Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

hello,

I've been enjoying this league but I feel like I'm up shits creek with a build right now in softcore.

someone turned me on to an inquisitor elemental crit wander build, but I'm having serious mana and boss problems when I am not criting/shattering mobs and also my single dps is just poo poo.

what links should I be running with kinetic blast and barrage too? right now I've ascended once and got Righteous Providence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I want to try out a summoner with Necromantic Aegis. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas besides Victario's Charity?

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Vasudus posted:

I did a skelemage necromancer this league that was really quite good. I used a spell damage / cast speed shield and it was probably a solid 30% damage boost on my mages. It was also dirt cheap because you just want spellpower and cast speed, everything else is completely irrelevant; I got a lovely one with no resistances, no bonus es, no life with T2 cast speed and T2 spellpower for like 10c early in the league.
I have been eyeballing that skelemage threshold jewel for a while. That does sound really fun, and something I can run early while leveling. Thanks! Any other items that benefit skelemages I should know about ?

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Vasudus posted:

It depends on how you build it. You've got a few options:
Cool, there was a lot more than I thought. I'm still pretty new to PoE, playing on and off very briefly over two years but always had a friend make builds for me.

I dunno why, but I always come back to wanting to make a summoner or necromancer. I'm hoping 3.1 brings some small changes for summoners since there seems to be a long list of stuff summoners have been bothered by for years.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Do any of the buff/UI changes mean I can tell how long my Offering durations will last?

Even if no, any UI improvements/changes are welcomed because it's probably one step closer.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Fenris13 posted:

Assuming you can generate enough corpses, volatile dead should be monstrous dps, but looks to in someway require paring with a totem.
I was thinking that too. Self-cast unearth with GMP and spell echo? Also I was wondering what ascendency would work nicely. Perhaps Chieftain?

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I thought you had to place your cursor on/near the corpses to cast Volatile. Also my idea is grabbing Ancestral Bond for +1 totems. My plan is to throw out corpses like a crazy man and have enough totems to keep up with them.

I really just want to see how many orbs I can fill my screen with :orb:

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Fenris13 posted:

If you use Ancestral Bond to create two VD casting totems, you loose out on Cascade, but you no longer have to worry about targeting. You can supplement your totems with self creating corpses, ideally with spell echo-cascade-desecrate, generating 30 corpses at once then having the freedom to be mobile for a few seconds while desecrate is on cooldown may be strong, or it may be better just to self cast unearth. Needs some testing.
I totally forgot spell cascade doesn't work with totems. Seems like this might still work. But you're right, will need to test out some variations of this to see what feels best for me and if it seems to perform well.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Ultima66 posted:

Don't play VD Berserker it's worse at everything than Inquisitor or Necromancer.

I got my first Guardian kill (Hydra) of the league last night with VD, and then bought the helm enchant on a Starkonja's for 13 odd exalts. Currently at 100k average damage per ball with no echo/cascade, so ~600k damage per cast on a 5 link. Cremation doing ~22k per hit with GMP. Died once on the Hydra because I'm a softcore baddie and walked around for a long time with no flask charges on a temp chains map instead of logging out. I'm at 6300 life right now, but if I got better resist gear and leveled up to 95 or so I should easily be able to use jewels that aren't just covering resists and hit around 7000 life with a Carcass Jack, or I could swap out my 6L Cremation setup and wear Kaom's Heart for ~8500 life since I'd already be doing over 2 million Shaper DPS with VD.
Is this all self-cast? I've been toying around with a VD build, and was thinking totems with either Chieftain or Inquis with Ancestral Bond, but PoB doesn't seem to accurately represent the damage unless it's showing me the damage per orb? Did you experiment with any totems builds for this and had to scrap it?

Of course the other alternative seems to the the Poet's Pen shenanigans but those things are 40c a pop and I'm still pretty poor.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I need to know what the Bodyswap uber enchant is more than anything now.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Mr E posted:

I started w/ Baron SRS witch but I got the Baron hat as a drop and even w/o it was only 1c at the beginning of the league. It's pretty fun but Volatile Dead might be better?
Volatile is great too because you can swap in Cremation or Detonate Dead (or Bodyswap with the new enchant?). I thought it was cool when GGG shared that they specifically made all the new skills fire-based so players can swap/play around without respecs or rolling a new character.

My Volatile Totems Chieftain has been a blast this league. It really avoids having to micro manage the targeting of corpses.

Zmej fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 19, 2018

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

The newer/fancy boss fights was one of my favorite parts of 3.0. That and the smoothed out leveling experience made this game go from something I tried and got bored/fed-up with easily for the last year into something I play pretty heavily now.

Sidenote:
I know everyone keeps saying cremation is a supplemental skill or meh, but I'll do my damnest to make something that uses it as a primary next league. And/or bodyswap.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I'm pretty sure magma orb volley or spark deadeye is calling my name as my league starter. I'm excited to see tailwind in action.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I made a quick and dirty magma orb dead eye tree but it feels pretty lacking in defense and the damage calculation seems inaccurate for the extra chain damage.

Anyone else thrown one together?

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Filthy Monkey posted:

Here are my opinions, from looking at builds, playing my own, and running a bunch of PoB numbers.

So is this all in regards to poet's pen VD and bodyswap? I want to try a cremation and bodyswap build, with maybe the cremation enchant for +1 geyser? Seems like it would be great for boss murdering, and might just swap in VD for map clear.

Or is VD just THAT good and seems to clear and kill bosses?

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I was gonna do PP Lightning Warp/Arc but decided I'm too poor to afford the en vogue lightning gear.

I'm gonna do Dark Pact/Skele PP and use Cherubim's. I tried gearing Perfect Form but I'm like 100+ Dex short so I think pathing down to Phase Acro is worth it, paired with MoM. Seems like with a gloomfang for the +1 chain it should be respectable. It's not gonna zoom around like LW or Body Swap in PP, but maybe it will be worth putting in body swap/unearth while clearing and simply weapon swap to another PP with Skellies+Minion life+Empower for bosses?

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I was thinking about doing a minion build as a starter and the amount of crafting control this brings just made me more :getin:

Also, I told myself I didn't need another supporter pack goddamn that Stalker weapon mtx.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I'm an idiot and will make totem scourge arrow work somehow

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I think no one is gonna touch scourge arrow for a bit because 1) caustic arrow and toxic rain have flat degens that make it easy to start with early league and scale, 2) ggg already announced a mid-leage adjustment (something about gmp working on the first shot, spores will spawn between them, and more front loader damage).

People said it's clear is the problem but I'm gonna fiddle with a scourge arrow heiro. I think that will solve it's weak points. Pob makes it hard to judge the dps so I'm going in totally blind.

Zmej fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 1, 2018

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I've done chieftain volatile dead totems which was very fun and was pretty good before the chieftain buffs

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Xeras posted:

I have wanted to play Volatile Dead so badly but have a strange refusal to use Poet's Pens. The only build I could find for VD totems on poeninja is this and it actually looks pretty great. Anyone with actual knowledge of this type of build have any suggestions before I hop into this?
You do not need 4 totems to make it work. You just want two totems, and get lots of cast speed. You will leech from your totems so that scepter seems kinda redundant. I think doryani's catalyst will be your most dps. I bet you could go dual void batteries and go crit, but the cheaper and tankier version will be EO. I did the blood magic and clear mind thing too. I would spring for an Essence Worm and get Anger aura.

The cast speed VD Enchant is usually dirt cheap, so it helps this build a lot. I don't like self-flag, soul mantle, kikazaru. You're sacrificing defense with those ring and chest slots.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Ultima66 posted:

I've been saying that the proposed change to Scourge Arrow doesn't actually do anything useful and somehow it went through anyways. Like holy gently caress if anyone used the skill and thought about it at all it was obvious.

I was expecting this to happen and the reaction to be "wait this isn't useful at all and SA is still hosed around walls" but whatever, I can expect the worst and still be disappointed I guess.
Yea like the only thing they considered was ZiggyD's input which was "I don't liiiiiiiike iiiiiit" and blew past everything else. I'm convinced the 85% attack speed was thrown on last minute because they had no idea what to do during QA

Whatever, the changes made no difference to my plan with it besides causing it to crash so hard people lost their open maps lol

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I got a reliquary key, help what do I do

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I've been trying to scheme up something slightly more engaging with soulwrest. Like amped up proj weakness with occultist and cremation but knock back seems like a bad idea in delves

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I also love cremation but found it hard to use outside of bosses so I think soulwrest can cover its weak spots so I'm really interested to see how that occultist pans out

Zmej fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 19, 2018

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Yea, I've been feeling that delves are tedious, but I realized now as I'm pushing lvl 270 that the diversity kinda sucks leading up to it. I like making pitstops with flares, but I hate searching for hidden paths because it might mean backtracking and going around.

I don't miss the whole "my temple is lovely so just gotta push for the reset". I find it more interesting how Incursion had such poor player retention.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

When I ran howa CI hiero totems last league I used the all unique version that cost me 2 ex. I used a rare 6L chest. You don't get the excellent ele damage reduction of incadescent but you can decide where you want to sink your one big purchase.

Need more damage, go for the helm enchant. If you want more defenses, go for the 6L incadescent.

You will find it does plenty damage and defense without these perfect gear. Use your left over money to experiment with this build and make it your own.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Crafting has been fun with fossils. The only thing I really went ham on was a helmet and abyss jewels. I definitely saved some exalts by crafting jewels.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Ditto. I'm at 394 and vaal cities have been funding my shaped map spamming.

I'm running a howa scion spectral throw, any recommendations to push the damage higher?
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/cheeseNcrak/characters

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

yea, I'm running back-to-back shaped wastepool to go on what seems like a short delve runs at depth 415. I just want to find an Aul but it's getting a little frustrating. I keep on finding that rear end in a top hat architect I don't enjoy the fight because half of the attacks I can barely see or tell where they are gonna land. Also gently caress the degen or whatever on the ground that's barely noticeable.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

whypick1 posted:

What does Ice Golem have over the others in this setup?

from second-hand experience, fire golems' have ranged and melee attacks and you want just the ranged, so you get dps drops when they decide to melee. ice golems with the new amulet that has a poo poo ton of movespeed lets them rocket across the screen killing everything and seems like they do good single target. I think the new accuracy gloves and nodes for minions enabled them too.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I'm just plinking away at my delve hoping to find an Aul or I shell out some dosh for my last challenge to hit 24. I'm delving at about 420 but all I get is loving vaal bosses.

Also, does anyone understand what the mechanics/damage types of the rare in the biggest azurite node challange does? It shoots the slow moving black/purple eyeballs and seems to spawn darkness around him?

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Ledif posted:

e: I also got lucky and found an Aul after a lot of searching, so I didn't have to buy that one. I also am maybe misreading what you're saying - I assumed initially that you were going to buy the Aul kill but it sounds like you're just buying any challenge. If that's the case then feel free to ignore my probably useless advice.

lol that's ok. I appreciate knowing how much an Aul kill is. honestly, I'd just like have the experience of doing it and feeling some sense of "hey my builds panned out just fine". I don't wanna jump on the "gently caress ggg and aul spawn rate" but it is annoying at this point and the league has definitely run it's course for my enjoyment.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I'm wondering they will do anything to self-cast so I don't go poet's pen once again next league.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

hey where did my steam bucks go?

all I want is arctic breath to be legit

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

my failson scourge arrow hiero was converted into poet's pen indigon arc. It was a lot of fun, ate up all my exalts I had accrued and there's several variations you can run.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

MMF Freeway posted:

Yeah idk what the single target of the phantasms is like but bone sculptor is a huge dps boost for skeletons plus all the qol stuff.
I ran occultist soulwrest and the single target seemed quite adequate. I could push it farther if I was a necromancer with more auras, but I was focused on a more defensive build (honestly it's hard to NOT be an occultist for every build I do because amped temp/enfeeble is the best and CI gear was really cheap most of delve).

Zmej fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 20, 2018

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

its too bad totem playstyle feels bad
totems are super smooth with even a moderate amount of placement speed. drop, scoot, drop, scoot, wrack em up

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Maps tab felt pretty worth it within the first minute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I like having an idea, then seeing what's been done before and then use that as a base and I end up making it into my own thing since I've only been playing seriously for a year-ish.