Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominionix
Feb 27, 2007

Because you touch yourself at night...

Donnerberg posted:

Can you make suicide bomber trucks?

Not sure about the exploding part but I watched one plough in to about eight teammates last night, which given they only cost something like 100 basic materials to make seems like a reasonable use of resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I fired this up and ran around some town for 6 minutes not knowing what to do or how to equip my pistol. Two gentlemen were discussing grenade launchers by some building I couldn't use and I also couldn't get my mic to work. Some European kid pulled up in a truck and told me to get in, which I did not.

9/10, I think I need some goon guidance tho.

Bro, the game recommends a tutorial to you and shows a pop-up with all the controls when you join a server. They're also at the bottom left whenever you're near an interactable object and you can check all your keybindings in the options. How much more handholding do you need? A personal tutor?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Donnerberg posted:

Despite my very good advice, I haven't played yet, and I have an important question.

Can you make suicide bomber trucks?

not at this time I don't think, that being said, I dodged in and around a bunch of their pillboxes last night and got into one of the enemy trucks which turned out to have about 800-900 materials in it

which promptly got blown up by their pillboxes

also good poo poo last night guys. I got to play logisticmans and bring people materials / spawns to use, i got to harass and destroy enemy supply lines with werkwerk and killeroflawyers, and I got to get in a big rear end fight over a base we made

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I fired this up and ran around some town for 6 minutes not knowing what to do or how to equip my pistol. Two gentlemen were discussing grenade launchers by some building I couldn't use and I also couldn't get my mic to work. Some European kid pulled up in a truck and told me to get in, which I did not.

9/10, I think I need some goon guidance tho.

def watch the youtube tutorial they recommend, but other than that, if you are on when I am tonight, I can help you out

Trizzdog
May 5, 2014
Original Proprietor of Space Dank

On one hand with the suicide trucks, trucks are so fragile I wouldn't mind such a feature gameplay wise, on the other hand, that's an antithesis to the flavour of the game, unless we want to go the "how desperate are you to end the forever war" route...

... Wait, the team killing potential. Oh my god, no.

On a more serious note, again, the goon discord is both a good place to learn how to play, and find out where the hell we're actually playing and planning to do.

justsharkbait
Dec 20, 2013

HOO HA HA
Grimey Drawer
My first experience with this game was getting run over on a bridge. :)

Second experience was telling my team to not go down the road I was on due to enemy fortifications.

This was followed by a truck and motorcycle full of my team flying past and blowing up.... :bravo:

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Don't put building materials in the town hall. Don't put building materials in the town hall. DON'T PUT THEM IN THE TOWN HALL.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Bro, the game recommends a tutorial to you and shows a pop-up with all the controls when you join a server. They're also at the bottom left whenever you're near an interactable object and you can check all your keybindings in the options. How much more handholding do you need? A personal tutor?

I did watch, and things made sense, maybe I just spawned in a weird spot? I'll hop on tonight and give it a whirl.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Don't put building materials in the town hall. Don't put building materials in the town hall. DON'T PUT THEM IN THE TOWN HALL.

When I transport materials I refuse. I tell them they need to make me a chest in a safe-ish spot. if they say no I just take them somewhere else they're needed

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The main exception is at the town hall, where I will occasionally deposit them. I do that because people want to make trucks, and if you just throw it all in a chest you have a hundred chucklefucks just leaving trucks everywhere, but if they have to take it out 10 at a time, the people who actually want a truck will use them

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad
Anyone tried to use a steam controller? Any success?

And I bought it last night and installed. Ready to join you guys. Do I just check the discord/mumble to join with goons?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Playing this with a controller sounds like a nightmare

Rebinding the rotate camera left and right from , and . is a step in the right direction rhough

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

This game is absolutely awesome. The sheer amount of rage from teammates, simcity-ing and accidental team kills is hilarious.

Not to mention the in-game VOIP allows you to insult the enemy team.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dominionix posted:

Not sure about the exploding part but I watched one plough in to about eight teammates last night, which given they only cost something like 100 basic materials to make seems like a reasonable use of resources.

Goddamn I must admit watching is one thing but everyone explode over VoIP so much better.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Tab8715 posted:

This game is absolutely awesome. The sheer amount of rage from teammates, simcity-ing and accidental team kills is hilarious.

Not to mention the in-game VOIP allows you to insult the enemy team.

Was hanging out by a wall and heard a squad of enemies talking about just narrowly escaping a tank attack.

Tried to ambush them but I got shot to death oh well

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

That would have been the perfect time to round the corner in a tank and run them all over.

edit: Also while screaming like a banshee

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 1, 2017

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

I rolled up to a fuel spot with a friend in a truck, we both went to collect fuel when some other guy next to us started screaming someone stole the fuel from his truck and blamed me for it. I told him it wasn't me but he didn't believe me. Every time he saw me anywhere on the map he called me fuel thief from that point on.

Demicol fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 1, 2017

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Why the gently caress would you steal fuel if you're mining it? It's infinite.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!
So mortars are baller. Once you farm the shells and get set up with a spotter its a killfarm. As it should because getting the gear together is work.

Gas grenades are something else. They're cheap and simple and they kill the gently caress out of everyone because people don't have gasmasks. They either sit behind cover and die or go running. And they kill people inside halftracks.

But the best thing is chucking them where you *think* enemies are, and then you hear a bunch of panicked shouting in voip.

Klisejo fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 2, 2017

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

Klisejo posted:

So mortars are baller. Once you farm the shells and get set up with a spotter its a killfarm. As it should because getting the gear together is work.

Gas grenades are something else. They're cheap and simple and they kill the gently caress out of everyone because people don't have gasmasks. They either sit behind cover and die or go running. And they kill people inside halftracks.

But the best thing is chucking them where you *think* enemies are, and then you hear a bunch of panicked shouting in voip.

pro as hell spotting here. hearing the explosion from the mortar shells then hearing voip go insane is the best.

also, able2 wardens is where we have been. somehow, being horribly undersupplied at all times, we've managed to hold the colonials off and we hit day 129. here's hoping we can last another night.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The game is freaking amazing. I just wish they keep tweaking the in-game economics - let resources costs scale - at some points you have way too many supply trucks, etc. Adjust UI elements - maximize and minimize the chat screen.

Environmental Destruction would also be nice.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

There seems to be some environmental destruction, we were fighting over a bridge for so long it blew up.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012
I made a bunch of radios :toot:

Captian Kil
Nov 2, 2011

I jumped on last night for my first game. It's really good fun hoofing it with a large squad, but once you get separated... hoo boy is it frustrating. One thing I'm finding tricky is your the limited sight range. Do Bincos let you see a lot further? I keep getting killed by foxholes or pillboxes since I don't see them until it's too late. Is there also a trick to seeing people in foliage? Was running with Quioran (?) who got gunned down by someone in a bush, and all I could do was run around in circles in a panic.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Played my first night last night - overall it was fun but there certainly is a bit of a learning curve, especially with the hotkeys and some of the lingo. A brief rundown:
  • Terry and I picked up a bunch of materials and walked to a town, very slowly. We talked about how this was "the real war" on the way.
  • After making a truck, we were tasked to create HE grenades. Terry ran over many, many people.
  • We managed to get the grenades made, however whatever purpose they were for had since past.
  • We blew up a gate with the grenades.
  • Terry and I got separated, I wound up marching with somebody who was the rank of Sargent.
  • Sarge made me carry equipment because I was a noob, but I enthusiastically responded "yes sir!" at every order, which impressed him.
  • I am recommended for promotion due to my ability to follow simple commands.
  • We establish a forward base. I wander off into enemy territory and steal 400 units of gas somehow.
  • I skirmish with a few of the enemy, I die.
  • I meet up with a British Sarge who is trying to take a town. I help him do so and he gives me some game pointers, he is my favorite person in the game so far.
  • He dies.

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad
I played a little bit, but my connection sucks so much it was rubber band city for me.

Fun game though, the colonial base on the server I was on was pushed all the way back, and then an outpost ended up as the main base.

What are the win conditions in this?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is there a trick for aiming? Do I just place the crosshair over my target and hope for the best?

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

Big Black Brony posted:

I played a little bit, but my connection sucks so much it was rubber band city for me.

Fun game though, the colonial base on the server I was on was pushed all the way back, and then an outpost ended up as the main base.

What are the win conditions in this?

all towns must be captured. if you pushed into their HQ and they did not own anything else, a new townhall must be built on top of their HQ townhall.

Tab8715 posted:

Is there a trick for aiming? Do I just place the crosshair over my target and hope for the best?

pretty much. i usually aim behind them as it will aim at the elevation the mouse is at, but there's still inaccuracy.

also carbines fire faster but do less damage and are less accurate than rifles. storm rifles are OP.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
A good soldier man game, I like.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
The logistical supply side of the equation seems so very important, based on my limited playing. I would think a smooth operating logistical support team can facilitate a steamroll, even if your front line isn't the best.

Doubleumc
Jun 3, 2006
It absolutely is. No matter how strong your shooter skills are if you don't have the weapons, ammo, and spawn supplies to take advantage of it then you're not going to be able to contribute to the battle. In my experience it is very rare for a fight to be lost due to lack of player interest, usually it is due to a lack of materiel for said players to spawn and equip themselves.

This is the kind of game where it is absolutely viable to engage in attrition warfare. Even if it feels like your team is made up by a gaggle of dunces who got lost on the way back to the short bus (i.e. all the time) so long as they are a well supplied gaggle of dunces and the enemy isn't then your opponent will eventually lose the ability to resist. It's hard to overstate how big of an advantage a bedroll and a rifle is over an enemy without either, and similarly it's hard to overstate how big of an advantage having a bedroll, rifle, supporting mortar and grenade fire and vehicle support is over an enemy with only the bedroll and rifle. The better supplied your side is the more combat effective they become. A good logistics team can make or break a campaign.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's utterly impressive sometimes to see player fortifications in towns. I swear to God they often look like designed levels in top down games.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
spotting for mortars and howitzers is real good fun

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
God trying to get a perfect shot when your team mates keep jiggling into your line of sight is irritating as hell.

Also, it takes only three shots to mortally wound yeah?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

SeanBeansShako posted:

God trying to get a perfect shot when your team mates keep jiggling into your line of sight is irritating as hell.

Also, it takes only three shots to mortally wound yeah?

As a follow up question, do you heal over time? Like if it takes 3 shots to make me bleed and I take 2, am I guaranteed to bleed on the next hit if it happens an hour from now?

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!
So, a wishlist:

A. Goonsquad barracks hidden in a corner of the rear stocked with mortar and satchel crates

2. Some kind of shared map tool. With easy drag and drop icons to map fortifications. As games progress and everyone starts digging in, it'd be nice to have some gist of where enemy walls, bunkers, tunnels, and watchtowers are.

D. A timer on said map for the sulfur nodes

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

also trains

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Also being able to just see your squad mates on the map would be glorious

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

automaticswim posted:

also carbines fire faster but do less damage and are less accurate than rifles. storm rifles are OP.

I've found Storm Rifles to be incredibly rare and not at all that accurate.

In other news, I used the Field Machine Gun on a chokepoint and kept killing mans - probably over a dozen until they figured that pile of dead bodies meant something.

My last issue in the game is why my shots are going over people? Do bullets go pasts the first screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Tab8715 posted:

I've found Storm Rifles to be incredibly rare and not at all that accurate.

In other news, I used the Field Machine Gun on a chokepoint and kept killing mans - probably over a dozen until they figured that pile of dead bodies meant something.

My last issue in the game is why my shots are going over people? Do bullets go pasts the first screen?

Switch to semi auto mode