Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Tiny Bug Child posted:

What's the actual concern with implementing some kind of AH that automatically transfers the item? I get that it's not going to happen because GGG doesn't want it, but I don't understand how having frictionless trading and prices that actually reflect the market value of items could be a bad thing for the game.

The realistic concern is that items currently in the <5c price bracket will trend towards vendor value because there's a non-zero supply of them that currently aren't being sold because it's not worth the effort for the return. Similarly, cheap uniques with good vaal implicits will dip because it will be easier to buy a hundred of them to mass vaal. People who don't understand economics turn this into "Everything will be worthless except one item that will cost ten thousand mirrors and also your firstborn".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

finally got access to the uber lab and i've decided i don't like the uber lab one bit

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Yeah I thought the other labs being made to not suck so much would make me not mind uber lab but nope, uber lab is still awful

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

here are some temp chains curse aura pylons and a bunch of spinning blade things between you and the golden key have fun

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I'm noticing that the added elemental damage from Doomfletch's Prism isn't showing up on the tooltip. Is that typical or am I missing something?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I mean, don't you make it so that I have to set a price as I put it in my 'sell' stash tab and I can't change it on the fly and if someone comes along and offers the price it gets sold to them automatically at that price. No way to game prices then, whatever you want for it that is what someone will have to pay.

Which is instant buyouts, which they're not going to add.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I'm noticing that the added elemental damage from Doomfletch's Prism isn't showing up on the tooltip. Is that typical or am I missing something?

That's expected.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

It's a really silly engine thing because it was just recycled code from Doomfletch, where the game doesn't try to show you a tooltip because each element could be doing a different amount of damage. It could be fixed by just rewriting how the bow works or how the tooltip is displayed internally I'm sure, but it's very low down on the list of things that matter when tooltip is never really accurate in the first place and everyone uses PoB now.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Eminai posted:

The realistic concern is that items currently in the <5c price bracket will trend towards vendor value because there's a non-zero supply of them that currently aren't being sold because it's not worth the effort for the return. Similarly, cheap uniques with good vaal implicits will dip because it will be easier to buy a hundred of them to mass vaal. People who don't understand economics turn this into "Everything will be worthless except one item that will cost ten thousand mirrors and also your firstborn".

So? If an item would be worthless except for the overhead involved in the trading process, it ought to be worthless. Remember the contingent of players who didn't like it when GGG announced they were going to add a vendor that sold every gem? They were worried it was going to wreck the market for level one zero-quality support gems. And they were right, and it was great.

The other reason I don't like this line of thinking is that it's explicitly building around a lovely part of the game instead of fixing it. It's like if you made a game where all the buttons on the UI moved around at random, and refused to fix it because people would get through the game too fast if they weren't constantly hitting the wrong button.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I'm pretty happy with the trade system as is, but one thing I'd really like to see is sale histories. Some way to know how much things were actually sold for would go a long way to knowing how to price my poo poo and combat fixers.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Enforcing buyouts would do a lot to shore up the market .

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Are there any marauder sunder builds that don't use multi strike? I hate that it locks you in place during the three attacks and you can't cancel it.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Enforcing buyouts would be overly punitive to people that are less knowledgeable about the market. I mean, it would definitely solve that problem, but it would create others. I unintentionally misprice things all the time

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Tiny Bug Child posted:

What's the actual concern with implementing some kind of AH that automatically transfers the item? I get that it's not going to happen because GGG doesn't want it, but I don't understand how having frictionless trading and prices that actually reflect the market value of items could be a bad thing for the game.

To share a contrarian opinion that most people won't agree with - I love the current trading system, hitches and all. I was a huge Diablo 2 player who put 7 years in to that game and this sort of trading was a big part of it. A frictionless AH means I just log on, get the item I wanted, and then go 'now what?' whereas right now it feels like a quest to get the item I want, it's an adventure I have to go on and it's work I'm putting in to my character that then pays off when I get the right piece of gear and I feel like I accomplished something instead of feeling like I clicked a few buttons to raise my stats.

This is exactly where D3 failed me, both with the AH and without. Either way it's an example of see upgrade -> click button -> have upgrade equipped with no interim and no effort on my part, everything is based purely on luck so I never felt like I actually earned any of my boosts in power through anything other than hours played and RNG. Since I have to put effort into trades I don't want to settle for small incremental upgrades and I get a kick out of always checking poetrade looking for the right deal for me. I might be looking for an item with the right stats for a week because everyone who has had what I'm looking for was afk, offline or didn't respond, so finally getting it is a big rush and makes me want to celebrate by playing the game and using my new item.

enraged_camel posted:

Are there any marauder sunder builds that don't use multi strike? I hate that it locks you in place during the three attacks and you can't cancel it.

Just take Multistrike out, there are several supports that are comparable in DPS like Ruthless. You might lose a small amount of damage but in return you're gaining better flexibility and mobility and that's a change I'll take any day.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 22, 2017

dead in real life
Jun 17, 2012

Hooplah posted:

Enforcing buyouts would be overly punitive to people that are less knowledgeable about the market. I mean, it would definitely solve that problem, but it would create others. I unintentionally misprice things all the time

In which case you get messaged by people who want to buy it and then you decide, oops, you priced too low and refuse to sell for the price you gave? I just don't see how that's better. Obviously that's incredibly frustrating to the buyers, and arguably unfair in some ways. Encourages sellers to overprice tons of stuff and not give a drat. There's already more than enough crap for sale. Slightly discouraging people to throw any mediocre thing they find up for any dumb price willy-nilly is probably not gonna destroy the trading economy.

dead in real life fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 22, 2017

denizen
Aug 12, 2003
i am the only denizen
The bow build guide says to use tornado shot but tornado shot seems to suck rear end compared to blast rain. Is there something i'm missing?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Well this isn't good. I get this error and crash when I try to log in.

Happened 4 times in a row.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

denizen posted:

The bow build guide says to use tornado shot but tornado shot seems to suck rear end compared to blast rain. Is there something i'm missing?

TShot scales extremely well with additional projectiles, throw a GMP on it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

denizen posted:

Tornado Shot without extra projectiles is pretty sad, but with LMP/GMP becomes great. Another tip is to aim your shots just behind enemies since the initial shot pierces until it reaches its destination, and then launches the secondary projectiles, so you can easily hit enemies multiple times per shot.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Today's uber lab seems to kinda suck for key farming, but it's not bad for speedrunning for carries or enchants.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Well this isn't good. I get this error and crash when I try to log in.

Happened 4 times in a row.

I got a similar error that went away after I verified files on steam

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
I'm in my lv20's in Act 2. I've got a bunch of orbs in my stash, but not the ones I need.
Is there anything specific you can sell to the vendors to get Orbs of Transmutation? Or can they only be farmed?

J
Jun 10, 2001

Dennis McClaren posted:

I'm in my lv20's in Act 2. I've got a bunch of orbs in my stash, but not the ones I need.
Is there anything specific you can sell to the vendors to get Orbs of Transmutation? Or can they only be farmed?

Any unidentified item (blue or yellow items) you can sell to vendors to get transmutation shards. 20 of those make 1 transmutation orb. If the item is identified you get alteration shards instead, and sometimes alchemy shards depending on the stats it had. Also orbs of transmutation are really common in general you should be finding them as drops regularly.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Transmutes are literally the most common currency after id/portal scrolls and have much less use than either

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
What they said.

If you really are desperate though, un-ID'd rares are 5 shards, magics 2.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I'm also still amazed that people think POE is accessible. I played D2, Titan Quest, Grim Dawn, and D3, and it's still not accessible. Someone stumbling upon it on Steam that didn't grow up on ARPGs is going to hit a real hard brick wall pretty quickly, and they're not going to know what they hosed up unless they go combing through reddit and build guides.
It's not that accessible but that's fine. There's room in this big wide world for a game that requires you to read wikis and build guides and keep up with an economy meta. There's no shortage of other games that have simpler and more accessible mechanics either. I hope GGG resist the pressure to change their very successful game of the first variety into one of the second.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
My newbie friends must all be geniuses I guess

Fyi, you can play poe and progress just fine without doing everything perfectly right from the start. In fact, that allows you to gradually get better, which gives you that sense of progression more involved than clearing torment 10 instead of 9

Orange DeviI fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 22, 2017

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My friend is not very good at ARPGs and found even D3 kind of confusing and he refused to play PoE for years because he looked at the skill tree once and freaked out. I finally got him to play this league and he got up to yellow maps on his first ever character on a build he created himself with minimal input from me. He could have gone further but he decided to reroll and follow a build the second time once he realized that he chose the wrong weapon type for his first dude.

It's pretty accessible if you have someone to point you in the right direction to get you started

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
That someone can be Google and like two minutes of your time though. There's guides for everything. The game now explains maps, support gems, links and sockets, and as long as you can do 1% damage before dying its impossible to hit an actual brick wall while on softcore. It's a game you can get better at in a hundred different ways and that's good

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I'd argue newer players have an advantage in that they actually take their time and pickup and upgrade their gear. I on the other hand force my way through under equipped because I'm a lazy player who doesn't feel like picking up gear just for it to be obsolete in ten levels. I realize it's faster to pay attention to drops, but but but gotta keep going. Go go go go go gogogogogogogo. I wonder why I keep dying.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

here are some temp chains curse aura pylons and a bunch of spinning blade things between you and the golden key have fun

Have you thought about getting good?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Are there any good Blade Flurry builds that aren't based around uniques? I'm planning to play the Xbox version with some friends and I'd prefer to cut down on trading since I'm guessing it'll be a nightmare on console.

of course, attacking builds use rare weapons all the time, but in your case it would depend on finding a good dagger, claw or one-handed sword

and we have seen with the ST/DS scion upthread that you actually are hosed if you dont get a better weapon, unlike a spellcaster you are 100% depending on luck to increase your dps

my advice: first character everyone plays a summoner, trapper or spellcaster (because they only need levels to increase their base dps) and stashes all good weapons to use on second characters

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So I'm back to working on leveling my crit sword+shield Frost Blade ranger, when I remembered I have a Taste of Hate and a Lion's Roar (and Atziri's Promise :v:) on another character. Currently I'm two ascendancy points into Raider, but would I be better off respeccing into Pathfinder?

I'm currently working toward this build Ultima66 gave me in discord (thanks again!)

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I threw on some asenaths gentle touch gloves for the hell of it while levelling and found that firestorm counts as "hits" which is quite nice with a spell totem. I had, for some reason, assumed it meant attacks and was just going to use shield charge to trigger it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Traps work with Dark Pact :thunk:

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Vasudus posted:

Traps work with Dark Pact :thunk:

I believe it would use the trap hp if no skellies around which is like none.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

lamentable dustman posted:

I believe it would use the trap hp if no skellies around which is like one.

Fixed.

If you want to do a non-self cast build, just go ahead and use skeletons. One From Dust jewel and Spell Echo airdrops a six man squad of mr skeltals instantly.

edit: Also, you get to go Necromancer for those sweet aura/offering buffs on yourself.

redneck nazgul fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Aug 22, 2017

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

lamentable dustman posted:

I believe it would use the trap hp if no skellies around which is like none.

Traps work with skellies :thunk:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Traps work with skellies :thunk:

Skeleton traps in a Tinkerskin, Dark Pact mines in a Tremor Rod, milk the Saboteur passives for all they're worth? :lsd:

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

You can make totems throw traps right??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I owe a goon 3 chaos for their added chaos damage gem they are working on. So if the special goon is you, let me know.