Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I Know that this is a day early but the previous thread just closed so here is the August discussion thread

As most of you probably don’t know, I am getting married this month, so I thought I would dedicate this first post of the August chat thread to famous comic book marriages.

Superman and Lois Lane

The will they won’t they relationship between super-dweeb farmboy Clark Kent and the rambunctious go getter Lois Lane pretty much set the template for superhero comics. One thing that I like about this relationship is that there is a deep-seated respect between the characters as individuals, without Lois just being a bland love interest for the superhero.
Despite DC’s “no-marry rule because it ages our characters” (it is true I am old) the publisher just couldn’t destroy a good thing for long, and Lois and Clark are back to being happily married. They also have a kid now so woot to DC realizing that marriage is actually a good thing.

Peter Parker and Mary Jane

Apparently a lot of people were against this marriage. Who knew. Personally I hope my marriage doesn’t end with me having to make a deal with the devil, but maybe that’s just comic books. I actually didn’t have anything against this marriage, I was never a huge Mary Jane fan but I thought her and Peter being married was a natural progression of Peter’s character so I was for it. Of course Marvel wasn’t because the prefer Peter as some kind of loser (what is it with the big 2 and marriage anyway?)
I have no idea on Pete’s current status though I assume he isn’t married at all now (although probably is in some other parallel world where marriage is seen a good thing or perhaps he is living in the same planet as the one that that the Lobster takes place in.

Cyclops and Jean Grey

Alright, the only thing I know about this one is from the cartoon show and in the cartoon show they were married by a shapeshifting Morph so all of a sudden they weren’t officially married, and when they found out they weren’t officially married they decided to say gently caress that weddings are hard (true) and we already sunk a small fortune into the sham that was a wedding but wasn’t (also true) so let’s just skip this whole getting married thing and just go back to being a couple that has kids the natural way despite Mr. Sinister’s insistence that we have kids in an unnatural way.
Also I think I had a random comic that had Scott go on a honeymoon with the Madeline Pryor (who fulfilled the wife-requirement of looking like his dead ex) and they got attacked by a giant shark. Hopefully whatever my honeymoon is, it will be decidedly shark-free (and also evil doppelganger free too).

Reed Richards and Sue Storm

Again I don’t really read much Marvel so I have no idea if they are still a couple but considering comics track records in regards to wedding I can only assume that they aren’t due to some shapeshifting devil who destroys universes or something like that. Still I think that they were the longest serving married couple in comicdom (possibly), and if they are still a happy couple then all the power to them.

Elongated Man and Sue Dibny

Well one way I hope my marriage is different to this one is that I really hope my wife to be doesn’t die by some crazy woman with a flamethrower. Speaking of….

Ray Palmer and Jean Loring

I also hope that if I had a fight with my wife to be or something goes wrong between us, that she wouldn’t pick up a flame thrower and go kill my friend’s spouse in hopes that that would make want to be with her again.

So from the above examples of weddings and marriage I can only hope that my wedding isn’t filled with shapeshifters and evil villains trying to ruin the special day because they are jerks, and that my marriage isn’t filled with deals with devils, giant sharks, crazy ex’s, weird murders that don’t make any sense, jealous boyfriends, universe ending events, and other comic book style craziness.

Besides all that, this is also the August comic book discussion/chat thread so feel free to talk about things non-wedding related if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
Didn't Janet marry Hank Pym when he was mentally unstable and violent and having multiple personality disorder?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

joehonkie posted:

Didn't Janet marry Hank Pym when he was mentally unstable and violent and having multiple personality disorder?

I think that was Ultimate Ant-man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Congrats on the marriage dude! I'm getting hitched in February so I know all about wedding stuff!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Grats on tying the knot Madkal!

And you as well Rhyno!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I got married in April so I am in on this "Goons getting married" thing. Plus we had a BatGroom and BatBride wedding cake topper made so it was a full nerd wedding.

Other recent comic weddings are Northstar with some human (I don't really count it as it was a wedding in an X-Men series with characters who are barely related to the X-Men)

Luke Cage and Jessica Jones (which happened in New Avengers) and was really good.

And Black Canary and Green Arrow. (It ended with Ollie murdered and Batman and Dr. Midnight used chainsaws on his body.) Don't let your wedding end like that.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Madkal posted:

Peter Parker and Mary Jane

Apparently a lot of people were against this marriage.
I don't think that's really true but I don't really know what fan reaction was like at the time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

And Black Canary and Green Arrow. (It ended with Ollie murdered and Batman and Dr. Midnight used chainsaws on his body.) Don't let your wedding end like that.

You know I don't recall that series actually considering them married once they found the real Oliver either.

Injustice Black Canary and Green Arrow did end up actually legally married but their wedding got attacked and Ra's Al Ghul kidnapped their son.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

joehonkie posted:

Yes and no?

The whole "Hank Pym is crazy and violent and multiple personality disorder" thing lasted about two issues and played out closer to the Nutty Professor than some sort of violent Ultimates psychodrama. Hank Pym had an inferiority complex about being in love with Janet because she was young and rich and hanging out with all of the way more handsome/powerful/successful Avengers made him feel like she'd never want to marry a guy like him. He felt even worse about himself after Ultron escaped and turned himself into a Avengers antagonizing murderbot, and went into seclusion. He was gone for a few issues, and suddenly Yellowjacket appears as a brash poo poo-talking new hero who basically goes "oh that Hank Pym? Yeah, I killed that loser, I'm better at shrinking and growing and controlling insects and everything that loser ever tried, and I'm also a better lover, hey Janet, let me show you how a REAL MAN treats a lady!" and basically fights off the whole team to kiss Janet.

Because it's 1968 and a goofy Roy Thomas comic, she recognizes the dude kissing her as Hank Pym, and decides to go along with his wedding proposal, and I guess the combination of having his love affirmed and seeing Janet in danger from the contractually obligated "supervillains try to break up a wedding" attack allow Hank to go "hey everyone, I have a confession to make. I, Yellowjacket, am actually Hank Pym!" to which pretty much everyone nods and moves along and Hank realizes he's capable of being a hero and being loved until another storyline comes along where he's a crazed loser, which didn't really become a regular story beat until the 1980s.

As something in continuity that people have repeatedly dredged up for decades, it's really mentally unstable and a weird form of suicidal ideation, but as a story from fifty years ago it really reads more like one of those issues of JImmy Olsen/Lois Lane where Jimmy Olsen declares he's actually a hippie that hates Superman, or Lois Lane is an evil opera singer who is going to marry Lex Luthor. Except they just sort of rolled with it and Hank and Janet stayed married for another 100+ issues of Avengers.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

irlZaphod posted:

I don't think that's really true but I don't really know what fan reaction was like at the time.

I was going more with the writers of Spiderman than fans opinion on this one. I was reading somewhere how a few writers weren't down with the whole marriage thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Congrats on the marriage, hope you have a great reception and a great matrimony. And if your 160 year old aunt gets shot by a sniper, just let her go.

Madkal posted:

I was going more with the writers of Spiderman than fans opinion on this one. I was reading somewhere how a few writers weren't down with the whole marriage thing.

People were trying to undo the marriage since at least 1990. Joe Q's just the only one who decided fan outrage was worth facing over it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Madkal posted:

I had a very quick Google but couldn't really find anything conclusive either way from 1987, but JM DeMatteis wrote Kraven's Last Hunt and used the marriage as the emotional focus of the story - Peter's love for MJ is what pulls him through it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If you feel up to reading an enormous amount of text about the Clone Saga, there's information about how various writers felt about the marriage during the 90s in The Life of Reilly. They tried extremely hard to undo the marriage in the Clone Saga, and a big part of trying to make Ben Reilly the "real" Peter Parker was that a lot of people in editorial and the writer's room wanted a swingin' single Spider-man again. And when they were gearing up to bring Peter back as the one true Spider-man and trying to get rid of their kid, they wanted to break the marriage up along with it, and the only reason they backed off of it was that it felt like heaping too much poo poo onto Peter to kill off Ben, kidnap his child AND destroy his marriage. Hell, they even had MJ be "dead" for a while in the late 90s, but readers reacted really negatively to the idea of Peter even considering relationships with other women after his wife had possibly exploded in a plane.

A lot of people saw the marriage as an ill-advised publicity stunt instead of the natural conclusion of hundreds of comics that had built up MJ and Peter's relationship to the point that they either had to get married or awkwardly broken off with a plot device (amnesia, death, something even more contrived).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Sometimes I just don't get this whole "internet" thing, but I guess this story had a happy ending. It also affirms that some fans are just the worst. Seriously, who would get pissed off with a bunch of awesome comic book gals enjoying some milkshakes?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
In much less good news where weddings are a factor: The late Mrs. McDuffie is suing over "Milestone 2.0"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The worst thing about that is it reminds me Dwayne McDuffie died.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

END ME SCOOB posted:

In much less good news where weddings are a factor: The late Mrs. McDuffie is suing over "Milestone 2.0"

Y'know, I feel like whenever I see Reggie Hudlin's name, it's never for anything particularly good. Lame Black Panther run, getting repeatedly poo poo on by Aaron McGruder in Boondocks, directing a bunch of lame movies, etc. I'm certainly not surprised that he's in the "loving over widows and old ladies" business.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Congratulations. I'm getting married in December although I've just started defaulting to saying wife. We're having a full on Christmas wedding including a red tuxedo.

I honestly really loved the marriages as a kid. They were these clear milestones of mythology in my head. Death obviously didn't mean anything, but marriage and kids did feel like it stuck and establishes a history for both DC and Marvel.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Madkal posted:

Sometimes I just don't get this whole "internet" thing, but I guess this story had a happy ending. It also affirms that some fans are just the worst. Seriously, who would get pissed off with a bunch of awesome comic book gals enjoying some milkshakes?

Absurd reasons I've seen this get hate that aren't JUST the usual 'bawww sjws are ruining my comics'

"Gwenpool sucks and I don't like it so she deserved to get harassed"
"She works for a company that promotes nazis she deserves whatever's coming to her"
"This is all a conspiracy to try and show Marvel has editors anyway when we all know they really don't"

Lots of people online are assholes, idiots, and often both overlap.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Punch and Jewelee are the greatest comic books married couple.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Wait...

KaosMachina posted:

"This is all a conspiracy to try and show Marvel has editors anyway when we all know they really don't"

...that one's pretty funny.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Madkal posted:

I walked into the shop today to hear our resident ultra conservative customer complaining about this, and after I grabbed my books, he's complaining about gays in Star Trek. The guy behind the counter is an expert at tuning people out, but I was already feeling irritable, so I just sort of went off about how I go to the comic store to get away from hateful bullshit, and to save his opinions for the other losers on twitter.

He didn't say anything back, and left shortly after, but I felt bad for swearing with a kid in the shop. I had to explain everything to my buddy because he had no clue about any of this stuff.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Don't feel bad. If more people speak up in real life, to their faces, they'll realize that maybe this is not a normal way to think.

Now I want a milkshake and some Squirrel Girl comics. Is there a collection of her stuff, or should I start hunting down the individual issues of Unbeatable?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Still on the outs with no rumor sources but a friend of mine claims that DC has opened negotiations with Marc Silvestri to purchase his Top Cow imprint and all it's characters.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Artsygrrl posted:

Now I want a milkshake and some Squirrel Girl comics. Is there a collection of her stuff, or should I start hunting down the individual issues of Unbeatable?
There are collections. There's even an OGN, since the character probably does better in trade / collected form than in singles.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Awesome! Cannot wait to get my hands on it and do some catching up.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Still on the outs with no rumor sources but a friend of mine claims that DC has opened negotiations with Marc Silvestri to purchase his Top Cow imprint and all it's characters.

Ah more characters to get shunted off to limbo.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Artsygrrl posted:

Awesome! Cannot wait to get my hands on it and do some catching up.

If you're thinking of grabbing comics in support of Heather Antos you could also grab the trades of Gwenpool that are out. They've got a pretty similar tone to Squirrel Girl and are a lot of fun.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Open Marriage Night posted:

I walked into the shop today to hear our resident ultra conservative customer complaining about this, and after I grabbed my books, he's complaining about gays in Star Trek. The guy behind the counter is an expert at tuning people out, but I was already feeling irritable, so I just sort of went off about how I go to the comic store to get away from hateful bullshit, and to save his opinions for the other losers on twitter.

He didn't say anything back, and left shortly after, but I felt bad for swearing with a kid in the shop. I had to explain everything to my buddy because he had no clue about any of this stuff.

People complaining about progressive social stuff in Star Trek is kind of baffling to me. Did they even watch Star Trek? I mean it was about that from day 1.

MLK asked Nichelle Nichols not to quit the show because she was such a role model for Black women. It's been the show for that poo poo from the get-go:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ay-on-the-show/

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

This is just like EA/Activision buying beloved game franchises and then never making a new one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

Ah more characters to get shunted off to limbo.

Lurdiak posted:

This is just like EA/Activision buying beloved game franchises and then never making a new one.

Which is any different than now? The entire TC line is in limbo.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
guys i need help with something very important

book ends for my hellboy collection

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

KaosMachina posted:

Absurd reasons I've seen this get hate that aren't JUST the usual 'bawww sjws are ruining my comics'

"Gwenpool sucks and I don't like it so she deserved to get harassed"
"She works for a company that promotes nazis she deserves whatever's coming to her"

Lots of people online are assholes, idiots, and often both overlap.

gwenpool fuckin rules and anyone who says that should get slapped

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

guys i need help with something very important

book ends for my hellboy collection

The first hellboy related issue and the last hellboy related issue?

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Something gothic, maybe gargoyles? I dunno

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

joehonkie posted:

People complaining about progressive social stuff in Star Trek is kind of baffling to me. Did they even watch Star Trek? I mean it was about that from day 1.

Yeah, it's really stupid. I just regret letting it get me riled like that.

August is a good month. My birthday is this month, and there's going to be some awesome comics. Rhyno will back me up when I say that Mister Miracle is going to be a hit.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

gwenpool fuckin rules and anyone who says that should get slapped

Amen.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Are DC trying to capture the MRA market?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

Are DC trying to capture the MRA market?

I don't think Ditko would be willing to sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

I don't think Ditko would be willing to sell.

Ditko isn't an MRA. He's an objectivist.

• Locked thread