Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Cretin90 posted:

Staff is popular with goons but the most common archetype on ninja is sceptre + shield with recover life on block. Make sure you consider that if you’re having trouble with defenses.

Yeah, I'm running scepter and shield, but I'm only on act 6 so I'm mostly commenting about what I've read on the main build thread on the poe forums.

edit: mostly I'm asking co's elementalist so far seems like one of the most versatile ascendancies and it's really interesting to hear people's take on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Bugsy posted:

Havent played it but I thought thread consensus was Shaper of flames first, all the golem nodes, then Bastion last as you wont have enough notables to make it worth it till then.

thats what i did and it was very smooth. vitality plus juiced stone golem is really nice for leveling

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Im still waiting for a good 1H-Axe mtx.

Also i think im fully burnt out of trade league at last, realized the only reason i keep going is to "not waste" the money i had made on the way.
Got my 24, not gonna make 36, so what am i doing?

Guess next time im going ssf to find a new personal hell to suffer in.
Lacerate Gladiator i think.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I've tweaked my Penance Brander so now I'm using a shield and I think it's better than DIre ignite overall? Though it might be more of a thing to transition to because both Penance Brand and Archmage aren't just grab and go things to throw on a build. It also swaps between Swiftbrand for clear and Unbound Ailments for bosses so that might be annoying to some people, but the swap is only needed on big bosses like Guardians anyways.

Haven't made a PoB but the profile is here: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Ultima66/characters

Was previously using DW Scepters without block nodes, and had more life + mana. The shield lowers my DPS from about 12 million ignite to 9 million with Unbound Ailments. In exchange I now have something like 67/52 block and recover 5% of mana on block. My chest and shield still need life added on but I haven't really bothered trying to finish them with Harvest crafting yet. Defense wise right now I'm at 3800 life (aiming for 4000 when build is done), MoM, just under 8000 mana, and have 3200 Aegis + 5100 Arcane Cloak, with the block and heal mana on block. Also when I do take damage to my life I heal about 2400/s. Recently got good chaos res so at this point pretty much only big chunky phys damage that happens to get past my block is dangerous at all, and only when Arcane Cloak is on downtime, and the Endurance Charges on my chest help out a lot with that.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Im still waiting for a good 1H-Axe mtx.

Also i think im fully burnt out of trade league at last, realized the only reason i keep going is to "not waste" the money i had made on the way.
Got my 24, not gonna make 36, so what am i doing?

Guess next time im going ssf to find a new personal hell to suffer in.
Lacerate Gladiator i think.

Yeah, I feel more and more like this each time I play and SSF looks better and better. Seems like a much more chill experience at the very least, and making builds to suit what you find seems like it could be fun. What is even the point of all this currency if I'm not using it to do anything but trade for items, isn't the point of the game to get the items? That said, give me your money so I can buy items.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pigbottom posted:

Uhmm interesting. That would mean giving up on Mastermind of discord and Heart of destruction which sounds like a big loss in damage, but I might consider it since I'm a pretty bad player and can use all the defense I can get. Thanks!

If you check my posts I posted a good dire build recently that came. From the goon discord

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Awesome! posted:

so basically, every slam can be a fist? thats a high value mtx right there

Pretty sure it's only for fist of war support, which already looks awesome cosmetically.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Oh also I did Sirus yesterday for the first time after getting block and good Chaos Res and can safely say that my build can comfortably tank die beams/circle laser. I think it gets sketchy if either Aegis or Arcane Cloak are down but it's definitely not hard to HP flask through it even in the absolute worst case scenario.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

euphronius posted:

If you check my posts I posted a good dire build recently that came. From the goon discord

Gonna do that, thanks!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Zenithe posted:

Pretty sure it's only for fist of war support, which already looks awesome cosmetically.

yeah but that can go on any slam

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

path of exile: I'm existing just for fisting

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I still want haiku slam mix :(

E. I see it, I’m not changing it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I don’t think I’m going to roll another character this league, but thinking about deadeye lancing steel for next league already

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

hawowanlawow posted:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

Alright I've been loving around with lovely homebrew builds for too long, someone give me a decent simple build so I can wrap this league up. ~20ex budget.

blade vortex chieftain, esoro's video guide/pob is great for it. tanky, reasonably zoomy clearspeed, functions well inside that budget. dash into packs, hit blade vortex every now and then, that's basically all there is to it.

take advantage of asenath's gloves being basically free this league, and the easy availability of +gem level fractured bows to trivially craft the essence spell damage/gem level bow for the build.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

hawowanlawow posted:

:mods:

Oh yeah...

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
So now that the rush is over (and a lot of goons are completely done) - what do people actually think about this league? Not the expansion - that seems to have went over pretty well! But the league mechanic itself.

Overall, I think "it's fine". I like that it's simple and straight forward. I like that there's not a ton of nonsense to it. I like that it's just "kill more mobs". I like that we get to choose our rewards. I like that it makes it kind of easier to get some of the basic currency (when it's stuff I regularly use) without feeling like I'm wasting time looting.

I don't like that it feels not worthwhile. I know Grimro did a thing and math'd it out how it's always worthwhile to do them (unless they're adding several minutes to your map). Sometimes they still feel like the mobs come out too slow, or the cases where it's one random hiding around a corner or something dumb. I don't like that you can't just do one and see all the potential rewards right away, to make a decision on if you should continue doing them or not.

As with most league mechanics, I think it'll be better too when it's not in Every. Single. Map. I was so sick of Delirium and all-gray-all-the-time, but now that it's rare? I love it when a portal shows up.

Lastly, it feels like the "deeper" mechanic of ritual vessels is extremely half baked and pointless. You have to pick the fragments as rewards, and I'm not sure that's worth not getting the other rewards, other than doing it for challenges. I think there's potential there, but it's not realized, and I don't plan on them changing it or improving it or anything.

I do hope future leagues are more of the Metamorph / Ritual style, and not the Heist / Harvest style, though.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i would like rituals a lot more if all the mobs just popped out of the ritual totem like steam of monster boxes

its so goddamn annoying have to chase down 2 mobs just standing behind a wall doing nothing

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
ritual isn't very fun, but at least it didn't launch in a laughably unfinished state and make the first two weeks of the league terrible like the last couple

Real talk: between the Sirus/Conqueror tracks and Maven zone progression, the Atlas is now so very...extra. Ritual on top of that was just playable because there isn't really much state being carried over from map to map that you have to track, but if they launch a complicated league mechanic next to the Atlas in its current state I feel like it's going to be way too loving much.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I don't like having to stop and wait, be it for rituals, fuckin doors, or breaches

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

Alright I've been loving around with lovely homebrew builds for too long, someone give me a decent simple build so I can wrap this league up. ~20ex budget.

Tankyboi minions: Hoag guardian, Hoag jugg
Only slightly tankyboi minions: maxblock pure physical skeletons (into anything), stone golems ele
Hybrid poo poo (still tanky): domblow guard
Completely offmeta minions: Instability SRS
SLAMMMMM: champ or jugg 2h eq or es, hit based
SLAMMMMM and BLOCK: bloodquake or lacerate glad
I copy uberdan: cyclone facebreaker champ
Stealth mode OP bossing: Cryzerk general's cry + blade flurry (or earthshatter, lacerate, whatever)
EZ mode mages: anyskill ignite elementalist, vortex occ
Wraeclast EPA: caustic/toxic rain any ranger or trickster
^^^ but middle management: TR ballista totem champ/trickster/any ranger

Every single one of these can be done league start trade, fully functional at sub 5ex investment, scalable with more currency later.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

give me a league that is literally just the run up to syndicate safe houses

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Ritual was fine. Nothing wrong with it, nothing outstanding about it either. It'll be fine as a 10% map gimmick.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Vasudus posted:

Ritual was fine. Nothing wrong with it, nothing outstanding about it either. It'll be fine as a 10% map gimmick.

same, but eliminate the vial mechanic

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
Ritual was basically what I want out of league mechanics, some extra map mobs and targeted rewards. It's a million times better than stupid heist or farm bullshit.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Papercut posted:

Ritual was basically what I want out of league mechanics, some extra map mobs and targeted rewards. It's a million times better than stupid heist or farm bullshit.

This 100%

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Grimoire posted:

same, but eliminate the vial mechanic

Vial mechanic would be OK if the vials added more items offered/more re-rolls. Otherwise I agree with the last few posts.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ritual owns, you dinguses

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Ritual was fine but rather unrewarding for the time required once I was past early mapping. But that's fine, it was fantastic early on and wasn't a buggy pile of poo poo like Heist. I would have liked the vessels to be better so you could juice the rituals up more for more rewards.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If ritual was 1 altar per map I would have done it every time, but with 3 or 4 I started skipping them once I hit a certain point in the atlas. It was just a little too slow and a little underwhelming on the rewards. The blood vial mechanic seemed super half baked and I never used it after trying it once.

The maven content was a 10/10 though and carried the mediocre league content. In total it was better than anything I played since.. betrayal? I skipped legion, but better slightly than harvest, very slightly, and then the other leagues I played had issues.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Salt Fish posted:

If ritual was 1 altar per map I would have done it every time, but with 3 or 4 I started skipping them once I hit a certain point in the atlas. It was just a little too slow and a little underwhelming on the rewards. The blood vial mechanic seemed super half baked and I never used it after trying it once.

The maven content was a 10/10 though and carried the mediocre league content. In total it was better than anything I played since.. betrayal? I skipped legion, but better slightly than harvest, very slightly, and then the other leagues I played had issues.

that's how it should be in core, one fat-rear end altar every so often

Spider Plant
Jan 1, 2007

A more dignified life-form.
I'd like to try and jump on the Divine Ire chat from last page, and put my character up from someone with a bigger brain to look over. I'm trying to make the move into proper endgame stuff - Sirus, Maven, Shaper, etc - and while I've got no complaints about the damage I can put out, I'm frustratingly squishy. I tried doing a Minotaur map earlier, and couldn't touch the guy. I did manage a1 Sirus with one death, despite taking a few beams to the face.

Are there any easy wins on that front that I've missed? I know I have a couple of life rolls that could be better. My chest would need harvesting, and I'm looking out for better gloves. I could also do with more dex on my amulet, but I've not found anything with similar stats and a dex roll that I can afford. My jewels could have +life as well.

If I went the 1h+shield route, what could I change my gems around to? I'd have two slots, which I guess I could try throwing steelskin + duration on.

I guess I'm looking for direction, as without knowing what I should be aiming for, the voldo's currency farm seems a bit pointless. I've got about 7ex so far, which is a lot to me but it's enough to buy anything 'big' yet.

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

Overall I think Ritual was a okay league mechanic, I just wish there was a better handling of the vessels. They should work like the Divine Vessels for the pantheon, where you put it in your map device and you get a guaranteed fill with the boss soul. Currently I had several maps I needed to run multiple times because there simply was no ritual in the boss arena.

If Ritual goes core, they should up the number of reward points, so you can always get the most expensive item in one map, having a good item in there and then no ritual for X number of maps would be very disappointing.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I think going forward that new league mechanics shouldn’t necessarily be in literally every zone/map. I’d rather see it ~50-75% of the time and get occasional breaks from it.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Yeah, wouldn't mind if they dialed it down in the future either. Pretty much all of them get exhausting after a while.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I wish rituals spawned faster by default and didn't spawn monsters out of los/in an untargettable state. they fixed 'stream of monsters' strongboxes to make them less boring to wait for but then made that a whole league mechanic. Other than that it's fine

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Is Path of Building a reliable way to compare effective HP? I realize there is always some uncertainty in an EHP estimation, but am suspicious of the numbers it is giving me.

For example, PoB is telling me that Phase Acrobatics (30% chance to dodge spell hits) is the single greatest node I could take to improve my physical damage reduction. When I check/uncheck that node, not only does the spell-based EHP go up, but the physical one goes up even more.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

bawfuls posted:

Is Path of Building a reliable way to compare effective HP? I realize there is always some uncertainty in an EHP estimation, but am suspicious of the numbers it is giving me.

For example, PoB is telling me that Phase Acrobatics (30% chance to dodge spell hits) is the single greatest node I could take to improve my physical damage reduction. When I check/uncheck that node, not only does the spell-based EHP go up, but the physical one goes up even more.

On the calculations tab at the bottom. Will tell you the biggest hit you can take. Pretty sure pob is just running the numbers, you can't tell how hard your getting hit in game unless you record your death and then go figure out every ability hitting you and look them up on podb.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 23, 2021

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

just based on watching darkee mess around with it, i think you need to enter a realistic incoming hit amount for it to work properly. ive never really used it myself though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

bawfuls posted:

Plenty of spells do physical damage.

That said the answer depends on what incoming damage PoB is calculating against to estimate. If PoB is estimating EHP against physical by doing a mix of 1000 damage physical attacks + 1000 damage physical spells, then yeah it would definitely help. If the number is 2000 per hit vs 1000 it means very different things for how much armor helps. There's a lot of variance in what hits you and how much different defenses help depends on what's actually hitting you. The best PoB can do is give an estimate.