Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

BraveUlysses posted:

why not drive one of your not lovely cars? just flip the fuckin turd before you regret it and the insurance money you're spending on it
I was just assuming there was a canyon 3.5hrs away he wanted to send it off, so I was just trying to save his time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
LSX swap?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

why not drive one of your not lovely cars? just flip the fuckin turd before you regret it and the insurance money you're spending on it

It's a one way trip. I don't need it to come back.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Tighten the headbolts?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
remove head, apply layer of devcon on each side of the head gasket, refit. Add an egg in the radiator in case hungry later.
E: put extra duct tape around power steering lines and hoses.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Rhyno posted:

These are not the solutions I want to hear!

Is that 3.5hrs in a single journey?

Or can you do something more achievable, such as 10 journeys of 20mins each? That's less than 2 weeks to get to your destination.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

spog posted:

Is that 3.5hrs in a single journey?

Or can you do something more achievable, such as 10 journeys of 20mins each? That's less than 2 weeks to get to your destination.

Hmmm, I had not thought of that solution.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Got word late last night that my one remaining grandparent, my paternal grandmother, passed. Not unexpected, as she's been declining for a while, and in fact we expected her to go a couple of weeks ago, but still. I imagine that she was ready to go, having lost my grandad almost a decade ago, and her friends, my maternal grandparents last year and few years ago. She managed to see all of her grandkids become adults, and has a number of great-grandchildren. I hope we made her happy.
I'm grateful to have had her in 47 years of my life, but I will miss her. She was a fixture at almost every family get-together.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rhyno posted:

So here's what I need.

I need to PT to make a 3.5 hour trip without exploding.

Solutions and GO

Downhill all the way.

Green alternative, mount a mast and turn it into a land sail cruiser.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd posted in the local car group and one of the Neon guys said the cause of the overheat is most likely debris stuck between the rad and the AC condenser. He said it's very common. He also offered up a spare gasket if I decide to fix it.

$205 in scrap value if I take it to the yard myself though.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/883/PageID/1005/Technobabble-How-to-Fix-a-Headgasket-With-a-Garden-Sprayer.aspx comes to mind.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Rhyno posted:

Tires any good? I scrapped a Sable one time for about that much, but took the tires and made an extra hundred off them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

QuarkMartial posted:

Tires any good? I scrapped a Sable one time for about that much, but took the tires and made an extra hundred off them.

Yeah, they're not even a year old. New struts all around as well. It might actually be worth fixing and keeping as a beater.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

:aaaaa:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, they're not even a year old. New struts all around as well. It might actually be worth fixing and keeping as a beater.

I'd stop that line of thinking. You have at least 2 other cars that are 100x more fun to drive, why would you want to drive a loving PT cruiser?

Sunk cost fallacy, bro (and you didn't even pay any goddamn money for it :wtc:).

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Utility?

It's basically a hatchback.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Yeah I would fix it especially if you have someone willing to help and free parts. People hate on Chrysler products like the PT because they aren't worth the money. Being free nullifies that argument.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

I was thinking more along the lines of http://www.ag.auburn.edu/users/parmega/articles/neon/.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

oh my god this is loving amazing/sad/hilarious/ingenious

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, they're not even a year old. New struts all around as well. It might actually be worth fixing and keeping as a beaterstripping down and turning into a gokart

ftfy

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

oh my god this is loving amazing/sad/hilarious/ingenious

This is also the hero we need.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

I'd posted in the local car group and one of the Neon guys said the cause of the overheat is most likely debris stuck between the rad and the AC condenser. He said it's very common. He also offered up a spare gasket if I decide to fix it.

250 shot of nitros, throttle nailed to floor followed by 20kg of tannerite and a .303 bullet while the burnout or engine explosion is occuring. Viking funeral that POS

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Rhyno posted:

Scrap it minus tires, hock tires on local Facebook group to make an extra hundo.

gently caress keeping that ugly thing. Use it to get money for stuff your other cars need.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
So uhhh....

Discovery is buying a stake in TEN, the media group that produces Roadkill, Hotrod Garage, Dirt Every Day, etc.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck they're going to ruin it all aren't they

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/discovery-velocity-joint-venture-ten-motor-trend-1202514911/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Isn't Discovery the same company that runs all those military history channels? Think of all the wacky nazi crossover possibilities!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

`Nemesis posted:

So uhhh....

Discovery is buying a stake in TEN, the media group that produces Roadkill, Hotrod Garage, Dirt Every Day, etc.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck they're going to ruin it all aren't they

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/discovery-velocity-joint-venture-ten-motor-trend-1202514911/

God I hope not

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

`Nemesis posted:

So uhhh....

This always happens though. Soon there will be a new hot thing that gets bought and ran into the ground.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I saw TEN and thought I could play Duke Nukem 3D online again.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Aren't TEN responsible for wheeler dealers cutting out all the shop stuff and making edd quit?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My Fitbit died.

Anyone have a fitness tracker recommendation that isn't an Apple watch?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Having a safety recall done on my M3. They put me into a loaner 2017 430 gran coupe. Not a terrible looking car. It has the new little turbo 4 pot and 8 speed auto. I'm most impressed with the transmission. Granted I have like 12 miles of experience but it's not awful. The leather and interior is not nearly as refined or nice to touch as the M. Novillo leather is just so soft to touch. It has the Harmon Kardon stereo that is pretty good. Nothing happens power wise below ~2300 RPM.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I have gotten a couple 430i xdrive convertibles as rentals(thanks National). They didn't strike me as bad cars, but the interiors did feel kinda cheapish.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

My Fitbit died.

Any resonably newish Garmin watch depending on your budget (there's a Garmin to match your budget) - Shits all over any of that apple crap to boot - Lots of second hand ones availible from one and done triathletes so good quality ones that arent beaten up, there's no wank value, they are built to be used and abused.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Powershift posted:

Aren't TEN responsible for wheeler dealers cutting out all the shop stuff and making edd quit?

No that was Discovery. Since they started making the show they said the garage sequences were too expensive so wanted to cut them back and have more Mike Brewer being a twat aka breathing.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Rhyno posted:

My Fitbit died.

I have both a Fitbit and a Garmen. Same price point. I tossed the Fitbit in a pile somewhere and no longer have a clue where it is. I'm wearing the Garmin.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

this is not an empty quote

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Rhyno posted:

My Fitbit died.

A scale and blood pressure monitor.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/NWSPhoenix/status/893303497134944261

Yep, it was pretty poo poo out tonight.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yep, it was pretty poo poo out tonight.

I got a tiny bit of dust, no rain, and the worst gust according to my weather station hit 25. My brother up in Glendale got 40, but also no rain. So typical Phoenix Metro monsoon stuff where part of the valley gets hammered while other parts wonder what all the fuss on the news is about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's a cute little thing. :v:

Though I'm kinda surprised to learn Phoenix gets tornadoes. Ever. Wikipedia revealed some actual outbreaks in the past decade. :stare:

• Locked thread