Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Ciaphas posted:

I'm gonna try using the quad I already have for loot dumping/sorting, but I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that idea--sifting through items into what's sellable and what isn't feels like such a chore, especially when half my pickups are things like 6Ses or chromatics to immediately vendor anyway

Quad tabs are great for this too. Dump everything into a public 1C quad, re-price something if it gets interest, vendor the oldest half of the tab when it fills up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

euphronius posted:

If there were poe courts (assumpsit) your repricing schemes would be smashed into oblivion

Wholly unlawful under common law

Maybe POE should just have a good trading system that automatically transfers the item at the seller's price so I couldn't exploit it like that

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

What's the actual concern with implementing some kind of AH that automatically transfers the item? I get that it's not going to happen because GGG doesn't want it, but I don't understand how having frictionless trading and prices that actually reflect the market value of items could be a bad thing for the game.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Eminai posted:

The realistic concern is that items currently in the <5c price bracket will trend towards vendor value because there's a non-zero supply of them that currently aren't being sold because it's not worth the effort for the return. Similarly, cheap uniques with good vaal implicits will dip because it will be easier to buy a hundred of them to mass vaal. People who don't understand economics turn this into "Everything will be worthless except one item that will cost ten thousand mirrors and also your firstborn".

So? If an item would be worthless except for the overhead involved in the trading process, it ought to be worthless. Remember the contingent of players who didn't like it when GGG announced they were going to add a vendor that sold every gem? They were worried it was going to wreck the market for level one zero-quality support gems. And they were right, and it was great.

The other reason I don't like this line of thinking is that it's explicitly building around a lovely part of the game instead of fixing it. It's like if you made a game where all the buttons on the UI moved around at random, and refused to fix it because people would get through the game too fast if they weren't constantly hitting the wrong button.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

I've never tried dark pact myself, but everyone playing zerker DP says it's really powerful. I wouldn't be surprised if GGG nerfed it in a mid-league balance patch, though.

I'm playing Ngamahu's Cyclone Slayer this league and I love it. It's powerful, cheap, and fast. If you're looking at builds for it and getting scared off by the price of Xoph's Blood, I promise that you absolutely do not need one to crush T15s. A 5L and decent rares are plenty. If you have any interest in doing uber lab runs, it's an ideal build for that too. Slayer's super-cull is great against the third Izaro fight.

Shayl posted:

Is it pretty normal for a person to get stuck on a certain tier of maps because they don't drop? I haven't been able to get anything above tier 8. Maybe I just need to run more maps and that's just how it is.

There's no sense in waiting for maps to drop; just buy them from players. Everything below upper-level red-tier maps are really cheap compared to the profit you get from running them. My experience is that once you're over the initial mapping difficulty hump, pretty much every decent build very quickly reaches a point where the tier of maps that you're "naturally" accumulating is way too easy. This league I just bought everything and filled out T1-T10 in a day.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

If they do something to break shaping strategies, I really hope they undo the pack density nerfs in exchange. Maps felt so empty this league.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Quad frost bolt totems is plenty fun and one of the fastest mapping builds I've ever played.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Holyshoot posted:

until you get to the boss and then all that clear speed time is lost because you are stuck taking 5 mins to kill him.

Don't blame me if you want to do something as unrewarding and suboptimal as killing map bosses

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Yeah, I'm going to start with a Ngamahu Cyclone Slayer again. The new Vaal Pact should be pretty great for that build. I kind of wanted to do a flicker strike + CoC Volatile Dead thing but I'll let some other sucker do the hard work of figuring out whether that's viable or not first.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

I did quad FB totems last league and it was great. One of the fastest mapping builds I've ever played. Freeze pulse might do more damage, but the really nice thing about FB is that it effortlessly clears trash from a screen away. I think my plan this time is to follow a crit GC totems build but actually run Frost Bolt unless I'm killing bosses.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Another GC totem hierophant here. It's been great, I sailed to yellow maps without buying anything other than a 5-link body. Didn't even feel like I had to upgrade anything else. Right now I'm trying to decide if I really want to switch to a Soul Mantle. Hitting a warding flask every 5 seconds sounds annoying and I'd have to redo all my resistances to go dual Kikazaru.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

also what I'm doing, the great thing is you can scale up pretty heavy with money by going crit (and buying multi jewels) and using "phys as extra ele dps" weapons

Are these better for GC totems than Shimmeron+Void Battery?

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Bugamol posted:

It's insane to me that we're almost a week in and there's 0 Atziri's Mirrors for sale.

After they fixed it so they could show up on trade sites I saw one briefly listed for 30 ex, but none since.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Even if you only pick up rares with good base types, pricing everything is slow, unrewarding, and error-prone, so I crowd-source it. When my dump tabs fill up I identify the rares, move them into a 1c quad tab, and never even look at them unless they get a whisper. If they do and they seem like they're worth more I'll re-price accordingly. I use two quad tabs for this; once one fills up I vendor everything in the other one and switch, but you can do the same thing with a single quad tab or a few normal public tabs as long as each item is public for a few hours. Anything really valuable will generate multiple whispers in minutes, and anything borderline is no big loss.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Dance Officer posted:

There's no need for AB. I have 4 totems through hiero and armor, and points are better spent somewhere else.

As for the gem slots, I simply don't/didn't need them, so I loaded them up with other crap to level up and sell.

I have no idea why you would not want to take Ancestral Bond in a totem build even with Soul Mantle. I guess it doesn't matter that much for clearing trash, but it'll matter for anything that stays alive for more than a second. Especially with Frostbolt, which kind of sucks against bosses. Nothing you can self-cast is going to do enough damage that it'd be better than a 5th totem, and your time would be better spent casting Elemental Weakness, Frost Bomb, or re-placing a totem to keep the crit bonus from Shaman's Dominion up. If you're that worried about points, it'd almost certainly be better to ditch the Shamanistic Fury branch (Hiero gets plenty of totem placement speed from ascendancy) or Totemic Mastery.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Vasudus posted:

Anything beyond 4 totems is unnecessary now in my opinion. You're giving up a chest and two ring spots for them.

You're not giving up anything. If the 7-link wasn't enough, two flasks with warding on them is more effective than dual Kikazarus and you get to keep your ring slots. This is the first league I went Soul Mantle and I was worried about the curses being annoying to deal with, but it turns out the same flask-mashing you'd do for any other character is enough to keep the curses off you almost all of the time. The only thing you have to do is hit an extra button when you notice the warding symbol isn't floating above you.

edit: Loreweave and Cloak of Defiance are good counterarguments but Hiero with MoM is already tanky enough for a totem build that I don't really see the need unless you're HC

McFrugal posted:

Well right now there's a reason to drop Ancestral Bond-- capturing beasts is unreliable with totems. You can work around it, of course.

Does anyone not use necro nets for red beasts now

Tiny Bug Child fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 21, 2018

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Dr. Despair posted:

The best are assholes who just throw things in a dump tab and then jack up the price when they do get a whisper or two instead of selling them

Lazy fuuuuucks

It may be a dick move, but it works. I put everything in 1c buyout quad tabs without even looking at it; if I'm immediately flooded with whispers I know I have something worthwhile and I go figure out a real price. Whenever someone wants to buy something that's been in there for a while I do a quick check to make sure it's not worth more than 5c or so before selling it. If you don't like it, uh, get GGG to implement a real trading system I guess

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

ubachung posted:

Yeah seriously. I can't be bothered to properly price stuff either, so I set the price high and drop it until the item sells. It's just as easy and doesn't waste anyone's time. Why be a dick?

Cause that's not at all just as easy? You'd have to manage the price individually on every item you want to do this for, when a big benefit of the 1c dump tab system is being able to do it in bulk. I usually have a few quad tabs going and I just vendor the oldest one when they fill up. Another plus is that you get really quick feedback when you have something good without having to think about it at all. I have no idea what makes a good item outside the builds I play and I'm often surprised at what turns out to be valuable.

(To be clear I don't try to change the price on whoever whispers me, I just reprice the item and wait for someone to buy it at the new price)

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

I don't think you're thinking very hard about this. It takes a minute or two just to vendor a quad stash tab, and you're trying to say it would be roughly the same amount of effort to have some kind of gradated system where I'm moving all the items in each of them down to the next lowest price all the time? It wouldn't be 0.1% more effort, it would be like 800% more effort. It would absolutely be a huge pain in the rear end.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

please knock Mom! posted:

If you don't like it I suggest you get used to it, because it's not going to get smoother

To be fair, they've reversed course or made limited exceptions to several things they were previously against. I don't have a link but I'm pretty sure GGG publicly nixed the idea of item highlighting or auto-pickup mechanisms at some point, and this league you have the crawler picking stuff up and item minimap icons. Heck, highlighting items on the ground at all (let alone having minimap icons for them) was once exclusively the domain of "cheats" like PoeHUD. It's obvious GGG doesn't like "easy" trading but I think they know that they're almost totally out of step with the players on that issue, and while we'll probably never get anything as cool as automatically-run player-owned shops I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see improvements that make trading a smoother process down the line.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Very excited about Lightning Warp maybe not being terrible.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

I'm pretty much settled on Arc totem Hiero too. I love totems and I skipped out on Incursion so I didn't get to enjoy the Arc buffs yet. If Arc did get nerfed, I'll probably fall back on Glacial Cascade totems.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Without Shimmeron, I'm thinking I'll level as Arc totems but may switch to Glacial Cascade totems at some point for endgame.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

ThePineapple posted:

Seems like a lot of you are going for Arc Totems. Is the build actually fun to play?

I think totems are a love-them-or-hate-them kind of thing. I love them cause I like being able to stand way the hell away from enemies and blow them up with as little engagement as possible.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Vanguard Warden posted:

You'll be fine. The 5th totem from Soul Mantle is a 25% damage boost, but you have to get some sort of curse immunity set-up going that uses up your off-hand or both rings to support it, and you could use those slots for damage.

You can just use a warding flask as long as you don't mind hitting it every few seconds. It's annoying to deal with but totally doable.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

I've had no problem keeping red maps going this league, but I trade for them the same way I trade for whatever else my character needs. People seem to talk about having to buy maps like it's some kind of failure state but if you're not playing SSF that's what you're supposed to do! Like, if you run a T14 and the only map that drops is a T13 you're probably not only sustaining but profiting, given all the other drops.

Now that upgrades are league-wide I'm probably going to start a new character too, but I'm having trouble thinking of anything that isn't absurdly expensive but would still be an improvement over Arc totems in terms of tankiness without being a big clearspeed downgrade. I'm nostalgic for my old dual-Obliteration BV Berserker, so I'm leaning towards triple herald BV Elementalist.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Kind of want to try EK nova, but probably going to end up going with some flavor of BV. My only concern is if they changed Inpulsa's rarity. I didn't see anything about it in the patch notes, but I thought GGG said something about rebalancing the rarity of some uniques this league.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

I'll probably regret it, but I'm considering starting with a Frost Blades Assassin so I can respec into an autobomber once I have the currency.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Alright I think I've finally narrowed it down to Occultist BV or Phantasm Necro. Leaning Occultist BV cause you can still get lots of pack-clearing explosions without Inpulsa's and all the newly buffed chaos damage nodes.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Vulpes posted:

Is Occultist BV as good a league starter as Elementalist? I was thinking of starting Elementalist and respeccing later once I had some currency built up.

Probably not, but I don't know to what extent and that's why I'm waffling. It's certainly a better starter than most builds; Engineering Eternity just did a video recommending it as a starter using Decay and The Gray Spire and it seems pretty fast. Occultist is also probably going to be way tankier late-game with a massive ES pool and CI and a bunch of aura curses.

I'm probably going to panic when I actually get to log in and roll arc totem hiero anyway

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

uh is anyone else having lag that makes the game completely unplayable as soon as they go in the zone after the first town

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

I'm having a lot of fun with my Decay BV/Blight Occultist. Having some trouble scaling damage up in high-tier maps but that's probably because I'm hanging on to Obliteration for extra-explosive packs.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Kaedric posted:

Pretty much yeah, one of the better ways to see if something is worth anything is to dump it in a generic 'everything for 1c' tab (since most garbage uniques and rares can still go for 1c sometimes). If you VERY SUDDENLY get 3-5 whispers, unlist the item and give it another look.

This works very well if you have at least two quad tabs you can dedicate to being dump tabs, so when they both get full you vendor everything in the oldest one and rotate them out. (Intentionally collecting items for the chaos recipe is inefficient, but when you're vendoring a quad tab full of rares anyway you can put together sets as you go and make a few extra chaos in exchange for an extra minute or two, which doesn't seem like a bad tradeoff.) This is also a very good strategy if you don't know anything about pricing rares, since it teaches you how few are actually worth anything. I like to set my dump price a little higher, usually at 3c or so, since the point of doing this is to find the big ticket items with no effort rather than all the mediocre items you can sell for pennies. You'll know very quickly when you have something actually valuable.

The majority of people who try to buy off me get what they want. I'm not going to bother repricing a middling 3c item that nobody showed interest in for hours in order to try and chisel an extra 2c out of someone. I guess I'm exploiting the people who are trying to exploit people who don't know how to price items, but I can't say I feel guilty about that.

TheRat posted:

A lot of people, myself included, would block you for doing this.

Fortunately, the market is way too big for that to matter.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Vulpes posted:

Lot of lazy assholes defending their laziness itt. Just learn how to price things properly, it's not that hard.

I've been playing since Domination league and I'm still occasionally surprised what turns out to be valuable. "Just price everything yourself!" leaves money on the table and doesn't scale.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Arzachel posted:

Why bother pricing things when other people can do it for me, lol gottem XD also how *dare* this SHITLORD not answer when I want to buy this 1alch map!!!

I've never had a problem buying cheap commodity items like maps. All the trade tools make it dead simple to spam messages. Copy, paste, go to the next seller and repeat until you get a party invite. Just keep going, don't send one whisper out and sit there for five minutes hoping for a response.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Jinnigan posted:

shut up about trade ethics and tell me what build to play next

What do you want to do? Kill bosses? Farm maps? Run uber labs?

I wouldn't call Arc totems "tanky". Hiero/MoM isn't super fragile but your main defense is still not being anywhere near the stuff you're killing.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Zmej posted:

dealing with two dozen instant whispers is way more annoying than doing 1 minute of research where you learn more in that process.

It really isn't. Whispers don't require you to do anything. Either way, the real time waste isn't selecting a price for an item you know to be valuable, it's looking at a tab full of items and deciding which ones could be valuable. I feel like the people who keep saying "just price your stuff yourself, it doesn't take that long" just don't understand the dump tab concept or something. You identify your items and throw them in your dump tab without ever even looking at the stats. Any amount of effort put into selecting salable items and prices is going to be worse than literally no effort.

Jinnigan posted:

with this character i want to consistently and safely push guardians, shaper, and red elder. maybe attempt an uber elder or two.

You can certainly do all that with Arc totems but I wouldn't suggest it for bossing consistently and safely. I went Arc totems in Delve and felt frustratingly fragile in high tier maps. Out of the three builds you listed I'd go with the Vortex occultist. Clear speed won't be quite as incredible as Arc totems, but few builds are, especially high-tier boss capable ones.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

TheRat posted:

The concept is "dump it now, price it later", not "dump it now, be a lazy twat and let others price it for me"

Well, it depends on the kind of "dump tab" you mean, because people use the term to refer to two different things: 1) tabs where you dump your entire inventory between maps to sort out later and 2) tabs with a set buyout that you put identified items into to see if you get a bite. I personally use both kinds--I use four non-public basic numbered tabs for the first kind of "dump tab", then once they fill up, I sort out the commodities like maps, quality gems, and div cards to their respective tabs, then I throw the rares and uniques in the second kind of "dump tab".

Glad I could clarify that for you!

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

imho setting a starting price for an item and increasing it based on demand isn't much different from an actual auction

Maybe, but it's extremely important to the health of the game that the process is a huge pain in the rear end and that it pisses everyone involved off instead of being automated, because

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

It's weird to me how so many people want to get on this moral high horse about video games in the same forums that produced all those hilarious stories about griefing people in EVE and cheating them out of virtual spaceships worth real life money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

every other player has also made the decision to sink hours into a glorified Skinner box so I fail to see why I should respect their time more than they do