lest.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

CJacobs posted:

The people of Central Yharnam have not been very friendly to us so far, and as a matter of fact I think I'd say quite the opposite. So let's leave!

Yharnam was definitely designed with a primary focus on player progression rather than potential comfort for those who are supposed to live there, but I think it does give off the impression of a city that has grown extremely rapidly and haphazardly on limited space, with houses and districts quite literally stacked on top of one another amongst an incomprehensible web of alleys, staircases, promenades and short streets that were quite obviously constructed without a clear notion of where they would end up leading to. I’ve always found it to be a very peculiar sort of atmosphere, and quite an interesting thematic use of the constraints of level design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Yharnam's favourite pastime is pig-fisting. It's true.

Equally true is that it's super fun to listen to CJakes freak out about the spiders in Argate's LP. I seriously cannot wait for him to get to said spiders in his own relaxing stroll through the game.