Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Vol.3 was under printed for some reason and the softcover has been canceled three times due to insufficient preorders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Rhyno posted:

Vol.3 was under printed for some reason and the softcover has been canceled three times due to insufficient preorders.

Lame.

I see a set of 10 trades for 80 bucks on eBay--but those leave out a bunch of stuff from the sounds of it, right? Though tracking the 3rd Omnibus down for a reasonable price seems like it's going to suck.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

Lame.

I see a set of 10 trades for 80 bucks on eBay--but those leave out a bunch of stuff from the sounds of it, right? Though tracking the 3rd Omnibus down for a reasonable price seems like it's going to suck.

They poo poo the bed on those trades, leaving out a lot of stand-alone (but still necessary and GOOD) issues, plus all the crossovers into other titles. You may consider buying them and filling in the gaps with single issues, but it pisses me off just thinking about the lousy job DC did with those, and then with keeping the Omnibuses available.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A Strange Aeon posted:

Lame.

Buy 1, 2, 4, 5 & 6 and the singles that would be in vol.3?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

DC's trade department was and still might be absolutlely terrible at their jobs.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Lightning Lord posted:

DC's trade department was and still might be absolutlely terrible at their jobs.

I can't blame them for my usual standard now that Milestone is caught up in legal bullshit again, so for once, it isn't their fault the good poo poo isn't in print.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Robinson's back at DC, so a new collection (probably jumbo omnis) could be possible.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Starman was probably one of the best things DC was publishing in that era, if you don't count the vertigo stuff

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/taikawaititi/status/902305548149833728

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rhyno posted:

Buy 1, 2, 4, 5 & 6 and the singles that would be in vol.3?

So confused. There's a Starman Omnibus 3 available on DC's site for $30 with this description:

"In this third STARMAN volume collecting STARMAN #30-38, STARMAN ANNUAL #2 and STARMAN SECRET FILES #1, Opal City is terrorized by Dr. Pip, an eccentric bomber. Plus, Starman teams up with Batman to save the life of Solomon Grundy."

That doesn't seem like it would be 400+ pages, but it seems longer than a regular trade. Is that the one that other people have for hundreds of dollars? Or is DC's main site not accurate as to availability?

E. I'm dumb, if you click buy it, it just gives links to Amazon and Barnes and Noble, so even if it was what I wanted, it's most assuredly not available for 30 bucks.

A Strange Aeon fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 29, 2017

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of dc trades department, I've been thinking abort getting caught up on the Batman books. I stopped reading right at year zero or whatever. Dc does have a bunch of collected editions out right?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Strange Aeon posted:

So confused. There's a Starman Omnibus 3 available on DC's site for $30 with this description:

"In this third STARMAN volume collecting STARMAN #30-38, STARMAN ANNUAL #2 and STARMAN SECRET FILES #1, Opal City is terrorized by Dr. Pip, an eccentric bomber. Plus, Starman teams up with Batman to save the life of Solomon Grundy."

That doesn't seem like it would be 400+ pages, but it seems longer than a regular trade. Is that the one that other people have for hundreds of dollars? Or is DC's main site not accurate as to availability?

E. I'm dumb, if you click buy it, it just gives links to Amazon and Barnes and Noble, so even if it was what I wanted, it's most assuredly not available for 30 bucks.

To put it in perspective, I drove about 100 miles round trip to get my copy of volume 3 since I saw it at a comic store while I was meeting up with a friend from out of town and didn't think too hard about it until I got home to find it was selling on Amazon for about twice its cover price, then drove back the following day to get it. This was a few years ago after it was already out of print.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Soonmot posted:

Speaking of dc trades department, I've been thinking abort getting caught up on the Batman books. I stopped reading right at year zero or whatever. Dc does have a bunch of collected editions out right?

Of course.
https://www.amazon.com/Scott-Snyder/e/B001KDFJAW

edit: The second box set of trades starts at Zero Year, if that's where you quit.
https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Scott...Capullo+Box+Set

ee: I didn't read in trades, but I believe Vol 6 is pretty skippable. It collects some good stuff, but they're isolated one or two shot stories. One is a preview of the weekly series, Batman Eternal, which may make it seem like a waste of time.
eee: And you've probably read the two Clayface issues if you were reading floppies.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 29, 2017

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
My favourite thing about the Starman trades was the lack of numbers on the spine so I never got them in any kind of order when I bought them

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

My favourite thing about the Starman trades was the lack of numbers on the spine so I never got them in any kind of order when I bought them

Didn't they start putting numbers on them with the 5th volume or something?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Is there some way to see what issues are collected in a given trade on Amazon or am I missing something?

Trying to figure out which Starman trades would cover the third Omnibus--I know I'll need to track down the mini series and one shots separately.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is there some way to see what issues are collected in a given trade on Amazon or am I missing something?

Trying to figure out which Starman trades would cover the third Omnibus--I know I'll need to track down the mini series and one shots separately.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Starman_Omnibus_Vol._3_(Collected)

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

That's a great breakdown for the Omnibus, which will help me track down the single issues. But for the main issues 30 to 38, I'm assuming I can get those in one or two volumes of the trade paperbacks, I'm just not sure how to tell which trades cover those issues.

Dude was right about Starman being annoyingly hard to recommend re: its availability.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

That's a great breakdown for the Omnibus, which will help me track down the single issues. But for the main issues 30 to 38, I'm assuming I can get those in one or two volumes of the trade paperbacks, I'm just not sure how to tell which trades cover those issues.

Dude was right about Starman being annoyingly hard to recommend re: its availability.

That's Infernal Devices: http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Starman:_Infernal_Devices_(Collected)

Unfortunately, it's missing 36 for some reason. Like I said, DC's collection department used to be trash.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I use Comicvine to see what's in collections.
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/starman/4050-5259/
Click 'expand full wiki summary'

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
If you want the batman comics after zero year or whatever I'll sell you my floppies.

Heck, I want to sell a bunch of my collection. Is there a thread for that?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I just came from a massive bookstore in the middle of no where where the owner had about 100 long boxes filled with comics. I asked if they were his personal collection and he just replied that he travels all over buying up people's collections. By the looks of it he doesn't sell anything in the boxes at marked up prices but everything in the boxes were about 1.50 ea. If I was a collector this would seem like jack pot island and I was even considering in going and looking for full runs but I am trying to move away from buying single issues.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Madkal posted:

I just came from a massive bookstore in the middle of no where where the owner had about 100 long boxes filled with comics. I asked if they were his personal collection and he just replied that he travels all over buying up people's collections. By the looks of it he doesn't sell anything in the boxes at marked up prices but everything in the boxes were about 1.50 ea. If I was a collector this would seem like jack pot island and I was even considering in going and looking for full runs but I am trying to move away from buying single issues.
What era were they from? Did it look like he had any fanzines or Wizards or whatever from the 1990s?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I recently bought Starman Omni Vol. 6, completing my collection. I found them for cheap on instocktrades.com and on ebay, if that helps.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Edge & Christian posted:

What era were they from? Did it look like he had any fanzines or Wizards or whatever from the 1990s?

I didn't look too hard to see what era they were from and really even though they were labelled there were too many boxes to go through.
There was a shelf or so of old wizard magazines that I thought of buying for shots and giggles though. Can't say how far back they went though because I didn't go through them.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Lightning Lord posted:

That's Infernal Devices: http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Starman:_Infernal_Devices_(Collected)

Unfortunately, it's missing 36 for some reason. Like I said, DC's collection department used to be trash.

I would bet 36 was a "Times Past" story. DC collected those in their own separate volume for the trades.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I would bet 36 was a "Times Past" story. DC collected those in their own separate volume for the trades.

It was but it was not collected in that trade.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Lightning Lord posted:

It was but it was not collected in that trade.

What a pain in the rear end! You weren't kidding about how difficult they made it. I never realized trades could leave so much out, I just assumed they were everything minus the ads and letter pages.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

What a pain in the rear end! You weren't kidding about how difficult they made it. I never realized trades could leave so much out, I just assumed they were everything minus the ads and letter pages.

Trades, especially DC's, used to be kind of perfunctory. They'd mostly collect stuff they thought would move best in bookstores. It's why Vertigo's trade program was way more robust than the DC superhero universe's. It's only relatively recently that we've had these all-encompassing collections, hell often all you'd get would be the first arc of a series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lightning Lord posted:

Trades, especially DC's, used to be kind of perfunctory. They'd mostly collect stuff they thought would move best in bookstores. It's why Vertigo's trade program was way more robust than the DC superhero universe's. It's only relatively recently that we've had these all-encompassing collections, hell often all you'd get would be the first arc of a series.

Vertigo has some problems too, Sandman trades have issues out of order, I feel like it was only in the past decade you could get anything more than first 8 issues of Jamie Delano's run on Hellblazer in trade. It just jumped straight to Garth Ennis more than 30 issues later. I'm not even sure if Hellblazer 51 is available in any trade, and that was the one that established him as bisexual, which my understanding is they've made pretty important to his recent stuff (it's a one off issue by a different writer that happens in the middle of Ennis' run).

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So disheartening to hear! I just feel like I don't have space in my life to track down single issues, so I'm sure I'm missing out on amazing stuff that I'd love that was never collected in trades. And I know I could go digital, I guess, but I really don't get as much enjoyment out of reading a comic on my computer as I do reading an actual book in my hands. I might do a few months of Marvel Unlimited at some point to read the original runs of all the classic 60s stuff at some point--owning all the Absolute / Masterpiece editions of all that stuff would cost me a fortune, as much as I think it'd be awesome to own.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Vertigo has some problems too, Sandman trades have issues out of order, I feel like it was only in the past decade you could get anything more than first 8 issues of Jamie Delano's run on Hellblazer in trade. It just jumped straight to Garth Ennis more than 30 issues later. I'm not even sure if Hellblazer 51 is available in any trade, and that was the one that established him as bisexual, which my understanding is they've made pretty important to his recent stuff (it's a one off issue by a different writer that happens in the middle of Ennis' run).

Yeah, I'm just saying even with all these problems, it was better than DC's mainstream imprint trade program. So much stuff was just uncollected, or only had one trade ever. Vertigo at least tried to release whole series, or chunks of whole series. But yeah, there's still problems like why isn't all of Shade the Changing Man collected? Why aren't there super deluxe versions of Swamp Thing?

51 is collected in this trade http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=282033

Comic Book DB is a really comprehensive site btw. I just remembered it, otherwise I would have suggested it for the Starman stuff. Like, if you want to read everything by a certain writer or artist, that's the best site to use for that sort of thing.

A Strange Aeon posted:

So disheartening to hear! I just feel like I don't have space in my life to track down single issues, so I'm sure I'm missing out on amazing stuff that I'd love that was never collected in trades. And I know I could go digital, I guess, but I really don't get as much enjoyment out of reading a comic on my computer as I do reading an actual book in my hands. I might do a few months of Marvel Unlimited at some point to read the original runs of all the classic 60s stuff at some point--owning all the Absolute / Masterpiece editions of all that stuff would cost me a fortune, as much as I think it'd be awesome to own.

Marvel Unlimited is great and I believe DC is leaving money on the table by not doing something is similar. BTW, there's plenty of stuff from later than the 60s that's worth keeping Unlimited around for. Like they have almost everything from before the last six months.

Also there are a couple of discount options for classic material. If you don't mind black and white, you can get some old Essentials or Showcases. Essential is dead and has been replaced with Epic Collections which are in color and more expensive, but I believe Showcase Presents is lumbering along. There's also other collections, like Marvel has Complete Collections for some stuff that aren't going to set you back as much as Masterpieces or Absolutes

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 31, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Sad to hear they killed essential, in some ways I prefer the black and white, really highlighted Kirby and Ditko's excellent line work, and it was fun also having phonebook sized collections (do people younger than me even know what a phonebook is? They still end up on my doorstep occasionally).

Unlimited is great they still have a lot of holes in their older stuff, but they add a dozen or so old books every week (when Jay and Miles covered Xtinction Agenda, the X-Factor books weren't there, now I think almost all of X-Factor is) and if it was a non-Max comic published after 2000 it's almost certainly there. Only other complaint about it is they don't seem to have a consistent policy on where they list books that start with "The" and crossovers are a bit of a pain all the issues were there, but it was a pain in the rear end reading Xtinction Agenda.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Sad to hear they killed essential, in some ways I prefer the black and white, really highlighted Kirby and Ditko's excellent line work, and it was fun also having phonebook sized collections (do people younger than me even know what a phonebook is? They still end up on my doorstep occasionally).

Unlimited is great they still have a lot of holes in their older stuff, but they add a dozen or so old books every week (when Jay and Miles covered Xtinction Agenda, the X-Factor books weren't there, now I think almost all of X-Factor is) and if it was a non-Max comic published after 2000 it's almost certainly there. Only other complaint about it is they don't seem to have a consistent policy on where they list books that start with "The" and crossovers are a bit of a pain all the issues were there, but it was a pain in the rear end reading Xtinction Agenda.

Yes, and old books that nobody remembers where they were originally published. It was kind of a pain in the rear end to read Starlin's Warlock on there for example.

Showcase Presents is basically dead too, I think the only newly solicited one is a Batman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, when asked about it both DC and Marvel have told retailers that sales on black & white reprints were poo poo. That's what killed both lines.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, when asked about it both DC and Marvel have told retailers that sales on black & white reprints were poo poo. That's what killed both lines.

How are the Epic Collections doing? They seem more popular in general.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I like the black and white alright, but honestly, if I'm reading old comics, part of the fun is seeing them in color. There's tons of indie black and white stuff that was never intended to be colored. The recent Justice League trades are quite affordable and in color--I think the first 30 issues are covered in 3 volumes, and each volume is 20 bucks.

In terms of value, I really don't like the hardcovers DC did, where for $50, you get 4 full color issues of a comic from the 40s. I feel like it's just too expensive to really pursue those collections, though I'm glad they exist, so if someone wanted to read Golden Age Starman, for instance, they have a way to do so.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/robtrench/status/902724776334151681

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Here's the September discussion thread.

• Locked thread