Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I've been vaguely playing through Cruel in the last few days, and getting the Lord's Labyrinth together. I should try to finish beforehand to make sure I get those Ascendancy points. After the Big Change there's no telling what will happen. You'd say I'm in the dull part of my summoner; getting life and resistance nodes close by, with no power increases.

I'm honestly unsure whether the few curses I'm throwing in addition(Mostly Assassin's Mark) are really helping. Then again, it's not like throwing Arc to trigger Elemental Equilibrium to help Hatred Aura is adding much.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not enough has changed for them to be bad. They're as solid as they've always been.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Bardeh posted:

Why does a 25 megabyte patch take over 5 minutes to install?

25? The patch is 79.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Stupid question. I have a Violent Dead jewel. The wording is 'with X intelligence in range, zombie slam attack does more damage, and has increased cooldown recovery speed'. The wording of that last part....I can't tell whether it's slower or faster. Because ofthis, I ain't placed it yet.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 12, 2017

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

quote:

I'm running an SRS/Zombie build right now and it seems to be doing very well. My zombies do seem quite squishy though.

How exactly do they scale? Which stat feeds directly into them?

Look for Minion Damage or Minion HP in the tree. Also there are nodes and gems specifically for minion resistances, regeneration, and life leeching. No main stat feeds 'directly' into them, though the gem itself requires heavy INT. They get quite tough, especially since they start with 40/40/40/20 Fire/Ice/Lightning/Chaos resist.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

whypick1 posted:

Oh you, thinking you'll only make one character... :allears:

That's a matter of sheer preference. Me, seeing all the poo poo that gets thrown at you, wonder 1 How a melee even deals with half of it and deals damage. 2. makes me not want to deal with any of it more than once ever. It's not worth the time or pain investment. I was similar with Diablo 2. Only one character has reached high levels, the rest I can't deal with or focus on.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

NPR Journalizard posted:

Quoting for posterity.

I'm an old rear end perhaps, but I don't see the fun, only the pain and eternal deaths. If I'm still taking deaths even now as a summoner rear end in a top hat who actively has to/thrives on running around like a headless chicken to dodge whatever grade of gently caress you being thrown out and has the relative leisure to do so and thus deal with mechanics by actual observation, while the horde tries to do the actual damage, and has the relative space in the tree to take lots of life and or resist because they complete relatively early around 50, how does a build that has to worry about stacking it's own damage from the tree, that has to worry about raising his direct damage, that actually has to eat half of bullshit because they don't have a choice if they want to get the damage in, do ANYTHING?

I look at something like Izaro or the Shaper or the Gods I'm fighting and frankly I'm fearful and intimidated. They were not easy, they were not a piece of piss, and once was frankly enough, despite the fact I'll need to eventually kill Izaro two more times, with probably worse resistance than now. I can't put in that effort again.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

please knock Mom! posted:

If you save the good rares and uniques you collect during the game, you only have to walk the walk of pain once per league

I'm horrifically lucky that two uniques of value to my situation dropped. Leer Cast and it's damage aura, and Ambron's Charge(Yay, actual resists). My stuff has no value, and I have no actual currency-not in any value everyone keeps spouting. Trading is effectively barred due to sheer lack. Which was why I chose to be an summoner in the first place about 2 years ago-I knew I couldn't do anything of worth or value. Still can't.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Bloodlyshiva I think this is how you show yourself?

I've died 41 times.

I'm trash, I'll remain trash, and there's not really much hope. At all. I feel no accomplishment from what little I've done. The game says I'm a legend. I dun't even know how I ever killed The Beast. I remember many deaths.

I can't do it again. I can't.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 20, 2017

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

The deaths means something(And thank you for it-the impression I've been getting is basically, 'you suck if you ever have trouble or die to anything ever'), the flasks do not beyond what looks like what might be one of the high-end life flasks, maybe?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

I find that the biggest ender of characters is boredom and getting tired of holding the same button for hundreds of maps.

please knock Mom! posted:

this killed 3 of mine already, though 2 were more involved than holding a button

I can say I'm not holding a button. I still cast plenty each engagement with Assassin's Mark, Arc and rarely a Fireball. It's something I need to think about. I 'should' use all my summons. In practice the skels only see the field when I need more bodies(Think Strongbox as well as bosses), and the Raging Spirits rarely get cast. When I need the bodies and damage most, I'm too busy running. Izaro proved that, as have the bosses of the Acts.

I need to think about rejiggering. I dunno. Maybe a Totem? But the debuffs on the Spell Totem gem seem pretty nasty and I dunno if I'd take Totem boosting skills. Not that I especially have the slots.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

How strong are the Herald of Purity summons, and how would you maintain them for a long while? 12 seconds doesn't seem very long.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

They formed Team Rocket and you send them blasting off periodically starting in A9.

So they FINALLY made their move that about half of them spoke about? I thought that would never go anywhere.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJxpI6V7mUyDQITwrF47XxQ

Keep an eye on this channel. He's trying to go after and record as many spectres as possible and record them in action.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Well, the big problem there is the 'new acts' aren't really new. It's the old ones rehashed.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

They are bankrolled by Tencent which is like 10 times bigger of a company than Activision Blizzard, so that probably helps. Tencent has uh... $100 billion in assets and 55000 employees lol.

I guess that means people will start either asking you or yelling at you to boycott them, if they haven't already.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Zenithe posted:

Mathil prediction: Pink Ranger

Given Battle for the Grid, that could get weird.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

So let me see if I understand. If a part refuses to drop, there's nothing that can be done? Loading a new instance doesn't seem to change what parts show up.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

They're all white, they're all linked up. What's the unlucky part?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

People are invested in their character and want to keep playing iut and tossing it out is WRONG and SENSELESS. Who wants to start from scratch? What's the point?

It's easy to understand why.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Aye Doc posted:

I guess this is what Dash will look like now:

https://i.imgur.com/9iDMRO1.mp4

never before has traveling so fast and so far looked so un-cool

I've seen this before.

https://youtu.be/BWrZyAr38Lk?t=18

Sometimes it works visually, and sometimes it doesn't.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Elentor posted:

So I've been perusing at the file changes, and taking a look at the SMAA files, may MSAA rest in peace, and I just love when I open an .hlsl file and this is the first thing that shows up

Jorge Jimenez does R&D at Activision-Blizzard.

Something inside of me feels particularly joyous when I look at the ascii art from the original files taken wholesale into PoE:

It's been about a decade of looking at that.

Edit: Here's a useless trivia, this league is called Affliction internally.

So the previous league could be thought of as Demonology(All the summoning boosts). So, what would be Destruction?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Elentor posted:

I know I'm just parroting myself and I apologize for that but it really needs to be reinforced that they need to stop working on new prettier things and take an entire league or two to work on optimizing things.

Never happen. They're running on Chinese MMO standards. They don't care about the old, only the new. Bigger, flashier. More systems. More money intake.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Completely off the patch notes discussion:

Would you say Spiritual Aid and Spiritual Command are required for summoners?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Thought. Neo Rallying Cry depends on your weapon. There's an enemy which uses Rallying Cry. Ruins Hellion. Enemies don't HAVE weapons. Will it do nothing?

There's an early enemy that uses Enduring Cry. I wonder if they'll become a problem? Or more useful when made a Spectre?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Life force is water-Disperers are sprinklers. You need to put it near your fields to cover them with the proper water. They have a range just like fields. You may also need to shift some seeds around in your fields, because a requirement for higher level seeds is to be surrounded by lower tier seeds.

What complicates matters is that pylon chains-your pipes-can only shift one type of water around each, and you've got three different waters to spread around. Your storage can also only hold one type of water.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 20, 2020

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

With so many gates in terms of what you require in terms of life and resistance, more control in crafting is more and more required.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

search engine posted:

I don't think I'll ever get tired of intentionally skipping over Einhar's targets so he has to follow me around the entire map clearing blights and fighting shaper guardians. No mighty poems for you today, buddy.

you're just giving him material for an even longer and mightier one. "We started out going on a hunt, ended up killing a God" is classic storytelling.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Rutibex posted:

I wonder if Einher gets upset that I'm doing blood sacrifice rituals without him

That would depend on whether Maven is a 'First One' or not.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Well, it'd depend on the numbers. Do they intend hordes to clear through, or bulkier but less of them? Hordes AND bulk is asking for trouble.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

I was always under the impression the game was balanced with killing whole packs in one shot in mind, especially for casters. You're supposed to get enough charges back to recoup the resources spent, and you can't do that if you only kill one monster a cast. But with the last patch it's pretty clear that GGG and I have been playing completely different games, I guess.

It didn't start that way, but moved that way as time went on. More power, more combos, more fast-fast-fast, more speedrunning.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Elevated. A level above the Ascension 'classes'?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Clockwerk posted:

The most promising thing for me was seeing that most of their tweaks were in the 5% to 10% range. It’s as though someone may have finally realized that they have the opportunity to tune things multiple times a year and can take their time to dial poo poo in rather than swing wildly around like an angry anthropomorphic pendulum on bath salts

What's so special about bath salts? Honest question.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

euphronius posted:

Lighting - uh ..
bleed - could not think of something for bleed

Creates a shocked ground zone, lowers lightning resistance, random stun?

Bleed isn't especially something that effects others.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

At this point, just....embrace the crafting machine they themselves put in, put EVERYTHING in there, and the drops/shops are for bases and currency? I don't know. I never get anywhere, and leagues are a pain in the neck by default(I'm slow and re-doing everything from scratch is painful) so I'm always lost. Barely get to maps, never get the max resists that are required, never get the life, never get anything....

Bah. Old man not good enough noob suck. I'm tired.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

As far as I can see it's...a pointless orb for little actual gain? A currency apparently for the sake of having a currency?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Depends where it is. I keep running Summoners, which means by default trying to get to the summon stuff I get a lot of Str, so I tended to take it as a gem. Any Witch or Templar might.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

It wouldn't help. Some of the things that you might want to shoot for because you want to do 'a certain thing' can be a long way off.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Meh. 5 Gig. That'll take something like 2 days. 25 would be even worse.

For another league that will mean nothing to me. Bleh.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

docbeard posted:

No they should launch now so that all the launch bugs will be ironed out by the time we working stiffs get home.

You're not considering download time into this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Jinnigan posted:

*veteran player pukes*

I...still after many years, am lost on this. The knowledge says "Don't pick up anything." The knowledge says ""Trade/buy what you need." With what? "Currency". That never drops. Trade items." You just said, 'don't pick anything up!'