Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I haven't really touched PoE since launch when I decided the currency system was way too indecipherable. It's still indecipherable but I paid a few bucks (JUST missed the sale, apparently) and at least it looks nicer.

As a quick overview, how does a season generally play out? It sounds like people usually level a character with one build that's less item dependent and then use that to gear other characters that are progressively more item dependent?

In comparison with D3 for example, it's not so much that Build B is marginally more powerful than Build A but just trickier to build, but more like Build B is just not realistically possible to complete without a whole lot of farming with Build A, but it's much stronger, not just a little?

And how do the various systems available fit in overall? I mean delving, etc. By analogy, answer to my question for D3 very briefly would be: level character to 70/max, complete season journey, run rifts/bounties to complete build, run GRs to level up gems/farm for better ancient gear, then for augmenting, with end goal to get as high GR clear as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

whypick1 posted:

:words:

Also, you mentioned buying in and missing a sale. Are you referring to stash tabs? Because those go on sale every 3 weekends. There's a pretty regular rotation of weekend sales (this weekend it's hideouts and pets).

Thanks for the overview! I realize that coming into a that's had regular updates for 10 years, it's not really the game's fault that there is so much stuff (some of which may be "obsolete") but it is incredibly overwhelming at first.

And.. yeah, stash tab sale. I guess I'll wait a couple weeks to give them money just before PoE2 comes out (I know it won't be for a while yet but)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
^^^ Thanks! That's uhh.. a lot of stuff. But it's nice that they all stay so I can keep counting on previous league stuff to make things easier.

Rutibex posted:

You don't need any stash tabs until endgame, don't buy anything until you beat act 10. Once you are at maps you will be in for the long haul, and that's when you need to buy an essential tab (the maps tab).

Ah yeah I only bought a currency tab because it's a mess. I figure they deserve at least my 7 (10) bucks.

Also - how should I look at gearing? Just going by the 1-2 builds I've looked at, it looks like overwhelmingly the most important things are to get 5L/6L.. the item itself/base stats matter much less? Should I pay any attention to the dps on the character screen?

I also found this link which went over all the currencies - pretty handy for this newbie.. https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/c9amxj/guide_general_overview_of_the_different_currency/

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 4, 2020

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

:smith: :unsmith:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Tenzarin posted:

Tell me about 6 link lotteries and what it was like before npcs sold gems.

I played PoE at release, then tried it maybe a couple years later, then haven't touched it until about a week or two ago.

Just by the very very little I remember... I ended up with a tab full of gems. Then someone told me they were all sold by NPCs :eng99:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

boo_radley posted:

goddamn, how did this game get off the ground?
Hopefully it didn't take them too long to make vendors sell gems at least.

Well it was free, which meant there's some people that are going to stick with it just because of that. Plus the passive tree was really neat and gave a lot of options, which are always things people enjoy.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I was going to do the whole toxic rain/scourge arrow pathfinder thing and I probably still could with how casual I am with the game but is there another build that plays similarly?

would prefer ranged + chaos damage but I don't mind switching out one of them. Would like to keep at least range OR chaos though. Please remember my username is accurate.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

whypick1 posted:

Ranged + Chaos sounds like a job for Essence Drain/Contagion Trickster.

Thanks! Is it starter friendly with mostly SSF? I'm not actually planning SSF but I don't want to have to spend a lot of time looking for trades, etc.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Cinara posted:

Thanks for elaborating it!

Seconded! It looks like a pretty fun build. A lot of jargon used in PoE with all these different systems of modding items.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

RossCo posted:

So I made people SUPER mad tonight. Found a ring with a 6% increased strength implicit (which I had no idea was a big deal) and listed it at 50c.

Got absolutely blown up, so I asked global what the deal was. Once appropriately educated I relisted at an admittedly high price but with the intention of lowering the price until someone grabbed it.

At that point not one but two different random folks thoroughly exploded at me in whispers. I don't know what unholy cabal I wronged with this, but something about the people who want that ring and thought they could get it at 50c seems to correlate to extreme rage when denied.

drat, just when meme strength stacking becomes a thing, nice timing.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/totalnewbie/characters/totalnewbietr

Did I link my character correctly? I'm using ED and people keep referencing 1m DoT DPS but POB only shows half that. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong in POB or if I'm doing something wrong in my build. I can run through T16 maps no problem (though still die every once in a while..) so I wonder if it's just POB. That said, I feel like single target is really bad (which the guide did say it was). So, I thought I'd check.

this guide btw https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2581551

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Thanks for the feedback, all! Yeah, I know there's definitely room for improvement but it just seemed odd to me that my room for improvement was doubling my DPS when I know that my gear isn't crazy by any means but it's at least decent.

I'm definitely looking into some of the upgrades suggested - thanks again :D

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Alright, I'm back! https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/totalnewbie/characters/totalnewbietr

Just wanna say thanks again to everyone that's offered their advice.

So after all this, things I did:
1. Did I have a 21/20 ED? Well I have one now.
2. Turned on cluster in PoB. 543k -> 611k
3. Ding 94, allocate +3% chaos DoT multi/10% chaos damage. -> 629k
4. Empower finally hits level 3. -> 702k (that's a big jump :O )
5. Replaced amulet with str/life/res/corruption/+1 endurance with.. str/life/+1 int skills/26% spell damage/+1 endurance/corruption/some all resist. -> 822k. That's an even bigger jump :O According to PoB, the 26% spell damage is responsible for 32k of that increase.

I got the amulet with all the prefixes in place for 10ex (+1 int, 26% spell damage, life) and some lovely suffix. Actually, looking at trade, there's a guy selling an amulet with slightly less other stats (+15 all, 44 max life) but it has double hunter influence with 12% chaos DoT multiplier, +1 int spell gem, +16% chaos damage crafted on selling for 6ex. Someone go get on that.. and exalt slam spell damage on it :D

Which.. I feel like I should have multimodded +1 min end and +chaos damage instead of +1 min end and +all res.

But anyway, the point I wanted to make is that I'm a lot closer to the advertised 1 mil dps where I could see a route to hitting that, even if I don't necessarily have the funds for it. But next up I think I'll try to save for a level 4 empower. That puts me up at 900k :O Empower is good, eh.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Hamburger Test posted:

I prefer two 3 sockets, as it is easier to recolour if you decide to level a different combination of gems. And put + gem quality crafts on them when you're doing empower / enlighten.

Not exactly cost-efficient but - 6L +3 bow with level 4 enhance support, 3 white sockets, and +quality craft? I don't know that the enhance support makes up for losing a socket altogether but at least it shows you have more money than sense.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
So I got this for 10c

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

search engine posted:

edit: lol 'Fixed a bug where Simplex Amulet was missing its "25% increased Explicit Modifier Magnitidues" implicit modifier description' I was just wondering today what in the hell kind of twilight zone crafting people were doing that they wanted to have 2 fewer modifiers with no upside.

OH! I found one of those yesterday and was confused as all hell. What the gently caress was the point to just having fewer mods, especially considering cogwork ring exists (-1 prefix/+1 suffix)?

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Finally made an item worth sharing. I shared in 5555 but I figured it's worth posting.

It's not perfect but it feels pretty good.

That's a lot of words but I don't know that I'd use. I don't use minions. :v:

dangling pointer posted:

Somewhat related I wonder what Bex makes. If I was offered his position and told to throw out a number I’d have to think awhile how much I’d need to go to work every morning to get poo poo on by reddit everyday. Really surprised they haven’t lost their mind/quit yet.

I wonder if she even blinked at typing this (or maybe she did it on purpose)

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/jao3ql/3124_deployment_and_full_patch_notes/g8qt9kx/?context=10 posted:

Thanks, SmokeCocks. We are aware people are quite keen to see this feature ASAP.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 14, 2020

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Got a 2ex tip as the bringer of good luck.

He was jumping around swinging his sword over his head - what build is that?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Arrhythmia posted:

What I'm unhappy with about Sirus:

Attacks where you can't hurt him (he loves these...)

Running away and back under his throne (A tax against those who suffer from ataxia, I suppose, but not so much if you have enough brain cells to not run into the big swirling red storm)

The visual design.

Besides that I think it's a pretty fun fight.

Having picked up a melee character (Cyclone/CoC), I'm starting to really dislike abilities that put a warning on the ground and then one-shot you a second later. I simply can't see them.

A8 Sirus is no problem on ed/c because I just cast, run around, and wait, but on melee who actually does comparable damage (if only because ED/C single target is so abysmal), it just feels way worse.

I'm sure I'm just bad but that's my gripe.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I don't mind that, I just want to be able to see the "GET OUT" thing.

Also, I wouldn't mind the leveling experience as much if it weren't such a slog building a character around skills I'm ultimately not going to end up using and then having to swap wholesale. With how difficult it can be to get the right combinations of stuff.. it can just suck so much.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 21, 2020

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
What the hell happened to exalt prices that they're back at 38 lol

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
It slows you down just a little bit but you don't technically have to gear all 5 rogues, just 3, as you can move brooches and stuff around between wings. After you figure out which brooch to move from whom to whom, though, it shouldn't slow you down more than few seconds each wing - in case anyone is doing it on such a tight budget that that matters.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

What you are describing is a form of self-harm.

Please, no kink shaming

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
He spent 970ex trying to craft it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I'm too poor to afford to keep 100% delirium orbing maps and too bad to turn a profit with them (someone teach me the ways) but holy poo poo, I ran a super juiced 100% delirium orb map with nemesis/beyond mods (for the watchstone) and oh my god it was the most fun I think I've had in my short PoE career so far.

What I'm saying is, I wish they would run void leagues forever.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Oh I've run breachstones but they're not nearly as challenging, unless there's really tough breachstones I don't know about?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

whypick1 posted:

Chayula is usually not a picnic for most builds. Have you run Empowered Breachstones?

Apparently not the top tier ones! Thanks.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I just want to give a shoutout to discord, who answered a bunch of stupid questions I had when I started the last couple weeks of Harvest, and then Canis, who taught me a lot about building a character in general, especially this one, and also watched out for good stuff on trade and got some key pieces for me. Also, shoutout to the aura stacking champion guy who gave his gear away when he quit the league which meant I got myself a headhunter. Obviously a huge help but at least with the heist currency grinding, it actually feels acquirable on my own.

POB: https://pastebin.com/BEYfLntF

I need to swap up my ring to drop the cold resist and replace it with something a little more useful. Maybe change the base to a +30 ES instead of crit chance. If I hit 100, which I won't, I'd put it into divine flesh (+12 chaos res) so I could temper the ring for some more defense. Would be nice if I didn't have -attr suffix on the gloves so I could put chaos res on there but alas, harvest is gone.

Anyway! Just wanted to thank everyone.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Aye Doc posted:

e: these are the most pathetic Sirus attempts I've ever seen

He hit Sirus several times for negative damage. Nice.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I added a blue map dot to portal scrolls. They are otherwise very small and faded. That's been really nice and you can probably apply that idea to other stuff.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

totalnewbie posted:

I just want to give a shoutout to discord, who answered a bunch of stupid questions I had when I started the last couple weeks of Harvest, and then Canis, who taught me a lot about building a character in general, especially this one, and also watched out for good stuff on trade and got some key pieces for me. Also, shoutout to the aura stacking champion guy who gave his gear away when he quit the league which meant I got myself a headhunter. Obviously a huge help but at least with the heist currency grinding, it actually feels acquirable on my own.

POB: https://pastebin.com/BEYfLntF

I need to swap up my ring to drop the cold resist and replace it with something a little more useful. Maybe change the base to a +30 ES instead of crit chance. If I hit 100, which I won't, I'd put it into divine flesh (+12 chaos res) so I could temper the ring for some more defense. Would be nice if I didn't have -attr suffix on the gloves so I could put chaos res on there but alas, harvest is gone.

Anyway! Just wanted to thank everyone.

A bit of an update!

https://pastebin.com/ZmWLdaJc

I picked up a hubris circlet with: T1 flat ES, T1 hybrid ES%, T1 ES%, T1 accuracy, T3 Lightning resist, and an open suffix mod for 14ex, I think it was. That's a lot of ES! (346 w/ 30% qual). And I hit 597 accuracy on the roll (481-600) after 3 divines or something. Nice!

With this huge flat accuracy buff, I was able to drop all the accuracy nodes on the left side of the tree (precision, a small, and sanctity) which I had been taking with a thread of hope. I'm still over 100% accuracy (2967 I think is the breakpoint) for non-evasive targets. This let me put transcendent flesh back in for a massive crit multiplier upgrade. If I took those nodes with the transcendent flesh jewel, I would have had to drop arcane potency and lost a bunch of crit multi anyway, which is why I opted to save two points with the thread of hope.

I also picked up a 3 notable large for 24 or 27 ex or something - it's worth 60 - and so have finally freed up 2 points on my large cluster! I took purity of flesh with this for 12% chaos resist. This means I'm able to put tempers on my ring instead of prismatics. My chaos resists now come solely from: 20% prismatic presence of chayula (72%), T1 chaos ring (31%), 3 point small with T1 chaos (16%), purity of flesh (12%), circle of fear implicit (8%). This puts me just over the top.

Conveniently, this frees up a few more points to play with, which means I can now take melding with a 6% energy from within jewel, which is better than the previous thread of hope + foresight. Thread of hope + foresight is still a good option if your base ES is low and you're super starved for points, I think, but strongly depends on individual situation. I also was able to put one into arcane vision, which meant I could replace the helm craft with 30 int.

And lastly.. I swapped my ring from diamond/flat es/es%/coldres/allres/chaosres to moonstone/flat es/es%/fireres/lightningres/chaosres. This lets me use a divergent purity of ice instead of divergent purity of elements. Hmm, you know what, this puts my resists suspiciously close to each other...

17ex on incursion cold res/fire res/and just enough lightning resist gloves later, I realize I'm 3 fire res short. So I spend a bunch of essences on an influenced boot to change from T4 fire res to T3 fire res with CDR. Master crafted on no freeze/no chill/+ms and hit a T1 hybrid ES with the ex slam. Good enough! Then I had to roll my circle of fear to get the cold resist just right, which kind of sucks because my +damage rolls before were really good and now they're just above average (52/54 out of 40-60).

But whatever, now my resists are completely even for wise oak and zod can go gently caress himself for making me do all this.

Thanks for (not) reading! :)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Also, put tranquility on your amulet. Unless someone tells you otherwise but tranquility is good.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
You can scroll up a little to see my CoC assassin build. Budget's a bunch of ex more than yours but something to look at.

A few things:
1. I don't know much about PoE but skitterbots seem totally useless in your build. Why do you have them?
2. Your accuracy is really low. You need, iirc, 2967 accuracy to hit 100%. You should aim for that.
3. You're probably going to want more chaos resist. You can get 72% on Chayula with catalyst.
4. Allocate Tranquility over crystal skin.
5. Vaal Righteous Fire? It adds a lot of DPS against single target.
6. Flesh and Stone is a good defensive option.
7. Consider moving Frostbite off of cospri. It's just a debuff which doesn't stack. Consider (awakened) elemental focus there.
8. Trigger frostbite with: vortex, frostbite, hextouch, and add a bonechill for good measure.
9. Enduring + precise focus mediums will go a long way to improving your survivability and also crit.
10. Increased crit strikes instead of hypothermia. You're missing a ton of crit if you don't have your flasks active. Maybe not an issue while clearing but you also don't need hypothermia while clearing. Same reason to move frostbite off of cospri and onto vortex.

Uhh, other stuff, probably.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 17, 2020

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

search engine posted:

After relentlessly running the "I can do it cheaper -> where did all my money go" routine, I've found that largely true with exceptions for rare jewelry. My needs are usually less specific for those slots, catalyst quality and/or fossils can help focus the crafting, and it's really easy to offload something that turns out to be good but not suited to my build to at worst break even. Take any vermillion ring + 4 fertile catalysts and spam either chaos or spare +stat essences until hitting 70+ life and some combo of stats, resists, and maybe leech or added damage. Usually hit something good within 50c and pretty frequently sell good-but-not-for-me results for 2-3 times that amount. Similar approach with crusader rings + dense fossils, elder leather belts + pristine fossils. The pattern here is that they're all heavily defensive endgame items, so this may be a hardcore-specific niche.

Betrayal's flavor dialogue was similarly well written/performed although smaller scale overall. They've got some consistently good people running that part of the show.

Until you're looking for a ring (like I was) with flat ES, T1 chaos resist, T2/3+ Fire, T2/3+ Lightning, open prefix, and hopefully not a terrible (or just open) third prefix. Then you orb slam it and HOPE you hit the right prefix because if not, time to start over.

But still cheaper to buy a base or at least an annul target than to buy the completed ring.

I think the interesting thing about gearing in PoE is that eventually, at least in my limited (1) experience, your needs become more and more and more specific. Like my helm, I was incredibly lucky to pick up a helm with all 6 mods exactly what I needed. I suppose if either ES mod was a wrong mod then I'd still have a decent helm but not nearly decent enough. Same story with my boots - I had to essence craft because I needed EXACTLY T3 fire resist, T1 CD reduction, open suffix, two open prefixes. Gloves - I needed incursion mod cold resist, T1 fire, exactly T5 lightning or something like that, on fingerless silk gloves.

But that only happened towards the end of my gearing journey. I know I could try to do other stuff like put -cold resist on helm, get power charge helm/ring, etc. but I'm done. But yeah, the gearing progression was pretty fun.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Nov 18, 2020

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Cinara posted:

So China leaked one of the December announcements early. Endless Delve

Heck yeah! I wanted to try to make a deep delver so that would be AWESOME.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Make blight a true endless TD. Bring it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
And maps keep getting delirium added with some other mechanics but it'll be the true Atlas experience.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
What are some good delve builds?

The spark thing I've seen, someone mentioned cold dot occultist - anything else?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I'm going to play Mayhem with zero planning. Wish me luck.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

No Safe Word posted:

same, also SSF HC because why not

You madman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Dance Officer posted:

How easy is it to craft an ed/c bow? Thinking of farming cards for that ilvl 50 bow during the story and crafting it asap.

The easy one is super easy.

The more difficult one takes more work but it not too bad, I think.