Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

esperterra posted:

I love them being vengeful, campy cunts in Coven tbh but I am lesbian with the brain of a gay man so it hits all my pleasure triggers at once.

Coven is a loving mess but it's one of my favourites, sloppy as it is.

e: I also don't agree with the idea the season makes women look bad. Maybe if it were a show where everyone but them was written 'normal', but it's AHS and everyone is always a melodramatic manipulator or written in a way that comes off as a bad person, so seems like a stupid thing to complain about

Yeah, when every single person in the entire show is a woman - there are going to be jerk chicks and cool chicks etc.

I have to ask though, has there ever been a fairy tale where an evil DAD locked up or otherwise screwed over his 3 sons? If they came back vengeful, would they be "cunty bitches"or cool dudes that deserve some sweet revenge?

The two main story-lines in Coven are the original young chick who is the audience entrance to the whole thing, who just wants to survive etc. and the other story-line is the older witch who would do anything to maintain her youth vs. the daughter who would do anything to have a baby. I really don't see how any of this is "catty bitches who manipulate in order to get sex".

I'm only at episode 4 but I feel like I have been remembering this properly so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DoggPickle posted:

Is there a single man that has any impact on the story? Is it 2% possible that this season doesn't resonate with half the world because there is absolutely no one for men to attach to? I seriously never looked at it that way before. Now I'm betting that it was brought up at some time, long ago, many times, especially here, but I'm still having a hard time thinking of any show that had less men, and I've been watching a lot of TV for a very long time.

The axe murderer is pretty significant. He's only around for a small part of the season though.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The only other significant male characters are Paulson's husband and his witch hunting fam, but they get built up as maybe a threat ?? then die unceremoniously.

e: also lbr AHS has barely ever courted straight men as an audience, so Coven not having much to appeal to them is no big deal. AHS' demo primarily being women and gay men is also why Coven did so well, because while it was nonsense it was fabulous nonsense.

also that's not to say straight men or gay men who aren't into divas don't watch AHS, but I imagine they're a much smaller part of the demo and tbh other than Alexandra Breckinridge in season one and maybe Lily Rabe in season two, there's never been much overt 'straight' eye candy on this show ever. It's always been gay as gently caress. Like there are always sexy, fabulous women but very rarely are they portrayed as sex objects the way men are.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 20, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/943203050310602752

This reminded me of AHS. I think the nearly identical brown haired hotties peaked with Hotel. We get it, you have a type.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Lily Rabe in Coven >>> all

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

sebzilla posted:

that’s a weird way to spell “angela bassett in any season, especially hotel tho”

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

sebzilla posted:

Lily Rabe any season >>> all

But yah Misty was top tier.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i liked that the witches were basically Sith in Coven

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

thread makin' me want to watch Coven again... I haven't watched it since it aired. I thought it was awful, but also.. good. I'm a straight while male

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Last Chance posted:

I'm a straight while male

Are you sure?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

sebzilla posted:

The way her story ended was not cool. She did not deserve that.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

the truth posted:

The way her story ended was not cool. She did not deserve that.

She deserved to lez it up with Sarah Paulson, that seemed like one of the many things they kind of built up maybe, then forgot about.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
The best moment in the whole series is when it's movie night at the asylum and demon-possessed Lily Rabe has to be called away from watching the movie.

"But they were just about to feed the christians to the lions!"

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ugh Lily Rabe is so good. I still say the show feels her loss as a regular way more than Lange. For me anyway.

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I was desperate for Vera Farmiga to take over the Lange type role, she would be fantastic. Oh well, as long as I have me some Evan Peters I'm happy.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

supernatural blonde posted:

I was desperate for Vera Farmiga to take over the Lange type role, she would be fantastic. Oh well, as long as I have me some Evan Peters I'm happy.

Vera would fit so goddamn well on this show. Now she's done with Bates I would love for it to happen.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Lily Rabe not being a series regular is the real American Horror Story.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

the truth posted:

Lily Rabe not being a series regular is the real American Horror Story.

#RabeOrWeRiot

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I have all of cult sitting on my DVR, is it worth watching?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

That depends, do you enjoy watching TV?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Facebook Aunt posted:

That depends, do you enjoy watching TV?

I do! So I'm assuming that means don't watch it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SalTheBard posted:

I do! So I'm assuming that means don't watch it.

It's pretty good TV. Pretty good American Horror Story. Manages to keep one storyline going from beginning to end, unlike many seasons of AHS. Avoids climbing up it's own rear end and manages to come to a reasonably satisfying conclusion.

Not really horror though. Certainly not spooky horror.

Worth a watch.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I did like Cult quite a bit. Evan Peters finally gets a good main role again. It's very cheesy at times, but surprisingly coherent and my biggest complaint about the previous seasons really boil down to how incoherent they were.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
AHS certainly shines brighter when Evan is doing things on screen

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
I'd say Peters is really the shining star of the series, opposed to Lange or Paulson.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

OmegaBR posted:

I'd say Peters is really the shining star of the series, opposed to Lange or Paulson.

He really is one of the foundations of this show. I liked Roanoake, but he needed to be in it more (or at all rly he was barely a thing).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
AHS Season 8 will be in THE FUTURE *theremin noises* (but not in space, so whoever speculated about that earlier is out of luck). After that is probably the Murderhouse/Coven crossover season we were warned about promised.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Maybe AHS: Black Mirror?

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

AHS: Black Mirror would just be a ten hour version of Too Many Cooks with episode breaks.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I'm gonna guess dystopian. There's tons of tropes to mine and 90% of AHS is just finding a horror sub-genre and grabbing everything they can from it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
AHS: Monkey Loves You

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
AHS set in a Fallout-like dystopia that plays on the unknown terrors of a wasteland where it's every man for themselves, drawing parallels to the birth of the nation when it was pilgrimage into savage territory ... could be pretty neat.

That being said, it'll probably be set ten years from now with a bunch of quips about how Trump ruined the country and opened the door for actual monsters to invade or something.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OmegaBR posted:

AHS set in a Fallout-like dystopia that plays on the unknown terrors of a wasteland where it's every man for themselves, drawing parallels to the birth of the nation when it was pilgrimage into savage territory ... could be pretty neat.

That being said, it'll probably be set ten years from now with a bunch of quips about how Trump ruined the country and opened the door for actual monsters to invade or something.

If they're going to do the Trump thing they should take the Hardcore Prophecy thing that was stickied forever in GBS and make it into the season

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SalTheBard posted:

I have all of cult sitting on my DVR, is it worth watching?

It's the best season since Asylum. Though I have to warn it will seem cheesy as all gently caress for the first episode or so, until you kind of get the vibe of what they are going for.

There's lot of extreme alt-right and special-snowflake left talk that seems like the show runners are being sincere about it, but then you realize the entire season is a middle finger to all modern politics, while pouring gasoline on them and lighting them on fire and it becomes some really amusing black comedy.

Last Chance posted:

thread makin' me want to watch Coven again... I haven't watched it since it aired. I thought it was awful, but also.. good. I'm a straight while male

Coven is up there with Heroes Season 3, Dexter and honestly Walking Dead these days.

Nothing makes loving sense, plot points come out of nowhere, major characters die off screen as an afterthought. The character motivations are random, the plot is random, the side-plots are random. It builds towards 10 stories and never tells any of them: The witch war, the hunters, all of it.. just comes and goes in the dumbest loving ways.

It is in my opinion the FAR AND AWAY worst season of American Horror Story, "trainwreck watching" level. It just did stupid poo poo for the sake of doing stupid poo poo, like the murder vagina or how the show built up a really interesting well-done character arc for one of the most racist people on the planet changing her ways only to undo it in the last minute out of nowhere.

gently caress Coven. It's real bad. Freak Show may be dull a lot and somewhat random but it has nothing on Coven.

PS: My favorite stupid poo poo with Coven is how Peters character was mind controlled in the first part of the finale easily by the Beverly-Hillish Witch. Then he goes to kill her later and suddenly she can't do telekinesis or mind control on the guy for no reason whatsoever. Everything was like that. And endless loop of pure poo poo.

Also, surprise BEES!

ED: And the witch that just murders the whole witch council which never seems to exist or do anything about the school-of-mass-murder then turns herself in at the end and.. fuuuuck Coven. I forgot how bad it is. It even had a little gently caress You to Hotel, by bringing in Queenie only to kill her off.. which logically would have brought a whole bunch of pissed off witches to the hotel but nothing ever happened.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 10, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OmegaBR posted:

I miss Zachary Quinto being on the show, I wish he'd run another season.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Blazing Ownager posted:

Yesss! Me too!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Blazing Ownager posted:

Same

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Blazing Ownager posted:

It even had a little gently caress You to Hotel, by bringing in Queenie only to kill her off.. which logically would have brought a whole bunch of pissed off witches to the hotel but nothing ever happened.

Queenie got herself killed; she should have been better and evaluating who she was using her power against.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's the best season since Asylum. Though I have to warn it will seem cheesy as all gently caress for the first episode or so, until you kind of get the vibe of what they are going for.

There's lot of extreme alt-right and special-snowflake left talk that seems like the show runners are being sincere about it, but then you realize the entire season is a middle finger to all modern politics, while pouring gasoline on them and lighting them on fire and it becomes some really amusing black comedy.

Coven is up there with Heroes Season 3, Dexter and honestly Walking Dead these days.

Nothing makes loving sense, plot points come out of nowhere, major characters die off screen as an afterthought. The character motivations are random, the plot is random, the side-plots are random. It builds towards 10 stories and never tells any of them: The witch war, the hunters, all of it.. just comes and goes in the dumbest loving ways.

It is in my opinion the FAR AND AWAY worst season of American Horror Story, "trainwreck watching" level. It just did stupid poo poo for the sake of doing stupid poo poo, like the murder vagina or how the show built up a really interesting well-done character arc for one of the most racist people on the planet changing her ways only to undo it in the last minute out of nowhere.

gently caress Coven. It's real bad. Freak Show may be dull a lot and somewhat random but it has nothing on Coven.

PS: My favorite stupid poo poo with Coven is how Peters character was mind controlled in the first part of the finale easily by the Beverly-Hillish Witch. Then he goes to kill her later and suddenly she can't do telekinesis or mind control on the guy for no reason whatsoever. Everything was like that. And endless loop of pure poo poo.

Also, surprise BEES!

ED: And the witch that just murders the whole witch council which never seems to exist or do anything about the school-of-mass-murder then turns herself in at the end and.. fuuuuck Coven. I forgot how bad it is. It even had a little gently caress You to Hotel, by bringing in Queenie only to kill her off.. which logically would have brought a whole bunch of pissed off witches to the hotel but nothing ever happened.

The worst part about Coven is that it was one of the highest rated seasons and you'll get the occasional goon or two in this thread who absolutely loves it. It's the worst thing AHS has ever produced and is objectively awful in every way yet because it's so awful it's gained a following.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I have seen many people list Coven among their most favorite seasons.

• Locked thread