Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Is there any TL:DR on how the Elder poo poo works?

I noticed some of my yellow maps getting taken over by Elder and his cronies while I was chaining T16s yesterday and took the time to try one but other than the general poo poo that shows up in every Elder-influenced map (extra mobs and tentacle portals) nothing happened, not in the map and not on the Atlas. So I just shrugged and went back to doing regular T16s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I want to start a HC SSF character, but I don't know what build to play. I've never done this, so I definitely value durability, I want a little forgiveness when I forget what a certain boss tell is for. My last character was softcore, but didn't die first till the act V innocence fight, and was pretty frail at that time, so I fell like I'm getting less bad at this game.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Insurrectionist posted:

I noticed some of my yellow maps getting taken over by Elder and his cronies while I was chaining T16s yesterday and took the time to try one but other than the general poo poo that shows up in every Elder-influenced map (extra mobs and tentacle portals) nothing happened, not in the map and not on the Atlas. So I just shrugged and went back to doing regular T16s.

From playing around with it I think you need to remove all the cronies from the atlas and then you go for the elder influenced map and he will show up then.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

One new thing I noticed is that 'rifts' open up on the ground when you find green spots on the map and go stand on the tentically thing. They spawn a bunch of monsters and usually a boss.

What are these things and what's the story behind them? They certainly didn't exist back when I played before!

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

The Locator posted:

One new thing I noticed is that 'rifts' open up on the ground when you find green spots on the map and go stand on the tentically thing. They spawn a bunch of monsters and usually a boss.

What are these things and what's the story behind them? They certainly didn't exist back when I played before!

You appear to be in the Abyssus League, have fun. :devil:

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
I can't imagine being a new player of this game at this point. Between abysses, breaches, shaper map takeovers, remnants, Labyrinth trials etc etc etc.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

ShutteredIn posted:

I can't imagine being a new player of this game at this point. Between abysses, breaches, shaper map takeovers, remnants, Labyrinth trials etc etc etc.

I only started last league and it wasn't that bad. There's very little you have to know to start playing and you can pick new things up at your own speed.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Question about Abyssal jewels. If it says "Adds X lightning damage to wand attacks", does that only apply to the base wand standard attack (which I never use), or does is apply to attack spell gems that are set in that wand?

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

The Locator posted:

Question about Abyssal jewels. If it says "Adds X lightning damage to wand attacks", does that only apply to the base wand standard attack (which I never use), or does is apply to attack spell gems that are set in that wand?

It applies to the standard attack and any wand skill that has the attack keyword (kinetic blast, barrage, power siphon)

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
no love... for elemental hit

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Svensken posted:

Speaking of, has anyone made a (good) build using the new Spectres treshold jewel that gives them a massive boost at the cost of a limited duration?

I am not aware of a new Spectre threshold jewel. Unending Hunger gives them Soul Eater, are you talking about that? The spectres are still permanent.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

McFrugal posted:

I am not aware of a new Spectre threshold jewel. Unending Hunger gives them Soul Eater, are you talking about that? The spectres are still permanent.

Souls wick gives you +2 spectres, your spectres a shitload of crit, but they only last 20 seconds and don't travel between areas

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

summon raging specters

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ultima66 posted:

This is still low level content but I made a video of a T9 Shaped Gorge run just to show what the staff leap slam gameplay looks like and about how bosses look with my level of VD damage (on a 5L too, so expect ~30% more on a 6L).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQRypA_gHVg

Fuuuck this looks really fun.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Arrhythmia posted:

Souls wick gives you +2 spectres, your spectres a shitload of crit, but they only last 20 seconds and don't travel between areas

Oh it's not a Threshold jewel, it's just a normal unique jewel. That's why I couldn't find it on the wiki (also the wiki is still a little broken).

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Do we know what the red Elder degen is? Was looking at my Pantheon and wondering if Soul of Ralakesh - 25% reduced physical damage over time taken - would be any help.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Insurrectionist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZJMQXhCywk

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Jinnigan posted:

Do we know what the red Elder degen is? Was looking at my Pantheon and wondering if Soul of Ralakesh - 25% reduced physical damage over time taken - would be any help.

Poedb made it seem like it was physical defense, so I think it would help. Haven't had a chance to test it though

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Souls Wick seems like it'd be interesting to combo with some kind of charge granting with Power Charges, although having never played minions before much less crit minions I dunno how useful it'd really be if you can't boost their crit multi.

Also does anyone know if the duration imposed by the jewel is affected by increased/decreased skill duration?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

haha this looks expensive

Silhouette Wires
May 9, 2014

Never Knows Best
I know the Goon guild is full. Is there a guild for us sad Goon losers?
My character is beaverTM

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

If the guilds so full why is there not a global channel so everyone can talk even outside the guild. its not like the stash is that important.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i believe global channels have the same member cap but don't quote me on that

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Ciaphas posted:

i believe global channels have the same member cap but don't quote me on that

Literally everyone in the game is in global 820 for trading, so i doubt theres cap.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Lechtansi posted:

Literally everyone in the game is in global 820 for trading, so i doubt theres cap.

I have not once actually made it in to 820, it always says it's full

I haven't repeatedly tried this league, but still

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

What's the best 5l setup for Molten Strike w/ 2 threshold jewels? Right now I'm using MS - Melee Phys - AC - Maim - Ele Focus. I'm pretty sure the first three are good but I could see arguments for LMP and / or Conc Effect and / or Added Fire and / or WED. Tooltip isn't any help because the meatballs don't register on it.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Lechtansi posted:

Nah that has a cap, you can get overflowed into a random global channel at certain times

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

What's the best 5l setup for Molten Strike w/ 2 threshold jewels? Right now I'm using MS - Melee Phys - AC - Maim - Ele Focus. I'm pretty sure the first three are good but I could see arguments for LMP and / or Conc Effect and / or Added Fire and / or WED. Tooltip isn't any help because the meatballs don't register on it.

PoB will answer this best - to some degree it depends on the other things you're doing with your build.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Suggestions on where to go from here?

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/sab669/characters

Resistances are capped, 3.5K HP and working towards a handful of % HP nodes. I've got a whopping 21C in the bank and not a whole lot more worth of other Orbs to liquidiate. Not sure what I should focus on upgrading.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 17, 2017

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Suggestions on where to go from here?

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/sab669/characters

Resistances are capped, 3.5K HP and working towards a handful of % HP nodes. I've got a whopping 21C in the bank and not a whole lot more worth of other Orbs to liquidiate. Not sure what I should focus on upgrading.

60+ life on every piece of gear

3.5k is nothing

Kurash
May 12, 2008

I lower my config file to potato settings because my ancient machine likes to hang on zone changes but I guess this recent patch really buggered it up? Every time I would save the settings texture_filtering=0 and texture_quality=5 it would revert to texture_filtering=2 and texture_quality=0 (yes, these are potato settings) when I start the game. The other things I've fiddled with seem to stick but even these two things changing I notice a huge impact on performance. Any way to get my config file to behave?

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

ShutteredIn posted:

As a brand new player who only started yesterday, my love of killing everything I see is seeing me through most complex situations.

I seem to have stumbled bass ackwards into a decent leveling build on my Duelist with Molten Strike and the Ancestor gem thingy. The amount of loot left of the floor is killing me though, I miss being able to smash bad gear on the move.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

STiL. posted:

I lower my config file to potato settings because my ancient machine likes to hang on zone changes but I guess this recent patch really buggered it up? Every time I would save the settings texture_filtering=0 and texture_quality=5 it would revert to texture_filtering=2 and texture_quality=0 (yes, these are potato settings) when I start the game. The other things I've fiddled with seem to stick but even these two things changing I notice a huge impact on performance. Any way to get my config file to behave?

Zone changes have been taking forever for me since the patch too.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Cuchulain posted:

As a brand new player who only started yesterday, my love of killing everything I see is seeing me through most complex situations.

I seem to have stumbled bass ackwards into a decent leveling build on my Duelist with Molten Strike and the Ancestor gem thingy. The amount of loot left of the floor is killing me though, I miss being able to smash bad gear on the move.

Get a loot filter

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Was going along with a Essence Drain/Contagion Shadow build but it's turning out to be kind of boring. What are the big builds this league? Also where would I be able to find this out?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

That Gobbo posted:

Was going along with a Essence Drain/Contagion Shadow build but it's turning out to be kind of boring. What are the big builds this league? Also where would I be able to find this out?

EK Nova, Sunder, Spectres, Cyclone, Essence Drain, Volatile Dead, Wanderfinder, Windripper, anything else that was good in Harb is still good probably.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Volatile Dead looks cool as gently caress

I just wonder how it's supposed to kill bosses

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

frajaq posted:

Volatile Dead looks cool as gently caress

I just wonder how it's supposed to kill bosses

Unearth linked with GMP and LMP gives a ton of corpses to play around with.

e; Here's a volatile dead build doing shaper: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta-4h82IVIs

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Cuchulain posted:

Get a loot filter and only pick up (1)yellow items that might be an upgrade to you (2) currency (3) items with rgb linked sockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Eminai posted:

Unearth linked with GMP and LMP gives a ton of corpses to play around with.

e; Here's a volatile dead build doing shaper: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta-4h82IVIs

What the everliving gently caress that shat out so much damage.

Guess I know what I'm trying next, how hardcore is the budget to get going on that?