Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Now that it's coming, a broken part of me will miss playing cruel/merciless act 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

TheRat posted:

I literally says in the post above that real patchnotes will probably be out tomorrow

But how do we know that's real??

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

whypick1 posted:

With enough :10bux: you can turn any character into a bear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahox_hwHDRo

(There aren't any shape-shifting skills in the game)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOpsbAUEe90

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Please invite houseofthedad when you have the chance. Thanks.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Zephro posted:

There was talk, years ago, of letting supporters pay to establish their own custom leagues, which would have been pretty wild. Dunno what happened, maybe they were worried about fracturing the playerbase or something.

They should do this but with races. Rotating 2 week goon races would ruin my life but drat would it keep me coming back.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Eh, I think winging it at first is a great way to learn the game before you get mired in all the min/maxing kind of stuff. I probably just feel that way because that's how I did it, but it was fun to learn things on my own instead of digging through wikis and only playing builds that were popular. Now that I've become more interested in doing well in the game and attempting endgame, I've migrated more to playing good builds and looking things up.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

10 day leagues are the best so I’m pumped.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Disappointed this isn’t a giant fat suit

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

AegisP posted:

Immortal Call has a base duration. Endurance Charges just add bonus time to it, which isn't necessary if all you want IC to do is prevent you from dying to a bunch of spike hits in very quick succession (dozens of porcupines exploding is the prototypical example).

I play HC and always fit immortal call into my build somewhere, but I've never been able to tell if it's actually preventing any damage or if it's just a big warning signal to get me to hit my flasks.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Instant currency exchange would probably gently caress up the economy but man do I hate having to waste time messaging all the listings on the currency market just to find one person to buy my jewelers.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

please knock Mom! posted:

D3 had a botting problem when they had an AH and that game cost you at least 30 bucks per banned bot. PoE is free. Everyone claiming the comparison between D3 and PoE is invalid because of difficulty/whatever stupid rear end reason is conveniently forgetting about sniping bots. The current trading system isn't just a way to make grinding a more attractive option when compared to trading, it's a captcha as well.

Here's a hot take: if you aren't getting the item you want as quickly as you'd like, you're more than likely underpaying and trying to get a good deal. So, get good.

I like the trading system the way it is now but by mid-season it's hard to get anyone to respond even for things that are mildly overpriced on the low end. People just leave things in their premium tabs and can't really be bothered to leave their map to make 1c for a piece of cheap gear at this point. I think there are plenty of valid complaints that aren't just a case of "git gud"s and a lot of people don't have hundreds of hours to invest in a game like PoE like some of us.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Jusupov posted:

I haven't yet switched from my starter

I do not share this problem, because I play hardcore and that choice is made for me

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

QuantaStarFire posted:

Being new to the game, I was curious what skills are mechanically similar to Diablo 3 skills, aside from Cyclone and Leap Slam, which fill Barb niches. I wanna see what kinds of D3 builds I could replicate in this game.

Sunder and Seismic Slam are basically the exact same skill

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Champion is looking pretty good this season, guys

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Vasudus posted:

I'm really not digging all these aspect things. But who knows, maybe it'll be good. GGG's been on a kick lately of making uniques give those rotating buffs. Sorry GGG, I'm not going to janitor my auras.

I think it's pretty cool that they're trying a bunch of different mechanics and seeing what sticks. I've been playing the new Diablo season and absolutely nothing has changed about the game at all and it makes you feel like the game isn't evolving in any way and there's no reason to keep coming back. I'm not as interested in this league as Abyss, but it still sounds interesting and different.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Infected posted:

It's almost as if one of the two games being compared here is a F2P that has to push new content to generate interest and retain/gain playerbase.

:thunk:

D3 still bothers to have seasons and it has additional content to sell. I know they’re very different games but it’s kind of crazy to me how much of a better model PoE has created in terms of maintaining a long-term player base.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

"When you use your Stash, the in-game chest now opens. It's like you're really there!"

Holy poo poo!!!

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Monster capping is fine but I don’t pay much attention to it.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I hope this poo poo doesn't become permanent. Monster catching and crafting is finicky and not terribly much fun to do.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Tormented spirits never drop anything so why even bother making a room with them. Boxes are cool though.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I've never had someone offer me an item for item trade where I thought to myself "wow this would be a good use of my time" unless it was a situation where they were a few chaos short and offering an item with a pretty set value. Give me currency or give me death.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

It finally happened. I finally got a tabula drop in act 1 when I can actually use it

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Don't think anyone is complaining about messaging a few people when someone's slow to respond as much as carpet-bombing a bunch of listings at once and then ignoring people after they've already jumped out of their map and invited you. I know the game is all about efficiency for some people but making an already tedious trade system worse doesn't help anybody.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Have the devs ever talked about why trading in POE seems like it came out of 15+ year old game? Whispers and party invites seem pretty archaic in a world where player run market places (I.E. auction houses, but not exclusively auction houses, in case that rubs someone the wrong way) have been a thing for way over a decade. I appreciate the D2 nods, but I feel like maybe this is one thing that is ok to step out of the past with. Or am I mistaken and there is a more "automated"* trade system that people don't use for other reasons?

*Automated meaning completely menu based, in game, system for buying/selling/trading, as opposed to firing messages into the dark and hoping for a response. I saw something about premium tabs being set to "public" for the purposes of trading, but never really followed up on what that actually meant.

The devs have said that they actually consider the current state of trading to be too easy and that it fucks with the economy. The majority of uniques in the game are 1c or less except for chase uniques or uniques that are used across a large number of builds.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I do think they need to be more judicious with what they add permanently to the game. Leagues are starting to feel less important as they're usually just throwing a single mechanic on a pile of 6-7 individual mechanics that don't interact with each other.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Please do a 2-week race. Those are my favorite events and I wish they'd do them more often.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

HC has skewed my expectations so much that I won't even look at kitava until I have about 4.2k on any build.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Jon Joe posted:

I feel like I’d be having more fun if I felt more powerful.

Most builds don't really come together for me until around the end of act 4/once I've gotten my first ascendency. The first 3 acts are often a chore and the boss health buff did not help that.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

My brother says he's waiting for PoE 2 before digging in and I caught myself saying "but your MTX will carry over!!!" like that's a reasonable thing for a new player to care about.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I click the betrayal buttons at random because I never bothered to learn what was good. This is also my approach to everything in Poe.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I'd hate for this to be my first league if I was just starting out in POE but this mechanic is very good for SSF. I approve.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

yegods posted:

I for one feel this league was too abrupt a change from the last. It's like going from a "cake" league to a "dirt" league. If you're not a crafter, the league mechanic is meh. I can find some enjoyment out of creating a big intricate garden, but just end up buying the equipment i need anyways. I find the drop rates terrible. Delirium may have been too much, but this is ridiculous. Once I made it to maps, I was doing ok... found a bunch of t1 maps, ran them, found some t2 maps... going ok. Ran all the t2 maps, alching when i had an alc, and found a couple t2 maps. Ran those, no maps. Converted my t1 maps to t2 maps, ran those, got a few t2 maps. Ran those, nothing. So I was never able to get to Zana to be able to run her missions, and buy her maps.

Terrible. I can't imagine someone new to the game, getting into this situation. They'd just quite.

I almost did. Instead I complained in guild chat, and some kind goon soul handed me some t3 maps (thank you!). So I found Zana, and am hoping it will go better.

They've definitely over tuned the drops I feel. I probably won't last more than a week or two this league. It's just not fun, especially knowing that the end-game cluster jewel creations are hosed now. End rant, really. I had such a good time last league too. Probably my favorite ever.

Kirac sells maps before you get Zana

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I have an unreasonable hatred of having to click buttons to open doors along with the prolonged wait while your heist partners unlock them or blow them up or whatever. Just have them automatically run up and start interacting with them when I get near one.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I like the league mechanic, but 3.13 has tanked my performance and I have textures popping in constantly. Hope they fix this soon because it's unplayable for me right now.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

This league mechanic is absurdly fiddly and unrewarding when you still have grandfathered league mechanics in the game that take way less effort. I've started skipping the expeditions altogether because I've found 0 maps and haven't gotten anything of value for my time aside from some currency. I know every league can't just have a more monster/more loot mechanic but at least Harvest was highly rewarding for the amount of time you had to spend interacting with it.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Not sure what’s going on but the game is unbearably laggy for me with constant latency spikes.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I really hate the design philosophy they've been applying for the past year or so. There's no reason for the opening acts to be at the difficulty level they currently are and they seem determined to up the amount of random one-shot poo poo that occurs. Catering to veteran players is one thing but I can't imagine anyone picking up this game in the past couple leagues and having a good time with the amount of knowledge you need just for basic survival.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Glad I skipped Affliction for whatever this crap is. I'm an HC player and having to go through two layers of modifiers while checking my maps so I don't murder myself is not enjoyable or rewarding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

wemgo posted:

To add some discussion:

How should (or could) a game like poe reset player power, game rewards, and the content ‘meta’ without pissing off the playerbase?

QoL improvements havent seemed to work, though some of the Necropolis UI are obvious QoL misses.

I dont see any good way to rip the bandaid off, so to speak.

It's an ARPG and people are going to be pissed off no matter what, but I do wish they had been more selective in what league mechanics they chose to make core or were more willing to rotate things out. They've gone the route of giving everything to the player and letting them sort it out, but I think an approach along the lines of new league mechanic + a curation of 3 old league mechanics that could be swapped out every league would have gone a long way in keeping the bloat down. It'd take a big upheaval that'd make a lot of people unhappy, but I can't see the game continuing to grow in complexity at the same pace for the next 5 years without the bottom falling out.