Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

J posted:

Unofficial Skill Calculator: http://www.poebuilder.com
This hasn't been updated in a while. Use https://www.poeplanner.com/ instead

Add
Exchange rate tracker: http://poe.ninja/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
223 twinned Race courses ( if that works ( no it's not worth rolling them to twinned even if it does ) )

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 31, 2017

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

tithin posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for an archer-esque starter, my verrrrrrrry first character back in technical alpha (who I'd like to stress was god awful) was basically a walking shotgun with chaining shots and I'd like to use something like that again but that's hopefully end game viable

The short version I can give you right now is to go elemental, either Doomfletch's Prism stacking physical damage on gear and using Chance to Bleed support, or Windripper and either Added Cold or Added Lightning. Both of these are buffed quite a bit with this patch, so old guides might not be optimal.

I can throw together a quick tree based on what I would recommend for softcore: raider based on which version you want - or maybe another ascendancy if you have something in mind already; provided I have time left over after I am done with my own tinkering.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

tithin posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for an archer-esque starter, my verrrrrrrry first character back in technical alpha (who I'd like to stress was god awful) was basically a walking shotgun with chaining shots and I'd like to use something like that again but that's hopefully end game viable

Hamburger Test posted:

The short version I can give you right now is to go elemental, either Doomfletch's Prism stacking physical damage on gear and using Chance to Bleed support, or Windripper and either Added Cold or Added Lightning. Both of these are buffed quite a bit with this patch, so old guides might not be optimal.

I can throw together a quick tree based on what I would recommend for softcore: raider based on which version you want - or maybe another ascendancy if you have something in mind already; provided I have time left over after I am done with my own tinkering.

This is what I most likely will be doing:
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...4_9bv66_sj_3g==

Lioneye's Fall required north of Acrobatics. Help Alira, it's definitely worth it for most crit builds (which most bow builds should be).

Cold damage based, most of the damage coming from Added Cold Damage and Ice Bite. This way you're less dependant on drops, you will want to use the fastest bow you can as you level to get the most out of flat damage bonuses.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Unlucky7 posted:

Forgive me if this sounds rude, but using a skill that only uses the main hand while DW sounds non optimal at best. Then again, so are a lot of things that are fun :v:. My question is: does the benefits of DW outweigh what a good 2H weapon could do with those types of skills?

It's not just about the DW bonuses the other benefits are a) utilizing global stats on the weapon you are not swinging (these can be very good as in the examples given) and b) only having to invest in a good roll on one weapon.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

This ad appeared on the same page as that post

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

..btt posted:

That isn't quite true by the way. Assuming you have some unlocked, magic mobs can drop T2, rare/unique mobs can drop T3 in unshaped Jungle Valley. Just like all other dropped loot.

Rares do not drop +2, that was changed a while ago - I am not sure about other unique mobs, but I don't think anything but the boss(es) can drop +2.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Map

quote:

Magic and rare monsters can drop maps that are +1 tier above and map bosses can drop +2 tiers above the map area the character is in respectively.

Maybe there's another page that wasn't updated?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Item Level is still monster level +2 from rares and uniques (e.g. invaders, exiles and bosses), map level is it's own thing since 2.0

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1304441

quote:

Map bosses are the only way to get a map that is two levels above the area you're in.

I realise now that I didn't specify that I only meant map levels in my initial reply - I forgot to address the last sentence of the post I quoted.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Sep 5, 2017

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

..btt posted:

Ugh, why would they do that? Was it really so game breaking occasionally getting one map level higher that they had to decouple map drops from literally everything else that drops? Sometimes they make some really bizarre decisions.

Not really no, the problem they were trying to address was that like now, a lot of bosses were skipped entirely pre 2.0 and with no Atlas bonus and fewer drops there was very little reason to do them at all especially since they were a lot more dangerous at the time - this was well before Ascendancy.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

..btt posted:

I would argue, with the benefit of hindsight, that was utterly ineffective and just added another obtuse inconsistency to the game. I mean, it doesn't make the game bad or anything, but it was a dumb change.

I don't disagree with you, I just relayed the reason they gave in the patch notes with the context as I recall it.

I found another clarification that I was unclear on myself:

quote:

Bonus unique monsters (such as Rogue Exiles) can not drop maps.
I thought they (apart from beyond bosses) could at least drop +1; but I guess not.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Devor posted:

To briefly expand, item drops work by selecting a base item, then applying your 'rarity' to the roll - so a white item is more likely to be magic or rare (maybe unique?) with higher rarity, but it's still a Glorious Plate or Coral Ring.

For Currency drops, the Alteration Orb or Chaos Orb or whatever is the 'base item'. And there's no magic or rare version of an Alteration Orb. The game does not select a generic 'currency' roll and apply rarity to make it have a chance at a Mirror.

Further, 100% quant effectively give you as many uniques as 100% rarity would (adding rarity on top of a lot quant can pay off - but the trade off in clear / kill speed is hard to justify).

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Mathil. It's basically what I was doing on my first character - but Opus is a bit better damage than Windripper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK3UwNUcBi8

Do this but with windripper and a Bisco and make more money and QotF to run faster.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

StashAugustine posted:

fall is 'down' to about 165c right now, from a high of like 180 and a low of 90; im kinda hoping it drops more but im running out of skill points i can allocate without it

I picked one up for 15c.

Day 3 or 4.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

check uberlab for the days layout, look for 3-4 darkshrines and early puzzles near the main path for a quick 2 curious chests and 2 of his mechanics you don't mind having at full power, run izaro on those days, 4 darkshrines guarantees you get at least a treasure key or twice blessed at the end.

And then the game crashes when you're 2/3 through.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

As a raider I'd say you're better off with cold damage.

Passives
Get Winter Spirit, Fangs of Frost
You should not need Sprit Void, just the hybrid leech node should cover all your mana issues - if not, get a jewel with +2 mana on hit.
Heavy Draw is probably not worth the investment, need to PoB that to check.
Same with Coldhearted Calculation, I tend to favor going north from Vaal Pact instead of through Nullification.

Support gems:
Get Ice Bite, Added Cold damage.
Drop Phys2Light and probably PPAD

Slightly longer project would be to switch from Lioneye's Glare to a better crit bow, I would recommend Death's Opus but Mathil hiked the price of that massively and you need accuracy on gear to do that.

That said, you should check out Mathil's Ice Shot raider that I posted recently. You can use whatever skill you want, it's pretty much the same build.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Had a chance to check in PoB.

This is the tree I would recommend at your level (+1) url

To go with the suggested gem swaps.

Buy 3 jewels with life and 1-2 of (depending on your budget) bow aspeed, bow physical, projectile damage, global crit mult, phys damage, aspeed. That's roughly the order of importance.

Buy a Starkonja's or a rare helmet with life and resists.

Use Herald of Ice instead of Thunder.

*One note, this tree has 20 less int - which would impact your CoH, Assassin's Mark and HoT. And you should still use two of those, though the level of them is not quite as important.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 13, 2017

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Noone in their right mind tries to link a poo poo rolled LG. The really good ones are worth money regardless of sockets, because it has 3 variables that all contribute to the end dps.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Vasudus posted:

real winners make giant dicks with maps

GGG started it by making small dicks on maps

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Holyshoot posted:

big different between take an item you need and CLEAR THE WHOLE TAB OUT.

I don't even remember the last time that happened. Vendoring it gains you barely nothing, so you're just basement level trolling with barely an impact.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I took a fairly long break, have they reverted Warding flasks cancelling out map curses?

Cool thanks, probably my favourite stealth change.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 8, 2017

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I wonder if there really are a lot of people who buy points to then buy lootboxes. For me they have become a way to use some of the points I have accrued buying supporter packs; though it still sucks to get 2-3 pieces of a set that doesn't really go with anything and then having to wait months to actually use it.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Craig K posted:

nice 60+ ex dude

(or more, the only comparable ones i can find in standard go for that)

Your search is way too specific.

Go a little bit under for life and do pseudo total resists instead, and don't combine the rarity rolls since the implicit can be blessed.

https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Abyss/kdzjkemho

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Live searches have a timeout of 2 hours, so that may be something to be aware of for anyone wanting to try it out - otherwise I like it, I've been switching pretty regularly and they are pretty close functionality wise.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Doomfletch is probably the best use of that.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Jinnigan posted:

the 6l is part of the unique, apparently
But is the 6s? And what about uses both hands?

This only matters if you can get a higher ilvl from the cards though.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 21, 2017

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
So regarding Bisco. If you have one and don't need the neck slot for your particular build or the currency you'd get from selling it now, put it on and sell it later when you do need the currency.

If you're sitting on 16ex and can fit it in your build, buy it and use it. Sell it again when you want to use that currency for something else.

Apart from a minor dip over Christmas, It hasn't gone down in value at any point and it's probably not going to until the end of league is announced.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
With the price of sextants being what they are, you basically have to first use a bunch to block out the bad mods so that you're almost guaranteed good ones. And then you have to run the map a lot to recover the cost of blocking in the first place. Wearing IIQ gear helps as well.

Of the ones you listed only Atoll really seems to be worth doing it on because the maps are placed densely enough on the atlas to take advantage of blocking.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Zero VGS posted:

Also, side question, is there game that plays like Diablo, but is actually a controller-based twin-stick game where you can move and attack independently? In particular when I played Bastion, my first thought was "if this was done online like Diablo / PoE I'd never stop playing it".

Victor Vran should fit that quite well, though I doubt you will find enough variety or depth to keep playing it. But it's fine for a different take on the genre.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Holyshoot posted:

you can only one shot a white mob so hard. At some point defense becomes more valuable unless you don't like leveling past 90.

It's softcore; it already has life.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

TheRat posted:

Think Ive gotten everyone who asked for a guild invite, but if I missed you (or you didnt post yet), there's still plenty of room (and there probably wont be in two days so get in now)

Can I get one for Tabyssal please?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Count Uvula posted:

40% increased damage taken is small potatoes, that's like a mediocre jewel's worth of damage. Don't sweat it.

As an example of how important specific words are, 40% increased damage taken is huge. Luckily that was not what it was.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

TheRat posted:

That thread pops up every league that isnt full harbinger retardation. And it's pretty much always the same bullshit. RNG is RNG - variance is variance. Grind it out and you'll sustain.

Having put a lot of time into another game that is also very RNG heavy, I am starting to understand how :tinfoil: the majority of people are when it comes to this stuff.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Can I get an invite for Flashtab, if it's not already too late?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I stopped doing them early game as I'm stubborn and started with a bow build. Started doing them again when my clear speed picked up in A4. Made a decent chunk of chaos out of them. Being overlevelled was useful for a bow starter tho.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Fenris13 posted:

With Rain of Arrows, point blank and Chin Sol count the distance from where you target it to the target hit, so against a boss if you target right on him, you should get almost all your bonuses, obviously trash gets melted no problem, even if you target at your feet.

Unless the rework for RoA changed what the game considers the origin, no.

https://dd.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/3xsvb7/rory_just_confirmed_that_point_blank_does_not/

Also, having played RoA exclusively with Chin Sol for a couple of days now ( bought mine when they were 10c+ )the damage bonus from it only applies when you get in their face.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 6, 2018

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Velveteen posted:

I actually don't use path of building. I just pick my skill points off poeskilltree and then change around as I play the character. I'll tell you what I have and you can calculate the dps yourself with pathofbuilding.

Current tree is: https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscr..._GK8rj8xf1u_94=

Chin Sol for weapon, Hrimsorrow for conversion. If you have lioneye's fall replace the leech circle with the claw half circle for leech.
5L using vaal rain of arrows, physical projectile damage, weapon elemental damage, cold penetration, slower projectiles. Since rain of arrows isn't a projectile it doesn't get slowed down but still gains the damage from projectile attacks. Not sure what I want for the last link, probably faster attacks.

I'm only converting 65% using temple gloves (might want to look into that) but added cold is the best damage support for me. You could also consider either of the crit gems and swapping to conc for bosses.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Velveteen posted:

Wait, added cold? That doesn't sound right.Is it because the conversion is only at 65% you're only taking around half the effectiveness of cold penetration and weapon elemental damage? Or is added cold just that good. I'll give it a try.

What? Added cold support scales with both of those. Also it is very good, they buffed it 2-3 leagues ago. Of course it really needs the gem levels to be worth it.

E:
Hadn't actually looked at your tree, you're grabbing more phys scaling than I would. Deadly Draw is fairly strong, but I wouldn't take Heavy Draw on a non bleed build, and Will of Blades is not very good. If you didn't have those I would have skipped PPAD as well. But in this case I can see Added Cold might not be as attractive.

My tree:
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscr...rj9bv4K_o_-uv_e

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 7, 2018

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
It took me a little while to progress to red maps on my RoA character, but at this point I'm doing better than any of my LA/IS + Barrage builds in the past couple of years. My Harbinger Tornado Shot might have been stronger - definitely had better clear but was far worse on bosses.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/fatmanuel/characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Fenris13 posted:

I am fairly certain that against a single target you do not get 50% of all arrows landing on them, The graphics do not line up with this at all, and it would be the single highest damage dealing attack in the game by almost double. I believe that once a target has been chosen for RoA, it can not be chosen a second time, thus against a single target you get 1 guaranteed arrow and 20ish random explosions, giving the attack a very large damage variance.

What I am interested in learning about with regards to RoA is how increasing area of effect impacts the ability. Because the arrows drop in concentric circles, it is possible that increase the aoe doesn't increase the spread, and only increases the explosion aoe, thus increase aoe would greatly increases damage potential.

Increased area does increase the overall coverage.