Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This is almost as bad as Coven. Almost.

We still got some time tho. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!
Didn't they do the "pet in a microwave" thing back in Murder House? Only it was a fakeout with a tomato or something?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Vintersorg posted:

This is almost as bad as Coven. Almost.

We still got some time tho. Holy poo poo.

It's better because it makes me laugh at least whereas Coven was just hours and hours of boring poo poo apart from Kathy Bates and Lily Rabe.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

This season is not great but I'm laughing a lot so I'll keep watching

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

clown shoes posted:

Why would you have a rule about pet names if you don't allow pets?

Because it's demeaning to the animal that you are not allowed to have - that poor disgusting guinea pig that shits everywhere whenever it blinks deserves respect!

But honestly she did mention dander allergies and guinea pigs do poo poo A LOT, everywhere and are virtually impossible to box train, (not to mention the anal gland expulsions that they frequently have to have :barf: ) . - With Ally though, the allergies are probably imagined. But it fits well into the story because I can't think of a worse pet to give to someone with dander issues (That of course is referring to common house or caged pets.)

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 22, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wamsutta posted:

This season is not great but I'm laughing a lot so I'll keep watching

Yeah it's most definitely trash but it's trash with a consistent story and characters and an ability to be tense and shocking when necessary which alone puts it above some of the other seasons. Although even Coven hadn't fully imploded by 3 episodes so who knows.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 22, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This is great. Seconding everyone saying it feels like a season of Scream Queens, though. Just a toned down one.

e: also it makes me want to watch Popular real bad

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

So. Much. Dumb. poo poo.

Cops across the street because someone was just murdered. "Ozzie stay here alone in the porch!" Oh no where has Ozzie gone no one could have predicted this!!!

Look at this weird thing driving down our street spraying gas with green led lighting! Multiple times! Nobody will believe me about it! If only everyone carried something on them at all times that has the ability to record things!!

This show is so bad.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Tiny Lowtax posted:

So. Much. Dumb. poo poo.

Cops across the street because someone was just murdered. "Ozzie stay here alone in the porch!" Oh no where has Ozzie gone no one could have predicted this!!!

Look at this weird thing driving down our street spraying gas with green led lighting! Multiple times! Nobody will believe me about it! If only everyone carried something on them at all times that has the ability to record things!!

This show is so bad.

Yeah, finally caught up on the episode and I was yelling at the TV the entire time. She was even using the phone the moment it appeared!

This is the first season I might not finish because its terrible, and I'm one of the ones that liked the Coven and Hotel seasons. I'm kinda rooting for the lesbians to die so I can buy that house, though.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Tiny Lowtax posted:

So. Much. Dumb. poo poo.

This show is so bad.

Also they live on a suburban street where there are only two occupied houses, their own and their rear end in a top hat neighbors just across the street. And nobody else in the neighborhood ever sees anything weird happening. Not one other person noticed an ice cream van full of clowns, or a weird truck spraying green gas and guys in hazmat suits walking through their yards with foggers.

I'm predicting that Kai and Winter will move across the street and will continue to be the only other people in residence on that entire block.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

King Vidiot posted:

Not one other person noticed an ice cream van full of clowns, or a weird truck spraying green gas and guys in hazmat suits walking through their yards with foggers.

I don't think anyone else *can* see the gas truck (at least for now). I don't have the episode handy to check but I seem to remember that when Ally was rescued from getting knocked over, at no point was her rescuer framed with the truck or acknowledged its existence in any way.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Tiny Lowtax posted:

So. Much. Dumb. poo poo.

This show is so bad.

this is not unique to this season, look at how contrived the show got to keep the family in the murder house, lol

just strap in and enjoy ryan murphy's beautiful trainwreck imo

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

haveblue posted:

I don't think anyone else *can* see the gas truck (at least for now). I don't have the episode handy to check but I seem to remember that when Ally was rescued from getting knocked over, at no point was her rescuer framed with the truck or acknowledged its existence in any way.

I kind of thought that too. She almost got run over by a giant gently caress off truck and her wife didn't even acknowledge, just acted like she tripped.

Also yeah your wife got fingerbanged by another woman and that sucks. But loving acknowledge the fact that SOMEONE PUT A CAMERA IN YOUR BATHROOM THEN PUT THAT VIDEO ONLINE.

END OF AN ERROR fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 25, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

stone cold posted:

just strap in and enjoy ryan murphy's beautiful trainwreck imo

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This season is so great!

Grocery guy is part of the cult and the clowns really were there in the grocery store. They pretty much showed who 3 of the clowns are also. If the grocery guy truly toxxed for Trump he should of not cut his arm off though. Also how the one wife already knew the babysitter before they hired her. The other wife might also already be in the cult too.

Hang on the other wife is already in the cult, lol. She set up the Mexican worker getting shot! drat!

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 27, 2017

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

This season is so great!

Grocery guy is part of the cult and the clowns really were there in the grocery store. They pretty much showed who 3 of the clowns are also. If the grocery guy truly toxxed for Trump he should of not cut his arm off though. Also how the one wife already knew the babysitter before they hired her. The other wife might also already be in the cult too.

Yeah. The timeline on the wife actually converting to the cult might be a little bit of a stretch though. But you can see the fractures were already there in their relationship. Still a bit weird some of them would join into the cult when they were ardent Hillary supporters, and be in the cult with each other all things considered.

But I probably shouldn't really be thinking about things too much, my bad.

Numberwang
Sep 2, 2016
This was easily the best episode of the season so far. I know the show is (and will remain) completely absurd. But this was way more grounded than the previous episodes. I hope they continue to focus more on the cult itself and less on the lesbian couple. I don't know if I can handle one more "am I going crazy or is this really happening" scene.

The only thing that annoyed me with this episode was the line, "are you gonna watch?". Horrible delivery of a joke that didn't need to exist.

Anyway, as much as I'm enjoying the show so far, I'm sure it will lose me at some point. I've never been able to finish an entire season of AHS, not even Asylum.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Chaz Bono has been a delight tbqh.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
I guess it's possible that Ivy isn't in with the cult and merely kept quiet about Winter because they had committed a fairly serious crime. Maybe Winter is indeed blackmailing her with that and got the job as a result.

I don't know, the idea that literally everyone but Ally is in on it and are torturing her doesn't feel right anymore. What's the endgame? Unless, they go full cult and Kai somehow worships Ally as some kind of messiah of fear that he has to help realize her full potential. Knowing this show, they could go that route (and then end on an underwhelming note.)

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

These last two episodes have been everything I hoped they could be.
Yes, it's awful TV, but it's exactly awful enough to be wonderfully entertaining.

The abject horror in this season is obviously political polarisation, and the jibes at the left and right have been spot on.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 28, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm loving Peters this season. Can't wait to see his spin on Charlie Manson, and all the other cult leaders he apparently plays this season.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

This episode was extremely good. This season as a whole is shaping up to be one of my favorites.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CODChimera posted:

Still a bit weird some of them would join into the cult when they were ardent Hillary supporters, and be in the cult with each other all things considered.

Kai is collecting people at the moment they feel the most powerless, that happens to people on both sides.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Great episode! Altho Peters eye vein fucks me up hardcore.

:magical:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

haveblue posted:

Yeah it's most definitely trash but it's trash with a consistent story and characters and an ability to be tense and shocking when necessary which alone puts it above some of the other seasons. Although even Coven hadn't fully imploded by 3 episodes so who knows.

Ivy better be in the cult the whole time at this point. Otherwise her acting like she doesn't know Winter would make no sense.

Khablam posted:

These last two episodes have been everything I hoped they could be.
Yes, it's awful TV, but it's exactly awful enough to be wonderfully entertaining.

"Get woke, motherfucker!"

Did I miss something about the language limitation changes? They were swearing like it was HBO.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sebzilla posted:

It's better because it makes me laugh at least whereas Coven was just hours and hours of boring poo poo apart from Kathy Bates and Lily Rabe.

This season the show is a comedy. It's absolutely not even trying to hide it, just playing JUUUUUUUST seriously enough I think a lot of extremists will read it as supporting their ideology or take it literally but it is absolutely not remotely serious.

Coven tried to be more grounded. Oh boy, was it worse for it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

Coven tried to be more grounded.

I agree with everything else you're saying, but Coven was one of the least grounded things Ryan Murphy ever produced. Between Minotaur voodoo sex, talking heads, death by bees, famous jazz loving axe murderers becoming trapped inside walls, BALENCIAGA!... ever other scene was outrageously OTT. If anything, it was exhausting.

Despite also being a comedy season, this year the show has been far more grounded -- there's not even been anything supernatural yet -- but I also think it's been funny and good. If it continues like this, I'd feel comfortable suggesting it go up there with Seasons Two and Six (AKA, the more or less successful ones).

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Open Source Idiom posted:

I agree with everything else you're saying, but Coven was one of the least grounded things Ryan Murphy ever produced. Between Minotaur voodoo sex, talking heads, death by bees, famous jazz loving axe murderers becoming trapped inside walls, BALENCIAGA!... ever other scene was outrageously OTT. If anything, it was exhausting.

Despite also being a comedy season, this year the show has been far more grounded -- there's not even been anything supernatural yet -- but I also think it's been funny and good. If it continues like this, I'd feel comfortable suggesting it go up there with Seasons Two and Six (AKA, the more or less successful ones).

Oh I guess grounded was a bad choice of words. I meant there was stuff we were supposed to take seriously, like it was supposed to actually be taken as some way other than funny.

This season is all about comedy on top of what would be horror set pieces. We've all seen the "Saw your own limb off if you want to live" trope a million times, but making it so he could VOOOOOTE was loving comedy gold. Every horrorific thing that happens is somehow hilarious or darkly humorous, or attempting to be.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
The horror is the reality of the power of manipulation and study of the people we see every day. The level of absurdity mixes well with the comedy, to make palatable a social possibility

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Blazing Ownager posted:

Ivy better be in the cult the whole time at this point. Otherwise her acting like she doesn't know Winter would make no sense.

That is absolutely the implication and also explains both how the cult keeps getting into the house and all the scenes where Ally sees something and other characters don't acknowledge it.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Blazing Ownager posted:

"Get woke, motherfucker!"

Did I miss something about the language limitation changes? They were swearing like it was HBO.

FX is cable so they aren't governed by the FCC, only their sponsors. If the ratings are good enough, companies who buy commercial airtime don't care about a couple F-bombs per episode.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It really does seem like they are swearing so much more. I am just waiting for nudity now.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Blazing Ownager posted:

This season the show is a comedy. It's absolutely not even trying to hide it, just playing JUUUUUUUST seriously enough I think a lot of extremists will read it as supporting their ideology or take it literally but it is absolutely not remotely serious.

I don't think most extremists (of either side) will like it. Anyone too far up their own rear end in a top hat is going to think the other side is being portrayed fairly while their own side is being mocked.

lol

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

evan_peters_humping_tv.gif

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Ivy is in on it. She has been setting up her wife. This whole idea of taking the fear of one woman and using it as a catalyst to spread like a contagion across the world that Kai talks about - there's a specific plan here. If you go back and watch the scene where Kai throws a latte at them, look at Ivy's reaction. She knows him. She's wondering why he is doing this. Not angry, confused.

This season is much more thought out than people have been giving it credit for.

As for the clowns - green hair is Billy Eichner, lady with exposed shoulders is his beardwife, hands-mask is the tv reporter. Kai has the round mask with multiple faces - note the long noses just like he draws on his smiley faces. The 5th clown who was buttfucking green-hair is about the right height and build to be the psychiatrist. He can't be the policeman, who is too tall to be #5 but too short to be green-hair.

The 6th clown with the yellow knit mask has only been seen by himself - once at Ivy's restaurant and once at Ivy's house - but I don't think it's Ivy because she can't be in two places at once. In his one line he sounds like the psychiatrist. So maybe the 5th clown is someone we don't know yet.

Also I think the censors allow them only one f-bomb per episode.

bad day fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 29, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The only iffy part for me with Ivy being in on the cult is all the poo poo happening with their kid, like her letting him see the poo poo he's seen. Though, until proven otherwise, I'm assuming that's Winter doing her own poo poo anyway and not part of Kai's plan. Or at least not a part Ivy is privy to.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I haven't rewatched episode 3 but most scenes with Ivy are plausible as her knowingly gaslighting her wife - except her conversation with the psychiatrist in episode 2. The way they are talking doesn't make sense unless Ivy doesn't know he is also part of the group. Maybe Winter is her contact point, and she isn't down with the clown at that point.

It seems like the general trend is that a lot of things that seemed silly and incongruous actually were that way and not just dumb tv. Note how Billy Eichner's dialogue is less dumb in episode four - at all other times we only see him through interactions with Paulson. Look at the blackout scene again and how the neighbors pop over to yell a bunch of paranoid poo poo, offer (drugged?) candles, then sneak in the house and frighten her into getting the gun. It's all very deliberate.

As far as exposing her son to three murders so far - those didn't happen when Ivy or the clown that might be her were present. She definitely manipulates him into guilting Paulson into the meat locker though.

There's definitely more to this - Ivy's house and restaurant - their insane lifestyle as pointed out in this thread - MUST be her wife's money. Ivy came up in the restaurant industry. And she has a terrible wife, who's obsessed with politics over everything else.

Rewatching the first three after episode four is really cool though - there are a lot of scenes I thought were bad that completely make sense now.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

esperterra posted:

The only iffy part for me with Ivy being in on the cult is all the poo poo happening with their kid, like her letting him see the poo poo he's seen. Though, until proven otherwise, I'm assuming that's Winter doing her own poo poo anyway and not part of Kai's plan. Or at least not a part Ivy is privy to.

If Ivy knew the clowns were real then she would know her kid was telling the truth when he said he saw clowns murder the neighbours. I guess either the cult is compartmentalized enough that she doesn't know the clowns are real, or else she is in so deep that she doesn't mind her son getting the poo poo scared out of him.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I think there's more to this marriage than we've actually seen. Allyson (note: ALLY) is delusional and self-centered with an external locus of control. All we know about the previous 8 years of marriage (and the 7 years before then) comes from Ally's conversation with the therapist. If you go back and watch 1-3 it seems like she's fed up with Allies in general - who can only react and take symbolic action, having no agency. What read to me as "concerned wife distressed by her partner's annoying mental illness" on first viewing is actually Ivy winding up Ally if you watch again.

Ally ONLY really cares about herself and what she has to say. She's the least racist person on Earth. Even in the polling booth she can't muster the strength to not opinionate. Literally the only important thing to her is what she thinks about the world. Imagine being married to someone like that, how much you'd grow to hate them over time, needing them to support your child, to pay for your lifestyle.

But Kai watches people and those around them and has chosen Ally to do something. He's not going to kill her. He needs her as some kind of catalyst?

Also the way cults work is they often control people with sex - creating a permissive environment then taking it away, using sex as indoctrination. Manson would deliberately seek out unattractive girls and bang them in front of a mirror telling them to imagine he's their dad. We see Winter mimicking her brother with Ivy in the restaurant. Maybe this started out as an affair?

I'm excited to find out. This is a cool show - I quite liked Roanoke but that didn't get interesting for me until the format started changing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Assuming she's in on it, Ivy probably thinks it's for the best that she's with them instead of against them, and is thinking of Oz with that logic. Plus, she can actually have a modicum of control that ensures they don't harm him (the one did tell him he was dreaming rather calmly.)

• Locked thread