Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
First time with the game. Last night I unlocked the labyrinth, but it was getting late.

"Well, I'll just run this real quick, figure out what that Ascendancy thing is".

Man, that was a mistake. I got lost a few times, didn't realize it'd be like 4-5 zones to crawl through. But hey, now I'm an ascendant!

Also was thinking of trying to craft a few items to fill some weak spots and try to get some sockets / links I needed, but instead dipped my toes in trading from poe.com/trade. Got a new weapon and a new chest for just 1 alch each, seemed pretty cheap, and I was immediately melting things way easier.

The currency overload is real though, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

whypick1 posted:

I'm amazed you were even able to complete 1 alch trades at this point.

Why's that? Just because the league is so near the end?

whypick1 posted:

For future labs, reference this.

Oh awesome! I need to google what a few of those terms are, but that looks super helpful.

At the end were a billion chests, I had gotten 2 keys so I opened, surprise, 2 of them. I'm sure there was a key or two I missed - but can you actually get enough keys to open all those chests? Or does it cap out at like 4-5 or something?

whypick1 posted:

You probably need an item filter so you stop picking up less crap. Sure, having a few Transmutes in your stash isn't a bad thing, but you don't need 200 of them. Filterblade is a good place to go for pre-made ones and allows you to customize them rather extensively.

Yep, got an item filter on like...day two, after reading a general "getting started" guide. Even then I still leave a lot of it behind.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
New player here, currently 51 or so. I have a lot of thoughts on the game, but all that aside:

I saw stash tables are on sale. How long do their sales usually last? Seems like the currency tab is a must. I suspect the map tab will be useful, but I'm not to maps yet.

I know a premium tab is needed if I want to sell / trade, but I don't know how much selling I'll be doing, given that the whole "have to be online, then drop what you're doing to make the sell" sounds un-fun to me. Not to mention all the research to get a price...although I heard there's a good AHK script that'll pull "related" prices from the trade site into a hover for you, but haven't dug into that yet.

If the sale runs a week or whatever, I'll be to maps this weekend I'd expect, so I can have a better opinion on if I should pick it up or not. Or one of the other "special" tabs might be really useful too? Didn't feel like I get a bunch of random delve or essences to matter, and I'm not to fragments yet really either. I'm getting some cards, but not a ton of clutter with those either right now.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Ah sorry, thanks!

whypick1 posted:

The pricing tool to use is PoE Overlay (now that it's no longer destroying the trade API),

Definitely going to be checking out PoE overlay this evening. That looks awesome. Also feels like it'll make trading / selling immensely more tolerable.

I'll def pick up the currency tab, probably 1 premium to sell in (since there's addons to help), and will probably hold off for next sale to get a map tab if I'm still super into it.

I actually played this game back in 2011, during beta. I played like 30 minutes and hated it.

I fired up a summoner a couple of weeks ago and was finding it pretty boring. Switched to a build with the goal of Cyclone, but it starts off with Earthquake and Leap Slam right now, and I'm finding it real fun. Might stick with it a bit longer before switching to Cyclone permanently, until the dps isn't keeping up or whatever.

I have complaints about the game, but jumping around smashing poo poo is super fun ultimately.

It still kind of amazes me that this was some low-key indie studio, that's now huge, that they've kept constant updates to the game for all these years, and PoE 2 is going right into the same game. Amazing stuff. Compared to Blizz who give their ARPGs 3-4 content updates then ditch them.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Regarding "selling yellows" talk from the other day - so what SHOULD you be looting / selling?

I went ahead and dipped into trading with some public stashes. Sold random junk at 1c here and there to get enough to buy a starter set of gear. I'm using the Neversink's "semistrict" loot filter, but sometimes it highlights things and I'm not sure if it's wanting me to vendor it (like the 1r-1b-1g, I know that recipe), or sell it because it's useful (like some normal items with 6 gems, not sure the best plan - vendor or trade?).

I pick up uniques obviously, but so far they've all been junk too. I throw them up for 1c (according to POE Overlay), but most of them don't sell even then. Should I just vendor poo poo that doesn't sell in a day or two?

Slight story time: the gear in this game is so linked to one another (gem slots, needed stats, needed resists), that while leveling at least it's hard to upgrade anything. So I did like all of Act 6-10 with the same gear...by the end there I was definitely zerging a few bosses, but I didn't want to put effort into building a set of gear until I got to mapping. I found a useful video on building a set for 20c, so I was able to follow that general path and I'm rocking yellows now. It was nice to build a new set and it'll be a lot easier to upgrade individual pieces now that each piece is like "this is where resistances go" or "this is where I'm getting a lot of my stats to meet reqs".

It might not be worth it for most to sell junk yellows, but I'm glad some did heh. Definitely helps starting out.

Edit: All this to say, right now I only know how to upgrade gear from buying it. If I'm not selling yellows, how do you progress? Just keep looting crafting items, and gamble your way to the items you want?

Ideally it'd be "loot upgrades" but this game has skewed so far on the "quantity over quality" that I don't think it applies, esp at endgame...

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 24, 2020

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Thanks all - did some more end-game crap with all that in mind, and it was a *lot* more fun, a lot less inventory tetris, and I don't feel like I'm leaving money behind. I don't know what all of those things are (scarabs? oils?) but I'll google them later, probably once I see them heh. Haven't seen some of those at all yet.

Speaking of fun - does this game have enough goddamn endgame and "random" stuff to do?

Mapping: I understand the basics of this well enough. I don't see how you can get far without the map stash tab though, jesus. Regarding the bonus objectives though - does it matter what tier you do it on? Do you have to re-do them for higher tiers? Does completion care about tier / rarity, or just filling it out in general? Or both?

Mapping pt2: I thought I was done with the constant stream of "new things to clog the bank", but now I'm getting vessels, fragments, etc that apparently beef up the maps in various ways. Apparently that poo poo doesn't go in the map stash tab either? Dammit. I haven't bought it yet, but I'm going to later tonight. I was hoping all the map-related bullshit would go in there.

Temple: This is, so far, my favorite thing. I really like unlocking the pieces and "customizing" your temple. My first one was pretty borked - I knew what to do, just didn't have the dps for it (while leveling). Didn't even unlock the boss. My second one I at least got some good rooms to t2/3, and got to the boss. Full temple takes a bit to clear though.

Delving: This is alright. Apparently some of the fossils sell for crazy money (or did?), but I'm not super far nor good enough at it yet. I like the main part, but going into the side areas and dropping torches, which is apparently where the good poo poo is, makes me nervous and stresses me out. I'll probably keep doing Niko's dailies for a bit, then target Azurite nodes, until I can get a lot more light / torches / darkness resist to make this less stressful.

Beastcrafting: Capturing and the NPC himself are fun, but I haven't gotten into crafting enough to really make use of it yet. I did the tutorial and haven't really bothered with it since. I figure once I need notably better gear again I'll pay more attention to it.

Prophecies: I've mostly ignored these? That loving NPC always puts an exclamation point on my map, I assume because I have unspent coins. I dunno, seems fine I guess, just not super interesting for me yet. If I'm running a map that correlates to one of the orbs I'll use it and what-not. So I'm not completely ignoring it, but not really focusing on them much either.

Labs: That labs website is great. I'm not in love with this one, but I don't hate it. The "one death get wrecked" thing stresses me out though, as I don't know all the boss abilities yet (I know you can see them before the room, and you can find the thingies to disable some of them), so the boss fight can still splat me. Not that I've unlocked the final lab yet (only 1 mapping trial done - they kind of rare? there a certain map(s) I should focus until i get my last ascendency?). Apparently that enchant is the main reason to run it, and since I'm not crafting my own gear right now, not a big loss not running this daily.

Syndicate: I do not like this one. I get the "get unveiled items, get points to crafting mods you can then use yourself", and that part is fine, but what in the gently caress is that card game thing? All the other bajillion random mechanics in the game I was able to figure out well enough myself, and they explain it well and walk you through it - including the stuff like Delirium portals, the Abyssal thing, whatever-you-call-that-thing-where-you-build-a-monster-and-fight-it, that time monolith thing, and so on. But they toss you into that card game and it's like "go gently caress yourself". I usually just pick the right-hand option to make it go away, sometimes it spits out items that I can unveil which is nice. This feels vastly over-designed for an ARPG.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

dyzzy posted:

pathofexile.txt

lol, accurate. The game is fun, but the level of excess is ridiculous. It's an interesting way to build an ARPG for sure...seems most (all?) leagues, which are short, add new mechanics, many of which get rolled into the base game.

whypick1 posted:

Completion: Just kill the boss
Atlas bonus: The atlas will tell you what tier/rarity you need to do it on. Not that it means much to you, but here's how it goes: introduced as a white - magic; introduced as a yellow - rare; introduced as a red - rare and corrupted; unique - just finish the map, tier doesn't matter.
Frags: Almost all. Oils and the Delirium stuff don't have special tabs.
Trials: They're random. You can buy a prophecy that will add a trial to your next map though. You can also try global chat channel 820, but at this point in the league I doubt people are pointing out trials.
Syndicate: Cheat sheet. For the most part, you want to build up rivalries and alliances so that you encounter people more often, so you have more opportunities to rank them up to get better rewards at the Safehouse encounter.

Thanks for the info! I can't understand the syndicate cheat sheet yet, but I'll keep searching for info. Need to find a good video for the card game part. Just not grok'ing it for whatever reason. Gonna add the site to my growing list of "super useful POE sites". The community really goes all out on this game.

Fister Roboto posted:

If you've completed any of these objectives for a map, you never have to redo them.

Easy peasy then, thanks.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Thanks! I'm already to the point where I only pick up any rares if it's a "well I'm done with this map and I have space", but it's pretty low ROI even at that heh.

Good to hear that most uniques are garbo too, I had a feeling.

I can at least understand how SSF works, but just quest rewards? You're a masochist, hah. Congratulations?

Gross.

quote:

pathofexile.txt

Wait, this game has loving tower defense too? Of course it does, I guess. Jaaaaaysus.

Related: now I have some oils, and that's *yet another* way to craft shift. I'm getting all kinds of bullshit fragments and too (timeless splinters, catalysts, breachstone splinters, not to mention 8000 essences, remants of corruption...just on and on of bullshit that stacks).

All the options are kind of impressive, but drat. Cut a few systems people, lol. I know you want to sell stash tabs, but c'mon.

Edit: okay just got a bunch of eggs that don't stack and do more poo poo. Please, please stop giving me new things.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 25, 2020

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Mapping continues to be fun. I've turned my loot filter to "strict", so now I feel like I'm nearing becoming a real boy. Had a couple of jewels sell for a lot (for a newbie like me at least - one for 40c, another for 104c), so feeling good.

Regarding mapping: any simple, basic tips to keep in mind? Here's a few things I've been doing, I think these are good?

- Map priority: highest tier unexplored > explored but missed bonus early on > connects to an unexplored map
- Upgrade my map to magic before running it (gets bonus done - I suspect later tiers I'll want to rare them all to hit the bonus or something)
- Upgrade strongboxes to magic
- Metamorph dude, pick currency options if they show up, don't make him too beefy
- Run all my master quests as they become available
- Check Zana's inventory for maps I don't have (although they're starting to cost 4x orb of chance and up, which is still quite a bit for me, probably cheaper to buy them off trade or something if I run out of new maps and get desperate)
- Get Deliruim portals to at least where they give 2 separate rewards (the 3x 1x rank or whatever)
- Time Monoliths, beeline to the dudes with icons over their head

Am I being a dumb on any of that? Other obvious "early mapping" tips? I'm only at 32/154.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Thanks for the extra mapping tips!

What's the best way to get an item from magic to rare? I barely have any regal orbs. I don't have a lot of scouring either, but is that the preferred - scour then alch? Or is there a better way?

Also, I didn't mention it above, but it's kind of ARPG 101 so figured it held true for PoE as well - but I absolutely should NOT bother with all the click-to-open things (chests, etc), yeah?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Few more newbie mapper questions. I'm just into like t3-t5 stuff, level 84. Starting on watchstones. Christ, I'm already at 60 hours played on this game, lol. Smashing stuff is fun. Gonna have to look into what gear I can upgrade though, up the quality on a few pieces of gear, already working on quality gems, probably need to rework my flasks to be better "oh poo poo" and damage prevention buttons, else I'm never going to make it out of level 84.

Anywhos, more newbie mapper questions:

I've been rare'ing my maps. Earlier someone said wait until late tiers (like 14+) and start cartographing them first.

When should I start using the Vaal fragments (except the rare one apparently, should sell it or save it for a full frag run)?

When should I start using those goddamn beetles that are starting to clutter things?

Are there other bullshit drops that I should be using on my maps, and if so, around when is a good point to not "waste" them?

The Metamorph fight seems worth doing, as it's not a long event. Is the Blight one though? I don't really like it yet, probably because it doesn't give you time in-game to read what the buttons do so you just click poo poo. I'd probably like it fine if I watched a video / read the wiki though. But still, it's a longer event, didn't know if it's better to skip it.

I swear, I think I'm starting to get a handle on the game, and it's like NEWP HERE'S YET SOME NEW TYPE OF DROP THAT YOU'RE NOT USING CORRECTLY YOU IDIOT".

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Tenkaris posted:

(Nude. Tane.)

My god, thank you. I thought it was just me. Every time he pops up in a map, I'm expecting him to say "I'm your latest dancer. I can't wait to enterTAYNE you."

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Act 1-10, crusaders, Sirius, Lab, temple, 4 Vaal frags fight... After that, is there any notable unique content?

Obviously you keep doing that stuff over and over, just wondering if there were any other "zones" or notable boss fights a new player would make sure they want to see at least once. Not taking about every random encounter or unique mob or random Vaal chamber or whatever.

Like there's the mine too, but afaik that's just endless with nothing really notable as far as "should see at least once".

Mapping continues to go good - bought a cheap 8c disfavor but it had good dmg rolls, fixed the sockets on it, (just a 4l with an extra socket for now), and I've basically stopped dying on rare t5-6 maps. About to start socketing watchstones using a "quadrant" technique because a dude on YT said to and it gives some focus, continue the map quest.

My goal is to get mapping mostly done-ish (be into red maps, high map completion and high awakener level) and be able to handle Sirus before the next league starts. Seems super doable, even for a slow newbie.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Arrhythmia posted:

a jillion things

Okay maybe I won't get it all done in this league after all.

Most modern leagues are about three months, when I started this game it was only like 2 months old and people were already referring to it as "over". Do people wrap up their game that quickly these days?

I get that people who know their poo poo are like...mapping in day 1/2, but I think I still must be really underestimating how quickly people can progress. And / or people calling a league "dead / done" are overstating it when it's just 2 out of 3 months in.

Meanwhile my first toon took like 30 hours to get through Act 10 (not twinked, definitely a lot of time logged in while reading forums / watching videos learning about the game, did all the sidequests, etc - didn't full clear zones or anything though, plus a few hours lost on my first character that I abandoned as I found it boring).

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

whypick1 posted:

Most of us are done around 4-6 weeks in. Granted, we tend to play HARD in the beginning, which means getting the burnout point that much faster. Around the 2 month point is when you definitely notice the drop in playerbase, hence the "dead" connotation.

Also, 30 hours is way too long for a fresh league character to finish the story. 10 is a much better goal to aim for.

edit: If you think 10 hours is a crazy number to hit then by all means don't watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj1JUrdHXTU

4-6 weeks for seasoned players sounds fairly reasonable, was just surprised at how steep the dropoff was.

However, people finishing through to Act 10 in 2 hours doesn't surprise me at all. I watch a lot of speedruns of various games, heh.

10 hours to max level for someone who has played the game before doesn't sound crazy either. My next character I'll totally be moving faster and relying on the wiki or a guide or something to just make sure I don't miss any passives (or I'll circle back for them later, etc). Won't be taking my time like I was the first time.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Note that you have to enable it in the options at character select. Once your character is loaded, you can't change it.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Upgrading gear is such a goddamn puzzle, heh. Since you gotta hit minimums (stats to equip gear / gems, resist cap), if I try to replace one piece, I have to rejuggle several pieces.

I know that's pretty typical in an ARPG, but boy does it still stress me out.

Especially now that I'm trying to upgrade gear into some uniques (a kind goon gave some cash as he was done with the league!), which generally don't have resists or +base stats. It's like you have to buy the whole set at a time.

At least until you land on "okay these slots are perm rare, these are perm uniques", then you can craft / gamble / buy straight upgrades I guess.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 28, 2020

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'm just now dipping my toes into yellow maps, and I had the misfortune of rolling a temporal chains map, but didn't realize it.

I wasn't at risk of dying, but that was a unfun slog. I didn't want to just ditch the map because I still needed it for completion. Guess I'll have to start watching mods now.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Did you know it's 100% impossible to remember to turn your aura(s) right back on after dying?

The earliest possible time you could remember is the next fight where you're getting your rear end handed to you, then you realize why.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
When do you all consider yourself "done" for a league?

Stuff is getting challenging, and trade website is drying up for upgrades. Not throwing in the towel yet - still just having fun doing stuff, but the main quest (Elderslayers with 4 watchstones) is getting tough for me.

I did take the time to learn Path of Building, that helped me make some changes to get past Baran with 3 stones, with "only" 3 deaths (Vaal Pact character, and no minions on that fight to refresh flasks).

I think I'll do some challenges (try to get the 24 mtx reward) and continue farming for fun a bit, but it's not like I'll get enough currency to push my character's gear on my own.

I'm looking forward to hitting the ground running next league with everyone. Goon guild pretty active for boss runs and stuff the first month?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
36-40 challenges in 4-6 weeks? Just... How? Lol. I get experience with the game makes people a lot faster, but still, drat.

Does it involve a lot trading for specific maps, drops related to challenges (like, say metamorph parts and such), and so on?

Even just working on the main quest to get to Sirus is taking me a while. Just focusing on making the conqs spawn, the map still can have a crap ton to do in it - first there's the delirium fog, then maybe a master mission inside it, then some other events like abyss or blight or breach or a metamorph boss and so on, then you get a Vaal side area... Even if I'm blitzing through, that time really adds up.

Or do people recommend just focusing on one goal at a time and ignoring the other stuff?

I can't imagine doing all the awakener bonuses in so short a time frame, unless the goon guild and map trading is just that on fire.

I was able to do a t16 map today. It was easy, so just got easy mods. Its surprising how far the difficulty can swing.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Salt Fish posted:

One thing that happens in this thread all the time is that you have people coming in asking questions who play 1-2 hours a day and then the questions are answered by people who play 6-7 hours a day and there is a real mismatch between the experiences of those groups of people.

I started in column one but each league I move a little more towards column two.

I know I've been the resident newbie the past month, but I've been playing a stupid amount too. Currently 94 hours played on Steam. Which is embarrassing for how little I've gotten done compared to your POE experts, but I also spend a lot of my in-game time checking trade, re-reading my build guide, googling questions, etc.

I think there's a *lot* that experienced players take for granted. PoE is definitely an ocean. At that many hours I still haven't made it to Sirus, or any endgame bosses beyond what's at the end of a map.

Part of it is also my personality - if I see something unknown, I tend to immediately go into "research it" mode, instead of just smashing through it and letting whatever happens, happen.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

There's also a big element of not just getting faster but of getting more things done at once, while also stacking more layers of rewards on top of everything you do.

But also getting faster is a big part of it, too.

I'm tempted to make an account and only play it for 1-2 hours a day and i'm pretty sure that once it's up and running the 100maps/day you can run in that time is enough to fund basically anything.

What the lack of progress very often comes down to is people running lovely forums builds that are both expensive because other people are running them but also obsolete and lovely for the current league. If your build sucks, you're going to be spending a lot for upgrades that don't do much and your clear time is going to be poo poo compared to running an op build that can blast through maps in 10c items.

100 maps in 1-2 hours? lol. I wouldn't even know how.

That gets back to my earlier question of, are people mostly skipping all the random extra poo poo thrown into maps (master missions, the various events like deliruim / abyss / metamorph / strongboxes / and so-on). But it's sound like that type of map speed really boils down to:
1. Knowing when and what to skip, and it varies, just get there from running leagues a few times to know what ends up worthwhile
2. Knowing the maps, so you know where the boss arena is likely to be, and with 154 maps, that just takes time
3. Knowing which maps suck and you should skip, versus which ones are linear paths you can smash out in 2 minutes
4. Good discipline on not picking anything up but worthwhile currency and random items (and yes, using Neversink's filters and upping the strictness as you get to higher maps), and pretty much never picking up rares and not even most uniques (this I'm learning the hard way as I keep inspecting with POE Overlay, and vendoring)

So as my first character, the full "cycle" of picking the map that progresses crusader (bought map stash tab, search it by area, etc), some quick juicing, then doing all the events in it, finding the boss, then sorting through even just the uniques for anything I can sell....it's not a quick process.

If I can play next league and get to mapping at a decent pace, plan is definitely to be even picker with what I loot, and still use dump tabs beyond that, and sort through currency / div cards / etc later.

Right now though league looks to be launching right after the next EverQuest expac unlocks on my TLP, so might have competing interests, if the league doesn't get pushed back a week or two, heh.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I didn't know abysses could lead to depths (I just googled it), much less had a special rare boss lich. I didn't realize maxing the metamorph bar dropped organs to make a special fight until two days ago (haven't done that fight yet). I haven't seen an elder or shaper fresh yet, lol.

How tough is the Queen fight from the four common frags? What about sim? Like, if I can handle most t14-16 maps, are they at least with giving a shot to see them, or is Queen just going to one shot me, and wave 5 will splatter me?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Thanks again for the answers to "how to run maps more efficiently". I'm still struggle-bussing with all the side objectives, but trying to get better about it, heh.

Had a map last night that I was doing to get conqs to spawn (at the "with 4 watchstones active" stage). Get in it, start zipping around cycloning everything in delirium. Then Zana popped into the map...guess I better do the map within the map. Map within the map has 2-3 side objectives, plus I have to hunt for the boss a bit because I don't have the 154 maps memorized yet heh. Back to main map and there's 2-3 more side objectives to do. Then finally play "find the boss" because, again, still learning layouts. I barely looted anything beyond some currency, and it still took me quite a bit of time. Plus I don't have a stash full of t14-16 maps yet, so I am juicing them a bit to try to get more map drops, and taking an extra second or two to kill yellows sometimes. I don't have an exact time, but I suspect that one map (that was really 2) probably took me like 10-15 minutes.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Krolm posted:

Looks sweet as usual! Pretty impressed with the scope of all this considering the whole Covid-work-from-home mess. Kudos to them for pulling it together.

As a dev, who has worked from home for about the past five years exclusively, I don't get this. My productivity went way up once I started working from home.

It's definitely a skill, though. And the whole team has to have good distributed communication.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I already feel there's enough random fragments and fossils and scarabs and metamorph pieces and on and on, so yet another thing to collect is kind of bleh - at least without reducing some of the existing clutter. Some of which doesn't go into frag / special tab as it is.

I know they're making a stash tab for it, but I have enough of those already as well. I know it's a big part of their monetization, but I'd rather pay to upgrade the existing frag tab or something, along with condensing some of the old league drops.

On the whole, Farmville doesnt seem that exciting, but it sounds like "thing you'll do for the rewards". I'll be glad to not have every single map have a delirium portal though.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
After listening to the interview last night, I definitely feel a little better.

All the harvest crap will go in its own special area - not a stash tab (they don't have a name for it yet, but they compared it to how you don't manually store Azurite / Sulphite for Niko).

They also said planting and setting up your farm would be quick, even when you get to higher tier bosses with more complex growing things. That it won't be a big thing to set it up to grow more complicated seeds.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
So my current (and first and only) char is a Cyclone Slayer build, using Vaal Pact and Resolute Technique. I enjoy spin-to-win, stun immunity, and using leap slam to hop around like an idiot frog and skip minor parts of geomotry. However I hate how lovely my boss DPS is, as well as boss survivability feels sometimes - the fights take me so long, flask charges and souls run out quick, then it's starvation mode as I try to not die while doing what damage I can. Doing the conquerors 4 times each to unlock Sirus was really stressful (haven't fought Sirus yet...gonna try tonight, with all my watcher stones removed heh. Don't care about his loot, just want to kill him at least once this league).

Overall I liked the build, and I like melee in general in ARPGs. I generally do not like caster playstyle in ARPGs. Next league I was thinking maybe of Toxic Rain Trickster. Seems to have much better boss DPS, I don't have to face hug the bosses which should let me learn / deal with fight mechanics easier, plus this build has a really high survivability too, it sounds like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9eOYygC61k

Cliffnotes version:
Toxic Rain, gear focusing on chaos damage over time
Despair / Wither / Mirage archer as other skills
Defensive: Flesh & Stone aura, Acrobatics, Phase Acrobatics, Escape Artist, Atziri's Step unique boots, CWDT+IC
Other passives: Patient Reaper, Ghost Dance
Uses a cluster jewel tree (1 large -> 2 med -> 1 small each)
Gear: Rares are good, some cheap uniques are good too

Provided forth-coming patch notes don't run it into uselessness - looks to be cheap and newb friendly, and be a nice change of pace from what I ran this league. The dude says it's a good league starter, cheap build, good at clearing / bosses / surviving, all things I'm looking for as a newb.

Thoughts?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

pork never goes bad posted:

If you link your character or a PoB pastebin, I'm sure some people will be able to offer advice that will boost damage or survivability on a reasonable budget. I've played a few cyclone builds since the rework and will definitely take a look, and there's many more experienced players here that will also be able to help.

POB Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/m2GaJ52T

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Bruman/characters?characterName=Bruwind

I'm definitely down for any minor tweaks people have or some obvious gear upgrades that I've blanked on, mainly as a learning experience, but I'm near "done" with the league and probably not going to bother with any major changes.

RT and VP together is a bit weird, but VP and slayer leech is very nice feeling. At this point switching out of RT into crit shouldn't be too hard.

euphronius posted:

Exactly but from what I’ve seen and done the other slayer nodes are better than overleech

I just followed this guide, and at some point while leveling Axes made sense for me, so I went that path and used his axes build: https://www.poe-vault.com/guides/cyclone-slayer-build-guide

That lead me to RT and VP. Not having to gear for accuracy and crit seemed like a simpler choice. In retrospect, should've went swords and crit and such, an option he has also.

I don't know enough to say "well this mechanic isn't working for me now, I should swap over to such-and-such" and all that. Those things usually have a lot of gear impacts, and I'm too newb to know what that handles.

At this point, I'm just trying to kill Sirus and hit 24 challenges as a capstone to the league for me, then do better next league.

To your other question, TR Trickster is a good evergreen build and unless something changes in the patch notes, it should do well for you. When you say you dislike caster playstyle, what about it don't you like? TR feels, to me, like a sorta bow spell with its up-down-pods mechanic.

I think it always feels disconnected to me. D2 I tried a caster, and was bored of the game quickly. Tried an assassin, loved it. D3 came out and they had that "beta to Skele King" period, had a wizard type, and was like "wow this sucks". Tried a monk and was like "oh okay now we're talking". My first POE character here was actually a summoner and I was so goddamn bored, was quitting the game at level 10. Then decided "well lets try a spin-to-win", and now I've put in 100 hours on Steam.

I liked ranged DPS in WoW and especially LOTRO, so I thought trying a bow build here in POE would be a good change of pace while hopefully not leading me towards boredom. Something kind of middle ground.

I also think I don't like casters because typically it's something like "hold shift to stand in place while you nuke in a direction", and somewhere 20 years my brain failed at that and never made the neural pathway for that to feel good / natural.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

xZAOx I have worked through your PoB some, and though this is not super optimized (the tree is ugly, and obviously crit or swords is probably better overall), I think you can stay RT and Axes and more than double your dps by incorporating some cluster jewels and making a few gear/jewel changes. Broadly, I think you've invested in some late-game upgrades that I'd not prioritize as early as you have - spiked gloves with aspd, for example, the awakened melee phys, or steel rings when your base damage is so high. You're sorta mixed ele and phys, which isn't a great way to go, and your mana res situation isn't doing you major favors either. Ultimately, impale is just too strong not to use. There's a few other changes - though I clearly don't like the way they offered the advice, Cinara is right about Soul Tether and switching to Impact makes a difference to your AoE. For the clusters I think a good large with Deep Cuts is basically necessary for phys cyclone, but the other nodes are much more up for grabs. On the medium I went with Hex Breaker for QoL and Enduring Focus for charge generation since I dropped Charging Offensive. For small clusters, Fettle is very strong and helps make up for the fact that I did drop your life slightly (though eHP is similar because of Soul Tether). And No Witnesses is an underratedly good node for any cyclone character - Elusive for periods when clearing is pretty loving good - the movespeed is noticeable, and the dodge is just enough to help when you get stupid.

I put trade searches for the suggested items in the Notes section of PoB for each of the items I suggest you change - selling your awakened gem will let you make all these changes.

New PoB with fairly conservative 600k boss dps, equivalent eHP, more consistent endurance charges, and one more cyclone radius: https://pastebin.com/4ChC0j8v

Your current reliable boss dps is about 230k btw, maybe a bit higher if you can sustain frenzies luckily.

Wow, thanks man! Gonna go through this and see what happens.

A few notes - please don't judge my gear too harshly, lol. The spiked gloves I literally bought yesterday to use as boss gloves over my Haemophilia gloves (per the guide I was showing). Most of the gear I'm using now I bought in the last week when a kind goon dropped some exa and chaos on me. After that I was kind of at the mercy of what showed up on trade this late in the league, that people would actually respond to (spoiler: like 70% of stuff gets no response).

The awakened gem I found myself a few days. Was pretty shocked when I saw it sells for 5exa, but was like "Naw, might as well use it!". The mixed ele / phys is another case of the guide suggesting both, and it being "well what's actually available to buy". The rest of the gear is just me shuffling crap to hit resists and stat needs. I really only built a set of gear twice - once when I first started mapping (less then 20c of gear), and again once I got that currency dump (much more expensive, but also a lot less to pick from). It's been a learning process for sure!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Ahh if you're running haemo, you might need to change some other rares to cap res. But the trade searches I made for you should be helpful, particularly in how to use affix groups to more easily target specific upgrades. If you wanna quick thing, and to stay mixed ele/phys, just adding Hatred and making no other changes will add a lot of good dps.

The search links were suuuuuper helpful. Just got done buying everything and updating gems. About to redo my tree and run the baby lab to reset my ascendency.

Then I'll jump into a map and see how it goes!

Side note: with the gem shake up, I have no auras going. Did you think they were overrated? I've been using those defensive ones since almost forever (or at least some defensive aura) so I feel pretty naked.

Edit: defensive aura, I mean

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 4, 2020

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Flesh and Stone is a defensive aura in sand stance! But yeah, I don't value Grace highly on a cyclone slayer. And pride is just so much damage so...

Gotcha! First time using it.

Trip report: I definitely think it's much better. Both had fast clear speeds of trash, but the Elusive stacking is super nice.

I gave the Sirus fight a try, and well...I'll need more practice, heh.

For me the real test of the build will be Conqs because they're consistent - even with my old setup some map bosses died instantly, but then some would whittle away. I ran some maps tonight, and bosses seemed much better. And since Sirus killed me, now I have to go the long route of trying to spawn conqs again anyways, so I'll get another shot at seeing just how much better this does against them.

I also gave the Simulacrum a whirl. Got to wave 18. Not bad for my first attempt, I don't think.

Thanks again man!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Dumb newb question: how do hideouts work in a new league?

Are hideouts "permanent"? As in, whatever hideout you selected and however you decorated it, that all stays the same in a new league?

If you switch to a different hideout, then back to your original, does it keep any layout changes you made (between leagues or otherwise)?

Was thinking of playing doll house a bit, but didn't want to put in :effort: if it's just going to be trashed in 2 weeks.

Lastly - I see on the wiki a lot of hideouts are "rare". I assume if you're on a map you know might have one, do you just have to scour it to make sure one isn't there, or is there some notification that it's ready for you to find it?

I'd assume the MTX ones are account-wide and permanent, but wasn't sure if rare drops are just for the league -> standard, along with the ones you find in Act1-10

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

it's like a scratch off ticket where you need to be a loving nerd to know if you won.

Most outcomes are bad.

pathofexile.txt?

Wuxi posted:

Even on builds that only use a single skill for their damage you can expect to use every button you have (at least on your main bar) regularly.

Not to mention smashing your flasks constantly as you move higher up in mapping.

Being a newb with 1 character, early in the game I just them reacting to stuff happening (oh no I got hit hard, better use a life flask). These days though the DPS ones I just keep running full time while clearing, and esp if I'm heading towards a big pack I go ahead and pop the defensive ones too.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

aejix posted:

People have already covered it but several leagues ago they introduced import/export functions for hideout and your hideout carries over from league to league now. Check out hideoutshowcase.com and you can find one you like, although you'll need enough favour from masters to buy all the decorations required, plus almost every hideout uses decorations that you need max level masters to even be able to purchase. Not as painful as that sounds (except level 7 Alva :argh:) but something to be aware of.

The rare hideouts (e.g. haunted mansion) are just a random spawn when you run that particular map. No tells as far as I knew, other than the normal blue symbol on minimap - took me about 180-200 haunted mansions before I finally got that fucker, but it remains permanently unlocked for future leagues too. Some hideouts can only be bought from MTX store (e.g. glimmerwood hideout) too.

I didn't even realize masters had a "level". I thought the "purchase decorations" option they all had was just going to link me to the MTX store or something, lol.

I see the levels and reqs now and such. I don't have them all to level 7. I'm assuming next league they'll start off where there are now as far as level, or do they start back at 1?

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 5, 2020

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Tenzarin posted:

Chris wilson in a meeting and someone gives him a note that the POE auction house has now been implemented.

It already has in China!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Any goons who don't want their "could spawn a hideout" maps? Any tier is fine. I'll be on tomorrow in the afternoon (Bruwind).

On the plus side I was able to get 3 or 4 of the hideouts today. On the bad side, it was because I sat in /global 820 (no luck on my maps). Most gave them away, but I'd tip them anyways. One guy blocked off his waypoint and wanted payment first, so I figure that dude's scamming so nope'd out of that.

Anywho's, here's the ones I wouldn't mind taking off anyone's hands if they're gonna be on tomorrow and it's gonna rot:

Academy Map
Arcade Map
Atoll Map
Crimson Temple Map
Dig Map
Haunted Mansion Map
Iceberg Map
Ivory Temple Map
Orchard Map
Summit Map
Sunken City Map
Terrace Map

It was fun just running easy maps for a while. A nice change of objective.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah, I'm not actually expecting to find them, but I'm enjoying the change of pace and being chill until the new league.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'm looking forward to being there on league start, and hopefully I've picked a better build this time (TR Trickster).

Most of the real end-game content I couldn't do. Pork really helped me improve, but you can still only do so much heh.

I got the 24 challenge mtx reward at least, after I got a pubbie to carry me through Sirus (I tried him my on the first time, goodbye 6 portals heh). A lot of that is definitely just learning the fight though.

I failed at Mastermind, Minotaur (1-shot me every time, realized I needed to swap to the 3k armor flask), Cortex (turns out I made it to the last phase, but goddamn, what a long boss fight), Halls of Guardians (gently caress that map). I went into them all blind because that's just how I like to play and learn. Which isn't the worst habit for MMOs, but when you only have 6 shots, not so good a strat.

I did manage one of the shaper/elder or something fights (I still get tripped up on those - it wasn't the final shaper / elder, just one leading up to them, that much I'm pretty sure of), and got Simulacrum to wave 18 the 1 time I tried, so not the worst there. But yeah, planning on doing much better next league / character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Tenzarin posted:

Hall of the grandmasters is never worth it.

Yeah, I was getting unique maps challenge done and just buying whatever, and going in blind.

Lesson learned! Literally one dude at the end of Hall of Heroes that was unkillable for me. I couldn't get past his regenning shield. At least once my flask charges and souls were gone.