Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Wasn't Delirium 90% guardian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Only at the extreme high end of budget was it Guardian and Scion, so at the end of the league yea poeninja would have looked incredibly imbalanced but that's only because an insane number of people hit 100 that league. One week into the league the balance numbers were entirely different.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Papercut posted:

It's less balanced than Ultimatum and I'm pretty sure Ultimatum was less balanced than Ritual

Didn’t mention either of those leagues lol

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Tabletops posted:

Didn’t mention either of those leagues lol

You said the leagues you've played recently so I compared it to the 2 previous leagues? Build diversity had been trending in relatively good directions since the necro nerfs pretty much, but this patch looks like a step back.

Phagocyteur
Nov 12, 2011
Fun Shoe
I need some build critique/guidance.

I was initially planning to do a manabond + indigon + mjölner trickster, using supreme decadence along with a buffed manaflask to get some great ES/mana regen, untill i learned that the interaction does not work. I also learned that manabond feels pretty lovely, with a pretty small aoe when at low mana. But instead of letting the trickster dream die, especially since i have already made the trickster and can't be bothered to make a hierophant, i made a new and shittier version:

https://pastebin.com/NGT8YipR

The build is using pretty good gear in the PoB, but not impossible gear, as only one rare is using influence, and gear with only life/mana + good resists tend to fall in price quite quickly.

The idea is still to use indigon + mjölner with a buffed manaflask, but i'm now using arc instead of manabond.

Snipers mark and the two 1 charge/3 sec nodes will make sure that the mana and life flask are always available, and the manaflask will both remove a curse and an ailment when pressed, which should allow me to get pseudo immunity, as the manflask gets another use each 3-4 second.

Arcane cloak will give a large amount of added flat damage, while starting the indigon mana ramp, so the idea is to dps while cloak is up and use the downtime to reposition and regenerate mana. Currently, the CwC arc will use 4k mana each second at 10k mana sped, while the build only recovers 3.2k mana, not counting the trickster "mana on skill usage" node. The CwC gem can be delevelled to reduce the arc trigger rate, untill an acceptable mana usage is reached. I'm also considering getting a manaleech node for 600 more mana each second, instead of the crusader node.

While the damage is fine, i mostly worry about the survivability of the build. The effective hp seems respectable, but there is no dodge/block layer, no max resistances and there is only a little bit of physical reduction.

Any comments and ideas for the build are very appreciated.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phagocyteur posted:

I need some build critique/guidance.

I was initially planning to do a manabond + indigon + mjölner trickster, using supreme decadence along with a buffed manaflask to get some great ES/mana regen, untill i learned that the interaction does not work.

what part of the interaction doesn't work? im curious

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Papercut posted:

It's less balanced than Ultimatum and I'm pretty sure Ultimatum was less balanced than Ritual

It's day, what, 5? Compared to end of league? And it's immediately after a bunch of big changes happened and a few options seemedbest on the face of things to counter the changes but, to be charitable, the metagame has barely been explored?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

pork never goes bad posted:

It's day, what, 5? Compared to end of league? And it's immediately after a bunch of big changes happened and a few options seemedbest on the face of things to counter the changes but, to be charitable, the metagame has barely been explored?

Something that kinda bugged me about this league is the idea that nerfing a bunch of poo poo would make new builds emerge, because now people will be forced to test things, but that’s not really what happens? People mess around with less optimal stuff all the time, and people who just picked up ziz builds were never going to do that, so what build is gonna emerge here that didn’t exist before? How are those builds going to be more workable with less access to ailment immunity and such?

Genuine question, because it feels like a lot of people are just repeating “build diversity will go up!!!” and not actually grounding it in what has actually increased build diversity in the past. (This is putting aside how we should think about what build diversity data tells us, i.e. does a wider array of builds being played actually equate to more people having fun)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

LeninVS posted:

This is my first time doing SSF, I'm having a brutal time with links. I'm doing T2 maps and still stuck on my 4L.

I ran blood aquaducts for 4 hours. I've run about 20 channel maps. Only 4 tabula cards.
Then I ran about 40 fragments hoping to get cards or a random corruption 6l. No dice to both.

I am up to like 10 ex at this point. Mostly from stacked decks.
I'm really tempted just to move to trade league at this point

Can you access the ssf stash with different characters you own? Is it possible to farm the gambling vendor with a lvl1 ssf character? (Gamble simple robes with lvl1 char, took me 15mins)

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

The end result here is that build diversity will look stifled, but that's just because the amount of time we've had to bring new build ideas to the table is very small. This is especially true this league where requirements are completely different and building have to solve 'new' problems they've previous never had to think about.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Something that kinda bugged me about this league is the idea that nerfing a bunch of poo poo would make new builds emerge, because now people will be forced to test things, but that’s not really what happens? People mess around with less optimal stuff all the time, and people who just picked up ziz builds were never going to do that, so what build is gonna emerge here that didn’t exist before? How are those builds going to be more workable with less access to ailment immunity and such?

Genuine question, because it feels like a lot of people are just repeating “build diversity will go up!!!” and not actually grounding it in what has actually increased build diversity in the past. (This is putting aside how we should think about what build diversity data tells us, i.e. does a wider array of builds being played actually equate to more people having fun)

All of Canine Blues Arooo's post is relevant, but it's been five days. And probably 20% (more like 2%) of the population is responsible for 80% of the builds. People's first thought isn't to innovate, it's to explore what will still work, because at the end of the day, this is a game and supposed to be fun, not a brain wracking systems engineering challenge.

I don't know if more builds is more fun, but it definitely means more exposure, as different players want to engage with the content in different ways and more ways to do that means more customer exposure. I'd be surprised if GGG didn't think about build diversity and meta staleness / freshness from an acquisition and retention perspective.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

pork never goes bad posted:

That's not compared to end of league, that's literally Ultimatum Day 5

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

DisgracelandUSA posted:

All of Canine Blues Arooo's post is relevant, but it's been five days. And probably 20% (more like 2%) of the population is responsible for 80% of the builds. People's first thought isn't to innovate, it's to explore what will still work, because at the end of the day, this is a game and supposed to be fun, not a brain wracking systems engineering challenge.

I don't know if more builds is more fun, but it definitely means more exposure, as different players want to engage with the content in different ways and more ways to do that means more customer exposure. I'd be surprised if GGG didn't think about build diversity and meta staleness / freshness from an acquisition and retention perspective.

Maybe, and think about it, it is not that there are magical undiscovered builds ready to be brought into the spotlight, but that most skills just simply suck numerically and/or mechanically.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Cinara posted:

All that does is make up for the lowered mana cost multi on everything, it's not really a buff. Does mean it's a bit easier to actually sustain mana, but it's not going to suddenly be amazing again.

I had archmage ball Lightning build which made damage based on used mana. So I had 10k+ mana with 0 reservation and I used alll the mana all the time. So I won't mind turning all the mana to damage, as long as the damage output is "enough".

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

DisgracelandUSA posted:

People's first thought isn't to innovate, it's to explore what will still work, because at the end of the day, this is a game and supposed to be fun, not a brain wracking systems engineering challenge.

Plus, with youtube wanting regular content posted on a schedule, its much easier to slap together something you know will work with some tweaks, rather than spending hours or days theorycrafting something, playing it to maps and then finding out that its a bust.

Phagocyteur
Nov 12, 2011
Fun Shoe

Larry Parrish posted:

what part of the interaction doesn't work? im curious

Indigon makes your manaflask regenrate life and i had hoped to also make it regenerate ES, but supreme decadence does not make the manaflask recover ES.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

qnqnx posted:

Maybe, and think about it, it is not that there are magical undiscovered builds ready to be brought into the spotlight, but that most skills just simply suck numerically and/or mechanically.

This is completely wrong - builds have been discovered from nothing all the time.

Anyway, Rog makes silly items

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

It doesn't translate to build diversity necessarily but every build that needs something like Chain/Fork/Pierce is relatively stronger after the changes and it's actually worth using utility supports now which is great because pure damage supports are dull as poo poo. I'm currently running Spectral Helix - Ice Bite - Inspiration - Increased Critical Strikes - Nightblade in a Shroud of the Lightless and all of those are only a minor dps loss vs EDwA.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Elentor posted:

I'll be honest, you should just at this point straight out not believe those. Doesn't matter whether they're lying or their testing methods are flawed, I'm pretty confident I posted when I watched the Delirium video how *heavy* it looked and then once released I looked at its graph, and it pulls from 9 different shaders plus a special buffer from it.

Recently I finally looked again at the files to gaze at PoE 2's health/mana orb shaders and all I can think is "why?"

I talk about shaders a lot but one of the biggest problems PoE has, draw calls, is mostly completely unaddressed. I'm not sure how often they talk about it, but it's uh, not often enough. One of the bigger sources of lower draw calls and higher FPS is just disabling corpse graphics (you can still target them and raise them). The FPS increase from that is incredible.

I wonder what you would be able to do for this game if you were allowed to take the engine apart yourself and optimize it, because it always seems like they don't care or know how to optimize their game for performance so that a 10 year old game doesn't chug on modern super computers.

quote:

Fixed a bug where Skeletal Mages were dealing far less damage with Cold and Fire Projectiles, compared to Lightning Projectiles. They now all have the same average damage (equal to the average of all of the previous base damage).
Fixed a bug where Skeletal Mages' Cold and Lightning Projectiles could not deal a Critical Hit.

This seems like a old bug they got around to fixing, anyone playing skeleton mages able to gauge how big of a difference this will be?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The latest patch reduced my 6L mana cost from 49 to 31 mana..

Also I got an exalt from a t2 map, sold it for 74c and bought Triad Grip & The Scourge and some resistance+life rares. Patch is pretty good now, flasks give you 4s immunity etc!

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Elentor posted:

One of the bigger sources of lower draw calls and higher FPS is just disabling corpse graphics (you can still target them and raise them). The FPS increase from that is incredible.

How do you do this?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

eagerly awaiting some new and exciting builds to trickle down from the great build creators

J
Jun 10, 2001

Cinara posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3152771

Rofl talk about undertuned, how can you even miss the mark by that far.

That's a really spectacular whiff. I'm trying to think of a time where they buffed a gem by that much that quickly after releasing it, I don't remember that ever being done before.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Having tried Absolution on release, that still might not be enough to make it worth using.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

J posted:

That's a really spectacular whiff. I'm trying to think of a time where they buffed a gem by that much that quickly after releasing it, I don't remember that ever being done before.

That has to be a straight up mistake in the released version rather than a “balance change “, yeah?

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
Do SSF characters share a stash within the same league?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Yes

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
If you listen closely you can hear Stormbind crying softly to itself. Are you there, Chris? It's me, Stormbind. All the other spells have their meme builds, but why not me??!

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
It's gotta be hard to program gem info for skills that aren't on the wiki yet.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

This is completely wrong - builds have been discovered from nothing all the time.

Anyway, Rog makes silly items

Got-drat.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I wonder what you would be able to do for this game if you were allowed to take the engine apart yourself and optimize it, because it always seems like they don't care or know how to optimize their game for performance so that a 10 year old game doesn't chug on modern super computers.

I mean, I know I could uhh add lower impact options but so can they and they have been moving *away* from that so that the game always looks pretty on a still.

Otherwise I'd have to look at their engine for a solid month probably to find out what the hell is going on. My suspicion is that there's a lot of stuff that >should< be collapsed into single draw calls that are not to reduce loading times, but idk, God what a nightmare of a job that would be.

I'm unemployed so I'd still take it but drat.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
PoE 2 will come and will magically fix all the stuff that was human error, somehow

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Elentor posted:

I mean, I know I could uhh add lower impact options but so can they and they have been moving *away* from that so that the game always looks pretty on a still.

Otherwise I'd have to look at their engine for a solid month probably to find out what the hell is going on. My suspicion is that there's a lot of stuff that >should< be collapsed into single draw calls that are not to reduce loading times, but idk, God what a nightmare of a job that would be.

I'm unemployed so I'd still take it but drat.

With how long it took to implement particle culling, them not batching the draw calls for all the poo poo on the ground seems about right

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I had an unsuffixed Enduring Eternal Mana Flask drop because of course I did this patch. Before, putting Warding on it would be a no-brainer but now I'm not sure what the best move is.

I expect to be ailment-immune at some point (for sure Shock from a Cyclopean Coil, probably Freeze if I add Arctic Armor in somewhere like I'm planning though it'll cost me some Manastorm power, maybe Ignite also from CC if I can get my strength high enough), and I'll be CI so poison won't be an issue. Staunching might be my best bet.

Mind you I don't really need a mana flask at all on what I'm building.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I think even instant flasks now grant 4 seconds of immunity so that flask may not be relevant at all.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Pure wishful thinking. Everything gets tested, and culling the meta builds does not magically make more builds

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

If build variety is something that truly matters to GGG, then the obvious answer is to bring back 3.13 Harvest crafts. But, that’s in opposition to their stances on crafting determinism and power acquisition.

I mean, given the relative importance of itemization to damage/defense scaling, it seems obvious to me that unlocking more of the mod-pool to more people would directly enable more and varied builds

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Thinking poe.ninja reflects all viable builds rather than flavors of the month is some serious brainworms poo poo

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

qnqnx posted:

Pure wishful thinking.

No he's literally right. poo poo that hasnt been touched in any way for a long rear end time magically becomes meta relatively frequently.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's not many viable builds in the sense that me, a slightly more than casual but definetly not veteran player isn't going to get almost any given build to maps on its own merit without leveling gear unless it's dead simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
While I continue my optimization rants, I also want to bring up this:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z85bncz5p7ytxuw/AABZLxOhM5bzgR4EFW5QovXia?dl=0

7kb worth of files, dragged my 36 GB GGPK file onto the exe, got a 25 GB GGPK back, works fine (as fine as usual, at least).

Why the hell does GGG not do this after each patch, I have no idea. I guess taking up an extra 11 GB for no reason is cool.

GGG: "Wow that code is clean and good... guess we'll just let people dig through ancient threads to utilize it instead of doing it ourselves lol"