Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

RYYSZLA posted:

So after having watched a few "why your build sucks" guides, I re-tooled to this:

https://pastebin.com/3tjB0Zzh

Still using abyssus for a massive, massive DPS boost, this build deletes entire mobs up to Map Teir 13 (my new highest!) without dying to anything but the nastiest one-shot bosses, my question now is if i swap the Physical Damage Support from Infernal Blow for Melee Splash (Swap 58% phys for 51% AD) to make it better at clearing will I have totally gimped the DPS as per PoB or is it just not calculating properly?

0. You really need to clean up your PoB. Looks like you've re-imported your character several times but haven't deleted your old gear and skills. Having a hard time sussing out what you're actually using.

1. You have drat near every checkbox under the sun clicked, which in no way reflects reality. Let's stick with having Sirus set as the enemy. In that case, we also need to remove the following:

*Frenzy Charges (Blood Rage only grants frenzy charges on kill, Sirus has no adds)
*Power Charges (you have no source for these)
*All of your flasks (you're not a Pathfinder, the only way you're refilling flasks during the fight is by dying, which you will do a lot) and subsequently Consecrated Ground, Onslaught and lucky crit chance as you're only getting those from your flasks (you're not getting lucky crit period, but even if you had a Diamond flask equipped it'd still be turned off here).
*Enemy is bleeding/maimed (you're dealing pure fire damage, so neither of these apply)
*Onslaught (you're only source is from your flask, see above)

All of that takes your IB DPS from 1.7M to 700K. That's a nice number to make that fight feel completely miserable, especially because...

2. Your defenses suck. You need either lots of recovery so that if something hits you your back to full life in an instant, lots of mitigation so that you can just shrug off drat near anything or lots of avoidance so that you never get damaged in the first place. Your regen/leech is merely ok, 7k armor isn't all that much and you have a fairly low EV with next to no Dodge and no Block.

On top of that, you only have 120% life from the tree (150% would be a baaaaaare minimum for someone who knows what they're doing, new players should be aiming more towards 180%) and -60% chaos resistance. I can see you getting one-shot or quickly DoT'd to death a lot.

3. What guides are you following for Ngamahu's Flame? Because you have exactly one support that's actually doing something from Molten Burst, which is kind of missing the point of using Ngamahu's Flame in the first place. Generally speaking the point of that axe is to hit really really fast so that you can poo poo out Molten Bursts, which thanks to it being a skill built into a 2H weapon, you can fairly easily make into a 7L skill by just getting 6S on the axe.

I know that doesn't actually answer your question, but you've got more pressing questions than that.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

The above is legit the kind of thinking you gotta go through to handle endgame boss fights. Like I said last time, sheer lack of experience means you're implying a lot more questions than you're outright asking. If your goal is to just tool around random maps and die sometimes then it doesn't matter much, but the usual assumption when people present a build is that they want to handle both map clearing and boss fighting adequately.

POB is pretty good at damage calculations, especially with stuff like changing basic support gems out. And yeah, losing a 50% more damage modifier is going to drop your damage by 1/3. You're going from 1.5 to 1.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

If you don't mind a handout I can give you my Ngamahu cyclone chieftain gear since I no longer play him. It's not great but it's significantly better than what you have.

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

whypick1 posted:

0. You really need to clean up your PoB. Looks like you've re-imported your character several times but haven't deleted your old gear and skills. Having a hard time sussing out what you're actually using.

1. You have drat near every checkbox under the sun clicked, which in no way reflects reality. Let's stick with having Sirus set as the enemy. In that case, we also need to remove the following:

*Frenzy Charges (Blood Rage only grants frenzy charges on kill, Sirus has no adds)
*Power Charges (you have no source for these)
*All of your flasks (you're not a Pathfinder, the only way you're refilling flasks during the fight is by dying, which you will do a lot) and subsequently Consecrated Ground, Onslaught and lucky crit chance as you're only getting those from your flasks (you're not getting lucky crit period, but even if you had a Diamond flask equipped it'd still be turned off here).
*Enemy is bleeding/maimed (you're dealing pure fire damage, so neither of these apply)
*Onslaught (you're only source is from your flask, see above)

All of that takes your IB DPS from 1.7M to 700K. That's a nice number to make that fight feel completely miserable, especially because...

2. Your defenses suck. You need either lots of recovery so that if something hits you your back to full life in an instant, lots of mitigation so that you can just shrug off drat near anything or lots of avoidance so that you never get damaged in the first place. Your regen/leech is merely ok, 7k armor isn't all that much and you have a fairly low EV with next to no Dodge and no Block.

On top of that, you only have 120% life from the tree (150% would be a baaaaaare minimum for someone who knows what they're doing, new players should be aiming more towards 180%) and -60% chaos resistance. I can see you getting one-shot or quickly DoT'd to death a lot.

3. What guides are you following for Ngamahu's Flame? Because you have exactly one support that's actually doing something from Molten Burst, which is kind of missing the point of using Ngamahu's Flame in the first place. Generally speaking the point of that axe is to hit really really fast so that you can poo poo out Molten Bursts, which thanks to it being a skill built into a 2H weapon, you can fairly easily make into a 7L skill by just getting 6S on the axe.

I know that doesn't actually answer your question, but you've got more pressing questions than that.

Ngamathus' flame isn't the main thing of the build, it's infernal blow physical, gimme a min and i'll find the link to the forum post I went off

Note that only like 1k of my dps comes from ignite. I have 100% chance to defend with double armor so that 7k is 14k, then with the potion on it adds 3000, so I've got something like 18k overall with the potion up. when the tree's finished I should have 160% extra life, getting the life diamond is my next thing.

As for dying to chaos dots.... i'm not sure what but something I've got on makes me immune to poisons, even on maps with "enemies poison on hit" and I get hit a lot, I don't get poisoned. I'm not sure how. As for the regen, all I do is click something, anything, and I'm back at full health. Im not sure PoB correctly calculates this, seeing as on paper I have "eh" health leech, but in practice up to T13 maps (so far the highest i've done) the only things that can take more than a 10th of my HP in a hit are bosses.

quote:

3. What guides are you following for Ngamahu's Flame?

I'm not, https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2874329, only it turned out after I was already up to about level 50 that this was less of a guide more of a guy showcasing "Hey look at the cool gear i've peiced together across 10 leagues" but I figure I've put like 20 hours into it now why not try and make it into something actually viable? the build doesn't even use Ngathama's im just using it as a placeholder until I get a proper fleshripper with crit bonus. Basically it's a stop-gap IIRC

Suspicious posted:

If you don't mind a handout I can give you my Ngamahu cyclone chieftain gear since I no longer play him. It's not great but it's significantly better than what you have.

The problem is the build im going for doesn't actually use Ngamahus' when you've got the right gear. I have to drop all my +% Ele DMG stuff for +Crit Chance or something, and then I will do more than double the DPS supposedly. But I suppose beggars shouldn't be choosers, so if you're willing I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands if you aren't using it at all!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

RYYSZLA posted:

Ngamathus' flame isn't the main thing of the build, it's infernal blow physical

Ngamahu's flame: "60% of Physical Damage Converted to Fire Damage"

+

Infernal blow: "60% of Physical Damage Converted to Fire Damage"

=

All fire damage

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Suspicious posted:

I can use it for sure . I’m still progressing a ngamhu

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

euphronius posted:

I can use it for sure . I’m still progressing a ngamhu

Post your charname or holler in global 5555.

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

Arrhythmia posted:

Ngamahu's flame: "60% of Physical Damage Converted to Fire Damage"

+

Infernal blow: "60% of Physical Damage Converted to Fire Damage"

=

All fire damage

well gently caress, this explains a lot. Thanks.

Question then: swapping the ngamahu's out for all the other stuff, like crit chance etc, will that cripple me?

Also @whypick1 apparently I maim, bleed and taunt on hit so do I re-check those?

ninja: @suspicious, give the stuff to the other guy! im too invested in this build tbh

RYYSZLA fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 2, 2020

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

RYYSZLA posted:

Also @whypick1 apparently I maim, bleed and taunt on hit so do I re-check those?

Taunt you keep (because Conqueror), you don't inflict Bleeding since you're 100% fire damage (at least with IB) and you can Maim with Dismembering, but the only benefit you get is the reduced enemy movement speed, which doesn't show up in the stat sheet.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

RYYSZLA posted:

So after having watched a few "why your build sucks" guides, I re-tooled to this:

https://pastebin.com/3tjB0Zzh

Still using abyssus for a massive, massive DPS boost, this build deletes entire mobs up to Map Teir 13 (my new highest!) without dying to anything but the nastiest one-shot bosses, my question now is if i swap the Physical Damage Support from Infernal Blow for Melee Splash (Swap 58% phys for 51% AD) to make it better at clearing will I have totally gimped the DPS as per PoB or is it just not calculating properly?

Along with what whypick's mentioned, there's the following points;

-You only have vaal haste on for short bursts during boss fights, you're not doing 700k dps, you're doing 500k.

- You've got 8% mana unreserved, and not even an enduring mana flask to make up the difference.

- You've got imbalanced guard, but that's actually hurting you. You want 10-15k armour before flasks for imbalanced guard to be worth it.

-You've got Ngamahu's flame but you're totally ignoring the damage molten burst will add.

Also, while you do maim on hit, you definitely don't bleed. There's nothing thats gives you chance to bleed.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Suspicious posted:

Post your charname or holler in global 5555.

Ankarl_ngama

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013
Gotcha, thanks guys.

Unchecked bleeding, as for vaal haste - I deliberately keep it for the bosses, all of which bar the conqueror's I ran into died in under 6 seconds

as for 8% mana unreserved - I only need 36 total after auras and things or something, and have 47 free. Basically I leap slam onto something, which gives me mana regen out the wazoo, I infernal blow one thing, half the screen blows up, my mana is full again, I leap slam to the next thing, repeat. Alternate infernal blow with totems, so leap slam > attack > leap slam > totem > leap slam > attack ad infinitum. Even on maps with "players have no mana regen" the leech I get fills it on click, or on leap slam.

As for imbalanced guard - I can refund that point for now then? I won't have 10k+ armor til I find a 6l I can replace my tabula rasa with, which is proving rather difficult

How do I get molten burst up in this then?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

RYYSZLA posted:

How do I get molten burst up in this then?

Throw supports into your axe. For skills that come from items, they are linked to all sockets in that item, so the sockets don't need to be linked to themselves at all. Molten Burst is Fire, Attack, Projectile, AoE.

The thing is though, it only has a 20% chance to trigger on hit, so if you're going to be using that as your primary damage dealer, you need to hit very fast and/or very often. Commonly this is done with either Cyclone (great way to hit a bunch of monsters at once, plus that whole mobility thing) or Molten Strike (since each ball gives a chance to trigger Molten Burst). If you're going to stick with Infernal Blow and Ngamahu's Flame isn't your end-game weapon, probably best to just leave that alone then.

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

whypick1 posted:

Throw supports into your axe. For skills that come from items, they are linked to all sockets in that item, so the sockets don't need to be linked to themselves at all. Molten Burst is Fire, Attack, Projectile, AoE.

The thing is though, it only has a 20% chance to trigger on hit, so if you're going to be using that as your primary damage dealer, you need to hit very fast and/or very often. Commonly this is done with either Cyclone (great way to hit a bunch of monsters at once, plus that whole mobility thing) or Molten Strike (since each ball gives a chance to trigger Molten Burst). If you're going to stick with Infernal Blow and Ngamahu's Flame isn't your end-game weapon, probably best to just leave that alone then.

I've grown really attached to clicking like two buttons and deleting whole screens, compared to the playing the piano that is the cobra lash build so, probably gonna just leave it for now and then swap out ngamahu's at the first oppertunity

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

RYYSZLA posted:

as for 8% mana unreserved - I only need 36 total after auras and things or something, and have 47 free. Basically I leap slam onto something, which gives me mana regen out the wazoo, I infernal blow one thing, half the screen blows up, my mana is full again, I leap slam to the next thing, repeat. Alternate infernal blow with totems, so leap slam > attack > leap slam > totem > leap slam > attack ad infinitum. Even on maps with "players have no mana regen" the leech I get fills it on click, or on leap slam.

With your mana pool and your mana recovery being what they are, your sustained bossing dps is actually a lot lower than the pob number. You leech can't keep up with your expenditure at all.

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

Dance Officer posted:

With your mana pool and your mana recovery being what they are, your sustained bossing dps is actually a lot lower than the pob number. You leech can't keep up with your expenditure at all.

it does though, so what I'm getting from this is that it -shouldnt-?

I use infernal blow on a boss once, it chunks it a shitload, I leap slam onto the boss (uses blood magic), this refills my mana enough to do another infernal blow OR totem, which also provides mana when it hits the boss, so as long as I don't mess up the skill rotation, I effectively have permanent ability to use whichever skill I want.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

While this does work, you're going to kill bosses much much faster if you can just wail on them with your main attack skill and not have to wait for regen.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

RYYSZLA posted:

it does though, so what I'm getting from this is that it -shouldnt-?

I use infernal blow on a boss once, it chunks it a shitload, I leap slam onto the boss (uses blood magic), this refills my mana enough to do another infernal blow OR totem, which also provides mana when it hits the boss, so as long as I don't mess up the skill rotation, I effectively have permanent ability to use whichever skill I want.

dude are you really arguing that attacking once every second is the same DPS as attacking once every three seconds?????

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

Jinnigan posted:

dude are you really arguing that attacking once every second is the same DPS as attacking once every three seconds?????

No?

the way I had my PoB setup was according to posts by the guy who made the build in the first place who said you're looking at this and thinking "burst damage" not actual DPS. Often the third hit of infernal blow procs like.... everything else in the build and things that aren't somehow augmented by %decreased physical or elemental damage or whatever is proc'd and buffed by those three hits so it's all dead in one click, is the idea. Did you click the link I gave to the "guide" that I followed? all this was in there bud

Dance Officer posted:

While this does work, you're going to kill bosses much much faster if you can just wail on them with your main attack skill and not have to wait for regen.

Gotcha. Gonna mess around with some things and see if I can make that better then. Perhaps drop anger? only gives me 100k extra damage atm and is the majority of mana reserved

edit: "fixed" (????) pob https://pastebin.com/hbcCmG3Y

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Anger is contributing less than 10% to your DPS and is reserving a shitload of mana. The guide you're following uses it because it has two god-tier Anger mods on it, so unless you can come up with 20+ex to buy a similar Eye, you should ditch it.

edit: Looking at burst damage is nice, but you at the very least need to add another zero onto the end of that DPS number to get into "one-shot bosses" territory to where that setup is actually realistic.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 2, 2020

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

RYYSZLA posted:

No?

the way I had my PoB setup was according to posts by the guy who made the build in the first place who said you're looking at this and thinking "burst damage" not actual DPS. Often the third hit of infernal blow procs like.... everything else in the build and things that aren't somehow augmented by %decreased physical or elemental damage or whatever is proc'd and buffed by those three hits so it's all dead in one click, is the idea. Did you click the link I gave to the "guide" that I followed? all this was in there bud

Gotcha. Gonna mess around with some things and see if I can make that better then. Perhaps drop anger? only gives me 100k extra damage atm and is the majority of mana reserved

edit: "fixed" (????) pob https://pastebin.com/hbcCmG3Y

I did some messing around with your pob, and got this for a level 90 build: https://pastebin.com/0HvEH8ru

Features:
-194% life instead of 120%
-flesh and stone instead of Anger
-about 10% dps lost

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZx8bdBxLsY

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pdzjletbsYrR4ccEkGOdyv_xUeFNTfwKWCzAPkdyKGQ/edit

my opinion: i guess this probably is a real thing. who knows. however tarke is not very insightful

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
lol he seriously argues that GGG manifestos take away from content development

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

dyzzy posted:

lol he seriously argues that GGG manifestos take away from content development

Get that community manager making code commits, it can only speed things up!

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

Dance Officer posted:

I did some messing around with your pob, and got this for a level 90 build: https://pastebin.com/0HvEH8ru

Features:
-194% life instead of 120%
-flesh and stone instead of Anger
-about 10% dps lost

this looks really useful, thanks a lot mate! appreciated

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

if dev manifestos really take away from content development they should hire somebody who is involved earlier on in development that is like "bloom is ugly and is actively uncomfortable for some people to look at, maybe we shouldn't force it on" or "maybe your league mechanic shouldn't be all the same color"

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Neither God nor man can make me watch a 17 minute long youtube video about people on reddit not liking a video game.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Anyone who has worked on a large development project knows better than to complain about the quality of the game though. It has to be an absolute nightmare to work on POE.

The answer to 99% of 'why did they do _________" questions is just 'someone sat down to do a first draft prototype, decided in 30 seconds to do it that way, then the team got too busy to redo it, and it didn't crash the automated tests, so it shipped.'

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
If ggg had decent moderation nobody would even know the name tarke cat

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

there was some talk on 5555 about how penance was slow and holy conquest felt weird which i found weird. sure bossing still sucks but is the general consensus that its mapping is also slow as well? here's a real lovely video on a sort of juiced t16 where i was sort of just going normal speed clearing; the clear speed per pack seems near instant which i don't see can really get much faster for a cast build?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmaL8ffg47Y

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

Its not a super fast build by any means, but the clear looks fine. My experience starting penance in SSF was that it felt really bad, so its probably fine once you reach a critical mass of damage to effectively make use of holy conquest and bad before that.

marie_eh fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 3, 2020

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

With this in mind, our current plan is to announce 3.12 on September 1 with its launch happening on September 18 for PC and September 23 for console (PDT). Please note that these dates are still subject to some change and we advise against booking time off until our expansion announcement confirms the launch date. We are aware that many employers require more notice than this but we are very hesitant to encourage booking time off until things are more firmly in place.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I know there's a fine line between accepting the reality that a lot of people have unhealthy gaming habits (not excluding myself) and actively encouraging people to have them, but talking about people scheduling time off to play the start of a league in the announcement feels weird to me. I get why they don't want people doing so and then being mad if they change the date or something, but still.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

...why would taking time off to play a game be unhealthy? People do that (or did, anyway) for opening day baseball or whatever.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Its not inherently unhealthy, its just super nerdy. I wouldn't personally do it but I understand the appeal for sure. For GGG's part they often mention this in their preliminary league announcement posts and I imagine its because if they don't they get a bunch of people asking.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

In fairness I guess there's nothing better to do with days off for most people right now, and some people probably get more PTO than I do, but taking a day off for a new league every three months feels excessive to me personally. :shrug: League races probably promote unhealthy behavior more than this does though I guess (though racing could obviously be a reason why people might take time off).

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 3, 2020

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Don't people make serious bank by getting the good items quicker than anyone else?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
People take scuba diving vacations, so why not a video game vacation?

If I was experienced enough to make serious currency the first few days and then coast on that for the rest of the league I might do it. But I'm not, although I might just take the day off for a break and to play the game I enjoy.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Ak Gara posted:

Don't people make serious bank by getting the good items quicker than anyone else?

One streamer make something like 10 mirrors in the first week.

Sorry, it was 7 mirrors in a week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAge2cvbYAo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Man I'm still rolling with my summoner build but every build I make runs into the same problem of just effortlessly blitzing through all the trash mobs without hardly ever taking a hit or getting chip damage at worse only to get insta-gibbed by boss attacks that I can't really see between all of my minions and the insane amount of particle effects going off. Wouldn't bother me that much except the penalty for dying in the endgame is just so brutal, like multiple hours of exp gain just down the shitter without ever even being able to tell what happened. Just sleepwalking through T14/15 mobs though, which is nice.

Problems are definitely exacerbated on console where gearing is so much harder it's laughable plus tons of latency issues / no good way to rapidly chug all your flasks.

On the bright side I found out that you can reduce crashing on PS4 by turning off any microtransaction effects you have equipped. Luckily I only have free stuff so I don't care about that at all but I'd be pretty upset to find that out if I'd paid money for any of them. Seems like something the devs might want to address in their game that makes 100% of its money off MTX but I guess console population isn't high enough to bother.