Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
I had not even heard of the Solaris Lorica, good to know. I think my 6 link Shav's was 6 exalts? Like, more than my 6l Queen of the Forest, but still suuuuper worth it. I was thinking I was gonna hold off on even making an aurabot until I could afford a Shav's, but I might get it started that other thing. It's not like you need super good gear to farm low tier maps supporting an mf ek nova duder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Generally speaking, unless a unique just came out mid-league (hello Loreweave) there's a certain standard premiums for things that *generally* stabilizes around a certain value.

Example:

Shavs unlinked with <6 sockets might be 2ex
QotF unlinked with <6 sockets might be 20c

Shavs in a 6L might be 8ex, QotF in a 6L might be ~6.5ex. The market premium for an item being a 6L is then ~6ex. Which of course means that Fated Connections being 10ex+ is a total scam, but that doesn't stop people from buying and selling it at that price because ~time is money~

Now that premium changes over the course of the league, with very common uniques there's more variation, and that's not considering rolls. But like, you won't have two uniques that cost the same unlinked being radically different in price just because they're 6L unless there's hardly any market volume on the item.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I miss shav's being worth anything

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm largely ok with things being as cheap as they are but I wish there was like an intermediate tier of chase uniques. The most expensive individual thing that I can think of is Xoph's at around 8ex, and the next thing is...HH. There's just nothing else out there anymore that is insanely expensive but still obtainable enough to really chase after it without having to go to gently caress you levels of currency. There's plenty of rares in that range sure, but I'm talking uniques. Even stuff like Atziri gloves aren't that expensive.

edit: I considered Watcher's Eyes, but even those are largely "kinda pricy" then immediately jump to "holy gently caress" levels of currency.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 25, 2018

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
There are still plenty of super expensive things to shoot for that are rare and hard to acquire, I'm 100% fine with the uniques that enable builds to be part of that, it's fun to have some variety so your not just rerolling the same 0 gear required build over and over.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Shavs in a 6L might be 8ex, QotF in a 6L might be ~6.5ex. The market premium for an item being a 6L is then ~6ex. Which of course means that Fated Connections being 10ex+ is a total scam, but that doesn't stop people from buying and selling it at that price because ~time is money~

But like, you won't have two uniques that cost the same unlinked being radically different in price just because they're 6L unless there's hardly any market volume on the item.

I think that the reason fated connections costs so much is partly the irrationality you call out, but also partly because it guarantees a six link on a low volume item at a fixed price and a single transaction. You could often buy enough fusings to use Vorici for less than fated connections, but some players are not literally valuing the time differential between the two trades at the ~50 chaos delta (current Bestiary price - Fated Connections is only 6.3 exalts, roughly 1600 fusing worth), but because the idea of making a bunch of trades vs one is maddening.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

pork never goes bad posted:

I think that the reason fated connections costs so much is partly the irrationality you call out, but also partly because it guarantees a six link on a low volume item at a fixed price and a single transaction. You could often buy enough fusings to use Vorici for less than fated connections, but some players are not literally valuing the time differential between the two trades at the ~50 chaos delta (current Bestiary price - Fated Connections is only 6.3 exalts, roughly 1600 fusing worth), but because the idea of making a bunch of trades vs one is maddening.

Yeah, the only situation I could see myself getting a Fated Connections would have to have BOTH of these:

1) I have an obscene rare chest or weapon that is absolutely incredible
2) I somehow also have the roughly 40% premium (mid league price) and can afford it

As much as I hate trade, and as much as I hate getting mass currency of anything, I'm not willing to pay a crazy premium most of the time. I'll just sit there on a weekend and refresh every 20 minutes buying a few hundo at a time.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

There are still plenty of super expensive things to shoot for that are rare and hard to acquire, I'm 100% fine with the uniques that enable builds to be part of that, it's fun to have some variety so your not just rerolling the same 0 gear required build over and over.

Well yeah, there's lots of things that you can spend a very good amount of currency on. But there's not nearly as much of a difference with a "T1 unique" as there used to be, and while I'm not saying there needs to be an obscene delta between the tiers, it would just be nice to have a few more uniques that are available for an intermediate price that work on a number of builds.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Good rares and elder/shaper items can fill that gap

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Vasudus posted:

There's plenty of rares in that range sure, but I'm talking uniques.

please knock Mom! posted:

Good rares and elder/shaper items can fill that gap

:manning:

I'll rephrase:

It would be cool and good if there were more unique items that required a significant, but not ball-bustingly impossible amount of effort invested (either directly farming, or getting the currency to buy it) that are akin to Xophs or a good, but not amazing Watcher's Eye.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Why uniques though? The unique property means crafting is so limited. I'm absolutely fine with the new elder/shaper/essence crafted mods taking that place, especially because they can have weird and cool unique-like mods while also allowing more crafting

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Mostly because they're a known quantity with known values, something you can realistically build around and acquire.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'd rather the expensive stuff go to the semi-unique good elder/shaper rares and let things that enable builds, like shavs, stay in a reasonable price range.

I remember playing in the early days with only 3 acts and you basically just played really slow and sucky builds while you prayed and hoped for a alpha howl or soul taker or 1000 HP kaom's to drop so you could actually play the rest of the content in the game and didn't have to go kill piety for the hundredth time, I don't wish to return to those ultra super rare chase uniques that stand so far above the rest of the power curve like that.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Thinking this will be the league starter for me. Triple herald blade vortex.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2112439/page/1

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
An updated privacy policy due to GDPR? :v:

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Bugsy posted:

Thinking this will be the league starter for me. Triple herald blade vortex.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2112439/page/1

Can confirm Elementalist triple herald anything will absolutely wreck entire screenfuls. More so when you start to get some real gear options, like an Essence Worm so you can run three heralds and an aura.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i tried the mathil version this league and didnt like it very much. it felt like it had very little sustain with just the bereks and atziri flask. that version is a little different, using a warlords ring instead of bereks so it might feel better

great aesthetics if you have herald mtx though

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Awesome! posted:

it felt like it had very little sustain with just the bereks and atziri flask.

mathil.txt

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
ELEMENTAL HIT IS BACK BABY

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

pokchu posted:

EVERYTHINGS COMING UP POKCHU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2148537

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
As promised, I got my Tobii Eyetracker 4C and set it up with Path of Exile. I used my eyes to control the cursor, and an Xbone controller with Xpadder just so I could use the shoulder buttons to control left, middle, and right-click.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/265218334

Some notes:

1) An exalted orb drops in my my first 6 minutes 15 second of using the Tobii Eyetracker. Clearly a quality piece of hardware.

2) The Tobii first-party software is 99% gimmicky, and will not let you use the device as a mouse. The reason for this is the development team says it can never be millimeter accurate so they're not confident encouraging it's use as a mouse emulator. I found it quite accurate near the middle of my 34" ultrawide, but the closer you get to the edges, the less accurate it becomes. Luckily, everything I'd need to click in PoE is near the center of the screen. You can see in my video I do have trouble clicking the gem "level up" tags because they're on the edge of the screen, but I have no trouble looting items.

3) To use the device as a mouse, I got the supplemental piece of software, Project Iris: http://iris.xcessity.at It is very well made, nice UI and plenty of customization. It costs 40 Euro but has a 14-day trial without requiring any signups. So, shareware, essentially. The Project Iris software lets you actually have the mouse cursor follow your gaze in realtime, as well as program mouse clicks to left/right eye winks. A paralyzed person could definitely play the game with this.

4) This was just my very first unedited try. With some practice and an actually good build (i.e. PPVD) I could probably map about as fast as with a mouse.

5) The Eyetracker + Xbone Controller is strictly better than trying to use just a controller . I've used Xpadder before to emulate a mouse via analog stick, and this is certainly more effortless. I'd be willing to venture it might even be more effective than the Xbox One console implementation.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Does this mean poehud is out the window

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Luna Was Here posted:

Does this mean poehud is out the window

ya... you can see in the video I even chug a potion by actually looking at the potion on the hotbar, lol

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

pokchu posted:

It seriously looks good now and I just want the goddamn patch notes and new skill tree to come out so I can actually start build planning instead of going "Ooooh, shiny" with every bit it new info that drops.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
I'm legitimately considering Elemental Hit Poets Pen triggering Arc

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
How would Elemental Hit interact with something like Doomfletch Prism, does the phys to elemental conversion happen first and then get converted into whatever element the Hit rolls?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Keru posted:

How would Elemental Hit interact with something like Doomfletch Prism, does the phys to elemental conversion happen first and then get converted into whatever element the Hit rolls?

The gem now says "and will only be able to deal damage of that element" so I'd imagine whichever element it chooses will override all other elemental damage, as well as phys/chaos conversions. But, I don't have a doctorate in GGG logic so what do I know?

Edit: yeah it says "adds X elemental damage to attacks" and "deal no other damage" so it sounds like the base damage of your weapon literally doesn't matter except for base elemental damage, i.e. if your weapon deals cold damage and you happen to roll cold on the attack it'll use them both.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 25, 2018

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

The gem now says "and will only be able to deal damage of that element" so I'd imagine whichever element it chooses will override all other elemental damage, as well as phys/chaos conversions. But, I don't have a doctorate in GGG logic so what do I know?

In that case, a Tempest, having 100% increased Lightning Damage, would be a really nice bow for it as long as you had two Combat Focus jewels to nullify the Cold/Fire possibilies on Ele. Hit.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Keru posted:

In that case, a Tempest, having 100% increased Lightning Damage, would be a really nice bow for it as long as you had two Combat Focus jewels to nullify the Cold/Fire possibilies on Ele. Hit.

True, but as long as you can sustain the mana cost of attacking a billion times a second I think Quill Rain will be completely unbeatable as the ele hit bow of choice. Oh the ele hit flat damage counts as Weapon Damage maybe? If so then screw Quill Rain.

I'm looking forward to playing Ele Hit as some sort of claw + Inpulsa's Elementalist with EE and the jewel that removes the fire option so it just alternates cold and lightning. Both relevant heralds for the Elementalist penetration, EE, a Wise Oak, and the bottom right EDWAS/penetration cluster . . . seems strong. Now the question is do I go Bloodseeker for pseudo-immortality, or an actual fast crit claw to do good DPS?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Would love a few thoughts on a league starter; I took the baseline from the EngineeringEternity 3.2 build guide for Max Block Gladiator and then shifted the skill tree and weapon to utilize Glacial Hammer.

Pastebin.

My thinking is to swap out Multistrike for Ancestral Call for general mapping as needed. I suspect Cameria's Maul should be pretty cheap after a couple weeks since it's not a heavily used unique usually, with the option to upgrade into Cameria's Avarice later on.

Any nodes I should swap out of that would work better for Mauls? I dropped Blood in the Eyes for Outmatch and Outlast because the damage would be 100% Phys to Cold so bleeding doesn't get me anywhere.
Stick with Herald of Ash, or swap to Herald of Ice and go pure cold damage?
Cold Pen or Hypothermia? I have Hypothermia selected but it lists Cold Pen as slightly more damage, and I don't think this build will have much inherent elemental pen to boot.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Mentat Radnor posted:

True, but as long as you can sustain the mana cost of attacking a billion times a second I think Quill Rain will be completely unbeatable as the ele hit bow of choice. Oh the ele hit flat damage counts as Weapon Damage maybe? If so then screw Quill Rain.

I'm looking forward to playing Ele Hit as some sort of claw + Inpulsa's Elementalist with EE and the jewel that removes the fire option so it just alternates cold and lightning. Both relevant heralds for the Elementalist penetration, EE, a Wise Oak, and the bottom right EDWAS/penetration cluster . . . seems strong. Now the question is do I go Bloodseeker for pseudo-immortality, or an actual fast crit claw to do good DPS?

I think it counts as Weapon Damage, at least the current Elemental Hit does, since if you edit out the less Weapon Damage on Quill Rain in PoB it changes the damage amount, but even if it isn't, the Tempest would still outdamage it, and it's almost as fast as a Quill Rain at ~2 APS naturally.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Mo_Steel posted:

Would love a few thoughts on a league starter; I took the baseline from the EngineeringEternity 3.2 build guide for Max Block Gladiator and then shifted the skill tree and weapon to utilize Glacial Hammer.

Pastebin.

My thinking is to swap out Multistrike for Ancestral Call for general mapping as needed. I suspect Cameria's Maul should be pretty cheap after a couple weeks since it's not a heavily used unique usually, with the option to upgrade into Cameria's Avarice later on.

Any nodes I should swap out of that would work better for Mauls? I dropped Blood in the Eyes for Outmatch and Outlast because the damage would be 100% Phys to Cold so bleeding doesn't get me anywhere.
Stick with Herald of Ash, or swap to Herald of Ice and go pure cold damage?
Cold Pen or Hypothermia? I have Hypothermia selected but it lists Cold Pen as slightly more damage, and I don't think this build will have much inherent elemental pen to boot.

unless you're an inquisitor go for pen, trash mobs without resistance would also die to a 5L and you really need all the dps for any boss mob that actually has cold resistance

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I tried out that thing I mentioned earlier, Bloodseeker with Soul Taker and Dual Strike, I'm doing about three times the damage of Blade Flurry (especially since can use two 50% mana auras now) and chilling pretty much everything on hit. I leech even more too. Way better loadout and I can wreck packs from the Might and Influence splash damage.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I wonder if there's any mileage in using two jewels to force Elemental Hit to be always fire and taking Avatar of Fire and whatever else conversion stuff. (Assuming that the flat cold/lightning damage on the gem is available for conversion before it's set to zero)

Alternate far too fiddly option: use a jewel to stop it choosing, say, cold. Then mainhand a weapon with flat fire, offhand a weapon with flat lightning and hope the alternating hits line up right.

e: Depending on the numbers, it might turn out to be good levelling gem, since it's an attack with a shitton of added flat damage so your crappy weapon won't matter so much.

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 25, 2018

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
From what I can tell, AoF, CtF, and a CotB will give 100% cold and 90% lightning conversion to fire, but only 1/3 of the hits will trigger the AoE unless you can still freeze/shock/chill while specced AoF somehow? I've never played elementalist because the other 2 ascendancies always appealed more to me. How janky would this setup be without having to rely on stuff like 3 dragons to shock or an aquamarine/cwdt vortex to chill?

Edit: I guess it depends if the "only deal that element" applies to damage pre or post conversion. If it's the latter my idea of using 3 dragons and igniting with prolif cwdt cold snap is out.

Cory in the Blouse fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 25, 2018

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

only will supercede everything much like AoF.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Why not drop the fire damage, pick up a unique that lets your lightning ignite, and get that sweet 40% more multi plus EE

Stormfire maybe?

queeb fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 25, 2018

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Does anyone have a suggested build guide for a Death's Oath witch? Regular Ed/Cont/Blight until you get your Death's Oath, I guess?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Watched the vaal skills video Ziggy just put up, looks like regular arc is now getting the splits when hitting a target as well, that's fuckin huge. Self cast arc/vaal arc might be my league starter. Toss an impulsas on there as an elementalist and you got a stew goin on. poo poo you might not even need an impulsas now that it splits.

Edit: sounds like it hits an additional enemy each time it chains, so you only have one long chain going out still but every time it jumps it shits out an additional arc that doesn't chain but hits an extra target. So from 3-7 targets now to 6-14 after the patch. that's awesome. Vaal arc still shits out the huge chain all over.

queeb fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

queeb posted:

Watched the vaal skills video Ziggy just put up, looks like regular arc is now getting the splits when hitting a target as well, that's fuckin huge. Self cast arc/vaal arc might be my league starter. Toss an impulsas on there as an elementalist and you got a stew goin on. poo poo you might not even need an impulsas now that it splits.

Nah you definitely want an inpulsa for selfcast arc, it's absolutely massive for clearspeed AND it gives you a ton of damage and utility