Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I've not played this game before but I was talking to a couple of friends about it a few days ago, who explained some things and showed me some videos, and it looks a lot of fun to play. I was told I should wait to start playing until this week when the new patch comes out though, so I'll do that.

One thing I'm not too clear on is how character builds work, because I saw the passive skill tree and that looks very confusing to me, however I do know that skills for abilities you attack with, etc, are gems you slot into your equipment though, unless I'm mistaken?

For example, I generally like 3 types of playstyles:
1) Hitting things really hard with a giant weapon, or dual-wielding, or with a sword and shield (especially if the shield has attacks that let me hit things with the shield).
2) Summoning lots of minions like skelllingtons or zombies or demons or whatever to flood the area and kill things for me.
3) Running around and casting a bunch of damage over time effects onto enemies.

So, if I wanted to do something like these builds, firstly would it be easy to do one of these when I'm just starting the game (especially minions)? How would I actually build a character in one of these ways with the passive and the way the gem system works? How would I get the skill gems needed to try to doing any of this?

Sorry for these dumb questions, I did try reading the OP but even that was overwhelming and somewhat confusing for me and I didn't see anything really basic like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Thanks for all those replies everyone, that's all super helpful for me! I'm looking forward getting into this game when the new patch is live :)

I'll especially watch through the beginner guides that Lechtansi linked, I must have missed that while looking through the OP, apologies. Also thanks Jazerus too for that really helpful breakdown of skills, passives, and how to plan/do a build, I'll check out that wiki too.

I'll definitely look up the build Twist And Pout! mentions, that sounds a fun thing I like the idea of.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I've been playing PoE for a few weeks now, and I'm looking into buying some things from the shop (partly for myself and partly to support the devs for this great game I'm playing). However I'm quite unsure what might be good to get.

I've been told that getting some stash tabs, especially the currency and map tabs, is a great idea. Also I'm told there might be a sale on these this weekend so I should wait until then before getting them. Is there anything else that might be good to buy? I see there are so many things I could buy, so I'm wondering about any of the supporter packs or similar, are they good to get? Basically I'd like to know if there's anything I should look at to buy, please.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Elerion posted:

Buy a $60 supporter pack for a sweet cosmetic set and 550 points.

Spend the points as such:
75 - Currency tab (huge QoL)
150 - Map tab (huge QoL)
150 - Quad tab (for dumping various loot in)
75 - 5x Upgrade stash tab (tabs can now be labelled and/or used for selling at various price points. I leave one not upgraded because then it’s unique and basically labelled too)
100 points left over for whatever you want

If you wait for a stash sale you can save 20% and fit in another premium bundle or quad tab, but you probably won’t need it.

Essence tab, fragment tab and divination tabs are fluff, skip them.

You can buy 300points for $30 and skip the quad tab (and cosmetics) if you’re on a budget. The rest is nearly mandatory to get max out of the endgame.

Thank you everyone for the advice, especially Elerion for the detailed breakdown of what is worth buying with the points! I'm not too sure I'd want to spend $60 right now though.

Two extra questions: Is there any specific supporter pack I should think about getting? I think there are three or four different $30 and $60 versions from looking at the store, but I'm not really sure what might be best.

There's also a starter pack which costs $20 which gives me a stash tab, 200 coins and a sword I think? Would that be worth getting?

I'm not 100% sure I'll buy anything soon but I'm thinking I might do, so I appreciate all the advice!

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I've been trying to complete all the challenges this season, which is the first time I've managed to get invested in the game beyond completing the acts and a few maps a few years back, which has been fun but quite difficult for me in places. I'm only a few categories away from finishing them all except for a couple of very grindy ones, but the category to kill four bosses at level 85 I'm completely stumped on and I just cannot do any of them. Either my build isn't so good for the bosses or I'm just really bad at doing the fights (it's this one).

Is there any way I could ask or pay someone here to help me out, and by help I mean kill them for me while I'm dead on the floor? Unless it doesn't work like that and I have to be alive at the kill.
I'm not sure which four would be the easiest but I have an assortment of fragments for them and I think just respeccing my atlas passives between the fights is the easiest way to go about it.

I wouldn't ask unless I really felt I couldn't do it but it just feels beyond my skill level (unless I make a new character for a different build I guess), and apologies if asking for this sort of thing is frowned upon :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Papercut posted:

People on the discord can for sure help, or you can ask in general chat #5555 and probably someone will help, or you can also join the tft discord (sorry I forget what this stands for, the forbidden trove or something) where people sell boss running services. Uber bosses run about 1div each, but if you look around there are plenty of people who will do it for free if you're providing your own fragments.
Okay, thanks, that sounds good. I often forget I'm in 5555 as I find it's not too active when I play but I think I'm on the discord so I might ask there too.