Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i can still taste him posted:

I had a hard time deciding but I went with the Abyssal Lich Supporter Pack. Good packs, finally. If I didn't already have the breach portal I would have gone for the other pack.

Wait were the packs supposed to come with a portal? I don't see one in my inventory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Ciaphas posted:

Wait were the packs supposed to come with a portal? I don't see one in my inventory.

Only the Imp one of course.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Man, playing Spectremancer kinda feels like cheating it's so easy. Not always FAST, but easy. I got bored of buying T11s so I just grabbed some T16s and steamrolled Hydra without dying a few times. In a Tabula. Without completing Uber Lab.

I still feel completely lost about Shaped and Elder rares though, since I've never done a minion build before I'm slavishly following guides that are now somewhat obsoleted. I haven't even bothered looking into how the actual atlas war works or anything because :effort:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I just tested it and Mirage Archer's clone (from any bow skill) does NOT start with your current health like Blink and Mirrow arrow do, so doesn't work with minion instability.

Additionally it specifically says that it doesn't work with minion skills so you can't even use it with Blink or Mirror arrow directly.

There goes my build idea.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Insurrectionist posted:

Man, playing Spectremancer kinda feels like cheating it's so easy. Not always FAST, but easy. I got bored of buying T11s so I just grabbed some T16s and steamrolled Hydra without dying a few times. In a Tabula. Without completing Uber Lab.

I still feel completely lost about Shaped and Elder rares though, since I've never done a minion build before I'm slavishly following guides that are now somewhat obsoleted. I haven't even bothered looking into how the actual atlas war works or anything because :effort:

From what I've seen not that much shaper/elder stuff benefits spectres. An additional spectre is always the best dps boost, so you're not gonna replace a 6L vis mortis and they don't really benefit from +X to minion gem levels. Golemancers will get crazy though since +3 to minion gem 6L helms are now possible.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

From what I've seen not that much shaper/elder stuff benefits spectres. An additional spectre is always the best dps boost, so you're not gonna replace a 6L vis mortis and they don't really benefit from +X to minion gem levels. Golemancers will get crazy though since +3 to minion gem 6L helms are now possible.

Yeah barring getting a helm with burning/minion damage for the 6L and using Mortis for other socket groups there doesn't seem to be too much to do with the new items - and I'd probably rather just have the stats from the helm and keep Spectres in Vis Mortis. Although the % of block as spell-block on amulets and shields seems potentially really strong. Still, I'm a bit sad I ended up picking a build that doesn't really get much from the new items, at least with current builds.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Insurrectionist posted:

Yeah barring getting a helm with burning/minion damage for the 6L and using Mortis for other socket groups there doesn't seem to be too much to do with the new items - and I'd probably rather just have the stats from the helm and keep Spectres in Vis Mortis. Although the % of block as spell-block on amulets and shields seems potentially really strong. Still, I'm a bit sad I ended up picking a build that doesn't really get much from the new items, at least with current builds.

At least they seem to get a lot outta the abyss jewels and the version I'm running gets like 6 jewel slots not including the belt.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Loving the new atlas, but one complaint is after the shaper gives his first long speech during a time freeze and goes to 1 second long calling you a bitch speeches he still freezes time just as long and he looks disapprovingly at you killing the map's boss, could really use that animation and time freezing cut down.

On another note, when do you make the decision to start using sacrifice fragments in the map device for another 5% quantity a piece, when do you get a map and decide "yes, I want 15% more on this"

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Mr. Despair posted:

it does have a fat rear end

me on the left

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Lateish game do you all try to consolidate your resists on certain pieces of gear like jewels? In fact not just resists but are there certain things that you look for only on certain slots in general? Thx.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah, but it varies depending on the build you're playing and this update increases the type of poo poo you can get on each slot so its kinda up in the air right now. In general, movespeed for boots, damage stats on gloves (attack speed/inc damage), links on body armor (often a unique), jewelry can have big damage stats but also are good for resists and dex/int/str and of course life on as many of these pieces as possible.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Get to 68, start mapping, get frustrated by being melee, roll VD Berserker.

The great cycle of life.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

gonadic io posted:

I just tested it and Mirage Archer's clone (from any bow skill) does NOT start with your current health like Blink and Mirrow arrow do, so doesn't work with minion instability.

Additionally it specifically says that it doesn't work with minion skills so you can't even use it with Blink or Mirror arrow directly.

There goes my build idea.

The one interesting interaction I've noticed with Mirage Archer is that it gains it's own charges, which double up with yours since it inherits your own attack speed, crit etc, giving it a hefty bonus if you spec into frenzy charges and can reliably gain them, either through Raider ascendancy, curses or having Ice Bite in the link.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I'm like years late in all of my builds, but my 2nd build of abyss is going to be a spectral throw raider. My original plan was to go HoWA but those build guides haven't really been updated for 3.1.

Basically I'm wondering if I should go with rare claws scaling on elemental attack damage or HoWA. No plans to be rich, but I'm an efficient enough mapper that I'd eventually have gear worth maybe 10 exalts.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Anybody rolling VP melee nowadays? Looking for experiences since I'm making a Scion meatball spinner. Can you get away with duelist leech with some notables increasing leech rate or does VP make the difference in survivability?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Vasudus posted:

The great cycle of life.

god damnit is berserker still the best caster despite everything

gently caress america

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ciaphas posted:

god damnit is berserker still the best caster despite everything

gently caress america

I'd think inquisitor is giving it a run for its money at least what with all this crazy ele damage getting thrown around.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Keru posted:

The one interesting interaction I've noticed with Mirage Archer is that it gains it's own charges, which double up with yours since it inherits your own attack speed, crit etc, giving it a hefty bonus if you spec into frenzy charges and can reliably gain them, either through Raider ascendancy, curses or having Ice Bite in the link.

Can it gain other buffs, like onslaught?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Vasudus posted:

The great cycle of life.

Don't play VD Berserker it's worse at everything than Inquisitor or Necromancer.

I got my first Guardian kill (Hydra) of the league last night with VD, and then bought the helm enchant on a Starkonja's for 13 odd exalts. Currently at 100k average damage per ball with no echo/cascade, so ~600k damage per cast on a 5 link. Cremation doing ~22k per hit with GMP. Died once on the Hydra because I'm a softcore baddie and walked around for a long time with no flask charges on a temp chains map instead of logging out. I'm at 6300 life right now, but if I got better resist gear and leveled up to 95 or so I should easily be able to use jewels that aren't just covering resists and hit around 7000 life with a Carcass Jack, or I could swap out my 6L Cremation setup and wear Kaom's Heart for ~8500 life since I'd already be doing over 2 million Shaper DPS with VD.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I am apparently complete trash at noticing the tells the elder's slams or dealing with his bullshit degens

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Gc mines op

remote mine + increased area of effect + culling strike + minefield + increased crit + glacial cascade got through them all. Gubben needed all 10 of my mines to go off on him at once though, and needed my normal mapping setup of conc + trap/mine damage instead of aoe and cull.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Ultima66 posted:

Don't play VD Berserker it's worse at everything than Inquisitor or Necromancer.

I got my first Guardian kill (Hydra) of the league last night with VD, and then bought the helm enchant on a Starkonja's for 13 odd exalts. Currently at 100k average damage per ball with no echo/cascade, so ~600k damage per cast on a 5 link. Cremation doing ~22k per hit with GMP. Died once on the Hydra because I'm a softcore baddie and walked around for a long time with no flask charges on a temp chains map instead of logging out. I'm at 6300 life right now, but if I got better resist gear and leveled up to 95 or so I should easily be able to use jewels that aren't just covering resists and hit around 7000 life with a Carcass Jack, or I could swap out my 6L Cremation setup and wear Kaom's Heart for ~8500 life since I'd already be doing over 2 million Shaper DPS with VD.
Is this all self-cast? I've been toying around with a VD build, and was thinking totems with either Chieftain or Inquis with Ancestral Bond, but PoB doesn't seem to accurately represent the damage unless it's showing me the damage per orb? Did you experiment with any totems builds for this and had to scrap it?

Of course the other alternative seems to the the Poet's Pen shenanigans but those things are 40c a pop and I'm still pretty poor.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Zmej posted:

Is this all self-cast? I've been toying around with a VD build, and was thinking totems with either Chieftain or Inquis with Ancestral Bond, but PoB doesn't seem to accurately represent the damage unless it's showing me the damage per orb? Did you experiment with any totems builds for this and had to scrap it?

Of course the other alternative seems to the the Poet's Pen shenanigans but those things are 40c a pop and I'm still pretty poor.

Self cast, didn't bother trying totem setups. PoB shows damage per orb and DPS as if you were only hitting with 1 orb per cast, so multiply that by number of orbs per cast (tooltip in game does the same thing). I made PoB experiments for Necromancer, Elementalist, Berserker, and Inquisitor of various flavors (tried crit and noncrit on Elementalist, tried MoM and non-MoM on all classes) and settled on Inquisitor non-MoM.

E: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Ultima66/characters

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
I haven't played since prior to 3.0 and holy poo poo they streamlined act 3. No more endless sewers. There is a god.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

BitterAvatar posted:

I haven't played since prior to 3.0 and holy poo poo they streamlined act 3. No more endless sewers. There is a god.

There are several gods, actually...before you kill all of them :black101:

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I haven’t played since Ambush league. GGG has been busy these past 4 years :stare:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CommunityEdition posted:

I haven’t played since Ambush league. GGG has been busy these past 4 years :stare:

Yeah the game is way way better.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Voxx posted:

Can it gain other buffs, like onslaught?

I'm not entirely sure how it interacts with stuff that's not gained from a curse or a linked support, but a linked Onslaught Support should work. For instance, if it fully counts as a minion it would also gain buffs from Offerings and party buffs, but I've not really tested it out.

Edit: I should make a necromancer archer and see how that does.

Keru fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 15, 2017

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Anyone know how things are playing out for ST builds? I've really wanted to do one but the VP nerf has me uncertain.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

George posted:

Anyone know how things are playing out for ST builds? I've really wanted to do one but the VP nerf has me uncertain.

ST should still be able to do all the content in the game (besides Hall of Grandmasters) pretty comfortably. The VP nerf just means you have to be more careful against stuff like Shaper/Hydra/Chimera, and maybe invest in block or dodge.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
pure cold ST also got a super cheap entry weapon: Wind Winds are 1c and have cold dps of multi-EX rare weapons

edit: you don't even need to use its gimmick, just get a shield and some cold steel jewels

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Goa Tse-tung posted:

pure cold ST also got a super cheap entry weapon: Wind Winds are 1c and have cold dps of multi-EX rare weapons

edit: you don't even need to use its gimmick, just get a shield and some cold steel jewels

Wind winds?

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

You know, Wine Wanderer.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Goddamn Moon Moon

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
cmon game!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Do the fire/ice boxes have anything good in 'em, I've got points to burn from the lich supporter pack and nothing to buy

(e) nevermind found the drop list

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 15, 2017

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Ultima66 posted:

Self cast, didn't bother trying totem setups. PoB shows damage per orb and DPS as if you were only hitting with 1 orb per cast, so multiply that by number of orbs per cast (tooltip in game does the same thing). I made PoB experiments for Necromancer, Elementalist, Berserker, and Inquisitor of various flavors (tried crit and noncrit on Elementalist, tried MoM and non-MoM on all classes) and settled on Inquisitor non-MoM.

E: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Ultima66/characters

yeah sure, i'll respec my wildstriker

gently caress it

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Ciaphas posted:

Do the fire/ice boxes have anything good in 'em, I've got points to burn from the lich supporter pack and nothing to buy

fire lion

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Awesome! posted:

fire lion

i got a fire froggu so that'll do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Vasudus posted:

yeah sure, i'll respec my wildstriker

gently caress it

I've been doing it so far and it seems ridiculous. Haven't made it to maps yet though, because :life: