Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Aw, gently caress me. I poked a hole in it like an idiot.

I can't find a part number or anything online, short of replacing the whole assembly. It's only protecting my timing chain's tiny oil spray orifice, so I probably shouldn't rawdog it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

cursedshitbox posted:

I use Uber, Lyft, bicycles, taxis, buses, trains, planes, and seaways to get around if needed. Oh and I don't buy Apple products. :3:

snerk

I am refusing to leave the house until my pre-paid Moller Skycar is delivered.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
I just sold the motorcycle I bought when I graduated college and swore I would never sell. First/only new vehicle I've ever owned. I haven't been riding it much the last few years, but I'm still pretty bummed. I think I'll go sit in the garage and drink alone spend every last cent on eBay.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

BraveUlysses posted:

car camping is lame but backpacking is v good

That's a lot of work. I'm content to get catch a buzz on the edge of the wilderness, tyvm.

I spent all weekend scouring the internet for that stupid little screen. No good. Nobody has any idea where I could source them, so I get to buy the $200 assembly. Knowing my luck, Google or Amazon will start suggesting the thing I needed for a nickle about two minutes after I bolt the new assembly in.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

cursedshitbox posted:

Got 8/10, but I don't give a poo poo about any car built after the early 90s.

Same. Anything not Japanese was a wild guess just like taking the SAT.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

freelop posted:

Just use a bit of weld screen.
Did that last time with the blessing of the missus who is an optom.
It was a beautiful green sun

Yeah, I'm bringing my welding masks to work on the eclipse. We're only 83% but that's still cool.

So I just took my truck into the transmission shop for diag and a rebuild. This is the first* time I've taken one of my vehicles in to be repaired in like 15 years. I feel a little bad, but autos are black magic so I'll leave it to the wizards.

*Had some insurance work done on a motorcycle by the dealer but I had to re-do part so I'm not counting that.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

There 3 of those in the basement, granted, only one is running. Its also maxxed out at dual Quad 2.4 Ghz Xeons and 288 GB ECC DDR3.

I always get the urge to build something like that so I can have The Butt in my bedroom. But then I remind myself that a Raspberry Pi LAMP stack could run all my perennially (unstarted unfunded) projects for years.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I just looked at the sun. :kingsley: Frankly I don't understand the out of proportion hype this is reaching.

If this is what nerds get excited over there's no way I'm believing their BS about global warming/vaccines/chemtrails/earth being round/heliocentrisim...

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Aww yeah! Just fired up my motor after replacing the head gasket. Turns out H6 Outbacks sound pretty good sans headers.
Took 20-30 seconds of cranking (in 5 second goes) to build oil pressure but fired up on the first bump when the fuel pump fuse was installed.
One of the fuel injectors was leaking. Amazingly, I had an appropriately sized o-ring in a 3,000-piece HF kit.
Everything was coming up Milhouse, but I forgot to hook up the trans cooler so I ended up coating the front of my fresh motor in ATF.:doh:

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Darchangel posted:

I actually just got the help desk ticket "My computer is running out of space and I am not sure how to clean it up, Can someone Please help me." in my queue.
Lady, you better be sure what you're asking, because NONE of the poo poo on your hard drive is valuable to me.

edit: Oh, and she's not in today, but can sure put that ticket in so it just sits there in my queue. Hah! 816 MB free of 118 GB SSD. Windows only takes like 30 GB. What do want to bet she's got like 80 GB of MP3s in iTunes?

You don't work in an SCCM managed environment, do you? I do, and I regularly see windows installs approaching 50Gb (the trick is to store at least three copies of every update/package.) The switch came right after we upgraded a lot of our bottom tier PCs with 64GB SSDs. :negative:

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Just got my truck back from the transmission shop. Ho-lee-poo poo, it drives like a new ($5000 beater) truck. I chirped the tires accidentally at a stoplight, the line from my right foot to motion got a whole lot shorter.
Guess that makes since, since the torque converter died and took the rest of the 4l60e with it.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

violentlycitrus posted:

K1500 owner here, would you be willing to share what you had done, where at, and how much it cost?

I have a 2001 Silverado, 5.3/2wd with 248k. My trans hit 295F while towing my boat and the P-R-N all became forward gears. The shop says the torque converter failed and took everything out with it. Out the door I spent $2250 to have it rebuilt with a few upgrades (shift kit, aluminum pistons, etc) by a local ATRA-member shop.

kimbo305 posted:

Sometimes a broken exhaust can sound really good. Heard a rumbly and bassy I4 coming up behind me in the street. Turn around expecting some taken care of sports car -- was a rusty 1st gen Focus.

I ran my H6 Outback the other day with the exhaust disconnected from the heads. Sounded real good. If this was a 'fun' car I would want to hear how it sounds with dual exhausts and minimal muffling.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

violentlycitrus posted:

Thanks for the reply, my 4l60e has 225000 mikes on it and i've noticed sometimes it'll start lugging down pretty hard and i'm pretty sure that means im on the slippery transmission slope now. It idles just fine in neutral and park. I have 10 quarts of the new gm transmission fluid (dex vi?) and a new filter, so i think im going to do the pan drop flush, which i think calls for 5 quarts.

That doesn't sound good. Is your truck stumbling under load? I'm not sure I'd expect a fluid change to help much with that but I'm an idiot who thinks at automatics are powered by some sort of infernal magic.

I've only had my truck for about two months. I ended up buying this one because it was higher mileage, but 5-years newer than anything I comparable could. I kind of figured that 150k vs 250k wouldn't make a much of a difference because the transmission was liable to explode either way.

I was planning on doing filter and fluid, but didn't have a chance to get to it. For once deferring maintenance pays off!

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

cakesmith handyman posted:

Because then no-one would pay for the billion shovel-ware garbage channels that earn them a fortune in ad revenue.

And they need that revenue to pay the leagues/teams for the decade-plus exclusive rights they paid trillions for!

I'd like to hope that declining viewership might get the sports to embrace new ways of viewing (subscription streaming or whatever) but the cable companies have nearly monopolized the last mile and beaten back net neutrality so you'll just have to upgrade your broadband to Xtrme Sports DigitalBits Preferred for an additional $39.99 (plus fees!) if you want more than a low def postage stamp.

The cable industry is an ouroboros, except the snake is made out of asses so it can poo poo all over its customers throughly from every angle.

Thank god basesballs is almost as good to listen to on the radio as it is to watch on TV (ymmv). For $30/year MLB at Bat does me right.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

Ugggghhhhh

Worked out pretty hard this morning so I needed protein. Craved chicken, had a KFC coupon so I went and grabbed some grilled breasts off their buffet.

I might be dying.

Your KFC has a buffet?:pirate:

fridge corn posted:

ive started writing a novel

How many chapters does my erotic fan fiction need to be before I can call it a novel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

mariooncrack posted:

KFC buffet is a thing mostly in the south.

Oh, so that's why when I was on the FL panhandle every man over the age of twenty-five looked eight months pregnant.

• Locked thread