Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

EVIL Gibson posted:

Talking to a bar of soap might actually be more enlightening than this

Bar of soap doesn't do jack poo poo for mana reservation though

No Safe Word posted:

Yeah I can't think of an ascendancy with fewer defensive aspects to it, save maybe Raider or Deadeye as I have barely played those. Or a specifically bad Ascendant build I suppose.

Berserker and it's literally negative defense node?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I'm having trouble with my build.

https://www.poe-vault.com/guides/wave-of-conviction-ignite-elementalist-build-guide

quote:

Main Link: Wave of Conviction – Ignite Proliferation Support –Deadly Ailments Support –Cruelty Support –Burning Damage Support – Unbound Ailments Support

This is supposed to be my six-link gun and it's a POS. Is it because I didn't get a vaal gem yet? The guide says POE Crucible 3.21 which I believe is up to date, written in May and not nerfed but this thing is nigh useless even compared to a simple flame wall. What am I doing wrong are my expectations wrong? The other things I'm using flame wise are scaling well with the passives, especially the flameblast, but the wave of conviction is a mana suck for no real damage.

I guess it works better on groups but it's just not impressive the way chain lightning was and on pairs, threes, smaller groups it's feeble.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

EVIL Gibson posted:

Talking to a bar of soap might actually be more enlightening than this

my mans confused as gently caress why apple isnt paying factory workers 100k a year when the devices have a 25% margin and cost 1k lol

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

totalnewbie posted:

Hate to break it to you bud but companies aren't about to pay people better just because their profits are better.

If only we can go back to the good ol' days of getting kids into highly dangerous work conditions... Upsell: There is a very good chance they don't need college later on due to the condition of death :sickos:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I'm very leery of Anthony coming out of poe-vault, although there are certainly writers guide Sierra out there.

There is a Maxroll guide for leveling an Elementalist with Wave of Conviction, have you looked at that?

GenSpecific
Aug 17, 2005
IT'S IDEAS LIKE THIS THAT GET PEOPLE KILLED!!!!

Slippery Tilde

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

https://www.poe-vault.com/guides/wave-of-conviction-ignite-elementalist-build-guide

This is supposed to be my six-link gun and it's a POS. Is it because I didn't get a vaal gem yet? The guide says POE Crucible 3.21 which I believe is up to date, written in May and not nerfed but this thing is nigh useless even compared to a simple flame wall. What am I doing wrong are my expectations wrong? The other things I'm using flame wise are scaling well with the passives, especially the flameblast, but the wave of conviction is a mana suck for no real damage.

I guess it works better on groups but it's just not impressive the way chain lightning was and on pairs, threes, smaller groups it's feeble.

Link your path of building. I league started WoC ignite a few leagues ago and cleared pretty much all content. It almost never struggled with not having enough damage, especially if you have a tabula already.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Stux posted:

my mans confused as gently caress why apple isnt paying factory workers 100k a year when the devices have a 25% margin and cost 1k lol

Hello, dumb rear end metaphor. :thumbsup:

I am going indie-assembly guys. I just need a small loan of $700 million to make another FoxConn

Or a few billion if Wisconsin is negotiating :mrgw:

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

what content are you having a hard time with? level 11 skill gem might explain a lot of this

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

EVIL Gibson posted:

If only we can go back to the good ol' days of getting kids into highly dangerous work conditions... Upsell: There is a very good chance they don't need college later on due to the condition of death :sickos:

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

EVIL Gibson posted:

Hello, dumb rear end metaphor. :thumbsup:

don't sign your posts and especially don't do it as the first line

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

guy still thinks that henry ford gave his workers the weekend to drive up demand for cars

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

do you have Shaper of Flames yet?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think you want to increase the length of ignite with unbound ailments. I could be wrong

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Deadly ailments and cruelty do not synergize

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

whypick1 posted:

I'm very leery of Anthony coming out of poe-vault, although there are certainly writers guide Sierra out there.

There is a Maxroll guide for leveling an Elementalist with Wave of Conviction, have you looked at that?

No but I will.

GenSpecific posted:

Link your path of building. I league started WoC ignite a few leagues ago and cleared pretty much all content. It almost never struggled with not having enough damage, especially if you have a tabula already.

https://pobb.in/0QzEDNR6Q_DW

JamesKPolk posted:

what content are you having a hard time with? level 11 skill gem might explain a lot of this

I'm probably comparing in my mind between a lvl 69 chain lightning witch that just cleared rooms with a click and a lvl 51 one where WoC doesn't hurt mobs all that much but the other gems I have are still holding it down with various flame stuff.

e: to fix PoB

vvv ty

BaldDwarfOnPCP fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 2, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Becuase you have gimped the hit portion with deadly ailments and you probably are not getting big ignites

GenSpecific
Aug 17, 2005

Slippery Tilde

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

No but I will.

https://pobb.in/_KsRzunaaiNC

I'm probably comparing in my mind between a lvl 69 chain lightning witch that just cleared rooms with a click and a lvl 51 one where WoC doesn't hurt mobs all that much but the other gems I have are still holding it down with various flame stuff.

Your PoB is a blank Scion. Do you have Shaper of flames from the elementalist ascendancy allocated?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

e: to fix PoB

It's still devoid of passives

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Well Sirius sure sucks rear end. Completely unavoidable instant death attacks where he literally snipes you from off screen. lmao
Got him down to about half and then he did some laser pinwheel thing where he split into a dozen copies of himself and would randomly shoot insta-death lasers so yeah, that was the end of that.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

GenSpecific posted:

Your PoB is a blank Scion. Do you have Shaper of flames from the elementalist ascendancy allocated?

http://poeurl.com/dR4Q

Sorry, I'm new at this and didn't hit save on PoB before linking (or check the link before posting) I think so.

BaldDwarfOnPCP fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 2, 2023

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
It might be easier to have your profile public and give an account+character name

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Sorry, I'm new at this and didn't hit save on PoB before linking (or check the link before posting) I think so.

No ascendancy?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Frank Frank posted:

Well Sirius sure sucks rear end. Completely unavoidable instant death attacks where he literally snipes you from off screen.

Rule #1 of fighting Sirus: NEVER let him go off screen

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 2, 2023

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

whypick1 posted:

Rule #1 of fighting Sirius: NEVER let him go off screen

And if you break this rule, don't just walk directly at him or you're asking to eat a die beam

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Magus42 posted:

No ascendancy?

No I need to go back and do that, thanks.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

okay, unclear on how much of this is POB difficulties and how much is you not knowing how things work so to be on the safe I will explain several steps that you may or may not already know:

you are playing an elementalist ignite build. ignite means that a spell hits and then sets the enemy on fire. a big hit means a big ignite. a small hit means a small ignite. that's why you don't want to use deadly ailments for ignite builds, which reduces your hit by a very large amount.

e: additionally, wave of conviction is a spell which gains a LOT of damage through levels. that's why people are asking about your level 11 gem level. if your gem level is far below the content you are doing, that means your hits are much lower than they should be for the level, and that's why it feels piddly.

spells do not just ignite on their own, they need +chance to ignite. an elementalist is an ascendency of the witch. you can think of an ascendency as a sub-class. specifically, the elementalist gets "shaper of flames," which means that all hits from the elementalist ignite, regardless of +chance to ignite.

would you like guidance on ascendencies and how to ascend, or do you have that covered?

GenSpecific
Aug 17, 2005

Slippery Tilde

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Ok sweet. You don't have your ascendency yet, which means your WoC probably is not igniting much. If you have been running the green gated doors during acts you will have access to trials in act 3. Take out deadly ailments for now, replace it with added fire damage. You will need to run the trial, and then spec into elementalist, and then take shaper of flames. This will make WoC always ignite.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

No I need to go back and do that, thanks.

Definitely do so; it's critical to your build :)

GenSpecific
Aug 17, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Jinnigan posted:

okay, unclear on how much of this is POB difficulties and how much is you not knowing how things work so to be on the safe I will explain several steps that you may or may not already know:

you are playing an elementalist ignite build. ignite means that a spell hits and then sets the enemy on fire. a big hit means a big ignite. a small hit means a small ignite. that's why you don't want to use deadly ailments for ignite builds, which reduces your hit by a very large amount.

e: additionally, wave of conviction is a spell which gains a LOT of damage through levels. that's why people are asking about your level 11 gem level. if your gem level is far below the content you are doing, that means your hits are much lower than they should be for the level, and that's why it feels piddly.

spells do not just ignite on their own, they need +chance to ignite. an elementalist is an ascendency of the witch. you can think of an ascendency as a sub-class. specifically, the elementalist gets "shaper of flames," which means that all hits from the elementalist ignite, regardless of +chance to ignite.

would you like guidance on ascendencies and how to ascend, or do you have that covered?

The actual hit damage after less/more doesn't matter for dots. It takes the base damage, and then does all the dot stuff from that. DA is fine for ignite, but currently there really isn't any ignites being dealt.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

GenSpecific posted:

The actual hit damage after less/more doesn't matter for dots. It takes the base damage, and then does all the dot stuff from that. DA is fine for ignite, but currently there really isn't any ignites being dealt.

oh right. i forgot that "hits" and "dots" have, ehh, separate calculation streams? not sure how else to describe this state of affairs

but yeah if you aren't igniting, then wave of conviction is just hitting, and deadly ailments is killing your hits.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Man, not worrying at all about dying anymore is super liberating.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

All the more reason to hit level 100 :black101:

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Frank Frank posted:

Well Sirius sure sucks rear end. Completely unavoidable instant death attacks where he literally snipes you from off screen. lmao
Got him down to about half and then he did some laser pinwheel thing where he split into a dozen copies of himself and would randomly shoot insta-death lasers so yeah, that was the end of that.

I think we might could find almost this exact post in this thread if we hopped in the wayback to 2019 lmao

Unless you intend to play as a purist, I'd def recommend watching a guide on basically all the bosses. Sirus in particular has some key mechanics you will get constantly blasted by if you don't know how to handle them

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

GenSpecific posted:

The actual hit damage after less/more doesn't matter for dots.

It does if they have cruelty support slotted

Which they do

Not gainsaying you, just further elaborating

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
LMAO the game just crashed inside uber lab and now my improved offering is gone. Stellar game design!
I didn't die or anything, the app just did a hard quit and asked me to report the crash bug and then kicked me back to town.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I've quit leagues over poo poo like that before lol. That and scams.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I have a couple more but those things are selling for 1-2 div a pop which makes me sad. I shouldn’t be penalized for something entirely out of my control (except that I’m playing on console lol)

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

To explain in detail, the setup you posted is entirely focused on ignite damage. Your hit damage is complete dogshit with that setup while the ignite does like 50x more damage. The setup you posted has 0 chance to ignite in the links at all. This is because Elementalist has a node that gives 100% chance to ignite with all damage you deal, which the entire build is based on.

If you don't have Elementalist and take the node that makes all your damage 100% ignite, you basically never ignite and never do any damage. That is why you think this build isn't working.

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

Traitorous Leopard posted:

I think we might could find almost this exact post in this thread if we hopped in the wayback to 2019 lmao

Unless you intend to play as a purist, I'd def recommend watching a guide on basically all the bosses. Sirus in particular has some key mechanics you will get constantly blasted by if you don't know how to handle them

Sirus on launch was so unhinged lmao. The only thing that made it bearable for me was, irrc, that that was the season before the invincible Cyclone/Offering Necro got nerfed. That poo poo, too, was unhinged.

e: CWC Cyclone & Spirit Offering, I think it was

Jeep fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Frank Frank posted:

LMAO the game just crashed inside uber lab and now my improved offering is gone. Stellar game design!
I didn't die or anything, the app just did a hard quit and asked me to report the crash bug and then kicked me back to town.

this is why i'll never play hardcore

i play the game like it's hardcore already trying my best to never die, but lag/crashes are the reason i'll never play actual hc