Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
There's nothing wrong with each season being a messy jumble of themes and antagonists; it's one of the things I like best about this show. The real sin Coven committed was being too jumbled with its plot. The characters had no idea what they wanted until the scene they were in required them to act in some way, simply for the sake of moving the scene forward. Actions seemed to have no consequences, and every episode felt like it didn't even matter if you'd missed the episode before it.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if maybe they ended up having to change the order of the episodes around late stage and had to come up with a lot of bullshit to backpedal out of decisions that had already been made in later episodes. Good thing there were some cool moments and vignettes scattered throughout because that's about all I got out of that season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Coven felt like a handful of really cool ideas and moments just slammed together at random, with a kickin' rad cast chewing tons of fabulous scenery. I can dig that but I also get why people don't. And even as much as I like it, it amazes me how popular the season is lmao

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I mean Frances Conroy screaming Balenciaga as she burns at the stake is more than enough for me to enjoy everything leading to it tbh

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

or just playing a theremin for no reason

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

esperterra posted:

will lol if we get a Nicks performance or at least song per episode

American Horror Story: Nicks

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Coven was objectively terrible and turned the genre of the show from overly-broody slasher horror to campy horror. Campy horror only works if it was written well and Coven was just all over the place/dumb.

Don't get me wrong, I love campy horror, I just also liked the overly-broody Murder House/Roanoke/Asylum/Cult rather than the silly Hotel/Coven. Freak Show falls into neither category and is just a piece of poo poo season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Doltos posted:

Coven was objectively terrible and turned the genre of the show from overly-broody slasher horror to campy horror. Campy horror only works if it was written well and Coven was just all over the place/dumb.

Don't get me wrong, I love campy horror, I just also liked the overly-broody Murder House/Roanoke/Asylum/Cult rather than the silly Hotel/Coven.

A lot of popular camp is enjoyed for being "not good" though. Ironic enjoyment is a central tenet of the genre.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
First season of Scream Queens was fantastic campy horror. It knew it wasn’t taking itself seriously (while Coven took itself too seriously) and it was all the better for it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

God that first season of SQ is so good.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I miss Scream Queens a lot

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

:same:

Season 2 was a big step down, but I still loved it.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
I'd gladly trade more AHS for more SQ. Poor Emma gave up Harley Quinn for it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

OmegaBR posted:

I'd gladly trade more AHS for more SQ. Poor Emma gave up Harley Quinn for it.

SQ: Summer Camp please. It would fit that show so much better than AHS. Though I wouldn't mind seeing it there.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sounds like all the witches will be back despite deaths, including Misty. Paulson will be playing both her Coven and MH chars as well as a third, new one-- tho mostly her Coven char. And Lange will be playing Constance but not her Coven char.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/AHSFX/status/1027238007718309888

https://twitter.com/AHSFX/status/1027962781436456961

Tomorrow marks the point of 1 month to go and the hype machine is spinning up.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

My hype is very real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865724

• Locked thread