Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I still don't know how to build a character on PoB even after using it for almost a year. Specifically, I never seem to do any damage unless I'm using some well-known overtuned skill or working from a basic build. The Occultist BV I'm making is the exception but A: I just stumbled into a well-known strong build by accident anyway and B: it's definitely not optimized. Usually I'll make something like a glass-cannon Ranger with Mathil levels of HP and mediocre damage to show for it, or get the idea to do a maxblock Gladiator and sit there with all of 40k Sunder dps in PoB.

E: To be fair my 40k dps Gladiator is level 85 on Hardcore and did double-Beyond+Breach T8 rare maps in the Legacy Race without breaking a sweat but god drat is it slow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West007
Apr 21, 2013

I copied my first character from a forums build that was probably outdated. It was a viper strike shadow. It sucked and I stopped at 26.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Wuxi posted:

After years I finally managed to unlock the Scion and the new leagues next week are kinda calling to me, since D3 isn't giving us anything new for next season.

This SSF thing seems like it would be extremely my poo poo, is this always available? How many builds would be non-viable if I had to rely on drops/crafting?

Doesn't Scion unlock just for getting most of the way through a3?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
With how power creep has been in the last year and a half or so, I've reversed my build strategy. Previously I would get my damage to a level I wanted and fill in health/defenses. Now I do health and defenses first, damage second; there's so many sources of penetration or extra damage now that it's not necessary to focus on it.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

She's unlocked when you let her out of her cage in the centre of the the top room in the Sceptre of God

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Mr. Despair posted:

Yes :downs:

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

TheRat posted:

She's unlocked when you let her out of her cage in the centre of the the top room in the Sceptre of God

AND SHE'S DOING JUST FINE

IT STARTED OUT WITH A KISS, HOW DID IT END UP LIKE THIS

IT WAS ONLY A KISS

IT WAS ONLY A KISS

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Bloodseeker - Berserker, to me, is a perfect starting build for a league.

1. You only need a cheap unique weapon, everything else can be self found.
2. Scales well with money in
links (going from a 5L to Bringer of Rain as your 6L, to a rare 6L chest, to a unique 6L chest)
dps (going from Death's Hand to better stat sticks and jewelry)
and crit (going from no crit to full crit with expensive jewels).
3. Can do everything up to guardians without any heavy investment.
4. Whirling Blades and Leap Slam as movement skill means you can use Kaoms Roots.

There are obvious downsides, like having to use a claw dependent skill, or the dependence on accuracy. Also the comparatively slow clearspeed combined with actualy hectic gameplay is grating to me.

This is the build fyndel goes. The guy who kills atziri and uber atziri by day 1 and then sells runs.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Maybe Glacial Hammer would be fun this league, get to create Thunderdome with the same gem now.

pokchu posted:

AND SHE'S DOING JUST FINE

IT STARTED OUT WITH A KISS, HOW DID IT END UP LIKE THIS

IT WAS ONLY A KISS

IT WAS ONLY A KISS

I love you.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Holyshoot posted:

This is the build fyndel goes. The guy who kills atziri and uber atziri by day 1 and then sells runs.

And buys stuff with real money from you know who

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Hello friends, I am considering playing a support character at some point this league, please give tips as to how to find a good build for a cool and fun support character.

Necro or Guardian or Ascendant, IDGAF as long as I can run 500 auras!!!

e: I play softcore bc i'm a babby

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
How do people farm Atziri/Uber Atziri early in the league anyway without a poe.trade bitch buying fragments all the time? Every time I consider doing it that poo poo gets tedious as gently caress and wastes mucho time even being able to buy full sets, and I can't imagine there are many of those around in the first few days.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Mo_Steel posted:

Maybe Glacial Hammer would be fun this league, get to create Thunderdome with the same gem now.

I must be forgetting something. What do you mean by this?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Vaal glacial hammer (lol)

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Insurrectionist posted:

How do people farm Atziri/Uber Atziri early in the league anyway without a poe.trade bitch buying fragments all the time? Every time I consider doing it that poo poo gets tedious as gently caress and wastes mucho time even being able to buy full sets, and I can't imagine there are many of those around in the first few days.

If you run uberlab you'll drown in fragments. I did like 40 uberlab runs the first week or two of this league and ended up with over 30 full sets of fragments. If you dont want to do that then I guess loot Her Mask and vaal a bunch of maps?

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Insurrectionist posted:

This is mostly a guess, but Uber Lab rewards tons of sacrifice fragments as well as being generally lucrative. So unlocking that and getting your runs consistent early in the league would set you up for a bunch of Atziri as well.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Think hes talking day 1-2 maybe? If so you need a bitch boy and/or use d2jsp

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Lab makes sense, it's too mind-numbing for me so I've never made a Lab-runner myself even though the rewards always seem bananas when I do my customary couple runs a League

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Yeah lab is really really consistent and profitable if you can deal with the tedium

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I really hope they rework the uber lab trials system at some point, it can be absolutely mind-numbing work to get all six trials if you're unlucky in SSF.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Bloodseeker - Berserker, to me, is a perfect starting build for a league.

1. You only need a cheap unique weapon, everything else can be self found.
2. Scales well with money in
links (going from a 5L to Bringer of Rain as your 6L, to a rare 6L chest, to a unique 6L chest)
dps (going from Death's Hand to better stat sticks and jewelry)
and crit (going from no crit to full crit with expensive jewels).
3. Can do everything up to guardians without any heavy investment.
4. Whirling Blades and Leap Slam as movement skill means you can use Kaoms Roots.

There are obvious downsides, like having to use a claw dependent skill, or the dependence on accuracy. Also the comparatively slow clearspeed combined with actualy hectic gameplay is grating to me.

For what it's worth I was finding that Haemophilia is dirt cheap and seriously upped the clearspeed with Bloodseeker.

Is it my imagination or is Blade Flurry way more DPS than anything else I could use with Bloodseeker? It feels better than reave for both mapping and bossing. Could Lacerate maybe be better single-target if I'm hitting with both waves? So few good skills that work with a claw. I think the only other option is that Dual Strike while offhanding Bloodseeker will cause the main hand weapon to instantly leech as well. You could use Soul Taker as your main-hand and have 100% mana reservation.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

bf is pretty much the top tier melee single target skill

that said, it feels like rear end for mapping and saying it feels better than reave makes me :trumppop:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah BF has been S-tier since it was introduced. It's broken good.

I hate it.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Awesome! posted:

bf is pretty much the top tier melee single target skill

that said, it feels like rear end for mapping and saying it feels better than reave makes me :trumppop:

Reave is really loving tedious. It would be good if they made the stacks last 2-3 seconds longer and if vaal reave was just the default. I did reave to lvl90 in the flashback league and having to manage stacks and souls got really loving old really fast. Blade flurry is much better because its straight forward, has much higher dps and your aoe gets carried fairly well by stuff like bleed explosions/inpulsa/shaper scepter explosion/herald of ice

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight

Keru posted:

I really hope they rework the uber lab trials system at some point, it can be absolutely mind-numbing work to get all six trials if you're unlucky in SSF.

Seriously, I tried doing it SSF-style in flashback and I think I unlocked uber lab partway through red maps. I gather that this still makes me extremely lucky, which is loving dumb. On the other hand, uber lab is crazy good money. I finally made a dedicated uber lab sunder slayer in Bestiary just to see if using a purpose-built character for it was better and it was night and day compared to just trying to drag myself through it with whatever character I was using that was technically 'capable' of it. I don't even think it had a whole exalt's worth of gear and it was the smoothest uber lab experience I've had yet; I actually spent a bunch of the offerings I had saved up, which is unusual; I typically just forget about them and let them rot until the league ends.

I followed this guide. I'm sure there are way better builds for it, but I really enjoyed this one.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

TheRat posted:

Reave is really loving tedious. It would be good if they made the stacks last 2-3 seconds longer and if vaal reave was just the default. I did reave to lvl90 in the flashback league and having to manage stacks and souls got really loving old really fast. Blade flurry is much better because its straight forward, has much higher dps and your aoe gets carried fairly well by stuff like bleed explosions/inpulsa/shaper scepter explosion/herald of ice

im playing it on a 90 almost 91 champion right now. its really not that bad. sometimes your stacks drop off and you have baby area for a second but its not that big of a deal. you always have baby area with bf unless you rely on the explosion stuff you mentioned, which i have none of in my build. just ash.

i am never needing more reave damage in normal maps honestly.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
poe.ninja has the majority of 90+ Bloodseeker Berserkers using Reave apparently, it's like 40% reave, 30% blade flurry, 10% molten strike, 10% wild strike? Wild Strike looks really fun actually, and the Cloaked in Savagery 100% leech works with any damage type.

Maybe Reave could be even better when you can main Vaal Reave next league.

I feel like there should be a Vaal version of every attack skill, I get that it takes a lot of work but honestly they could have added more Vaal skills instead of all these drat traps. Where's my Vaal Explosive Arrow?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lots of builds use reave for map clear and then switch to bf for t16 bossing so it might just depend what people are logging out wearing when you look at poeninja

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Maybe Reave could be even better when you can main Vaal Reave next league.

What?

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
He means how you get normal skills from the vaal gems, rodent

He misunderstood what you hate about it I think

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

you can use vaal reave for both now

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I randomly selected a guide for my first char. It was an energy shield build that required Shavronne's among other expensive paraphernalia. I ended up being lvl 78 or something and never had the money for that item, I died every single time a chaos source appeared (rogue exile, pool in the ground, some bosses). Great game.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

are you actually blaming the game for that?

is that from reddit or something?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Could've been one of those many many many many guides on the forums we make fun of that say "Beginner Friendly" in the title but require 10+ ex worth of gear for mapping.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

turboraton posted:

I randomly selected a guide for my first char. It was an energy shield build that required Shavronne's among other expensive paraphernalia. I ended up being lvl 78 or something and never had the money for that item, I died every single time a chaos source appeared (rogue exile, pool in the ground, some bosses). Great game.

lol epic

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

turboraton posted:

Clearly this unique mod could only ever be found on an unreasonably expensive chase unique, GGG fix your game

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight

Insurrectionist posted:

Clearly this unique mod could only ever be found on an unreasonably expensive chase unique, GGG fix your game

For real though, Shavronne's for keeping a low life ES character alive is so much nicer than having to robotically hit those loving flasks every 8'ish seconds. I tried a Victario's Influence aura bot in Bestiary and eventually I just said gently caress it and ground out the currency for a 6 link Shavronne's because I'm just not that attentive. I went from dying 1+ times per map with any source of chaos damage to dying one time that I can remember for the rest of the time I played the character. Like, it was so goddamned tanky against anything else we went up against, but :lol: 120 max HP against patches of corrupted ground.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocketpriest posted:

For real though, Shavronne's for keeping a low life ES character alive is so much nicer than having to robotically hit those loving flasks every 8'ish seconds. I tried a Victario's Influence aura bot in Bestiary and eventually I just said gently caress it and ground out the currency for a 6 link Shavronne's because I'm just not that attentive. I went from dying 1+ times per map with any source of chaos damage to dying one time that I can remember for the rest of the time I played the character. Like, it was so goddamned tanky against anything else we went up against, but :lol: 120 max HP against patches of corrupted ground.

Solaris Lorica.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Fortunately since ES is "dead" the price of a Shavs has dropped considerably lately. I got one around week uh...6? or so for roughly two exalts. I mean, I paid 8 but it was already 6L and the 6ex was the premium at the time. 99% rolls too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
The nice thing about ES nerfs is Solaris Lorica isn't quite as big a downgrade from Shavs as it used to be. Now it's just a huge downgrade.

I ran one in Legacy for a while in white/yellow maps before I could save up for a Shavs (nice vanilla 250% version) and it was honestly fine, sucks losing the armor slot just for that mod but the chaos reduction ones combine to make you really tanky against Chaos together with any kind of resist on gear at least. Helped that I was running as Guardian so I got a bunch of flat ES from ascendancy though.