Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I suspect he likes divas more than he likes women, but of course he likes women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There are two factions, right? There's the Kai's Kult lot, who want people to push past their fears and seem to want to recruit Ally, and then there's the serial killing clown faction. That's what I figure, anyway.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

Coven tried to be more grounded.

I agree with everything else you're saying, but Coven was one of the least grounded things Ryan Murphy ever produced. Between Minotaur voodoo sex, talking heads, death by bees, famous jazz loving axe murderers becoming trapped inside walls, BALENCIAGA!... ever other scene was outrageously OTT. If anything, it was exhausting.

Despite also being a comedy season, this year the show has been far more grounded -- there's not even been anything supernatural yet -- but I also think it's been funny and good. If it continues like this, I'd feel comfortable suggesting it go up there with Seasons Two and Six (AKA, the more or less successful ones).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

esperterra posted:

Not counting Roanoke b/c it was shorter, obviously. Cult has a normal episode order, doesn't it?

Only one more than Roanoke, so still shorter than a regular season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think it's a bit slapdash with the plotting -- e.g. the therapist's death felt very much like one of those cases where the writers realised the character was extraneous to the season, and I think you can suggest the same of Colton Hayne's cop -- but that's most television. It's still hugely entertaining, and often pretty good. Definitely not as good as Asylum, but it's neck-and-neck with Roanoke for me.

(AKA, the only two seasons, other than this one, that'd I'd actually recommend somebody.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

esperterra posted:

Not even Murder House? Cold ...

How can you not recommend Connie Britton eating a brain in the most serious fashion? I think that season balanced camp and spooks well. The reveal with Taissa Farmiga's character is still one of the best sequences in the series.

Don't get me wrong, Murder House has some great stuff. In terms of scares, it's got some pretty good stuff going on (the episode where Azura Sky randomly tries to break into Connie Britton's house is pretty good, as is the first undead Kate Mara episode). On the other hand it's got Taissa Farmiga (bad) and Dylan McDermott (starts great, ends up phoning it in), only both at the same time. They're such a drag.

On the other hand, it also my first real exposure to Lilly Rabe, so I can't knock it too badly.

(Oh, and it has Martha Huber as that totally ridiculous real estate lady who you know is totally in on how haunted the house is. And that amazingly awful baby doctor who seems to spend half her time trying to upset her patients. "DEATH! BIRTH! SELLING HOUSES!" She was gloriously terrible. It's all coming back to me now.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

I think it's the best season SINCE 2, myself.

The guy who's writing the season finale -- Tim Minear -- is the same guy who was showrunner back in Season 2 (and only season 2; he got kicked out of that position for Season 3). I guess he's back in charge now.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

seizure later posted:

Ryan Murphy's "maybe the answer is somewhere in the middle" attitude is why this season is so embarrassingly bad

Uh, no. The show consistently comes out against Trump and the alt-right. It doesn't devote nearly the same attention to Clinton.

But beyond that, its critique of the left is that they lack cohesion and run the risk of reactionary politics and astroturfing as a result. Its critique of the right is that they're so incapable of dealing with the inadequacy of their personal situation that they've decided to kowtow to the needs of a manbaby in the pursuit of power over integrity.

It's not siding against both sides, but rather suggesting that the right have completely lost it and that the left needs a wake-up call before they lose it as well. i.e. that the women need to start working together rather than engaging in literal backstabbing if they want to stop Tate.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 12, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

freak show was looking good in the beginning and then took a big dump on itself

Most pointless Freakshow cul-de-sac, go!

Mine's Francis Conroy being turned into a marionette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYKCVp0IRl0

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's a variation on some of the first season stuff, yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Doltos posted:

Coven was objectively terrible and turned the genre of the show from overly-broody slasher horror to campy horror. Campy horror only works if it was written well and Coven was just all over the place/dumb.

Don't get me wrong, I love campy horror, I just also liked the overly-broody Murder House/Roanoke/Asylum/Cult rather than the silly Hotel/Coven.

A lot of popular camp is enjoyed for being "not good" though. Ironic enjoyment is a central tenet of the genre.

• Locked thread