Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

On the calculations tab at the bottom. Will tell you the biggest hit you can take.
Yeah the max hit taken is the more useful point of comparison since "how can I avoid getting one-shot" seems to be the name of the game.

But that value also remains unchanged when I toggle Endurance charges on/off, as another example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Chainsawdomy posted:

Can I get a quick character audit?
https://pastebin.com/808XVCha

I'm not having any problems with maps, but certain bosses are kicking my rear end.
1. This is my first time getting around to fighting the Shaper, and I've bricked both of my attempts. This was surprising since I can do Elder deathless and Sirus A8.
2. First league fighting Aul too, and died 4 or 5 times before deciding not to waste sulphite for now.
3. My one attempt at the Hidden was just hilariously bad. I think I got one of them in six portals.

These are all new bosses for me, so obviously a certain amount is just learning the fights, but I figured there might be some easy boosts to my build I'm missing out of ignorance. Any help is appreciated.
Well, nobody else is doing it so I guess I will.
What kills you when fighting Shaper?

Why do you have a 20q Forbidden Taste? Quality makes it last longer, during which it is damaging you. I don't think the extra dodge and phasing are worth the damage.
You have a life on block shield and 33% block chance, but not glancing blows? It would only cost 2 passive points. It'll give you better defense, mana regen, AND damage.
Why holy flame totem? You might want to consider a decoy totem instead.

You could throw money at your gear to get dex on it without losing anything, that'll save you passive points. Also there's no life on your first ring. Or your chest. Life on your gear is a bit lackluster in general.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 23, 2021

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Chainsawdomy posted:

Can I get a quick character audit?
https://pastebin.com/808XVCha

I'm not having any problems with maps, but certain bosses are kicking my rear end.
1. This is my first time getting around to fighting the Shaper, and I've bricked both of my attempts. This was surprising since I can do Elder deathless and Sirus A8.
2. First league fighting Aul too, and died 4 or 5 times before deciding not to waste sulphite for now.
3. My one attempt at the Hidden was just hilariously bad. I think I got one of them in six portals.

These are all new bosses for me, so obviously a certain amount is just learning the fights, but I figured there might be some easy boosts to my build I'm missing out of ignorance. Any help is appreciated.

Why do you have the unnatural calm wheel? You have 6 points give you 64 ES.
Your arcane surge is level 20. It needs to be level 5.
Why do you have holy flame totem...?

Change the enchant on your chest to +dex/quality. You want 15 dex way more than 15 life. Try to get all your dex from gear so you can drop the dex points on your tree, including versatility.
You can get a shield with life on block + rmr. Try to put herald of ash/purity/skitterbots in there. If you need to, consider using intuitive leap jewel next to mystic bulwark for discord artisan.
Get a timeless jewel for either corrupted soul or immortal ambition. Replacing agnostic is a good choice. I'm using corrupted soul but I think immortal ambition is probably also ok.

Otherwise, there's just a lot of room for improvement on your gear. My PoB for reference:
https://pastebin.com/EKu2PEvT

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Ritual is meh for me but at least it doesn't require me to do anything outside of maps. My favorite two league mechanics are Legion and Metamorph so I hope we get more stuff like them and less Heist/Delve stuff.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Ritual spawn location choice is all over the shop and additionally it sucks when ice beam rituals spawn somewhere that makes avoiding them difficult, which happens annoyingly often.

My only other problem with them is how I'll sometimes get a dozen 'explode on death' mobs right near the end of a ritual, instagibbing me. :negative:

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
My finest craft of the league so far! Process: receive drop from Sirus, vaal 15 times.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Nur_Neerg posted:

My finest craft of the league so far! Process: receive drop from Sirus, vaal 15 times.

This is vile

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

soscannonballs posted:

Ritual is meh for me but at least it doesn't require me to do anything outside of maps. My favorite two league mechanics are Legion and Metamorph so I hope we get more stuff like them and less Heist/Delve stuff.

I normally hate stuff that makes me leave maps (I loathe Heist) but for some reason I really like Delve.

Overall I like Ritual; it's especially fun early on. I managed to get a Tabula in act 2 and a 6-link chest right at the beginning of maps from them.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Black Pants posted:

Ritual spawn location choice is all over the shop and additionally it sucks when ice beam rituals spawn somewhere that makes avoiding them difficult, which happens annoyingly often.

My only other problem with them is how I'll sometimes get a dozen 'explode on death' mobs right near the end of a ritual, instagibbing me. :negative:

My only issues with the ice beams have been when I had low resist. I seem to keep getting the chaos ones that severely slow you and then three rare mobs with volatile flameblood die simultaneously.

Through a combination of goon generosity and selling some gear from my old character I was able to get Wrath on my character and still manage full resists except Chaos, so I am now at a nice 2.5mil DPS which is the highest I've ever reached. Now I just have to do the tedious Atlas juggle to finish conquerors so I can go get poo poo on by Sirus.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Nur_Neerg posted:

Do you have any idea how crazy it is from a probability standpoint to vaal something 15 times and not brick it. It's just over a 1% chance

This is insane.

Also no curse on hit, you need to keep vaaling.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
99% of the ritual rewards are like 3 alchs, couple of alts and essence and chaos.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

von Braun posted:

99% of the ritual rewards are like 3 alchs, couple of alts and essence and chaos.

This matches my experience :v:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I was blown away by the Atlas having a passive tree

cytoc
Apr 3, 2009
Ritual was pretty good for me and I think it'll be something I look forward to when it's only 10% or so of maps.

I liked the fact that it was significant early game, but as the new atlas passives took over and started driving what I was doing, the league mechanic was no longer forcing me away from the content I wanted to be doing. The Atlas passives are so good at allowing me to focus on different content types, that I wouldn't mind the next league being somewhat low touch as well if they plan to re-balance them for next league.

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
Any league mechanic that doesn't teleport you out of the map you're in and basically just adds more stuff to kill is 5/5 in my book. If it lets you progress towards a bossfight or a bigger reward it's even better. Delirium and Legion we're basically my ideal leagues (though the grayscale started to get a bit old towards the end). I do think ritual might have used with a little tweaking so it doesn't feel completely irrelevant after the first few weeks. There's a couple of guys who manage to fish out mirrors out of them but for the vast majority it just feels like a drag to see a lovely prophecy and a couple of chaos in there time after time.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
You should be resetting your ritual reward options for 2k anytime there’s nothing special and you have at least 5k or more points to spend. Getting more chances to see high end loot or at least fast forwarding to get back to good stuff you put on layaway is better than picking up yet another 2-3 alchs, imo

At its heart, PoE is just a fancy slot machine, so you always want free pulls to get closer to hitting jackpots.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Mischalaniouse posted:

I normally hate stuff that makes me leave maps (I loathe Heist) but for some reason I really like Delve.

I'm a fan of delve too. It's completely its own thing so it doesn't interrupt maps at all (neither does Heist in that regard).

However, unlike Heist, Delve is just a straight forward stream of monsters. No doors, no spare monster count, no boring bits. Just go kill monsters.

I don't do it a ton, but I enjoy it as a change of pace, and a safer way to top off a level.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm of the opinion that if you're going to break away from the core gameplay loop (maps) it needs to be 1) fun 2) rewarding in both xp and loot.

For the longest time, Delve fit the bill. But it got old, there were no new nodes ever added and the loot took a nosedive. Fossils were nerfed, fossil farming was nerfed, cities were nerfed, and then map rewards from cities stopped being a thing with the new Atlas. All it has is decent, relatively safe xp.

Heist is the same. Except it was implemented horribly so it left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. GGG amped the xp and loot up to 11 during the league because it was so loving bad.

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.
Whoever suggested parachuting to max dodge ball lightning ascendant as a better league starter than ele hit deadeye THANK YOU, now comfortably running t16’s on a build that initially cost like 5ex to get running, and I’ve now managed to build up my bank to above 10 ex plus decent midrange gear.

That said, I have a few questions.
1. I’ve been trying to learn crafting and am starting to understand some of the basics, helped by guides on crafting specific items that some build guides have. That said, lots of these guides just casually say stuff like “augment crit,” I guess the assumption is buying this kind of thing through TFT? I haven’t played since before harvest so it seems really foreign to me but I guess that’s the way things work now?

2. Are there better websites for build guides than the first couple of things that come up googling? I’ve begun looking around for builds to move on to now that I have a good league starter established but I still need a decent amount of handholding and I don’t want to get burned again building something that turns out to be poo poo.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

tehllama posted:

1. I’ve been trying to learn crafting and am starting to understand some of the basics, helped by guides on crafting specific items that some build guides have. That said, lots of these guides just casually say stuff like “augment crit,” I guess the assumption is buying this kind of thing through TFT?

That or hoping you get it on your own. Keep in mind that crafts aren't cheap; going rate for Aug/Annul/Remove+Add starts at 1ex, with stuff like Life and Speed costing even more.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Vasudus posted:

I'm of the opinion that if you're going to break away from the core gameplay loop (maps) it needs to be 1) fun 2) rewarding in both xp and loot.

For the longest time, Delve fit the bill. But it got old, there were no new nodes ever added and the loot took a nosedive. Fossils were nerfed, fossil farming was nerfed, cities were nerfed, and then map rewards from cities stopped being a thing with the new Atlas. All it has is decent, relatively safe xp.

Heist is the same. Except it was implemented horribly so it left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. GGG amped the xp and loot up to 11 during the league because it was so loving bad.

For a long time, Temple was similar levels of worthless. Now though, with new rooms and (primarily)Glennach, I hoard my Alva missions for when I want to do temples instead of just throwing it into any juiced map for some extra density. I've got hopes Delve will see something similar at some point.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
An easy QoL for Delve would be to continue the automated main shaft up to the equivalent of at least T11 maps, and possibly higher, instead of forcing you to grind through the equivalent of white and yellows on your own.

Also agreed that Delve needs some nodes that integrate newer loot types.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
They should bring back the infinite Delve mode so I can make new characters and get them to maps in a a few hours instead of a dedicated afternoon.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I'll play Delve when I don't have to wait at azurite nodes on wave spawns

I love Heist so it is weird that those bother me as much as they do but after doing infinite delve event it really reinforced how much I dislike grinding delve down to good depth and how much I dislike those damned azurite nodes

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Nur_Neerg posted:

Forgive me for what is probably a stupid question, but how do you vaal something 15 times? I know there's a way to double corrupt something but I didn't know you could do it this many times.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
"Can be modified while corrupted / Can have up to 5 implicit modifiers while item has this modifier" = You can throw Vaal orbs at it until one of them transforms it into a rare item.

If you have 5 implicits and and then hit another one, the game will pick one to replace.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

tehllama posted:

Whoever suggested parachuting to max dodge ball lightning ascendant as a better league starter than ele hit deadeye THANK YOU, now comfortably running t16’s on a build that initially cost like 5ex to get running, and I’ve now managed to build up my bank to above 10 ex plus decent midrange gear.

That said, I have a few questions.
1. I’ve been trying to learn crafting and am starting to understand some of the basics, helped by guides on crafting specific items that some build guides have. That said, lots of these guides just casually say stuff like “augment crit,” I guess the assumption is buying this kind of thing through TFT? I haven’t played since before harvest so it seems really foreign to me but I guess that’s the way things work now?

2. Are there better websites for build guides than the first couple of things that come up googling? I’ve begun looking around for builds to move on to now that I have a good league starter established but I still need a decent amount of handholding and I don’t want to get burned again building something that turns out to be poo poo.

1. Yes, the crafting endgame now revolves around TFT. There's also a POE Trade discord linked on Reddit that's not bad. Good luck.

2. Here's my effort post I made a couple of days ago about build guides: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3828536&pagenumber=2293&perpage=40#post512613765. The TLDR of that would probably be "Anything that has recent feedback from someone into red maps is probably trustable".

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I should mention that all the incredibly fantastic gear that I made for my character I did almost exclusively by myself. I bought 8 crafts off TFT - of which 6 were because I was incredibly impatient and needed to fix my boots. The crafts I didn't have on hand I periodically bought/traded with goons. So don't feel pressured to get into throwing yourself into TFT unless you absolutely feel the need to sell your crafts to total strangers.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Max dodgeball lightning-ascendant.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

McFrugal posted:

Well, nobody else is doing it so I guess I will.
What kills you when fighting Shaper?
Hard to say; there are a lot of effects floating around and it's usually pretty sudden. I'm trying to be mindful of where I let the pools land, but it's possible I'm moving through those.

McFrugal posted:

Why do you have a 20q Forbidden Taste? Quality makes it last longer, during which it is damaging you. I don't think the extra dodge and phasing are worth the damage.
That's good to know, thanks. I think a big problem I have is how opaque so many of the systems are in this game. It's hard for me to crunch any numbers so I just kind of assumed 'it must be worth it'.

McFrugal posted:

You have a life on block shield and 33% block chance, but not glancing blows? It would only cost 2 passive points. It'll give you better defense, mana regen, AND damage.
This is the sort of obvious thing I was hoping for. I've never played a block character before (this is only the third character I've taken to maps), and I wasn't sure the trade off with taking 65% of the damage was worth it unless I could push my block chance higher.

McFrugal posted:

Why holy flame totem? You might want to consider a decoy totem instead.
This is mostly a relic from the campaign and early maps, and rarely even gets used. Since I was stacking fire damage I figured that would be the best call, but I'm open to decoy totem or any other suggestions if those would be more useful.

McFrugal posted:

You could throw money at your gear to get dex on it without losing anything, that'll save you passive points. Also there's no life on your first ring. Or your chest. Life on your gear is a bit lackluster in general.
The ring had a low tier life (+5 or something) that I annulled off, and I've been waiting in vain for a harvest to add a life mod. Should I cut my losses and just craft it over the Leo's, or would you suggest just replacing the ring wholesale?
Seems like overall my chest piece is lagging behind the most? If I was to replace one thing and try to get the 60 or so dex to free up those two passives, would that be the call?

totalnewbie posted:

Why do you have the unnatural calm wheel? You have 6 points give you 64 ES.
Yikes. This definitely comes from blindly following a build guide and never re-evaluating when my gear doesn't match up. That's a big gain, thank you.

totalnewbie posted:

Your arcane surge is level 20. It needs to be level 5.
Ok, just to make sure I understand, this is so the 'mana to gain surge' matches up better with the triggering skill and it actually triggers more often, right?

totalnewbie posted:

Change the enchant on your chest to +dex/quality. You want 15 dex way more than 15 life. Try to get all your dex from gear so you can drop the dex points on your tree, including versatility.
Didn't even think of this, which should have been obvious, thanks.

totalnewbie posted:

Get a timeless jewel for...corrupted soul
Would this in-an-of itself make unnatural calm worth it, or should I still repurpose those 6 passives?

I really appreciate you two taking a look. I've never had as much time to play as this league, so I've never really had to optimize for the real endgame. It's amazing to think how many hours I've sunk into this game and can still really not know what the hell I'm doing half the time

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I think they should put the fossil crafts back on fossils

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

I think they should put the fossil crafts back on fossils

Probably. Or better yet create a new set of chase mods. Fossils are still an excellent *start* of a crafting project but there's just no money in them unless you're doing a large bulk project. There's nothing to chase.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I'd really like new exclusive fossil mods. Even if they're less powerful overall than influence mods, as long as they're unique they'd give fossils a niche similar to corrupted essences.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

is trying to farm a Replica Farrul's Fur myself a fool's errand? I can't seem to find info on the grand heist drop rates

for context this is my first charachter and first league, I'm not through with my atlas yet (farming ~T11 maps presently)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Chainsawdomy posted:

Ok, just to make sure I understand, this is so the 'mana to gain surge' matches up better with the triggering skill and it actually triggers more often, right?

Correct. You want arcane surge up at all times.

quote:

Would this in-an-of itself make unnatural calm worth it, or should I still repurpose those 6 passives?

No. You will need all the points you can get to fill out your clusters and block nodes. Eventually you're going to want to drop heart of flame by not pathing there and use those points elsewhere instead. You can see I picked it back up with a threadless hope but I have just a few more points to play with than you do. Without my extra points, I would be using intuitive leap.

And even just basic 5% life nodes would probably get you more overall ehp than using 6 points on unnatural calm, esp. as you continue to pick up more flat life on your gear. Which, by the way, also scales up your corrupted soul so you get to double dip on health bonuses.

quote:

If I was to replace one thing and try to get the 60 or so dex to free up those two passives, would that be the call?

You actually need 80 dex. I got most of my dex from dex base amulet with crafted dex (having natural dex roll could get you more dex but it makes crafting a lot more difficult) and gloves, for which there aren't a ton of mods we're really looking for that aren't just generic life/resist so if I've got to get my dex from somewhere, I picked gloves.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 23, 2021

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

bawfuls posted:

is trying to farm a Replica Farrul's Fur myself a fool's errand? I can't seem to find info on the grand heist drop rates

for context this is my first charachter and first league, I'm not through with my atlas yet (farming ~T11 maps presently)

Pretty much. The main thing about prices on popular items is that the market is VERY efficient. If they were easy to farm people would be doing it full time until the price of one was equal to the time investment of farming it.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
Need some math help from the smarty math goons in this thread. It's been a while since I've had to deal with fractional exponents, etc. and I want to get my math straight before I make a build video. If you could double-check my numbers to make sure they're not way off, I'd appreciate it!

Dahbadu's Homebrew Penance Brand Tri-Elemental Ailment Inquisitor: https://pastebin.com/A9tt28qe (level 94, current gear)

Basically the idea is you max shock/chill/freeze everything, with decent ignites as a cherry on top. It feels pretty safe to play because everything is perma-frozen that isn't immune to freeze, and if the boss is immune, it's max chilled plus temp chains. You also have life/ES leech, good life/ES regen, fortify, phys infusion and glancing blows. Most importantly, you can be mobile and focus on avoiding enemy attacks while your brands go to work. Even your mechanism to proc fortify is a mobile one (Cyclone).

Here's the equation for Shock https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Shock

Cyclone Crit w/ Bonechill: 21k cold damage w/ 165% increased effect vs. 25 mil ailment threshold (aka Sirius) = about 7% chill effect, so about 7% more cold damage taken

Penance Brand Crit: 1.9 mil lightning damage w/ 100% increased effect vs. 25 mil ailment threshold = about 35% shock, more damage taken

Also, given these numbers, if I were to improve my increased shock effect from 100% to 120% by taking Elemental Focus (in the Shadow area), that should turn my 1.9 mil shock from 35% on Sirius to 39%, right? i.e. Although it may not look it, if you math it out, *I think* getting EF would be the best overall DPS increase to my build for 2 more points?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Salt Fish posted:

Pretty much. The main thing about prices on popular items is that the market is VERY efficient. If they were easy to farm people would be doing it full time until the price of one was equal to the time investment of farming it.

Pretty much this. If something is 50ex expect it to take 50ex worth of effort to farm up, especially this far into a league.

I assume the drop rate is low enough that you could run grand heists all league long and not see one (and for that not to be a statistical anomaly).

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Game knew it was annoying me and gave me another exalt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ordeith
Oct 26, 2002

If I troll again, I will eat Hello Kitty's brains with a spork
It is my first league, but I like Ritual. I was even able to buy an Exalt (deferred a few times) that way, or 10x stacks of Chaos. Or stuff to unveil, since as I was levelling in the game I didn't understand that you learn the crafts you unveil, eventually.

I think it's nice to have more ways to get gear/currency levelling. I mean maybe the pros in this game know how to farm essences quick (I have looted all of mine and never used one) and earn Chaos orbs fast at league start, but I think that rituals offer this sort of thing is pretty cool. I have even bought harbinger maps from rituals.

My only complaint there were the 'summon 20 porcupines at the same time with a resurrected metamorph one poo poo' ritual but experienced players basically went: "How about not doing rituals on porcupine maps?" - wise words.