Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Nice. I've been looking forward to this LP starting. Funnily enough, Slowbeef's Bloodborne LP is what finally got me to try jumping playing Dark Souls, but it was a blind LP of course. It'll be cool to get some idea of what's actually going on in Bloodborne, story-wise. Especially since I'll never get to play the game myself since I'm not buying a PS4 for a single game!

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

Lore LPs are excellent, and since Fae isn't along for the ride, it won't devolve into dong and egg chat.

I don't know, personally I've been hoping for a CJacobs + Fae Dongborne stream as a side thing. The Dong Souls stream was an all-round good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Seeing someone "back-stab" the giant pig always gives me James Herriot flashbacks.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I don't have a problem with selling unique items in Souls games that you're never going to use... theoretically. In reality I don't think I've ever actually done it - I mean I hardly even use soul items most of the time. I really only use them if I'm just shy of having enough to get another level, or a weapon upgrade or something. I seem to finish the Dark Souls games with dozens of soul items in my inventory.

I don't know how I'd go with Bloodborne specifically (release it on PC Sony you bastards :argh:), but it seems like you could sell unique items... but probably don't really need to.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Well... drat. Sorry to hear that, man. :negative:

I don't know much about Crohn's Disease, but from a quick look at the wikipedia article on it I see prednisolone and methotrexate mentioned as commonly used medications to treat it. If it's any consolation, I've been on those off and on (mostly on) since I was nineteen - when I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis - and I've never had any problems with them. (Pretty small mercy, I know - but still.)

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Man, you really cannot catch a break. Hope the surgery goes well!

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I'm somewhat prone to simulation sickness, and while the usual cause is of course the FOV being too low, low frame-rates can do it too. Even something like 30 FPS sometimes, yeah. So that's a pretty important one. Sometimes games become less responsive when the FPS gets low, too.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
When you get right down to it, isn't night-time just one big shadow cast by the planet you're standing on?

makes u think

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
If that's mercury in that swamp then I think Bloodborne is embellishing its toxicity a bit; otherwise that idiot in my high school science class all those years ago who tipped some mercury into his cupped hand in order to play around with it would have keeled over dead on the spot. (This is directly after we were told it was poisonous, for the record.)

Interesting thing about mercury if you've never held, like, a vial of it or something; it's really heavy. It feels like you're holding something that should be several times the size it is.

Anyway, it's good to have this back. Next best thing to being able to being able to play it myself, and I'm still not going to buy a PS4 for one game.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
This nightmare realm stuff reminds me of Clive Barker's Undying. It did a pretty good job of portraying nightmarish alternate dimensions too.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
The fairly unpleasant idea of immortality even when "pasted" always gives me the heebie-jeebies. It mainly makes me think of a Clive Barker story I read once, but I think some of Anne Rice's vampire novels had that kind of thing too.

I'm mostly familiar with mi-gos from Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. Even in an ASCII/tile-based game, they managed to make them kind of creepy. (Mainly due to the way they perfectly mimic sounds they've heard; including voices.)

Gorilla Salad posted:

The cutscene where the blood moon hangs low is one of my favourite in the whole series.

Close enough to touch, almost.

Yeah I like that one. There's another one coming up at some point that I like even more, though. Can't remember the exact context, but it was pretty creepy.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Man, that fight with the Crow of Cainhurst looked miserable. A ridiculous damage sponge that can virtually insta-kill you. Seems like a real "what were they thinking?" encounter.

The rest of the stuff in this part was great, though. For how often the term is used, it sure doesn't feel like there's much Lovecraftian horror out there in games.

Speaking of games that are good at showing you places you've been - or will go to in the future - off in the distance, the original Unreal was great at that, believe it or not. Its levels were huge - like, monumentally huge - and sometimes with landmarks that you'd reach and think "hey, I've been seeing that in the sky-box for half the game already". It made you feel like you'd crossed a whole country on foot, by the end of the game. (This was the nineties, too - so long games were long.)

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
My first exposure to Bloodborne was via Slowbeef's LP, so for me the Make Contact gesture will always be known as the "Llllloser!" gesture. :v:

I can't remember if they ever worked out what - if anything - that gesture did. I only remember them trying it on lots of things - i.e. calling lots of things losers. I'll be curious to see if it does anything. The way you get it is certainly ominous.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
That close-up of Ludwig's face when he looks at his sword really stuck with me from the previous LP of Bloodborne I watched. Because at first he just looks like this big gribbly flesh-golem monster thing, but then there's his human face in there. It's really well framed. (And obviously ties in well with his character.)

That did seem like a pretty great boss fight, too. It kind of reminded me of the Slave Knight Gael fight from the Ringed City DLC for Dark Souls 3. Climactic, intense, atmospheric, amazing music, etc. Man that was a great fight. Like the Artorias fight in DS1, it felt really hard, but also like I just clicked with it, so that I didn't have nearly as much trouble with it as I did with many of the other bosses in the Souls games. I actually beat Gael on my second attempt, believe it or not. :smuggo:

I don't know that I'd do as well against Ludwig, though. That looked brutal. Bloodborne as a whole looks more difficult than the Souls games. Maybe it's not so bad once you get a feel for it by actually playing it, though? I wouldn't know, because again... Bloodborne isn't available on PC. :negative:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Speaking of the Souls games, this area is reminding me a lot of the Duke's Archives - and the mad patients remind me a bit of the bloathead enemies in Artorias of the Abyss.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Man, just look at those massed, incredibly hard-hitting enemies swinging right through each other to hit you, while not damaging each other...

It's a well-worn criticism at this point, but in games that focus so much on positioning in combat, it's pretty glaring. If From Software makes another Souls-like game, it's one of the big things I hope they fix. Alongside actually releasing it on PC this time. (Sony :argh:)

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
^^^^^^^^^^^^ Edit: Wow.... jinx. :v: ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tempest_56 posted:

I personally like that you can see the 'lineage' of the fight - if you watch how she moves and compare it to other games, it's easy to see she builds off of the Artorias fight in DS1 and in turn that the Abyss Watchers in DS3 draw heavily from her.

Not coincidentally, all are drat fun fights for similar reasons.

The Maria fight was reminding me of the boss at the end of the Ashes of Ariandel DLC for Dark Souls 3... coincidentally the fight I had the most trouble with out of all the fights in the entire Dark Souls series. I think it took me over four hours to get past that.

The nostalgia was really kicking in with that Silent Hill 4 song. At first I couldn't place exactly which SH game it was from (out of 2, 3 and 4). I was thinking SH2 for a moment there, considering - you know... "Maria".

Antistar01 fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 19, 2018

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

CJacobs posted:

* Make sure you watch this episode (and all my future LP videos) with YouTube's 4K setting to take advantage of the higher bitrate they offer at that quality! Even if you only watch on a 1080p screen or smaller, you will still see the videos in staggeringly higher quality than the 1080p setting! Look here for my explanation of what I've done to achieve this and how it works!

I'd love to take advantage of that, but the 4K video is like 3.8 GB compared to the 1080p video's ~0.9 GB, and my typically Australian Internet access (slow, limited and expensive) just isn't up to it.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Oh, so that's where the "Lllllllooooser" gesture is used. Man, Souls games and their obscure "use a specific gesture in a specific place" puzzles. That one seems especially harsh considering just how long you have to stand there holding the gesture for, with nothing apparently happening.

...What did that actually do, though? It gave you something called a "Moon"?

I liked the way you find the brain thing, though; just walking up on it in the darkness. That was suitably creepy. I seem to remember them doing something similar in part of Dark Souls 3.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Thanks for the LP! It must have been a titanic amount of work. I've said it before, but it's an incredible shame I'll probably never get to play the game myself since I just can't justify buying a PS4... so this is the next best thing, I think. Unless at some point in the future there's a "Bloodborne Remastered" or something that also gets a PC release.

Anyway; going directly from the Gehrman fight into the Moon Presence fight, I was worried for a moment that the game was going to rudely dump you right into it with all your resources still depleted. Dark Souls 3 kind of does that a few times, from memory. But no; thankfully it auto-replenished your blood vials and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

CJacobs posted:

They do. If you pause real quick right after the fadeout from the Moon Presence intro cutscene you can see that I'm running back from the fog gate because they tried to make me fight it with like 0 blood vials and I was not having that!

But it is actually a much more tense fight that way.

Ah, okay. That is more the kind of brutality I was expecting.

But it at least doesn't make you fight Gehrman all over again if you die/teleport out of the Moon Presence fight, then?