Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Anyone got any tips for Ngamahu's Flame cyclone (meatballs)?

There seem to be a bunch of options for Ascendancy - I've read guides for Berserker, Raider and Slayer. Berserker is probably the most straight forward, although on my previous Ancestral Warchief build the "Take 10% more damage" was kind of a liability in the midgame before my hp-pool caught up.

I'm also wondering if the Immolate Support might be a good one to swap in for something. I'm not sure what it would go in place of, though, because the added flat damage is kind of tough to figure how it compares to some of the Increased and More modifiers from the other supports.

I think right now I'm leaning towards the Berserker build. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Pretty sure I'm going to go with the Reave Champion build that's been floating around. Lots of things going for it in my case: stat sticks are still ungodly good, the vaal changes freeing up a gem slot (although no quality... going to be interesting to see how this shakes out), I've always wanted to try Reave and Champion was the first ascendancy I played back in 2.0. Pretty excited.

Reave is kind of a pain in the rear end early on so I'll probably just run Lacerate - it got some buffs and it was ok before. Bestiary was a huge miss for me, I ducked out maybe two weeks in to the league, but Incursion is looking really good and taking basically a whole season off means I'm ready to click the gently caress out of some monsters.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

With no Inpulsa nerf nor any changes to BV I guess I'm going to go with the tri-herald elementalist. Might even be quad herald at this point, if the Herald of Purity is a thing that works with it - and it looks like it should. I'm not sure how big the Vaal Souls Lockout nerf is for the vaal side of BV, probably not significant. Also, it's going to be more difficult to get Quality Vaal gems this league, but I think that'll be fine for the most part.

The only worry I have is whether or not BV will play nicely with however the Delve mechanics work out. It looks like the little minecart moves at a pretty good clip, and once the build really gets rolling the Inpulsa explosions should be able to cover it, but having to be in melee range might be a downer. I made the mistake of playing Reave during Incursion and that was suuuuuper annoying.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

A quartz flask could also do the trick if all you want is phasing. I've had similar problems with Whirling Blades trying to get through some of the tighter corridors during Delves. It hasn't killed me yet so I haven't actually solved it, yet, but I've thought about it.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

What is the 'important' roll on Inpulsa? I'm looking to pick one up for my tri-herald BV Elementalist and I'm not really sure how to tell the good rolls from the bad.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Cinara posted:

Once I got past 200 I have started seeing them a lot more. Though for now I am not doing them until they patch out the bug where the stairs don't open up sometimes.

I read that this happens when there's already an open one in your instance. Like this:

Bad: Send cart to first City. Click button, stairs open. Complete City #1. Click on cart and send it to City #2. Click button to open stairs, nothing happens.

Better: Send cart to first City. Click button, stairs open. Complete City #1. Force a new chunk to load by taking the cart somewhere higher up. Go back to the chunk that has the cities and go to City #2.

I haven't tested this explicitly, but when I tried to do two cities in a row the second failed. Then I ran out of Sulphite and when I came back for the third it loaded just fine so it's at least a thought.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

I'm looking at doing a Fireball / Flame Wall trickster. Been wanting to play fireball for a quite a while and it looks like Trickster didn't get hit toooo bad. Most worried about losing a few defensive options, but I'm a softcore player anyway so if I pay for 6 portals I'll drat well use 6 portals.

That blade blast build looks pretty nasty, though. Gonna check out the ziz chieftain version.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

dyzzy posted:

There's also cold snap/vortex for a damage over time flavor

How's this scale in to red maps / bossing. I almost made one last league but chickened out at the last minute because a friend of mine that plays a shitload says it falls off super hard.

For me I think it's either this or maybe an Archmage Ball Lightning. Or Flamewall spellslinger. Or... hmmm, I guess I don't actually know what I'm doing yet.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

I'm pretty sure I've hit the wall and I don't really know what to do about it. Got 2 builds to 90 - Lightning Strike Raider and Spellslinger Eye of Winter Inquisitor - but neither has the gas for T15+. The Raider is too dependent on burst damage through Vaal LS that doesn't get through conquerors or guardians. Very good sustain through life gain on hit, but a really low EHP pool so if anything real hits you it just goes splat. The inquisitor just doesn't have the damage - I was oversold on the Snakepit + Hydrosphere interaction. Great clear but again on bosses it just doesn't hit hard enough and I eventually lose out to attrition and god drat mana issues. Hadn't played a trigger build since they implemented mana costs for them and god drat does that suck.

I didn't play last league so I guess I'm just feeling the heavy damage nerfs. Feels like you've really got to fine tune a good build to get the oomph to get over the T15 hump. Or maybe I'm just bad. Might try a skele mage build because I've never done one before and it's still performing alright this league. I do have an eye on a dumb VD/DD arcanist brand build but that one's gonna have the annoying mana issues as well. Or maybe I have really just hit the wall and I'll be back in a couple of months to bounce of T16s next league.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

My buddy played an Exsanguinate Champion last league that went really, really well for him. Some gear overlap with Seismic Trap (specifically Cold Iron Point early) which is unfortunate because it's looking like that'll be popular again. Unleash got nerfed a bit and exsang didn't get as much of a buff to compensate, so that's too bad. +2 amulets will be harder to come by and without Sirus as the Atlas End Boss means Crown of the Inward Eye will be more expensive. I don't think any of this is enough to kill the build, though. I hope.

But we're still almost a full week out. I'll change my mind several times between now and then. Ultimately I want something tanky enough to survive the new bosses so I'm not just getting clapped and learning nothing as I burn through six portals.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

I noticed a summoner using this weapon in Scourge League along with The Squire to have a 12-link for their minions:

What in the gently caress is going on here? I've seen weapons that can roll like Increased Critical Strikes, but since when was Multistrike or Ruthless even possible?

Awakener's Orb for a double influence Shaper/Elder base. Then just get to rollin and pray to the RNG gods. Or more likely, sacrifice to the RNG demons. For level 20 of all those support mods, craftofexile puts this item at a little over 25 billion chaos to hit it.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Yolomon Wayne posted:

fuckitall, im going lightning strike.

Either Raider or Zerker, unsure if i can stomach the incredible micro that zerker needs to be completly imba though... maybe league starter is better as Raider i guess?

I league started a Lightning Strike Raider for Scourge and it absolutely owned. Like a lot of builds, I hit a wall when it was time to start pushing big bosses - even map bosses up to t15/16 were fine but Guardians/Conquerers were a struggle. You get a crazy burst with Vaal Lightning Strike but if you can't finish the job with that you're in a bit of trouble. I know that the build CAN scale out of this but I don't really have the patience to min/max a build like that and moved on.

Started as Spectral Helix and then respecced in to lightning strike once I had enough points on the tree to get projectile pierce on the right side. The other alternative is a LS pierce helmet enchant but obviously that's not going to be a good bet for the first couple days of league. This lets you run LS without Pierce Support and take another damage support instead.

Fuzzy Duckzy has a great guide on YouTube which is what I followed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3XjYooG26w

I haven't specifically watched this 3.17 guide, but he served me really well in the 3.16.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Hamelekim posted:

What is the mod pool like for amulets? How reasonable is it to find an item like that?

Can't be very good, but higher than the actual zero percent chance it was before so... this is a buff?

Hoping it's not going to be too bad because I'll be wanting one for my build (self-cast Exsang Champion) but hoping some of the new orbed implicits will fill in the gap. The build only has a unique helm (and it's the Sirus helm at that, so maybe not even that for a while...) so I'm hoping 2x new implicits on body / boots / gloves can help out.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

I think archnem is overtuned and I’m glad they are nerfing it again but watching Reddit have a total baby rage meltdown has been very entertaining.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Anyone played brands recently? Specifically something like Velyna's Storm Brand Inquisitor? Or a suggestion of a different brand build that you've played and was good? I haven't played a brand build other than using them to level through Acts. I've got actual zero idea of what to play this league and nothing is inspiring.

Last league I started with a seismic trapper and farmed up ~20ex for a CoC Forbidden Rite Occultist which ended up being the best build I've ever played. Melding of Flesh + Aegis Aurora was the most broken poo poo. I don't expect anything I play this league will come close to it, but I did learn a lot about prioritizing upgrades and making poo poo work swapping out smaller pieces to make room for the late game stuff as I acquired it.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

shimmy shimmy posted:

They posted the 20/20 gems on twitter

The damage seems relatively uninspiring compared to Storm Brand since it can only hit one target every .6 seconds unless you scale shock effect, but it's got a fast cast time at least. Might work really well as a combination build though

Yeah, curious how this will stand up to good ol' fashioned Orb of Storms. Not sure how reliably you can get a 50% shock on the things that matter, and without that it looks like the numbers don't really add up. That .6sec/target thing is a real buzz kill.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

MMF Freeway posted:

Gems are out and conduit got pre-buffed? I'm definitely starting to consider it

Yeah, Galvanic Field also got both a damage buff and a hit-rate buff (.6 to .5). I'll def be checking how it fits in to the Storm Brand build.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

whypick1 posted:

I'm guessing it's this

I actually used this quite a bit last league and found it to be reallyyyyy helpful very early when Chaos are worth more. The filter updating to highlight what you need makes it idiot proof, and then it tells you where to click to collect your stack of chaos every few maps. I'm definitely going to use it again this league since currency prices are gonna be volatile. I'm not falling for the reddit doom-saying of 3c Exalts and 500c divines but it's going to be different for sure.

Tai posted:

Is tornado shot league starter viable or will it hit a big gear check?

I don't think there's a reasonable way to play TS as a league starter. Even the juiced builds tend to just be focused mappers and poo poo bossers which you can't really do as your first build anyway.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Good notes, thanks much. I noticed the CF KB build guide I was looking at uses Spellslinger instead of poets pen to start so that might be an option. Got a recommendation on champ vs gladiator for that build?

I think glad is probably easier to get off the ground (bleedsplosions from ascendancy) but champ is the better all-rounder. I played it as a champ two leagues ago and it was great - I don't remember how badly it was nerfed the last couple of leagues but I think it's probably still very good. Not sure where the builds you're looking at end, but I went with Gull + Blunderbore shenanigans and it was fun as gently caress to have like 9k life and perma-fortify. Boss damage is only medium at the very best, though, so keep that in mind.

Was pretty set on doing Velyna's Storm Brand Inquis until Anime Princess put out a nice Spark vid and convinced me that league starting Spark isn't a terrible idea. I've wanted to play Spark since back in the Voltaxic days but have never tried it. Now I'm realizing these are both lightning builds and it's shaping up to be Lightning League and I don't want to get caught in the Mathil Trap and pay 10x for whatever medium uniques I'd want to run in yellow maps. I've either played or have no interest in a lot of the other ideas I've seen so I'm kind of at a loss. Not going to be able to no-life league start, though, so it might not matter too much in the end.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

whypick1 posted:

This is why I'd be hesitant about going Champ over Glad for CF KB this league. If the nerfed unique drop rates mean Haemophilia's are 20c 1 week in than sucks to be you.

That's correct. Even at 'old' unique drop rates getting a Vuln-on-hit corrupted implicit Haemophilia was still very expensive.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

No Safe Word posted:

Lycosidae used to be the poo poo for Cospri's/CoC frostbolt/vortex stuff back in like Delve/Betrayal leagues. I don't recall it being really much relevant after that.

Yeah, since they added the "Hits can't be evaded" veiled mod/craft Lycosidae sees way less use. I think there were probably some other changes but there's just a better way to get the mod now.

Had to take most of the last week off from having company staying so I've missed a lot of the drama but have been following along from a distance. I just got my Spark man in to T16s this morning and things certainly feel worse but not, like, "threaten a game dev on the internet" levels of worse. I'm just a filthy alc-n-go player that Reddit seems to be having a field day making GBS threads on right now, though.

Of all the poo poo that's happened I hate the divine/exalt swap more than anything. And way more than I expected to. Got a raw exalt drop last night, good loot sound off the loot filter, was super stoked and then just crashed down to sadness. This isn't worth poo poo, and there's hardly any point to slamming it on something. Chris wants to go back to the glory days of beta where people would just close their eyes and slam but the affix pools have gotten so loving bloated your odds of hitting anything useful are practically zero. I'd rather have a 5 mod item than spend an exalt to add 5 life/sec or whatever the gently caress. Then this morning I hit a Hoarder card - used to be a dope drop, you sell it to someone who is playing the margins to collect-em-all and get an ex for a couple c cheaper and everyone's happy. What I'll really miss, though, is throwing divines at Timeless Jewels. Pick up my Doryani Glorious Vanity and it had poo poo mods and started to reach for my divine stack (of two!) to fix it before I realized those days are over.

The expedition league patch stuff felt bad at the time but it at least didn't gently caress with the core of the game (how loot drops). This time around it all feels so, so much worse to me. Maybe I'll get used to it over time and we'll look back on Kalandra League fondly in the future but I'm not sure... this one feels different.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

You guys I got a pretty good drop

I'm playing spark which I guess COULD use it but god drat, I don't even know what to think rn.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Zmej posted:

I remember crafting with fossils felt so incredible before harvest, especially using them to block mods. now with the state of harvest we've come full circle lol

I hope GGG sees how much people loved recombinators, and it seemed fairly reasonable and balanced since your item could brick at anytime. I think the people doing expensive shenanigans with oils and corrupted amulets scared ggg too much unfortunately
https://twitter.com/bexsayswords/status/1591204449292521472?t=C-bDW094M7bkyAevb_PjsQ&s=19
I trust u bex, I know you won't let me down :unsmith:

Isn't this the same poo poo they've done the last couple leagues? Say "we're working on cool stuff!" then when previews roll around only talk about the good stuff and fail to mention all the nerfs?

Maybe it's just the reddit cynicism getting to me but my faith in GGG is at an all time low.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

J posted:

Now's my turn to drop a hot take, torchlight infinite is the 2nd best ARPG right now. It copied skillgems+supports straight up, along with a bunch of other poe stuff. If they expand the endgame and fix some issues, GGG better put that game on their radar as a threat. It scratches the "go fast and blow up screens and collect loot without much brain" itch VERY well as it is. I think it's getting automatically discarded as "mobile port = trash" by a lot of people. But is a mobile UI all that bad if GGG quintuples down on archnemesis??? :grin:

This might be the first kind words I've seen sent in Torchlight Infinite's direction. Not that I've looked very hard but still.

Excited for tomorrow's AN massacre and the reddit rage it will inspire. Trying to keep my own expectations low.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Looks like I'm definitely going to play RF. Haven't played it before and it's been on my list for a while. Pohx does a great job of breaking the build down, plus the dude just seems delightful in his build vids.

Still not sure whether I'm going to go Jugg or Inquis. It seems like either is going to be fine. I kind of like using cluster jewels in general which might be the tie breaker that leans me towards Inquis, but Jugg seems less finicky overall which I def like in my starter.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Went RF and it's... ok. It's a very strong mapper and honestly a better bosser than anticipated as I move in to early red maps. But I'm just not having that much fun with it. I think having the Legacy of Fury boots would make mapping that little bit more exciting with the fiery pops but they are still at about 2div which is out of my range by a bit. I'm also finding it to be loving miserable in the Sanctum. Especially the rooms with the skull heads that shoot the fire beam, there's just basically zero time to stand next to a dude and burn him out. I'm 88 now, so I think I'll take it to 90 and then reroll to something ranged.

Looking at the poe.ninja stats I'm not seeing anything super inspiring. I guess that's the tragedy of three patches in a row without any real meta shakeup. The only thing that looks particularly exciting is the EK Ignite build. Having a 3-4 second ignite that I can pop on and then dodge for that duration sounds ok. But I'm not sure if it's bait? There sort of only seems to be one dude selling it as a Good Build and the top end poo poo is all Headhunter which is just not a thing I'll ever legitimately do. At a glance some of the required pieces are pretty pricey (Gloomfang only a bit cheaper than the RF boots) so I dunno. The stats on Vaal Caustic Arrow looked pretty good, but adoption rate of that on poe.ninja is incredibly low so maybe it's just too hard to scale still. I've played practically everything else on the list and am not inspired to redo any of them and I don't think I've got it in me to farm up enough currency to make some weird off-meta build happen. Don't really just want this league to be a miss but it might go that way, sadly.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Durendal posted:

When I’m looking at builds and it mentions AG I just close the page/pob instantly.

The only sane response.

I played a version of the Mjolner/Manabond Hierophant, but with The Squire mostly because it was cheap this league and I didn't have one on my account. It absolutely poo poo out a ridiculous amount of damage but I only ended up at like 11.5k mana. I also moved away from The Stampede to get some CDR, action speed and resistances on the boots but it was ultimately a pretty big QOL loss.

It's one of the most expensive builds I've ever made. Probably pushing around 100 divines all told, with a little more than half of that being The Squire + Righteous Providence flesh/flame. A good, fun build and a good choice for the Build of the Week.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Sanctum being good just confirms to me that the Archnemesis core transition was dogshit the whole time. Sentinel league was carried by the ridiculous loot explosions it generated (and the Atlas passive tree being good and fun) and I don't think Kalandra was all that much worse as a league than Sanctum if you take AN out of the equation.

I think I was less hot on the Sanctum mechanic than most. I just wanted... more. Which maybe isn't fair for a three month league mechanic, but it was pretty shallow after the first few runs. All the boons and afflictions just being generic percentage increases/decreases was so uninspired. Floor based roguelites like this should be all about creating whacky synergies where what's good one run might be terrible the next and it's up to you navigate the choices to create a successful run. Instead you're just buying every boon from the shop and never, ever taking Deceptive Mirror. 32 maps was too many for a full Sanctum and only being able to bank 8 at a time was annoying for mapping flow.

Like yall I hope that D4 is good but I can't really imagine that it will be. It would be good for us players to have another decent ARPG on the market to put some outside pressure on GGG. It feels like left to their own devices they are going to chase down Chris's Vision and I don't really want to play the game as he imagines it.

League good, game good. I'm not a challenge chaser so I think I ended up around 19 or 20, but I did have a ton of fun on Righteous Fire (my first 99 ever) and the Mjolner/Manabond Hiero was pretty different than anything I've played recently. Looking forward to Next League and really hoping for a full meta skill balance pass - we've been seeing a lot of the same poo poo for almost a year now, but thankfully there's still a few builds I'm interested in even if not (Hexblast was a fun newcomer this league, never played EAB and never played Flicker Strike which all seem fun).

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Yolomon Wayne posted:

what game are we talking about?

"see, you may be freeze immune, but these things do not freeze, you see, they slow you to 0% action speed - which is even better cause you cant flask that away lol"
"this is not burning ground which you are immune to, no, the, ahm, floor is on fire, and kills you in a second flat it does"
There was a joke on reddit that I saw that referred to it as blurning ground which I thought was loving hilarious. Had a very Simpson's-esque boo-urns quality to it.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

I think wardloop probably gets nuked? They gave it a nudge last patch but it feels pretty unintended. I guess it's the only way anyone interacts with ward, ever, though so maybe they leave it just for that.

Other than that your list looks like what I'd think would be in their sights. Also more melee nerfs lmao. How much can they nerf Boneshatter before Alkaizerx finally gives it up?

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Kchama posted:

It wasn't even that rewarding because of how long a full Sanctum run is compared to how much you got.

Yeah, you could get a div or two from Floor 3 and Floor 4 was very generous but floors 1 and 2 were garbage. Maybe a handful of chaos?

Actually, that was one of my biggest gripes about Sanctum. Shouldn't the best rewards "at the end of this Sanctum" be on the first floor? Because you have to make it through the whole loving thing? Getting offered 2x Divines on Floor 4 at end of sanctum is an equal challenge to at end of floor. It always bugged me a lot to be on like the third room of floor 1 and get, like 10 fusings at end of sanctum. That's another 30 rooms ffs!

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

goferchan posted:

I will not be playing these but I have to respect the gumption, those are some pretty wild events.

Yeah, it's certainly more inspired than another round of Endless Delve and Mayhem. They all feel kind of like streamer-bait with the focus on group play, but that's fine.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Captainicus posted:

If Poe2 beta is significantly slower than what we are playing now I'll eat my hat, they know what people want/are used to

Counterpoint: Their stubbornness regarding Archnemesis in the base game.

There is some faction within the company that has a Vision for the game that doesn't align with what the playerbase at large prefers out of an ARPG. I see it every time Chris talks fondly of Diablo2 with that wistful look in his eye. Ruthless is another example of it. For something they say doesn't get a lot of resources dedicated to it they talk about it enough to make me believe that there's a group that thinks this is the Right Way for PoE to develop.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

External Organs posted:

Ugh how embarrassing. I had a poe dream where the next league forced a more souls like third person camera view during the league mechanic. Reviews were mixed.

PoE is truly the Dark Souls of ARPGs

Insurrectionist posted:

I was thinking of doing a Manabond Hierophant build for next season - I've never played Hierophant, never played a mana-stacker or build that cares much about mana in general, and my last anything-stacker was a pretty poo poo Int-stacker back in Legacy league (I was fairly new to the game and made a poo poo version of a pretty poo poo build, WI unique-based with Perandus Signets lol).

1. This was cheap to get running in the past couple leagues but it was also build of the week a little while back, someone tell me every unique in the build won't be 3+ divs next patch

2. Is there a good guide for how to leaguestart it (and ideally build it with non mirror-cost set of gear, like what stats to aim for and poo poo)? There is one on the PoE forums but I have no idea if it's any good.

I'm not sure this is a good league starter. I think the BotW effect will have cooled off by next league (assuming they don't nerf some piece of it) that Mjolner will be cheap again, but there are just a lot of moving pieces that it takes to get it really humming. I did it as my second build so just sort of put everything in place at once after getting levelled up so I'm not positive, but it relies on enough different pieces that I'm pretty sure it would feel like poo poo without them. Stat stacking trees are pretty garbage if you're not really stacking that stat to high heaven, the cluster jewels are pretty important (though not terribly difficult to roll/expensive), and it also leans pretty heavily on awakened/alt quality gems (specifically awakened Cast While Channeling for stun immunity).

You could probably do it, but I think it would not be very fun for starters. I think you'd probably be better served at league start by going something like Spark Inquisitor and respeccing, or just doing something else entirely to farm up the ~20div that it would take to make the transition smooth.

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCEwo0mrAQg
This was the build that I mostly followed, although I went Squire because I thought it would be fun. It's got some notes on leveling trees and gems, but I think that's mostly for "before you transition to the full build" rather than any sort of league start recommendations.

MerrMan fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 10, 2023

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

dyzzy posted:

Speaking of spark, any recommendations for people to follow with good league start guides?

Goratha on youtube has some good spark resources as well.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

I usually play two per league. I'd probably play more if I didn't have to slog through the loving campaign every. Single. Time. Even with Seven-League Step and Hollow Palm (if it's worth it) I still find it completely miserable.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Benson Cunningham posted:

Beat the beta with a sorc. Very beautiful game, but really unimpressed by the gameplay. I don't think this is going to take players away from poe.

Just crashed out after playing for about an hour. This feels pretty firmly directed at the Lost Ark crowd. Doesn't feel like there's a lot here for the average PoE player - although I guess the first hour of PoE doesn't feel like there's much for the average PoE player :roflolmao:. The early game of an ARPG kind of has to be poo poo to make the power fantasy feel better, I guess?

Played some Last Epoch this week, too, and both it and D4 just feel so sparse. The monster density is just so low. I'm not sure if it is a deliberate choice or an engine constraint or what, but it feels like doing white maps on a bad tileset.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

I was so hype to scroll down to the Skill Balance section thinking surely, surely!, this was the league that they would do a big balance pass on underused skill gems. Imagine my loving surprise when it would fit on a post-it note and it's all nerfs.

Reservation nerfs in masteries are absolutely brutal. :lol: and :lmao: to the loving Arcane Surge changes, holy poo poo.

Not sure what to play. I backed in to a Corrupting Blood build a few leagues ago that ended up being fun. How's that as a starter? And no heatshiver nerfs means that the cold stuff should still be pretty good. Oof - you know that feeling when you only realize your hopes were up when you finally get let down? I'm feeling that rn.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Reiterpallasch posted:

can someone treat me like the idiot baby i am and explain why everyone's calling this a nerf league? specific masteries got hit hard but it seems like any build which uses a weapon (haha get hosed pconc) can also reasonably hope to gain a shitload of power above the POB through the league mechanic. the defensive auras got their reservation masteries exploded but going from 2 defensive auras to one defensive and one offensive aura seems like kind of a wash for sc trade players.

I think part of it is just that we have the nerfs here in black and white while a lot of the new fun toys are locked away behind the Crucible skill trees that we don't know a ton about. It's also another layer of RNG on top of RNG which the community typically hates.

That said, even during "Nerf Leagues" we still see the community put out wildly powerful builds that crush the gently caress out of the game. I do think that the ability to do this on lower budgets (say, 10 divine) is getting a lot harder, but once you get over the 20-30 divine threshold a ton of poo poo can smash all the content in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I'm looking to try one of those cast on crit (or some other trigger?) cyclone builds this time around. Does anyone have any good ones to suggest? If I just go and pick one from one of the build sites I always seem to choose wrong cause I suck at this game.

Keep in mind that the sabo ascendancy rework is probably going to upend the trigger-based build meta. They get a lot of new toys that look very cool - we'll need to see what the better builders come up with to see if it beats the old stuff or not, though.

Cyclone cast on crit comes in mainly two flavors: cold with Ice Spear and chaos with Forbidden Rite. The Ice Spear version is generally considered more glass cannon-y while the Forbidden Rite one is built a lot tankier while still making GBS threads out a ton of damage. Most of them go Occultist because the class just has so much power, but it looks like Inquisitor is an option as well.

I played FR CoC two (three?) leagues ago and at the time it was the best build I ever made. Since then it's been nerfed from a couple different directions - specifically the Aegis Aurora / Melding of Flesh interaction - but looking at poe.ninja the build seems to have survived just fine. It was really fun and powerful for sure.

I absolutely do not recommend using either of these builds as a league start build. Either one needs a bunch of very specific unique items to even function, and both of them get a ton of power from cluster jewels which will be expensive early. CoC builds in general have to balance a lot of different stats both offensively and defensively to really come together and it just isn't really possible to do on a budget. For reference I think I spent about 30 divine on my Forbidden Rite character before I even created it and even still it took a while for it to really come together.

Again, it's possible that the options in Sabo are going to shake this up and make playing CoC on less currency more viable but right now I really, really recommend against going for it as a first build.

Edit: For me I'm just going to do a real boring EA Ballista Elementalist. I haven't played it and my buddy played it last league and gave it a glowing recommendation. Looks like it lost a couple good fire masteries (the 20 fire dot multi hurts) but I have to assume it's going to gain even more. Plus the bow is cheap-ish to roll and porcupine cards drop in price real fast so it might be a good candidate to be able to gently caress around with the crucible trees.

MerrMan fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 3, 2023