Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm going flicker for pride week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

redneck nazgul posted:

Doryani's Fist now gives you THE TOUCH OF GOD. :getin:

Not dominus' line though, so rip

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Katasi posted:

Can you imagine how annoying that would be if you said it every single time you used the skill?

It'd be awesome

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

queeb posted:

I wonder if some sort of storm burst berserker is viable. I love berserker

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8MdfrMO9aaE

In other news, I want to use double BotC for EQ but poison sounds really inefficient. Any other ways to utilize the chaos damage? An added chaos gem maybe

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
my name is KSgoesBoom and I don't need an invite. I repeat, I do not need an invite

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Cory in the Blouse posted:

There's nothing inherently bad about dual wielding, but it splits your damage budget between 2 items. If you are using a shield, about the worst you can do is a lioneye's. If you are going to be crit at all, you might want to instead look into a lycosidae

Some skills like sunder only use your main hand weapon which frees up your offhand for a stat stick like tempestuous steel or prismatic eclipse. Dual wielding gives you 10% more aspd, 15% block, and 20% more attack physical damage.

Additionally you can game the system by using an offhand stat stick that can't be used with your attack skill, like a sword for dual wield EQ. It won't be used then, so you gain the dw bonuses while only having to buy one weapon.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Unlucky7 posted:

Forgive me if this sounds rude, but using a skill that only uses the main hand while DW sounds non optimal at best. Then again, so are a lot of things that are fun :v:. My question is: does the benefits of DW outweigh what a good 2H weapon could do with those types of skills?

It's much easier to get block with dw than with 2h due to the base 15% and the dual wield aspect node near ranger's part of the tree. Additionally, there's some dw specific nodes which are good for some builds, and you have the opportunity to go for something like a varunastra as well.

Overall dw is in between 1h/shield and 2h, with some bonuses to attack speed which make leap slam feel better. Using one of the two weapons is good as well since you can use one really good weapon and a buffing item.

Alternately you can use a shield, but if you are a gladiator or just want some more offense, dw is potent

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
You can't really gently caress up your tree irrevocably. All you can do is take inefficient paths to things or not take enough life. Part of the game is planning your pathing to make both leveling and endgame playing comfortable.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
If you're a ranger you're absolutely able to play through the first few acts with a tiny life pool, at least if you're a ranged one

Just get heart of oak, herbalist, and some random other life nodes

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Your weapons and abilities have a base crit chance which is enhanced by your increased mods added together times your more mods individually.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Skyl3lazer posted:

Guys I managed to make an outfit that doesn't look total poo poo w/ the harbinger crown effect

I'm sorry, it's just a really bad effect

I prefer the boner aura

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

pokchu posted:

i would be 100% okay with a d3 rift-esque system that allowed me to just open a level appropriate random zone and let me murder stuff instead of having to (literally) just speed through the acts to get to the end

this, the one thing I dislike about the game is that they try to keep the level 100 race competitive to watch, but it's also a major part of their marketing strategy and about the game's community itself. I think that removing some of the more hardcore aspects would make the game too much like d3, and while d3 isn't all bad, making your game more like the game of a super rich competitor probably isnt a good idea

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Sloober posted:

This reminds me a great deal of the same arguments the permadeath players made about reducing the death exp penalty; and they can easily make leagues for whatever kind of race they want to make

I like the gameplay of PoE i just don't like the whole act setup at all, especially in that it's mandatory due to the passive point distribution and how that major/minor god thing works, and when just screaming through running past everything is the best way to do it just seems like not wanting to 'play the game'. I like the challenging bits from maps and occasionally some boss fights, but the acts don't have any of that stuff.

Hell why don't they make a league where every zone has map mods and do that, i'd play that. poo poo, i'd probably really like the game playthrough. Just make them level appropriate and don't add ones that are more standout difficult (So reflects etc) or build exclusive

Because they have a lot of things to worry about. The Standard economy for example, since (as far as I've read) half the game's population plays Standard very regularly. Streamers, since they have to offer them an exciting competition to base their first few days of streaming a new league around. Newbies, who are probably not extremely well-versed in the game's balance and what makes a good build.

Consider this: there's a massive variance between a good build and a bad build in PoE, but the devs want both to be able to play their game, or at least progress in some way. Level scaling would either make the game a complete snoozefest for the better half of the playerbase, or it'd make the game unplayably hard for the more casual/less experienced half.

The solution is to make every build balanced of course, but that also most likely means removing gimmicks and player choice in general, like in diablo the third.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Sloober posted:

You're probably right but i get annoyed when people use the 'hardcore' excuse, because it was often used as a reasoning against anything that made it even slightly more player friendly.

I'm not a hardcore player, but I think it's useful to have a few things to really set your game apart from others of the same genre, and the incredibly rich competitive gameplay this game offers really is something else.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
He mentioned the piscator's in his post, fyi

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
chaos is gonna be a lot more valuable compared to exalts in this league than the previous one because of good zana mods and no es% craft on rings

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I want to play charged dash with dual mjolners

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Kild posted:

why are they like 10c

I don't know

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Set the max buyout to 1-5c and sort by pdps

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Having lots of rares feels extremely comfortable and in my experience they keep value better

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Jazerus posted:

the life and crit strike. the physical damage is also a good roll but amulets roll low on that in general. that is the highest possible natural roll for crit strike on an amulet and the life could only be 18 higher.

literally all of 'em except folks who use resolute technique or minions, with crit builds wanting it really really really badly. there's an amulet on poe trade that's almost identical to that but somewhat worse for 1 exalt atm. that's not necessarily where you should price it (perhaps it hasn't sold for a reason) but you know that folks want it at 20c so nothing to lose from bumping it up

vv oh yeah the int is really good too

physical damage rolls on amulets are really loving desired for doomfletch builds, which also go crit, lmfao

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Deformed Church posted:

I'm not really sure where left to take my build, could anyone offer a little advice? Cyclone seems to be generally fairly well regarded, if not top tier, and I feel like I'm starting to peak before I even hit tier 10 maps, so I assume I've still got a ways to go - people talking about hundreds of thousands of DPS for real endgame stuff and I'm stuck on a tenth of that sort of figure, you know?

https://pastebin.com/WP7Fiptq

I know I've still got uber lab to do (that 40%), which is the big thing, along with getting 6L stuff which is just hugely expensive and I'm not even exactly sure what I'd cram in there. Other than those I feel like I'm really going only for relatively small incremental gear upgrades, and that probably won't bridge the gap between tier 8/9 and tier 15 or shaper. Is this a dead end sort of build, am I underestimating the power of stacking small-ish upgrades, have I royally hosed my tree in some way I haven't noticed?

can't you get a cheap 6L coronal maul and craft that?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Dahbadu posted:

Questions:
- Any obvious critiques or improvements?
- I don't believe that the Less Duration Support gem affects the duration of poisons/bleeds caused by my attacks, and only affects the duration of the skill being used (i.e. Earthquake) but I could be wrong. I googled it, and what I found seems to confirm this, but does anyone know for sure?

How are you planning to cap your resists with that many uniques? 100 res steel rings with life will cost more than most of that build, so IMO you should use a rare belt and rare gloves.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Kaoms Roots make you immune to freeze and temporal chains as well, they're good. I don't know why you're planning this though. Cool plan, that disfavor is going to cost you 350c, 6-linking it in this economy will likely cost you 750 more chaos. Double that and add 100c for G's Pelt. Just grab a cheap 6L maul and craft it a little.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Dahbadu posted:

Exactly -- basically Roots are my big gently caress you to Temporal Chains maps. Yeah, I'll probably go budget. The Disfavor and Pelt aren't build enabling, so I really don't need them.

Edit: Thanks for your advice, BTW. Does anyone know the definitive answer to Less Duration Support affecting bleeds generated that aren't an effect from a skill gem?

theres a gem specially made for that called rapid decay, less duration doesn't affect bleed caused by something.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Bloodly posted:

I'm an old rear end perhaps, but I don't see the fun, only the pain and eternal deaths. If I'm still taking deaths even now as a summoner rear end in a top hat who actively has to/thrives on running around like a headless chicken to dodge whatever grade of gently caress you being thrown out and has the relative leisure to do so and thus deal with mechanics by actual observation, while the horde tries to do the actual damage, and has the relative space in the tree to take lots of life and or resist because they complete relatively early around 50, how does a build that has to worry about stacking it's own damage from the tree, that has to worry about raising his direct damage, that actually has to eat half of bullshit because they don't have a choice if they want to get the damage in, do ANYTHING?

I look at something like Izaro or the Shaper or the Gods I'm fighting and frankly I'm fearful and intimidated. They were not easy, they were not a piece of piss, and once was frankly enough, despite the fact I'll need to eventually kill Izaro two more times, with probably worse resistance than now. I can't put in that effort again.

If you save the good rares and uniques you collect during the game, you only have to walk the walk of pain once per league

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Bloodly posted:

I've died 41 times.

I can't do it again. I can't.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Here is a question, what does a good rare wand look like for barrage and kinetic blast? sorta want to give a wander a try.

Or you can pay a few exalts for a rare wand with t1 lightning, crit, attack speed, and ele damage added to attacks

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Im just showing that you can get to an endgame capable build with some pretty valuable items even if you die a hundred times before because you're bad. I'm not great at this game and made a ton of mistakes, but if you keep playing you'll eventually get there, it's actually really hard to hit a complete brick wall.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

dis astranagant posted:

I find that the biggest ender of characters is boredom and getting tired of holding the same button for hundreds of maps.

this killed 3 of mine already, though 2 were more involved than holding a button

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
the whole idea of ssf is that you build up your own stash of items without trading, why the gently caress would you want to turn it into farming mode for non-ssf characters

just buy a bisco's collar and play warchief chieftain

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mr. Despair posted:

Some people really like the d3 economy

careful, another moron might drive by and imply that you don't know anything about what made d3 bad or that you're just defending ggg's decision not to implement any form of offline/passive trading because of video game tribalism

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
GGG just has to give API users the ability to filter out AFK people more easily, that alone would solve a lot of issues. Not much you can do against price fixing though unless you somehow get the API to tell you who traded what item to who and for what

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
My newbie friends must all be geniuses I guess

Fyi, you can play poe and progress just fine without doing everything perfectly right from the start. In fact, that allows you to gradually get better, which gives you that sense of progression more involved than clearing torment 10 instead of 9

Orange DeviI fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 22, 2017

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
That someone can be Google and like two minutes of your time though. There's guides for everything. The game now explains maps, support gems, links and sockets, and as long as you can do 1% damage before dying its impossible to hit an actual brick wall while on softcore. It's a game you can get better at in a hundred different ways and that's good

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
gently caress caprice nisei

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
druidic rite for 20% flask duration and 20% charges gained is really good imo

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mr. Despair posted:

Better not play any build that does direct damage then, it's just not safe!

welcome to hc

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
he probably included the lab enchant in the search phrase

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Dennis McClaren posted:

Finished the Ascendancy lab/trial thing today and got Chieftain status and my 2 points.
So how do you get more ascendancy points? Is there a limit?

This game keeps getting better. Amazing that it's free. Other developers should take note. The whole City of Sarn Act I just went through had some beautiful maps.

You do harder labs, the max is 8 points, 2 per.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I too make a lot of alts and while I rarely do end game stuff poe is still very enjoyable