Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Lurdiak posted:

There are fine people in Hydra, and there's violence on many sides.

Well okay, but to be honest, wanton violence and destruction is kind of Hulk's entire thing, and most of the Hydra mooks are really only in it for their dental plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I can't believe this violence and slander from the alt-hulk.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe the Second Amendment people will do something about HYDRA.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Well you see good sir, they revealed that Cap has ALWAYS been a Nazi so....

Didn't they backpedal and have a cliffhanger where what appeared to be the real Cap was alive on Mars or the moon or New Hala or something?

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
Cap always having been Hydra is an alt-fact.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Gaz-L posted:

Didn't they backpedal and have a cliffhanger where what appeared to be the real Cap was alive on Mars or the moon or New Hala or something?

Not as such. A storyline seems to show a lumberjack looking Cap without memory stumbling through the woods meeting different people, including Red Skull and now Kobik. Afterlife for the Non-Nazi Cap soul, alternative dimension, inside the Cosmic Cube - who knows yet.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
man, I'm starting to think that Marvel shouldn't have made Captain America a nzai

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Guy Goodbody posted:

man, I'm starting to think that Marvel shouldn't have made Captain America a nzai

Marvel's thinking the same by now. Probably. I hope. The only good thing I can see coming out of it is that they can claim "we're so far removed from the real world in this, we can't do our usual thing of using the real US President in the comics. No Trump here!" But probably it will be a "better than Nazi Cap at least" by the Marvel 616 public.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

A Strange Aeon posted:

Thanks! Added both to my wishlist!

Make sure you read the essays in the back of the books about the stories. The Barks historians do a really good job explaining the system that Barks was producing comics in and overall do a great job giving context. If you like them, there's always the Don Rosa collections as well since he built a ton of his duck stories off the works of Barks. The fun thing about Rosa is he's still alive and he gives his personal history of what was happening with him at the time that each issue was published (such as breaking his hand in a workplace accident and having to learn how to draw with a cast).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't think the core concept of temporarily making Captain America a Nazi as a way to reflect how America the nation's actions don't always match up to what we claim our ideals are (Squirrel Girl had a funny bit where that happened for a second due to reality altering hijinks), but it should have been an arc that lasted 2-3 issues max, not 18 loving months from Nick "I got fired off Ultimate X-Men because it was too loving convoluted" Spencer.

Seriously gently caress his Ultimate X-Men run, it features wide scale breakouts in Mutant concentration camps and Kitty Pryde in a thought box saying "this is the story of how I become the most wanted terrorist in America" in the first issue, and then goes off on other tangents for 11 loving issues, I'm not sure Kitty Pryde is in any of those other issues.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I reached out to Mark Evanier on Facebook and asked him what he, the most qualified expert on all things Jack Kirby, thinks Jack himself would have had to say about this.

"Nothing nice."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Hey, remember how I said that my brother wrote and directed a movie called Patti Cake$ and it was going to come out in theaters?

Patti Cake$ is out in theaters now.

Go see Patti Cake$.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

Gavok posted:

Hey, remember how I said that my brother wrote and directed a movie called Patti Cake$ and it was going to come out in theaters?

Go see Patti Cake$.

Its been getting pretty good reviews down here at the Melbourne International Film Festival too.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

"Spiderman and his assistant"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gavok posted:

Go see Patti Cake$.

Cool, it's playing here. I'll probably catch it Sunday.

(I saw a trailer for it before The Big Sick and it looked good, so I wanted to see it regardless of your brother.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

Go see Patti Cake$.

I'm gonna make a point to go see it when I can.

And then tell everyone I know the director's brother.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Decius posted:

Marvel's thinking the same by now. Probably. I hope. The only good thing I can see coming out of it is that they can claim "we're so far removed from the real world in this, we can't do our usual thing of using the real US President in the comics. No Trump here!" But probably it will be a "better than Nazi Cap at least" by the Marvel 616 public.

I hope they make Trump the president, but also just a flat-out villain. Captain America foils Trump's plan to give Fort Knox to the Russians! Jessica Jones discovers secret ties between the Trump Administration and the Hate Monger when Trump tweets "I love the Hate Monger. Great Guy." and Spider-Man battles his new greatest nemesis, a flamboyant villain know as The Mooch!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
@realDonaldTrump tweeted "Hatred on both sides of SHIELD/HYDRA conflict - Baron Strucker really just a very beautiful man."

@realDonaldTrump tweeted "My good friend JJJameson is RIGHT - Spider-Man IS a masked menace! Web fluid can't melt steel beams! Sad!"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do an issue where Trump hires the Absorbing Man to be part of his Secret Service detail. But Crusher gets disillusioned and at the end he says to Trump "Ey, I voted for youse cuz youse said youse was gonna bring back jobs. There ain't no jobs! Now my little cousin OD'd on opioids, there's nazis marching in the streets, and you didn't even lock up Hillary like you promised! I may be The Absorbing Man, but it's time for me to stop absorbin' your hate, and for you to start absorbin' my fists!"

And then he does a fastball special with Mrs Marvel.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Wheat Loaf posted:

@realDonaldTrump tweeted "Hatred on both sides of SHIELD/HYDRA conflict - Baron Strucker really just a very beautiful man."

@realDonaldTrump tweeted "My good friend JJJameson is RIGHT - Spider-Man IS a masked menace! Web fluid can't melt steel beams! Sad!"

@realDonaldTrump tweeted " JJJameson And the FAILING DAILY BUGLE print more fake News about Spider-Man. So sad! "

Posted two weeks after the earlier tweet.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

@realDonaldTrump tweeted " JJJameson And the FAILING DAILY BUGLE print more fake News about Spider-Man. So sad! "

Posted two weeks after the earlier tweet.

One for every occasion.🤣

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Guy Goodbody posted:

I hope they make Trump the president, but also just a flat-out villain. Captain America foils Trump's plan to give Fort Knox to the Russians! Jessica Jones discovers secret ties between the Trump Administration and the Hate Monger when Trump tweets "I love the Hate Monger. Great Guy." and Spider-Man battles his new greatest nemesis, a flamboyant villain know as The Mooch!

The first villain in USAvengers was a very thinly veiled Trump. I believe he was called The Gold Skull and was defeated because he thought making an Iron Man suit out of solid gold wouldn't backfire.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

This reminds me of an issue of Super Villain Team Up. The action has two converging lanes:

the Fantastic Four are fighting their way through Castle Doom in one

In the other, Doom himself has just, well, broken up with Namor and is looking for a new partner to do crimes with. He's leading a shadowy figure (we can't see his face) through his collection of high tech weapons in order to entice the mystery villain to join his cause. But nothing is destructive enough to satisfy this fiend--he keeps demanding more power, more destruction.

Eventually the good guys make it past Doom's defenses and confront him. The shadowy figure steps forward--it's literally Henry Kissinger. They call him by name. He tells the F4 that Doom is now an ally of the USA, supplying them weapons, and he has immunity.

As Kissinger leaves in a helicopter, Doom comments that he feels Kissinger is a kindred soul who shares his understanding of the nature of power. A few pages later Johnny flat out says Doom is basically Hitler.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fortunately, Reed knows that Kissinger is vulnerable to losing his glasses in toilets.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
... and then some years later, Reed formed the Illuminati.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Decius posted:

Not as such. A storyline seems to show a lumberjack looking Cap without memory stumbling through the woods meeting different people, including Red Skull and now Kobik. Afterlife for the Non-Nazi Cap soul, alternative dimension, inside the Cosmic Cube - who knows yet.

We'll probably find out next week. My guess is "locked away somewhere in Steve's mind".

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think superheroes should be good guys.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think superheroes should be good guys.

Adulthood is realizing the Joker makes more sense :downs:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

Adulthood is realizing the Joker makes more sense :downs:

Actually it’s realizing he’s kind of lame. At least that’s how it worked for me.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

X-O posted:

Actually it’s realizing he’s kind of lame. At least that’s how it worked for me.

Yeah, the only thing that has had me truly excited about the Joker in the past few years is the Batman Telltale game.

Hamil Joker is still dope, though.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

X-O posted:

I think the number of different interpretations creators have had of him over the years have added a lot of complexity to the character, but they pretty much reached the limit on sadism a while ago, and ultimately the inability to do a redemptive story arc with him is a pretty big limitation. I think antihero Lex is probably the most interesting version of Lex, and the way Doom seamlessly transitions between villain and antihero has a lot to do with what makes him such a great character too. A heroic Joker would be beyond weird though, and would require something to fundamentally change about him, to the point where he wouldn't really be the Joker anymore. Actually my favorite Joker in recent continuity was probably when he and Batman both had amnesia, but that's specifically because he wasn't himself at that point.

That said, I also like the new Harley and Batman comic so far because it presents a Joker with unclear motivations so far, and in a lighter context than we've generally seen him in recent years.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

One of my never-gonna-happen ideas for a Batman run would involve Joker deciding to not kill or maim anyone for an entire year because he feels his act is getting stale. So he'd spend his time committing more lighthearted crimes, and being somehow even more of a nuisance to Batman because of it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

RandallODim posted:

Yeah, the only thing that has had me truly excited about the Joker in the past few years is the Batman Telltale game.

Same, except Arkham Knight.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Lurdiak posted:

One of my never-gonna-happen ideas for a Batman run would involve Joker deciding to not kill or maim anyone for an entire year because he feels his act is getting stale. So he'd spend his time committing more lighthearted crimes, and being somehow even more of a nuisance to Batman because of it.

This is my second most wanted never going to happen ideas for Batman.

Number one is Two Face being introduced to I-Ching as therapy but instead of rendering him weirdly comatose like in Serious Earth it instead leads him to increasingly intricate crimes, which Batman first realizes when two groups of thugs both claim that Two Face sent them to steal the same MacGuffin.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As I was growing up my favorite ongoing monthly stuff was anything in the Superman, Batman, Captain America, and Spider-Man families. Even when I'd quit reading Fantastic Four for a while or stopped Flash for a bit or was in between big Jim Starlin cosmic poo poo, those four were my constants. As I grew older I still loved all of them except I started to realize the only thing that really attracted me to Batman were the characters around Batman and not Batman himself. And to this day I think Batman is fine, but I still care much more about characters in his orbit than I do him. That's probably why I just can't get myself to really care about books primarily about him even when I want to. I was so excited about the idea of Tom King writing Batman after doing Grayson. But to me it was nowhere even close to as good as that book was when I dropped it. I'm not sure why that is exactly, I was not nearly as high on his Vision book as most people were either, so maybe it's just that Grayson clicked with me for some reason and it was less about Tom King and more about just enjoying that specific Tom King story. But either way I just really can't bring myself to care much about really Batman centric stuff right now. That's why I love Detective Comics so much right now, yes Batman's in it, but it focuses just as much if not more on the other characters on his Bat Team. And to bring it back to what was being talked about here, it's even worse if Joker is involved. I'm not sure I'd even want to read a Batman/Joker story right now if they put the trade up for free on Comixology.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I like comics better when comic book villains aren't murder machines.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

I like comics better when comic book villains aren't murder machines.

It kind of feels like a trap writers fell into. Like at first it was novel and shocking, which was interesting, and then I think other writers felt like they had to keep up or up the ante so it would feel like the stakes were even higher next time. It seems like both companies have promised a lighter tone multiple times now (particularly after major downer crossovers, like we're getting now with Secret Empire), but grimdark still has a way of creeping back in.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
That's why my favorite villains are the working stiffs who treat it like a job, or ones with codes of honor or sympathetic motives: Flash's Rogues (especially Captain Cold), the Suicide Squad, Secret Six, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, etc. And my favorite MCU villains have been Zemo and Vulture, for that reason. The ones who don't want to take over the world or murder everyone in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

That's why my favorite villains are the working stiffs who treat it like a job, or ones with codes of honor or sympathetic motives: Flash's Rogues (especially Captain Cold), the Suicide Squad, Secret Six, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, etc. And my favorite MCU villains have been Zemo and Vulture, for that reason. The ones who don't want to take over the world or murder everyone in it.

Johns' made the Rogues murder machines. :(

• Locked thread