Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Pretty sure drive-throughs and planes would've happened without America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

That's the best they could come up with?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the world would be better without planes, drive thrus, bob dylan, or americans.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Without planes and Americans, 9/11 wouldn't have happened. Daniel Hannan supports 9/11 happening.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Speaking as a filthy American, we should venerate Amerigo Vespucci instead. Still Italian, still an explorer, never ran any brutal, oppressive colonies.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Olds loving love Bob Dylan

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TomViolence posted:

Christ alive, every time I see an argument like this a few more of my brain cells kill themselves.

Well after a while, they start making sense.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Gort posted:

Pretty sure drive-throughs and planes would've happened without America.

It never ceases to amaze me what a hard time people apparently have wrapping their head around the concept of multiple discovery (though it probably shouldn't surprise me, seeing how unreasonably popular Great Man Theory continues to be)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean the alternative that we never invent planes and instead develop highly advanced dirigibles still seems better.

It would certainly make British interventionism and the queen elizabeth aircraft carriers more interesting.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

When you vandalise Hitler, you're saying that the greater German reich - autobahns, jet engines, fanta - shouldn't have happened.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TomViolence posted:

When you vandalise Hitler, you're saying that the greater German reich - autobahns, jet engines, fanta - shouldn't have happened.
Steady on now old chap, the first workable jet engines were made by Gloster.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

TomViolence posted:

The entire American space program.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Regarde Aduck posted:

The entire American space program.

Nobody cares if the runner-up disappears.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

So the Labour-run Birmingham council has reneged on it's deal with the binmen and is planning to start issuing redundancy notices.

Why would they strike a deal to stop the strikes and now claim it was always unaffordable? Seems like a strike-breaking tactic to me, pretty disgraceful that it should come from Labour of all people.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

quote:

It’s typically astute that the spontaneous young Conservatives chose Activate as the name of their group, proving their sharp sense of youth culture, because like Momentum, this has the crucial quality of being three syllables.

They probably had lengthy discussions on which three-syllable word to choose, from a shortlist that included Caliphate, Urinate, Camper van, Rwanda and Wheelie-bin.

From the article. Activate – a youth group that young people can finally get gassed about.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/activate-young-tories-disaster-conservatives-theresa-may-down-with-the-kids-a7922836.html

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/aug/31/city-workers-what-are-attitudes-to-cocaine-use-in-your-industry

Haha what the gently caress? Are there industries in which cocaine is just hunky-dory? Like "sup chaps, fancy a pint in the pub and a rail or two to go with it?" I heard some second-hand stories about the marketing industry but I don't think it's that widespread.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The Tory industry.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pochoclo posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/aug/31/city-workers-what-are-attitudes-to-cocaine-use-in-your-industry

Haha what the gently caress? Are there industries in which cocaine is just hunky-dory? Like "sup chaps, fancy a pint in the pub and a rail or two to go with it?" I heard some second-hand stories about the marketing industry but I don't think it's that widespread.

Aww bless

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Pochoclo posted:

Have you ever met a salesperson?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pochoclo posted:

Yeah any industry which is male dominated and heavily competitive/just totally poo poo will develop a drugs culture as Masters of the Universe encourage each other to snort some poo poo off that strippers tits or people just do it to get a kick out of their precious spare time.

Finance obviously the main culprit but recruitment can be prone, marketing like you said. If you're talking 'no one cares that you're high' then rubbish collection, retail and event infrastructure also fall into the list.

Oh working at amusement parks as well, but weirdly I think fairground people just get hosed up after work.

namesake fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 31, 2017

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Cocaine is cool but the farming, manufacturing, transshipment, and distribution of it are not. Maybe post-Brexit Britain could consider a trade deal with Peru to import fair trade coca and process it in Port Talbot, providing vital manufacturing jobs.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
Britain becoming a narco-state is honestly one of the more realistic post-brexit plans I've heard

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pochoclo posted:

Most people in my workplace do drugs, but then I do live in Bristol. We love our drugs here.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Man and I was surprised at having a beer during a work lunch being acceptable in the UK.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

When I worked at a Domino's one of the managers was high on MDMA during a saturday rush, smashing out pizzas. No one gives a gently caress. I also went to Fabric with that manager, the junior manager and the store manager :v:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
When I used to work at a, gently caress, SPOONS, I used to come in every Sunday morning still loving off my face on coke from the night before, but this was 14 years ago. I'm better now

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

When I used to work at a, gently caress, SPOONS, I used to come in every Sunday morning still loving off my face on coke from the night before, but this was 14 years ago. I'm better now

Wait how long did your highs last? Coke shouldn't be running through you after a few hours sleep.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Rarity posted:

Most people in my workplace do drugs, but then I do live in Bristol. We love our drugs here.

This is pretty much true. It's the reason ketamine is known as the Bristol Crystal.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

namesake posted:

Wait how long did your highs last? Coke shouldn't be running through you after a few hours sleep.

that's the thing, I couldn't loving sleep when I was on it and still had the "sniffles" when I went in

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

that's the thing, I couldn't loving sleep when I was on it and still had the "sniffles" when I went in

try weed on the come down or if youre an idiot some special K

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Firos posted:

When I worked at a Domino's one of the managers was high on MDMA during a saturday rush, smashing out pizzas.

This is silly. Why waste a good MDMA high on making pizzas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
New thread up here for discussing the best pizza drugs.

• Locked thread