Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
If you're in the goon guild, the best way to get leveling gear is to fish it out of the Guild Stash. Don't be afraid to try throwing a cheap essence on something in there, too. It's why we would toss a white 4- or 5-link in there - go nuts, within reason. If you need an upgrade, see if it works out. If it doesn't, oh well.

Also, does Orb of Binding guarantee max linked sockets? Or does it act like one roll of a fusing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Missionary Positron posted:

Well, it turned out that Act 10 was pretty much a pushover besides those instagib duders.

Is my poo poo considered fixed now? :v:

Which are the instagib duders? I remember some guys who used Spectral Throw, which was annoying because my usual reaction of running straight away (instead of sideways) meant I died a lot, and some corpse-eating launcher guys who exploded 2 seconds after they died.

Both of which I think were problems caused by non-capped resists doubling my fire damage taken.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
After leveling up a Berserker Crit Blade Flurry, I can't get away from Sunder for trash clearing. I just love it so much.

Is there a better ascendancy for doing a dual Sunder / some other 1-target skill? This is my first time doing life Vaal Pact, and it's pretty disgusting with Cloaked in Savagery. I was holding off on taking VP for god knows what reason, and when I switched it on it turned into Facetank the World.

I assume that it'll be reasonable for me to do 4-link Sunder with an Axe/Mace in one hand for clearing trash, plus 5/6-link Blade Flurry for single target, although I'll probably be leaving some Blade Flurry damage on the table since I won't be able to just use a stat stick in offhand. Doryani's has pretty good base damage, so that might be a good mace for my Sundering once I hit 75.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ciaphas posted:

How do we feel about multistrike on sunder? Feels like it's just slowing me down at 40.

Positioning your attacks is key with sunder, so I really don't like the idea of multistrike attacking random targets that might be off to the side.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ciaphas posted:

Right now it's more to me that my attack speed isn't high enough, so I kind of stand there a bit lump-like while using it. Build guide I'm using seems to insist it's link #1 priority on Sunder, though. :shrug:

It's probably true that multistrike is great from a DPS perspective, if you're facing one target like a boss, which is really all that matters since trash vaporizes anyways

But particularly while leveling, you want to keep your damage to where you're 1- or 2-shotting packs. Sunder is GREAT for this, since its damage scales with number of mobs in the pack. Skip groups of 2-3 monsters, and go whack that pack of 15 and kill them in one hit. Things that make chain explosions like Herald of Ash are good for this

If your damage is falling off, do a search on poe.trade for:
1. The weapon type you like
2. max level req = your level
3. maximum buyout = 1 alch or 1 chaos
4. pDPS (physical DPS) greater than 250 (or some arbitrary number)

Bump up the pDPS number until you're returning zero results - then walk it back down until you see a few hits. This is the best cheap weapon you can get!

You can also just look up the list of uniques on the wiki, and find one that's good for your level and search for the name. People love putting uniques up for sale, so you can usually get them for 1 alch

Keep in mind your stats and check that you can wear it, or that you're not losing int on a weapon that's going to make you unable to use skills

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

please knock Mom! posted:

Set the max buyout to 1-5c and sort by pdps

I am paranoid ever since I used a database that would return a random 100 results (even if thousands matched), then if you apply a sort it just sorts the 100 so you're missing the actual maximum value

If I get 5 results I trust it :colbert:

Edit: After some testing it works like you said, still makes me itch though

Devor fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 18, 2017

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Pierson posted:

What options are there for DWing marauders then? I've already committed my points to DWing but I've not hit any weapon-specific nodes yet.

I mean I'm not in love with Sunder specifically, just anything that will let me act like a big buzzsaw.

This build is engrish as gently caress, but you can get the gist of it. It's pretty glass cannon, I'm going to try sunder / blade flurry like I mentioned earlier, with dual axe/mace + claw

Basically lots of damage, some life, Vaal Pact. I think the build's suggestion to skip Cloaked in Savagery is stupid, and am doing that instead

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1769014

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Skeleton Mages (granted by Dead Reckoning gem, you summon up to 5 mages instead of your skeleton warriors per gem) are fun as heck. They're like flame totems except you can get up to 8-10 of them, and they're affected by auras, and can gain frenzy/power charges, and are affected by offering.

Right now I have Skeletons linked to Pierce, GMP, Spell Echo - so my summoning of the mage echoes, and the mages echo while attacking. With the Skeleton in a +1 helm, they 2-3 shot white mobs and cast really fast.

You also use the shield that grants power/frenzy to the things around you on kill, with the Aegis keystone so that your minions are the ones granting charges to their buddies. Pop Flesh Offering and they all turn into buzz saws.

The jewels each ran me 10-15C a few days ago, but I'm happy with my investment

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Valle posted:

Except the wiki says it got buffed in 2.6

The wiki is the diff that you have to apply to go from Current -> Old

So you take a current one, remove Increased Damage, Block Chance, etc

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Dennis McClaren posted:

Sweet thats good news glad I held onto those chromatic orbs.

:shobon:

You can also search poe.trade for Dreadarc with 3 linked red sockets - there's lots available for 1 alch, which is about as cheap as you'll find since less than that isn't worth a trip back to trade

You could use one in each hand! Go faster

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Dennis McClaren posted:

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Dreadarc

I've got maybe 5 or 6 Jewelers orbs. I have 3 sockets on this right now, but a 4th would be nice. Would I probably waste all of my orbs trying to get 1 more socket on this thing?

1-handed weapons (and anything that you can dual wield, or put in offhand like shields) has a maximum of three sockets - sometimes less, if it's low level

So no, 3 sockets is the best you'll do on that weapon

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

ATTENTION

if you put a $ or any other rl currency symbol in a whisper THAT MSG WILL BE BLOCKED BY GGG

this means if you have that symbol as your trade tab name you will not sell anything

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/6wyo6y/why_are_whisper_messages_from_poetrade_being/

this is new btw, last league I sold stuff from my $$$ tab all the time

$ is for the currency tab, you brought this upon yourself

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Dennis McClaren posted:

So golems are actually eventually worth a poo poo? I only use mine because of the minon bonuses, and I got free golems from my gear.

If you focus on minion support from the tree, and do a little gem support, can a golem actually do worthwhile damage? I thought their best assets were always their auras/passive bonuses they offer you

You can use these expensive-as-hell jewels to make them damage dealers

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/The_Anima_Stone

But otherwise no, they're pretty much just auras on a minion

Edit: these guys

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Primordial_Might
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Primordial_Harmony
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Primordial_Eminence

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Control Volume posted:

can anyone think of a situation where this is actually a DPS loss or is this build planner just incredibly bad?

Does penetration go negative? e.g. Lighting Penetration support would push an enemy's resist to -20%, so ignoring the enemy's resist would reduce your damage because -20% with pen is better than 0% with that node allocated

Actual field results would depend on resist of the enemy, that calc might make a poor assumption to where the node would still be a net benefit because enemies would have more resists than it thinks

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

theSpokeyDokey posted:

Anyone have a link to a solid Maurader build that has decent clear speed and can do bosses. I've been looking into Sunder a bit but I'd like to get opinions before committing.

I also "finished" my Vaal Fireball / Spark speed farmer but I am having trouble actually killing poo poo. I am currently level 74 with 3/4 Labyrinth's completed. poo poo does doesn't seem to want to die and I think I might be roughly 10 levels/skill points away from actually completing this build but the guide I was looking into said I should be able to swap into it around level 70. Anyone have experience with this build and about what level you were able to get it online?

Sunder is a really really fun clear skill, and I love leveling with it, but the single target DPS on bosses just doesn't keep up compared to other skills. Doesn't mean you can't brute force it, but it isn't one of the optimal ways to get bosses dead, compared to other skills that can still clear adequately.

I was playing around a bit with a Berserker Blade Flurry using daggers or claws, and ended up keeping on using axe / claw so that I could Sunder with one hand, and Blade Flurry with the other, was pretty fun enough. With more money spent I might have been able to get the Sunder DPS to keep up enough with only being able to 4-link it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jazerus posted:

the two times your resistances get lowered are the two major difficulty spikes, then there's a third one at the transition to high-tier maps. if you're dying to random elites then your resistances are probably the main issue - the game is really normalized around 75% elemental resists.

Additionally, sometimes you hit areas with enemies that are more likely to chill (and freeze) or stun you with big hits, and those kind of enemies are MUCH more likely to end up killing you when you get stunned an unlucky number of times.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I started up a budget wander on a whim since I happened to get the leveling wand from a prophecy and also have a couple of high level wands on hand (though they aren't Piscator's) but uh... I hit 28 and got Kinetic Blast and it doesn't feel too good. Am I just making judgments too early? It kills things fine... kind of... when it feels like it. It just doesn't feel very enjoyable to use.

What links are you using with KB? LMP (and GMP when you can) are very important, because they scale the number of explosions you get.

Positioning near walls is also important since it can force the explosions to be on top of each other.

Take a read on the mechanics if you haven't already.

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Kinetic_Blast

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ciaphas posted:

kinetic blast is the most ridiculously powerful and fun thing i've ever seen

my god

Can confirm. I was leveling my Raider as a bow until I could drop in Piscator's Vigil at 65, and good lord it was amazing slotting in KB. Adding Thunderfist at 67 just kicked it up a notch.

Does anyone have a good video on tricks for aiming it to kill smaller packs?

I'm still dialing in how to make best use of it on smaller packs - it's kind of like chain Lightning Arrow - big groups will annihilate each other really well, but 2-3 guys take very little damage. I *think* the mechanic is that GMP + Pierce are interacting with the effect of the Skill Gem of "When I hit (or pierce) a dude, make 5 explosions nearby". So each of the 5 projectiles hits 2-3 guys, and thus 10-15 guys hit make 50-75 explosions

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

DemonMage posted:

Correct. Rarity is near useless.

To briefly expand, item drops work by selecting a base item, then applying your 'rarity' to the roll - so a white item is more likely to be magic or rare (maybe unique?) with higher rarity, but it's still a Glorious Plate or Coral Ring.

For Currency drops, the Alteration Orb or Chaos Orb or whatever is the 'base item'. And there's no magic or rare version of an Alteration Orb. The game does not select a generic 'currency' roll and apply rarity to make it have a chance at a Mirror.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Moddington posted:

Every EE hit overwrites any existing EE effect on the target, so if you're doing it yourself you need to alternate between your two skills, or have a gimmick that synergizes with EE (eg. pyre+vortex, a fire hit with a cold degen).

Or use a primary damage skill that doesn't "hit". Righteous Fire qualifies - so RF builds typically take EE, and make sure they have cold or lightning on attack, but NO fire, so when you shield charge in you apply EE that buffs your fire damage, but since RF is just degen you never apply a fire 'hit'.

Edit: which is what you said with cold degen

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

RE: EE Chat.

I use it with skeleton mages since they all fire different elements. It does mean using haste instead of anger but I kind of prefer that.

EE is a debuff that you yourself inflict through attacks - if you cast Fireball, the enemy has -cold -lightning.

Your minions can take advantage of that debuff, but they do not inflict the debuff themselves. So they aren't pingponging the EE types around fire-cold-lit-cold-lit-fire as they shotgun stuff. Or so my googling is telling me how EE works.

Totems apparently do use your passives, though.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Just a public service reminder that if you list an item for sale and get a whisper very quickly - wait a few moments to see if you get a bunch more whispers. These are people automating their own searches on the Trade API to find underpriced items, and frontrun them before they show on poe.trade

I listed an okay ring for 1 Chaos, and got 5-6 messages, checked poe.trade for equivalents, and got 20C after relisting and waiting half an hour.

It's sort of a tragedy of the commons - if all the relisters played it cooler, they could grab a lot more of those cheap rings without setting off the :siren:GOOD LOOT ALARM:siren:. But no one wants to be the last person to whisper a dumb idiot like me, so I get tons of people whispering instantly

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Does anyone have a pet build for easy Uber Lab runs? I put together a budget one early on using the Blood Magic w/ Attacks Axe but it didn't feel very good.

Now that I have some cash to work with, I'd like to put together something else powerful that doesn't use VP.

I assume Regen Juggernaut would be a strong base to start from.

Also, relatedly:

Is there a way to transfer enchantments among two items? I swear I read that in a patch, but I'm not seeing it . I never really messed around with farming enchantments before.

I guess the preferred way is to do the enchants on a random white helmet, and let other folks craft it up as needed?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ineptitude posted:

The problem with Fortify skill gem is that only Shadow can get it from vendors (?!)

Here's how to read this:

Marauder, Templar, Ranger, Duelist and Scion will all be offered a free copy of the jewel for completing the quest "A Fixture of Fate" - that's the Quest Reward table.

Vendor Reward table shows which classes can buy extra copies of the gem (as many as you want, but they do cost currency), AFTER you have completed the relevant quest on the left side. Every gem can be purchased from Siosa or Lilly after completing their quests - Siosa gems are leveled to your current level(ish), Lilly gems are Level 1, and cheaper. More "common" gems can also be purchased in Act 1, 2, or 3 towns - they'll be listed in the Vendor list as appropriate.

Edit:

Ineptitude posted:

Unfortunately i play HC so there is not a lot of stuff in the gstash (and all the worthwhile items that was there are currently equipped by my dude :D)

The wiki states that only shadows can buy fortify support.

That green check covers the WHOLE row. See above for what Red X's look like

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

gonadic io posted:

You can pay Lilly Roth from your stash now though, in the act 5 and 10 towns. You don't even have to to a bullshit side quest for it either.
Siosa is dead(er)

Siosa lets you buy leveled gems, sometimes preferred to Level 1's.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mozi posted:

Cool, thanks.

Side question, is this worth anything? I'm not sure if my senses in this regards are accurate or not.

Otherwise I'm mainly looking for chests with 3 resists + life, or resists + life + more armor + % armor. Or boots with + movespeed and resists and life. But when it comes to weapons I'm not really so confident, such as which weapons are better with spell damage, or how the crit stuff (spell or otherwise) works together.

I had the same tingle, but then realized that the +2 fire gems isn't very relevant because it's on a 3-link. If those rolls were on a staff that might be interesting, but I don't think the damage increase you'd see on from +skills on a dagger would be worth losing 2-3 support gems.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Acht posted:

No, I took Pain Reaver and Cloaked.

Cloaked doesn't kick in until you take a Savage Hit, so if your leech can't sustain against bosses, you might try letting them whack you once and see if that keeps up. But I think that's a sign of a problem - you probably don't want to rely on taking a Savage Hit to sustain, so would need more damage or leech from other sources to up your %.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
When using Ngamahu's with Cyclone, does the cyclone skill want to be linked to anything? I know most of the damage comes from the Molten Burst, but it seems like faster attacks or something would make the Bursts faster.

Does Cyclone really want to be single-socketed?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Trogdos! posted:

Faster Attacks, Fortify, Melee Phys, WED, Inc AoE / Conc

If I can only get 3-4 links into my Ngamahu's Flame, what are the priority? Faster, Fortify, Inc AoE seems most important?

My understanding was that Ngamahu's was semi-budget because you get 6-link damage from the Molten Burst proc without having to spend hundreds of fuses to 6-link something.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

euphronius posted:

you don't have to link the axe. You put cyclone in your chest.

Man, I really misunderstood this item. I figured it was like Whispering Ice. I see the difference now, since it's not granting a skill like WI.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

You can set it for public sale, and price a whole type of maps at once

God Bless us every one

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

JawnV6 posted:

What does the "skip all tutorials" button do? I saw that pop up right at the beginning, haven't played since Legacy so I didn't click.

If you're asking that question, don't press it

[It skips all the tutorials that were added for new players]

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Also, to be clear, this is the currency tab - each one holds a ridiculous quantity of the one item, and you can tell at a glance how many you have. Slots at the bottom can hold currency-like items like breach shards and other things. Picture is old and it has more of the extra tabs on the bottom now.

Probably second best purchase after 1 or 2 premium tabs for selling on the market.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

JawnV6 posted:

I’m continually blow away at how condescending folks are about basic questions in this game.

I see pop ups about the number of unread tutorials just like whypick despite selecting the other option, what’s it actually do?

You create a character

You get a popup tutorial on how to kill that zombie, you close it

You kill that zombie

You get a popup tutorial on how to pick up that skill gem, you close it

You pick up that skill gem

You get a popup tutorial on how to equip that skill gem, you close it

... Repeat for 30 game systems that you need to learn ...

You're in Act 3 and you pick up a Divination Card, you get a popup for what Div Cards are, you close it

etc, etc.

If you instead press "Skip All Tutorials" then you never see another popup on that character.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
What's the tankiest flavor of KB-wander? I miss clearing rooms of stuff from far away, and I'm at the phase where I remember why I don't like melee mapping

Mr E posted:

Is there an addon or website to help me actually know what uniques and rares to keep around? I know that Neversink's filter has different colors for "tiers" of rares and when a normal drops that's worth chancing, but still don't really know what to keep.

go to poe.trade, search the unique name. If there's lots of that item available for 1 alch, it's not valuable. If minimum is 1 chaos or more, it's worth keeping/selling.

Rares you can probably skip. You have to learn what the desirable stats are, and what high rolls for them are. Not worth your effort trying to find rares to flip, probably. You'd be better served spending that time killing more stuff to find chaos orbs and valuable cards

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

MMF Freeway posted:

Probably KB mines with a shaper/elder item for a 6L so you can wear a Kaoms.

Lycosidae is 4 exalts :eyepop: I gather Lycos is more important for Shadow's tree, doing KB mines?

I'm looking at something like this build for ranger. I think it gets away with more accuracy on the tree?

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1764075

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

uhhhh no that's not why lycosidae is expensive lol. I don't know if kb mines is a thing, and I don't even think mines need accuracy.

its expensive because any crit build wants it. Nearly doubles your dps.

My point was rather, in the world of KB, where accuracy is important, Ranger can get the accuracy to be more reasonable without Lycosidae. Because with the current cost it doesn't matter how good it is to me right now.

The Saboteur KB Mines guide has Lycos as one of the 'essential' items. Which I gather means that the mines still use your accuracy rolls.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Zotix posted:

Is this worth anything?

This is an example of lots of high rolls pulling an item in different directions that just make it bad. It's a mediocre-to-bad attacking wand plus a mediocre casters wand that increases three different elements, when typically folks only use one element.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Chakan posted:

Does elemental conversion happen before increases lile that? Sometimes it feels like this game is actively hostile to people learning the mechanics.

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Damage_conversion

quote:

Damage conversion is done before any increases, or multipliers are applied to damage guaranteeing that they are only applied once. However, converted damage is affected by modifiers that apply to be both the original damage type it was converted from, and the new damage type that it was converted to.

If you had something that did Cold -> Fire, then your end damage is buffed by both cold and fire increases, but it's not multiplicative. Short rule of thumb is that with rare exceptions, when things say "Increased" they're always additive with each other, and "More" they're multiplicative. MORE is really really good, increased is just good.

If you do 100 base damage, and you have 200% increased from other sources, you are dealing 300

If you get another 50% increased, you are at 250% increased, and are now dealing 350.

If instead you got 50% more, you would be dealing 450.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'd probably be more into hardcore mode if I could go straight back into mapping, but not that interested in redoing the early game because of a server error getting me killed at some point.

Tier 0 Mapping that scales 1-> 60 or whatever Tier 1 is would be amazing, kind of like D3 Adventure Mode Rifts. gently caress the story, let me do random dungeons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

aejix posted:

I've only played SRS and Totems in any meaningful amount so have nfi how to price this is. Is it even any good

You don't want your damage spell on a 3-link (even if it's a pseudo 4-link). So no, not really. It's got some things going for it, but nothing too crazy.