Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
So they put the wrong goddamn stone on the front of the house that I'm having built.

My wife is never going to let me live it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

cakesmith handyman posted:

Singular? Like a 400t boulder?

In masonry do they call it stones, plural?

keykey posted:

Not your problem. As long as you specified the stone, they get to eat the cost of making it right.

I'm not worried about paying for it, but the kicker is when we went by the house the stone was in a big crate with the type of stone written on the side.
Whatever was written on the crate, did not describe the contents apparently. Wife said "is that our stone?" I said, "well it's written on the side." and that was the end of it.

...Until now.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
oh hey look food!

http://i.imgur.com/QHxZb5n.mp4

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

there's some fuckin sad chicken and waffles in that picture set

Both were Diners.
One of them I had to order 3 separate dishes and combine them, because for some loving reason they don't sell chicken and waffles; just chicken, waffles, and chipped beef gravy. NOT EVEN SAUSAGE GRAVY!
For real though. They were fuckin good.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Tomarse posted:

Not enough of your meals feature cheese. Try harder

:devil:

Srs talk though:
I had to cut out a lot of cheese from my diet. It was making me all bloaty and poo poo, not to mention fat.
I cut out the cheese and I can drink twice as many beers and still burn it off.
Milk is alright though. It only makes me gassy about half the time.
Cream / buttermilk though... completely fine. :shrug:

I'd probably have to go back more than a month or so to find pictures of a significant amount of cheese.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Except for the worms 'n' chives bowl, every one of those food pictures individually constitutes the number of calories I eat in any 3 day period as a 210 pound grown adult man who works out daily, and that's including alcohol (which makes up 79% of my caloric intake)

Congratulations on your trip to the midwest/south!

VA is for biscuits.

giggity.

Alright I'm going home now. But before I leave I will make one recipe recommendation for y'all:

Bo Ssam (browse incognito or use adblocker to get by annoying login)
or just go here: http://luckypeach.com/recipes/momofuku-bo-ssam-david-chang-recipe/

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 1, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Seminal Flu posted:

Yeah, but most students only take classes once, so they have Summers off.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

just remember that you'll probably have a job right out of uni and they probably will not

j/k lol

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

oh my god this is loving amazing/sad/hilarious/ingenious

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, they're not even a year old. New struts all around as well. It might actually be worth fixing and keeping as a beaterstripping down and turning into a gokart

ftfy

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Currently slumming it in the purgatorial townhouse until the new house is built.

It's not great, but its better than no music.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

spog posted:

What's that PMD thing?

It's a hubcap, likely from an old Pontiac, turned into a lamp.

whoo what a loving week so far. I was on call this weekend, the voicemail server froze, I had to come in on saturday and fix it.
I touched it and it literally just died. Right there in my hands from hitting the reset button. Dead.

Cue 5 hours of me pulling out and taking apart all the server components trying to figure what killed it. I thought it was the power supplies, but couldn't find blown caps or anything and not that it even would matter because we don't have replacement anythings for this ancient piece of poo poo.
Meanwhile the vendor that supports is it scrambling to find parts with no avail so we just buy some poo poo used PSU off ebay and have it overnighted. ta-da! it works now and I have no idea what the gently caress happened to the vendor. Some say that they're still out there searching...

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 9, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rhyno posted:

I don't care what other people think, I'm just puzzled why so many people give so much of a gently caress about my life and my decisions.

It's because we love you.
Now go get daddy another beer from the fridge.
You've got exactly till the count of... *whips belt off*

Edit:

Slightly improved the improvised setup by busting out the Vandersteen 2ce sig II's

And throwing on some Pink Floyd reissues.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 10, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

beep-beep car is go posted:

So how are things back in 1977? I bet rent is cheap.

It's funny. I was born in 86, yet all my stuff is from the malaise era. I have a dozen motorcycles from the 70's, I used to have stacks of receivers and speakers but I pared most of that down and gave it to friends.
Most of my fishing reels and poles are from the 70's. My boat is a 1971 Glastron GT160. Even a lot of my tools and toolboxes came out of the 70's.

Edit: oh yeah and a lot of my camera equipment, including that enlarger that I'm using as a table as you see to the left in that photo.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rhyno posted:

Yet another local biker got himself killed fleeing the police tonight. It's been like an epidemic around here the last two years.

:same:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...4dfa_story.html

https://potomaclocal.com/2017/08/06/101938clint-gaskins-dies-following-police-pursuit-on-i-95/

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 11, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I saw this elsewhere and now am posting it here.
Deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-FXeu1gf7Y

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Seminal Flu posted:

Call from my wife:

Her -- my car's not starting.
Me -- are the lights on?
Her -- yes, but they turn off automatically.
Me -- well, that shows the battery is fine.
Her -- Maybe I'll have Steve jump me, oh he doesn't have cables
Me -- Is it doing anything?
Her -- Yeah, it's turning over, but not starting.
Me -- Then it's not the battery, something else is going on.
Her -- Let me see if I can get someone to at least try to jump me.
Me -- :suicide:

I'd jump her but my cable is still limp from jumping her last night.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

the toilet seats are always broken at my work because we have a lot of indian people and even though there are SIGNS DIRECTLY ABOVE THE TOILET they still stand on the seats and squat

Even after the cancer chat, I'm still laughing at this.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Poon wagon is really getting around the internets.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

BraveUlysses posted:

so what does everyone do for securing their license plates?

license plate theft is a thing here since our annual tab fees are so expensive...and i'm inclined to get a security torx head bolts \but my GTI is so cheap they dont actually put any inserts in the rear bumer to screw into :|

I've always used Torx heads and nylon locking nuts. But I've always had trucks where the plate just goes on the bumper with plenty of room to get a nut on the backside.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

One of my friends and mentors was diagnosed with testicular cancer, so they removed his balls and we assumed everything would be ok

Just found out it's also in his lymph nodes, spine, and brain

I am broken. gently caress cancer

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

the toilet seats are always broken at my work because we have a lot of indian people and even though there are SIGNS DIRECTLY ABOVE THE TOILET they still stand on the seats and squat

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

And to make this week worse my wife went to the OB for her first visit and the fetus quit growing a month ago

They're doing a blood test to confirm that something weird isn't going on but it would appear that her body doesn't realize it's had a miscarriage yet

Please tell me that this all satisfies the rule of 3 for bad things. Because gently caress.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
What's ya'll favorite fried chicken recipe or restaurant?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

Anyone play guitar?

I've been using a Yamaha FG800 for the past few months to try and learn some Flamenco and other Spanish riffs. Also been working on Nancy Wilson's intro to Crazy On You. It's rough with the narrow neck of a steel-string acoustic, and the steel strings sure buzz a bunch it's actually because I'm really bad

Anywho, I've been hitting up guitar shops in the area trying out some legit classical guitars recently. This morning I bought me a used Cordoba C7-CE on eBay. I'm so loving stoked :coolfish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT_n6ZyfluU&t=82s

Did you have a guitar related question or just want to chat?
The action on that Yamaha is terrible. Try getting something with a better action or you could try sanding down the bridge.
I recommend not really loving around with the truss rod unless you know exactly what you're doing. I tried to adjust the action on my first acoustic that way and the neck warped :(

Also, get yourself some better strings. I'm a big fan of Martin 80/20 light strings but you could try something like their extra light which is a .010 core.
https://www.martinguitar.com/strings/

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 18, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

Mostly just chatting. This is the first time I've actually played enough to start thinking about better setups.

I've noticed the strings sit super high around the 12th fret. It makes it difficult to play anything with consistency between 11-15 without every other note buzzing, but I chalked that up to me being a new player.

I know absolutely zero about strings, so I'll certainly try those out. I've just been buying the $6 ones.

If you press down harder does it stop buzzing?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

CommieGIR posted:

Buy a used Dell Precision T5500.

Max out with dual quad Xeons and 128GB of ECC DDR3 and a Nvidia GTX 970.

https://valid.x86.fr/f0w7hl

:pcgaming: I have problems :pcgaming:

Seconding this.

I have literally the same thing, but with a lovely perc5i raid card and 4 10k rpm sas drives.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
It's amazing how effective pooping is at relieving a hangover.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

rdb posted:

Only mad because i am on 3/1 DSL

I'm salty because it looks like I'm gonna be stuck with comcast at my new house despite the builders telling me that Verizon was coming (they're not).
What really sucks is that Verizon has hand holes all over the neighborhood, just no service.

I still don't understand how you can get 150Mbps down and only 10 up.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
We need to end internet poverty in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rhyno posted:

Ugggghhhhh

Worked out pretty hard this morning so I needed protein. Craved chicken, had a KFC coupon so I went and grabbed some grilled breasts off their buffet.

I might be dying.

I've eaten nothing but chicken since Monday.

20 pc bb.q Olive Oil chicken monday
I fried half of a costco 6-pack of chicken thighs (that's like 3 lbs of chicken) and split that with the wife.
20pc bb.q spicy olive oil chicken for lunch again today

• Locked thread