Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Powershift posted:

Tell him he should buy a gun just in case, and that whole situation will quickly work itself out.

Oh, he has them. They're locked up with her medicine that she's supposed to take, but she abuses, so he doles it out to her on whatever the prescribed schedule is.

Or, supposedly. He said that once and has denied it ever since and returned to the whole "she doesn't abuse her medicine any more, she takes it like she should but I'mma stay here tonight...."

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So my sister is suddenly in the ICU with a high fever and low blood pressure.

:ohdear::ohdear::ohdear::ohdear:

E: Like, I was just getting over the shock of the initial diagnosis/chemo happening, and now this pops up. Initial word is it's just an unrelated infection of some kind, but she's going under the knife in the morning and... just... gently caress

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 5, 2017

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Uber is a lovely company run by cunts and I lust for it and other unlicensed taxi cab companies to die in a terrible and wonderful manner

bonus points if my using uber makes Captain Applefellator here upset about capitalism.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

bonus points if my using uber makes Captain Applefellator here upset about capitalism.

Let's deregulate the taxi industry that'll sow that apple loving gently caress

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Oh no the very regulated and extremely good taxi service of America will be unemployed and all those ex-convicts will have to get jobs at the Apple Store

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I hope they can read the box of the product I'm looking at to me better than the current employees

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm not sure what you're on about other than trying to make yourself look as stupid as possible

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If you were at all consistent about which capitalism is bad and which is good, then perhaps your rolling with the punches gambit here would work better.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

As someone who purchases things in our capitalistic society and enjoys products that Just Work and have good a e s t h e t i c s I will be among the bourgeoisie who are executed by firing squad, I'm fully aware

Doesn't mean I can't rail against capitalism and super regressive libertarian retards who think private companies will do a better job self regulating and driving prices down due to competition, much like the pharmaceutical industry has done

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Cool, I guess Apple has more liquid cash than any government on the planet and sells $500 laptops to $1500 hipsters for $3000 because they're one of the moral companies that don't cut any corners on worker safety, who pay american workers full wages to build their products in the good ol' USA, and don't steal IP from smaller companies.

But y'know I read an article once about how uber is bad so

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Meanwhile at uber HQ

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.c4498f0ddf6e

quote:

Indeed, after a nationwide search that involved copiously combing through binders full of women across corporate America, the company has come up short.

There are a metric fuckton more articles about how terrible uber is whereas Apple just overcharges rich people for things that they don't really need oh nooooo

A fool and his money are soon parted I guess. Thank god I got mine for half off while making $20/hr part time in retail with full health insurance in a lovely third world country that elected an orange goblin for president

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did Lexus only build like a dozen IS300's with a manual or something?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Well, you've got me there. Apple's long history of female CEOs is truly impressive and their senior leadership consisting of 3 women of 17 positions is about as equal as I can handle, as a regressive who thinks that the legions of taxi companies owned, run, and staffed by women are a poo poo business model that deserved to die.

Check out this long list of uber employees who killed themselves because there were bad articles on the internet about their company https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn_suicides

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 5, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Did Lexus only build like a dozen IS300's with a manual or something?

Most of the people who bought Lexus' weren't interested in the inconvenience of a manual transmission

They have suburban traffic to sit in for an hour ok?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

There are a metric fuckton more articles about how terrible uber is whereas Apple just overcharges rich people for things that they don't really need oh nooooo

As opposed to the metric fuckton of articles of poo poo conditions in Apple contract production facilities and Steve Jobs being one of the biggest assholes on the planet.

Grow up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Most of the people who bought Lexus' weren't interested in the inconvenience of a manual transmission

They have suburban traffic to sit in for an hour ok?

What kind of monster wants a car with a 2jz and a fuckin auto?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Maybe outsourcing all of our manufacturing to a country that has deregulated everything to the point of poison air, much less employee health and wellness, was a bad idea and totally hasn't been taken advantage of by any other western corporation nosiree :thunk:

I'm not claiming Apple is a spotless lamb but boy is it a whole lot easier to look at the two next to each other and be like "yeah that one is a lot cleaner innit"

Especially considering that their contracted supplier was responsible for overworking their employees instead of hiring more for another shift while Apple treats their actual employees very well

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Rhyno posted:

I found some numbers

2001:
30475 Sedan (automatic)

2002:
4422 Sedan (manual)
17369 Sedan (automatic)
1958 SportCross

2003:
2636 Sedan (manual)
11080 Sedan (automatic)
471 SportCross

2004:
1563 Sedan (manual)
9167 Sedan (automatic)
384 SportCross

2005:
4501 Sedan (manual)
5487 Sedan (automatic)
265 SportCross

13122 Total Sedan (manual)
73578 Total Sedan (automatic)
3078 Total Sportcross

Man they made a hell of a lot more IS300s with a manual than sc300s.

I'm probably going to be selling mine soon, car needs are a changin'

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Meet Richard. He has a $400,000 house, a boat, three cars, and makes $120,000/yr. he is drowning in debt and alcohol and he wants everyone to know he isn't a dirty poor person with no money or personality

So he bought the fanciest looking car that he could roll his previous car loan into and since it's an automatic he can use one hand to properly hide his nips while sitting in traffic in his suburban hellscape

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Also no my name is not Richard thanks everyone for your concern

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Apple, uber and taxi companies are all terrible and deserve to go under for a number of reasons, many unique to each one. Trying to decide which one is worse is like deciding which horrible flesh eating disease you'd rather contract.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Yeah I'm still not sure what Apple had to do with me saying "uber can die in a loving fire" other than EF trying to be a smug oval office :capitalism:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Meet Richard. He has a $400,000 house, a boat, three cars, and makes $120,000/yr. he is drowning in debt and alcohol and he wants everyone to know he isn't a dirty poor person with no money or personality

So he bought the fanciest looking car that he could roll his previous car loan into and since it's an automatic he can use one hand to properly hide his nips while sitting in traffic in his suburban hellscape

gently caress Richard.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Aw, gently caress me. I poked a hole in it like an idiot.

I can't find a part number or anything online, short of replacing the whole assembly. It's only protecting my timing chain's tiny oil spray orifice, so I probably shouldn't rawdog it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Boy did that spark an interesting discussion. The 430 is xdrive so no burn outs (there was an attempt)

Made the mistake of plugging Zelda breath of the wild into the Switch. I can't stop playing. Usually to 1:00-2:00 in the morning when the battery dies.

It's 1:30. The battery died so instead of going to bed I read my favorite chat thread. What am I doing with my life. I've never been a 'gamer'

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Came out to an inch long gash in the sidewall of my front passenger side tyre this afternoon, 15 minutes before I start work. No problem, call them and let them know. I've got the car moved somewhere I can use the jack and the swap done, I'm only going to be 5 minutes late!

Lower the car. Spare is flat :downsgun:

Turns out I managed to drive 2400km to Melbourne and back, avoiding busy highways, with a flat spare.

The big question now is how the gently caress the gash got there in the first place? I don't live in the best neightbourhood but I'm hoping it's not some clown slashing tyres for fun, or if they are, it's out of their system now.

Oh then I got to deal with a power outage at work that scrambled our POS and EFTPOS systems real good. 40 minutes of angry people queuing to try buy alcohol on a Saturday night :rolleyes:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
But Uber makes life so much easier/safer for a large portion of people? And last I checked working for Uber is completely
Voluntary? And minus one girl who got lost and I got my trip refunded every ride has been great for me? And I would say 90% of normal taxi rides in my previous 20 years before Uber were overpriced filthy poo poo shows? But I must be missing something.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I have never used uber or their competitors. I haven't been in a taxi for 10 years either. Shut the gently caress up about it or I'll take about all the bus and trains rides I've had.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Lets be fair, the rest of the transportation industry uses indentured servitude independent contractors, the taxi industry had it coming eventually, as do the rest of our positions. If you don't like it the best you can do is avoid using it, but your really only screwing the contractor, his overlord CEO is still going to get his share first from the hoards that don't give a poo poo.

Personally, I have never had an uber driver threaten to kill me because the fare from the airport was too short.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rhyno posted:

gently caress Richard.

I did.

Last night.

No joke.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

When I'm not driving I take public transit or walk. Even taking the bus home after wrecking my car a week ago wasn't terribly inconvenient (aside from now having to deal with Insurance for my wrecked car), and my city's transit system has suffered multiple decades of conservative budget stripping. Uber and the cabbies can both lick my taint.
e: kinda beaten by fo3, but here's a pic of my car for those who haven't seen it:

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 5, 2017

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I use Lyft a lot when traveling for the convenience and the fact it is usually not me paying for it. Slumming it on public transport with luggage after a flight can gently caress right off.

When I used to get Taxis I can't think of a good experience but Lyft has had clean cars, good drivers and most importantly the ability to tip after the ride using the app.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Ha, look at all you fancy pantses with your decent city infrastructure and your public transportation. You ain't better'n us!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Car2go just switched from smart cars to CLA/GLAs and the price only went up from $15/hour to $19/hour. or $0.41/min to $0.47/min.

$19/hour with insurance, fuel, and parking all over the place, it's reasonably easy to come out ahead as long as you're not paying 47 cent a minute to sit in a traffic jam.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Figures that there's finally a Smart worth driving and C2G stops using em.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

QuarkMartial posted:

Ha, look at all you fancy pantses with your decent city infrastructure and your public transportation. You ain't better'n us!

I live 100m from a bus stop that has 2 routes. One to the local bus station that has a shopping centre, it goes the other way to a train station and also passing a mall where my bank is. The other bus that stops there goes from the same local bus station with shopping centre (yeah that's right, both go there so there's either every 10min), or to a slightly further away train station. On the way there that bus passes a dan murphy large booze shop, so I use that to get booze.

That's not all, a further 100m from that stop there's a bus route that goes down the main road into the city. There's some shops I needed to go to on that road so that was handy.
Also if I walked 300m the other direction, there's yet another stop/bus route that takes a more convoluted path but also ends up on the main road to the city. My local grocery store is in that direction so I used that bus back from the city if I wanted to stop at the local shop on the way home.

Didn't happen by accident, I picked a "dodgy place" (very outdated reputation) to live in where public transport and shopping was good. Ask anyone in my city about public transportation and they will say they hate it. Mostly because they either don't use it, or because they live 30km from the city and as the freeway is gridlock during peak hour they grudgingly use it when everyone else is trying to get to work too, so they hate it.
Live in the right place and there's a nearly empty bus or train every 10-20min.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 5, 2017

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Public transportation here sucks buy hey... liquor locker delivers just like a pizza.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

Siochain posted:

Seconded. lovely day already, need cute baby human (or animal) photos to cheer me up.
Thank gently caress its a long weekend coming up.

Probably a bit late but

My mutts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
You guys get awfully angry about how people choose to run their lives.

• Locked thread