Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Felt the itch for Eastern Sun and got this instead. I think I've played one too many D2 ladders since the only thing I've been doing is stacking life and elemental resistances in preparation for the inevitable Nightmare and Hell modifiers. Should you have 50%+ resists by the end of Act 1? Haven't found anything for chaos resist yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Zenithe posted:

Life, resists and some damage and you will go far. You do not need any rsistances to complete act 1, it's more important from act 6 and onwards but some cold resistance helps with the last boss of act 1.

Chaos res is hard to find, and not as important. Usually not worth capping unless you are paranoid or hardcore, or both.

I had 61% cold resist going into that fight, so it worked out :toot:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Hamelekim posted:

Farming rituals for uniques in the first area in Act 2 is a thing if you are under level 24.

Is this because of the beastiary quest? Did quickly notice that a lot more rare mobs were showing up in order to help along with the objective.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

One of the ritual sites gave me a pair of unique slippers with the caveat that it only boosts your item rarity find by 100% if you're at low life.

I guess this means I'm going all-in on energy shielding, huh?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Dutifully deferring all currency over gear through entire acts because I don't have the hang of the economy yet. I've got more Chaos Orbs and Orbs of Fusing that I otherwise would have at this point.

Are there any use for Vaal Orbs or are the consequences too risky unless you've got a large stack and a lot of normals to burn through?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Dias posted:

or any Tabula Rasas

or any top-tier uniques do it coward

No thanks. I'd rather figure out how to sell the uniques, including this Tabula Rasa.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Speeding through character #2, and while I am really liking Bleed Bow, I feel like I'm going to have to knock off one of the damage support gems for Pierce Support since it is just too drat awkward to fight some monsters with Puncture only hitting one mob at a time.

Feels great, though! I managed to roll this up to help carry me through (ilvl 24, so it's stuck at three slots) and it's been doing pretty good. If anyone's wondering, it took one of each currency to turn a normal bow into this.

Victory Position fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 27, 2021

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I haven't even been able to tell whether or not you can trade for points using the hard currency provided by the game. If not, it's a step down from Warframe, where you can do precisely that with the hard currency provided there.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

MMF Freeway posted:

You can't. I like Warframe but their monetization model is pretty much the opposite of what people like about PoE's.

Yeah, I was going to see if I could eke out something so I could buy a stash tab and the like, but that's not the case :shrug:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Starting to breeze through maps thanks to a Lioneye's Glare I picked up to beef up physical damage; is there a comprehensive list that shows what each crafting option does? I'm starting to run into strange things like the Sacred Grove and the weird tower defense side attraction and it'd be nice if there's something that lays out what unique things you can get from each place.

(I also solved the Puncture piercing problem by running into a quiver that grants piercing to your shots automatically :toot: )

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

whypick1 posted:

And as mentioned above, get rid of global Pierce ASAP. Pierce in your clear skill setup good, Pierce everywhere bad.

It's gone, but now arises a new problem: somehow all of my gear breaks when I take off a single ring and it somehow causes all of my stats to plummet, rather than the intelligence.

This is the endgame, isn't it? The balancing act of getting all the stats you want without everything going kerplunk in the process? It's fun as all hell, also :gonk:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

Harvest crafting is really great, makes it fun to gradually build your uber rares, but holy poo poo is trading for it awful

I'm on the way to making a replacement for Lioneye's Glare thanks to it and the ability to roll up lesser-common socket colors and force on physical modifiers :)

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Going to give Spark Inquisitor a try since there is no way in hell I can afford any of the gear necessary to push my Bleed Bow Deadeye anywhere near what people talk about in terms of DPS.

Is Storm Brand even cheaper to build than Spark?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Reiterpallasch posted:

I am not a Deadeye expert but that build does not look like something I would recommend a newer player start out a league with. Bad, or at least misadvertised, forums guides are a horrible blight on the new player experience.

Having started over from a Bleed Deadeye to an Arc Elementalist, I am having a much better go of things.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Sarcastro posted:

I'm growing increasingly certain that I am NEVER going to see a Volatile Ritual. (edit: or, I suppose, that the challenge is bugged)

I've seen an opulent shrine while in low-tier mapping. I get the feeling that we'll be able to influence what rituals spawn with whatever's coming down the pipe via map augments or additives.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Vorenus posted:

I'm running Enki's Arc witch, looking to upgrade my gear. Part of the build is Wave of Conviction liked to hexblast and conductivity, which will eventually be automated with a weapon that has the "trigger socketed spell" modifier.

Here's my question: I found a ring that has all the modifiers I'm looking for, but also has "Curse Enemies with Conductivity on hit, with 20% increased effect". Is there any reason not to run this over the current gem setup?

I'm also running this build and I'm having a hard time increasing my mana regen and damage. My chaos resist is looking pretty decent, just a few more pieces in the right places and it'll be at about 50%. Where else do I have to build to make these up? I started using double damage while focused, which is pretty great as a nuke, but I'm also not sure if that's the best way to go about increasing DPS.

Ordeith posted:

One member here gave me an 'enduring eternal mana flask of warding' which was probably my biggest survivability boost since getting the 6L cloak of defiance. I'm new to the game and it has taken me so long to get comfortable 'spamming flasks on a timer' - I spent thousands of hours in D3 timing only one pot, really, so am not used to it.

I have a Doedra's Elixir and I spam the hell out of it for max charges :shepface:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Ordeith posted:

Funnily enough, damage has never been an issue for me with this build. It feels good when it comes to map clearing, except if I happen to be cursed/out of position and I zap a whole pack of porcupines on top of me in a ritual (lol), or some metamorph pukes up goo that explodes all over the screen and I get randomly one shotted that way.

This has happened a lot less with the upgrades I mentioned above. Post your build here and let's have a look.your setup.

https://pastebin.com/NPUUvwJ7

It says here my DPS is somewhere around 700k, which is still not doing enough on Conquerors.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Ordeith posted:

On the passives - did you go for that cluster jewel for the resistances? You are missing the mana nodes (and socket) to the right of Shaper. Also the basic jewel socket to the left of Mystic Bulwark. Also the jewel socket just below the int node near mind over matter.

The latter two sockets should have tempered mind and pure talent. Check Enki's PoB to understand where to put them. You can do some major upgrades to your build for pretty cheap and then you'll feel a drastic difference to your damage. Mana is king - Enki picks the nodes he does for good reason.

I'm by no means an Arc witch expert, but hope this helps.

I went to Prismatic Heart because it has +elemental damage. A lot of other choices were informed by picking raw percentage boosts to damage, but they've been less than dramatic. I'm guessing that increasing my maximum mana increases the amount my Arc will cast with Archmage?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I was blown away by the Atlas having a passive tree

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I'm almost there, just need to link it up... :eng99:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Vasudus posted:

Do maps in Valdo to set up your board, then do maps in Haewark to get Harvests and Safehouses. Sometimes run Mastermind.

How fast can you plough through Betrayal in this way? The rewards look incredible in places, but it's just so slow.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

cyrn posted:

Max overlap is completely unrealistic. 5 is easy, 6 if you try for it. You need 5 AoE radius per overlap and AoE radius scales with the square root of total 'increased AoE.' so each additional overlap is much, much harder to get. I would much rather get 5 overlaps with Carcass Jack and Chaos Damage large clusters and have flexibility in gearing than go for Bow Damage with Broadside and increased AoE on several gear slots trying to hit one more overlap.

I started this league SSF Toxic Rain with the new Deadeye before changing to Pathfinder to learn boss fights. Trickster, Deadeye, and Pathfinder all seem reasonable choices for the skill. Raider seems like it would be rough with no damage in the ascendancy, I would probably start TR Deadeye and then respec to an elemental damage skill once I could get the gear if I wanted to play Raider. I think I would rather play the meme-ish occultist TR+Profane Bloom build than Raider.

Probably my favorite part of Toxic Rain is that because the damage is coming from the ground degen effect, you do not care about any of the most annoying game mechanics. Reflect, proximity shields, allies cannot die, etc. I Alch-Vaal every Atoll and don't even bother looking at the mods unless Sirus invades.

+ Carcass Jack and Quill Rain are very available and highly effective items that will carry you to red maps. It's not quite as good as something super-meta like blade blast or a melee slam build but still very smooth.
+ Crafting a solid bow is really easy even in SSF (deterministic normal exalt slam you can close your eyes and be 100% sure of what you're hitting).
+ Huge amount of socket flexibility
+/- You can frontload a ton of damage on most bosses by stacking your ground effects during RP, but mobile bosses like Sirus can move out of your damage.
- Good Chaos dot nodes are limited so there is a wall early in red maps where you need to pick up one or two of: cluster jewels/thread of hope/hunter influenced items/bow upgrade to keep going.
- Like all dot-builds, until you get enough damage things do not die before they can cast/hit you.
+Remi's Toxic Rain Pathfinder guide on PoE forums is quite good.
+Mostly unaffected by harvest nerfs (+2 amulet will be the the big one).
+Really viable for SSF or low-trading playstyles (you don't needs Sirus items before you can kill Sirus, for example).

It's not a very good explode-chest build, but eventually you have enough projectiles/attack speed/damage you just attack periodically to trigger mirage archer and run through the map and everything you see dies. Gloom shrines make cool pops but they don't actually improve my clear by much.

Deadeye's new Mirage Archer thing is pretty cool but hard to quantify. You always have tailwind and get extra projectiles for free so it's amazing clear without much gear, and having 3 mirage archers dropped in the middle of rituals worked really well this league.
Pathfinder makes you flasks, but you have essentially permanent fortify+ailment immunity and it scales very well because there are so many little flask-related bonuses than add up.
Trickster gets free stun immunity + very good damage scaling in ascendancy, but you don't have the respec flexibility the Rangers have (you can swap to builds like ed/contagion, poison bv, poison bladefall/bladeblast though).

This seems quite workable and a lot easier to get going than a bleed bow. I definitely think this is something I'm going to try in the next league.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I have to say, for this being my first league, I'm quite happy that I was able to slog through about half of the Sirus fight and see Atziri. Definitely going to try that Toxic Rain build the next time through and see how I can improve on a first character start. This game's a lot of fun!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

If you gave the Ritual rewards screen to Perandus instead of his one crappy unique he always has it would make getting him a little more exciting, and deferring things would actually make people want to run Perandus mods/scarabs in order to buy it.

I still find it really amusing that the one feature in a game where it's supposed to be like an actual shop with coins is one of the worst.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

MMF Freeway posted:

lol spears and crossbows right off the bat

I'm hooting and hollering as those are my weapons right there!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Zmej posted:

Or just get more life nodes on elementalist and some endurance charge generation.

My Arc Elementalist wasn't the best during Ritual, but I got a lot of use out of those endurance charges thanks to Doedre's Elixir. The idea of using that to prep yourself with charges into and through a fight might drive the flask-shy up a wall, but having all three charges at your beck and call is something else. I really want to figure out how to use this item far better in this upcoming league.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I can't help it, my league starter has to be Divine Ire. I've got to charge and shoot beams. :hellyeah:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Zotix posted:

Thoughts on PoE Overlay? Grim swears by it, but it means that Overwolf needs to be installed.

I have Overwolf, but I've never used it. What does PoE Overlay do?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Xachariah posted:

Mathil cancelled queue and logged in again to instantly get in from around 1k queue position. Then hundreds of his viewers tried it and got their queue position reset, it was hilarious.

I'd like to know how you convincingly set up a trap like that to begin with. Do you get certain privileges as a streamer that let you skip the line?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Act 6 exalt drop off the Ultimatum mobs. I'm not really sure what to do other than melt it down into chaos orbs~ :hellyeah:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

EVIL Gibson posted:

flicker strike is good until you experience the bad and how bad that bad can get.

then you become like Von Braun and everyone else.

I want to know more about Molten Strike.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

DisgracelandUSA posted:

flame dash is the enemy and so are closed, indoor maps. Wide open expanses forever. Working towards A6 sirus later today :sun:

The concept of Smoke Mines appeal to me. The execution, however...

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Having played through a couple of inscribed ultimatums at T10 maps, I've got to say that while I've gotten both exalts of the league so far from them, I don't particularly like their survival missions, as I can never particularly tell why it is that I lost the ultimatum. Was it because Ruin stacked on me too many times? Did the altar crumble? (This was fixed in a patch, thankfully, so I can see the health bar now.) Is there something else that I'm missing to the ultimatum mechanic in general?

It doesn't communicate loss very well, much like the lack of a death recap, but it's more bizarre in that there's nothing really showing you on-screen otherwise that you're about to lose.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Oof, flask rework? I really hope they didn't mess around too much with Quicksilver Flasks and Rumi's Concoction.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I still like that, in their reveal for this update, they go, "We need to return some of the challenge to the game as it is fondly remembered for. Now, Hillock, Kuduku, and Brutus will kill your character in one hit,"

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

McFrugal posted:

Chris explicitly stated it'll be as easy as getting your flasks to 20q.

That's surprisingly optimistic. I wonder what it'll be tethered to, or if it will be introduced to the universal drop pool?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Was this season a wash? After reading about all of the nerfs to, well, basically any skill I was interested in at the time and have used up to this point, I've been out of it, wondering if the introduction of Ward is helping with one-shots or if Ancestral Call is extremely good to pair with said ward.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Torchlight 2: This game was alot more fun that I initially saw in it. Played the whole game through as a berserker on elite and it was tough and super hard. Then I played it to act 3 as an embermage and it was extremely easy. Melee just get owned this game. And I'm surprised how they also owned ranged playstyles by having such a short view distance were all the bad guys just turn immune to your dmg. The story in this game wasn't too bad for an arpg, it was pretty much a retelling of diablo 2 much like torchlight 1 was retelling diablo 1. Respec mods saved the game for me.

This is a game where I have to go back and look for a guide to modding because it has quite a bit of Steam Workshop content backing it up.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

frajaq posted:

Heist is one of the best mechanics they ever put in the game (even though it doesn't "fit" well with typical ARPG adventure and it doesnt make much sense with certain playable characters).

I really like it, the items you can get from it are wild, but I still can't for the life of me figure out how to do it. I figure it would be something nice to get into if a league mechanic is bad to just ignore the base game, sort of like Delve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Ultimatum will come back whenever they figure out a way to work the Ultimatum guy into the story.