Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So I'm trying to get some new players into this with 3,0; what are some common newbie pitfalls to be ready for, from a teaching standpoint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I forgot about commander of darkness and purity of elements, so now I'm overvalued by like 50+. Do I just roll with it or do I replace all my rares with stuff with more life?

Related, I tried the midnight bargain on my spectre build, and it was way too rippy. Pretty cool when I wasn't getting one shot though.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

When planning a character, it's less 'which class fits my playstylr' and more 'which skill gem do I want to focus on.' Once you pick a skill, then you choose a class and build that complements it.

Essentially every ascendancy has viable builds, but saboteur and Scion are probably weaker than the others, while if you read the last page or so, it looks like berserker may be a little too good.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So I was using poe price to check my stash, and I got some results that seemed...weird. Either prices too high or that returned 0 results. Would goons mind taking a look?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Goa Tse-tung posted:

btw that build? yeah it's shaper viable because everything is :psyduck:

That build was my league starter in both breach and legacy, it's pretty much my favorite.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Dr Vorici, Or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The 5L.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Some thoughts:

I'm having a pretty consistent crash if I try to run PoE and any VOIP. Which sucks, because I like to MP/chill when playing. It seems to be only since the latest patch.

I'm into Orange maps, and I still am not currency positive without using Chaos recipe. It feels like my leveling character is bankrolling my mapping character.

The guide I'm using recommends Mistress of Sacrifice instead of Spirit Eater. Is there something I'm missing, or is 30% movespeed > 30% damage?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Soothing Vapors posted:

It's hard to overstate how good Mistress of Sacrifice is. At high levels clearing efficiently is all about going fast, and permanent Flesh Offering is just incredible. It makes Shield Charging around incredibly fast and smooth. If you haven't tried it, try it. You can always respec out of it (5 respec points per ascendancy node).

Spirit Eater is Very Good, but usually has to get kicked to the curb in a spectre build because Soul Weaver takes up so many points.

Also, you should be currency positive by the time you hit Tier 6 maps. Probably before then. Make sure you're, at a minimum, transmuting/augmenting/alting them until you get packsize above 10. Don't waste chisels or alchs on maps until you're at least in at T10-12, they're not worth it.

Alright on MoS vs. Spirit Eater. I still haven't beaten uber lab. Because I'm bad and keep ripping to traps.

It might be because I'm still using Alchs and Vaals like crazy to fill out my atlas, but when I'm not doing that, I'm generally doing the magic method, no chisels. I'm just generally only getting alts and transmutes, along with only occasional maps. Things feel better in the T12+ range, but I'm kinda rippy (because I'm bad, I think my build/character is in pretty good shape) so I haven't gotten past level 86.

Which T6 should I use my Shaper's Orb on? I know the meta has shifted away from Strand, but to what, and what are the pros/cons?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

MMF Freeway posted:

Yeah specters are a huge pain in the rear end

Huge other factor that makes them a pain in the rear end: the desecrate trick doesn't work on all maps. It won't work on maps with the 'spawns many x' and even worse it seems that different maps can spawn only certain spectres. The guide I'm using relies on solar guard, and keeps a running list of whichever maps work. That said, solar guard are disgustingly good, like outside of boss fights they seem perfectly fast at t14. And I'm pretty sure I could make them better if I was using something to boost their laser rather than lmp.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Goddammit. I corrupted an Essence of Hysteria, and the mob that spawned had such high life regen that I not only didn't get the essence, I lost my last red map (with 10 total kills) and all my experience for the session.

I just generally feel like I've hit a wall. Maps aren't dropping, currency isn't dropping, I can't get past the traps in Uberlab consistently enough to beat it. The only progress I've made in the last 30 or so hours has been via Chaos Recipe, which I've been weaning myself off of but it's being replaced with pretty much alteration orbs.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

OK, getting from 86 to 87 was an insane slog, I kept ripping. I couldn't get the last 60% until I decided gently caress clearing the atlas, just focus on getting XP as quickly as possible.

In that spirit, I'm presenting my character, MushyStamps, for goon review and critique. And yes, resists are capped, I'm using Purity of Elements. I can probably spec out of one of the 30 str nodes for another 5% hp, but I feel kind of stumped otherwise. My budget is ~50C.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

There should be a super hardcore mode where the character's death deletes the MTX that was equipped.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

OK, so I want to jump in on this league, but I am completely overwhelmed by looking at the new gearing options, so I have no idea what to play. I've been playing fairly casually since Breach, and I've gotten the following up to maps:

Essence Drain-Contagion
Reverse Shockwave Searing Bond (twice)
Frostbolt CWC Storm Burst
Earthquake
Bladeflurry
Specters (Solar Guard)
Tornado Shot

I liked the Searing Bond and the Solar Guard the most, and I really hated the TShot. EQ and BF were pretty boring, frostbolt and contagion were pretty fun. I kind of want to play something different this league.

I've heard Volatile Dead is pretty clunky? I've been thinking about Dark Pact Totems, Ethereal Knives, or Frostblade, based on some very limited research. I don't like mines. What do you guys suggest/think?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I got an Arc totem build up to 82 or so, and it's my first "not comically gimmicky" build I've gotten past 50.

Jesus Christ. I'm not even sure I see more than 20% of what I kill before they get bug zapper'd from 2 screens away. I'm not even confident I'm a major participant in my own gameplay.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Craig K posted:

i seem to recall hearing somewhere that ggg noted that a heartbreaking number of mirrors are found by newbies who "what the gently caress is this thing" waste it on something stupid

I would love nothing more than if mirror drop rate dynamically decreased as you played more

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Tai posted:

That’s 5 minutes of my life I won’t get back. Can we get back to PoE? This isn’t the “how can I get offended today” thread.

if the next league is asmiserable as synthesis it will be both!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I'm really pumped: some friends of mine from other games had said they were interested in getting into POE and I tepidly said to hold off cuz synthesis is overwhelming and ending soon, so this league is perfect for newbies. Getting hype as hell.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Is there a comprehensive guide to cwc & coc? I've got a lot of questions and that might be faster.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

please knock Mom! posted:

People say they want an auction house, but what they really want is Amazon Prime. I'm glad ggg is sticking to its guns on this issue. gently caress reducing items to one click buyable pixels.

I mean they're currently 3 click buyable pixels.

I've never really understood what the motivation or goal of high-friction trade is. I mean, if they just outright eliminated trade I'd understand what they're going for, but the only thing that's really getting accomplished by the system as it exists is a lot more people are getting good at making bots to simulate auction house like mechanisms. Is GGG doing like a side business in training people for like Uber's driverless cars or something?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

TheRat posted:

Friction gives items value. Lack of friction means a polarisation towards where items are either worthless or very expensive. Imagine a fully automated auctionhouse. You'd throw every rare you found on there in hopes of someone picking it up, as would everyone else. This would mean extreme devaluation of everything but the most well rolled items. See: Diablo 3.

I've heard this argument before but I don't follow it mechanistically.

Why would reducing transaction costs cause prices to fall in some sectors and rise in others? Normally reducing transaction costs causes all prices to fall i.e. little change to prices broadly speaking, since the price of currency also falls. I don't see any reason for POE to be unique in this regard.

To my knowledge, the main victims for reduced transaction costs are secondary markets, which in POE means trade bots. Is there a reason we want to preserve those that I'm not seeing?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I know that GGG is more likely to go full current day d3 than to put in qol improvements, but the precedent is already set as players make 3rd party tools, so, 3rd party trade bots that simulate a marketplace

Which will own when a bored fintech makes speculator bots

Carrier posted:

They are rng, but I find it much more difficult to believe that I'm the outlier over the course of like 8 leagues at this point with lucky map drops (which are themselves incredibly granular anyway so should normalise fairly well over the course of a few hours of mapping let alone a whole league) and its not some systematic problem in how people are approaching the atlas/rolling their maps/misconceptions of playtime to returns.

it's much more likely that those of us who have bad luck are outliers. Enough people play that even if an event is unlikely it can happen to hundreds of people.

I've only had one map-positive league (breach), and while that's unlikely it's not spectacular, just annoying.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Carrier posted:

Don't take this the wrong way, but how efficiently are you actually playing those hours?

This is possible but the number of people that complain about map drops every league is huge and I don't know if I truly believe that every single one of them is just experiencing bad rng. I don't know, theres some sort of bias here obviously because you only hear the ones complaining, but it still seems too much to me.

"We lose money every unit we sell!"

"We'll just have to make it up on volume."

Betrayal was my worst luck - I was progressing for a while, but then ran maybe 100 maps that, in total, dropped less than 70, and usually at lower level until I was back down to 1s and 2s. I was able to beg and trade to get more maps, but that's a dramatic reduction in efficiency. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, "efficiency" in running maps is largely measured in "runs per hour," and I rarely see people say that IIQ is necessary in order to get to reds. But if the problem is drops/run, a lot of the efficiency advice, like don't clear to 0 monsters, is counterproductive.

I'm inclined to believe that this happens to a few hundred people a league. The difference between "comfortably progressing up the Atlas" and "slowly downgrading which maps you run" is pretty thin, and there's several axes of randomness. I'm not bitter about this, just find it kind of interesting.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

TheRat posted:

You've mixed up expected value and variance.

true lol, but point stands: "just do it more" ceases to apply to poor harvests

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Vasudus posted:

I'm genuinely excited about all of the under the hood mechanics changes even if melee isn't my preferred style. Maybe after these changes it will be!

all my favorites have been totems and minions to date, and I'm pretty amped about a shakeup that might make melee feel good, very hype here

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Why are people defensive about coin flip strategy? As long as there's coin flipping, some folks are gonna get worse results for reasons that are basically not controlled, that's the meaning of tying results to coin flips.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

boredsatellite posted:

sorry guys i have peered into the feature and have determined that this is the league for animate weapons build

animate weapon totem is always good

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

On the one hand, I want to really lean into Cyclone CWC league. On the other, Tectonic Slam Chieftain seems rad and I love Marauder. On both hands, I can't do any meaningful theory crafting.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Just checking my comprehension of POE legalese -

New Valako triggers on "Endurance Charge lost recently." Does that include Immortal Call, or is "spent" or "consumed" or something like that mutually exclusive with "lost"?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Cool when I correctly understand something in POE.

ThermosAquaticus posted:

Thinking about a Tectonic Slam Chieftain, how would you generate endurance charges for single-target? Does enduring cry work for that? You should be able to roughly sustain them once you have them, given the rates of gain and loss are the same, but you need a way to get them in the first place.

I've not played much melee so don't know very much about these kind of specifics.

Tawhoa generates endurance charges on using fire skills, don't even need to hit, just a 35% chance. Never used TS myself so I'm not sure if it's fast enough on its own to feel good. Unless I'm missing something that should get you a few charges fairly safely.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Multistrike is counterproductive since it can use up 3 charges in a cast

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

euphronius posted:

12 impact looks real good ??

Easier to go Crit, insane aoe and MORE damage

A lot of those seem really good.

Can somebody more experienced with POE tell me how good Endless Hunger is, pragmatically? It seems really drat good on the face of it, since leech is generally pretty easy to trigger, but I may be off about something practical.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Xun posted:

Is this a bad league to go minions for the first time

minions are unlikely to get top treatment because it's a less frantic playstyle than preferred by most poe players, but this league shows no signs of nerfing anything minion and some buffs, and minions were already pretty good, so it should be fine

If anything probably a good league since the demand for minion gear will likely be a bit lower due to melee excitement

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I'm assuming Dominating Blow will get the built-in cleave right?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It will be hard to do the league mechanic
you want to focus on specifically breaking open the enemies who are carrying loot or whatever but your minions will just hit the closest guy every time.

is there a damage threshold or will a curse on hit ball lightning set up do the trick?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Cynic Jester posted:

There's a damage threshold.

if they're not targeted by minions or totems, rip ancestral bond

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I'm a bad who often goes right to my endgame skills asap to avoid burning out in the firestorm wastelands, and I guess 15 hours? I'd probably do better if I was more disciplined about not looting and made a list of which sidequests to skip.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Bow dudes -

A friend of mine likes archer stuff in games like these. I've only ever done Tornado Shot, which is pretty funny, but what's the short pro/con on other league starter/newbie bow skills?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Reddit is in rare form today, you'd think that their healthcare or retirement was stored in "nerfs can't happen" stock

Social Media posted:

rain of arrows with a herald of agony setup for single target damage is a great leveling setup. it should remain strong even with the herald of agony nerfs

Carrier posted:

Lightning arrow is baby tornado shot, i.e. it requires less gear to clear really nice but has a lower ceiling than TS.

Ele Hit is busted because it scales off of gem level and you can do shenanigans with the jewels.

Toxic rain/caustic arrow similarly scale off gem level and are very strong but arent really traditional bow skills.

Ice shot can have good clear with chain (don't use the jewel) but is probably weaker than the rest.

Scourge arrow is insanely strong with flat damage but since abyss jewels are getting nerfed might be a bit weaker? not sure I've not played this one really.

thanks! Scourge arrow seems really cool, I'll probably get some small video showcases of those together

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

%DR in any game always increases in value the higher you go up.

Ex: if you go from 0% to 1% reduction, you are taking 99% as much damage as before. But if you go from 98% to 99%, you are taking 50% as much damage as before.

So going from 75% resist to 85% resist is A LOT is what I'm getting at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

That change to melee splash seems really good, no?

Still likely to do Chieftain Tec Slam, the berserker options are too overwhelming