Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Isn't Discovery the same company that runs all those military history channels? Think of all the wacky nazi crossover possibilities!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Just over a couple weeks away now!
https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/interactive_map/index.html

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Holy gently caress the gouging for eclipse glasses has gone full retard

I bought these a couple weeks ago for ~$20 something from the same seller.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01N9T9CZL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

You're probably a day's round trip from idaho falls for the full eclipse, are you going?
Yeah, but we're taking our time. Getting a room anywhere near totality has been pretty much impossible for anything that isn't $rape$ so we're going to spend the night in Butte. It's only about 170 miles south of Butte (a little better than 2 hours) for maximum totality in the area so not crazy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, unless it's an indictable offence (felony) cops here don't do poo poo for property crimes unless the suspect might be tied to another, more serious crime. By coincidence, my neighbours dads truck, a 1 year old F350 turbo diesel just got stolen yesterday in Red Deer, for the 2nd time in a year. Poor fucker was just going through town and stopped at a store for a couple minutes. That's how it happened last time too.

So I'm running on about 3 cylinders today and its the worst day of the year for it. Need to move, spread, grade 22 yards of topsoil and sod my back yard today.

I was blessed by a neighbours dog going apeshit (one of 5 they have) @ 1AM. Went on for about 10 minutes before it went away, but it was enough to wake me from a sound sleep and keep me from falling back asleep. Just start dozing at 3AM and the little beast starts it again... and doesn't stop. After half an hour I throw on some pants and go next door, ring the doorbell, which I hate having to do at 3:30 but gently caress me. I honestly thought the neighbors were gone because I couldn't imagine them sleeping through it it but the guy comes to the door all bleary eyed and asks me what's going on. I tell him his dog has been going bananas for the last half hour between our houses. He says no way, his dogs are all there. I reply "Look, I don't know which loving dog it is, but it's in your yard." He looks around, oh, gently caress, it's XXXX, I must have left her out. I'm sorry man."

I go away, head back to bed, see 5AM on the clock so fall asleep after that. 7AM comes and I need to get up to start for the arrival of my poo poo.

Ugh :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It's possible and Canadians have the same potential hurdle going the other way. 90% chance you won't have a problem but it's certainly a possibility. My dad had a DUI and crossed repeatedly no problems but on the other hand I know of people that have been turned away.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

nm posted:

A single DUI (and frankly, multiples in many cases) alone will not get you denied entry to the US. Canada OTOH cares a lot and thanks to shared records now, they will know in seconds. Also, if asked, never ever lie about it.
I have heard anecdotally from more than one person they were denied entry to the US for a single DUI but I will concede it's entirely possible there was some other reason they either didn't share or Homeland security didn't tell them the real reason.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I just bought a Nexgrill bbq on season end sale at my local Costco on a whim since my old one finally but the biscuit. Get home and then decided to do some reading on it (yeah, backwards I know). Guess what - it has pretty bad reviews, which surprises me since Costco usually carries good stuff in my experience so I'll probably just return it.

Any recommendations for "good" grills that are either native natural gas or easily convertible and don't cost a fortune?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I just got back from the middle of the Idaho desert and totality was one of the most mind-blowing things I've seen in my life. Partials even 90-plus percent have absolutely nothing on totality. It was loving amazing.

I took a video and a couple of pictures which I still haven't looked at but the experience was incredible.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The Midniter posted:

My wife and I drove down to Greenville, SC to see the eclipse on Monday. Seriously, seeing a totality with the naked eye is something completely different than a partial eclipse through glasses. It was absolutely unbelievable and I am so glad we did it. One more thing to cross off of our bucket list.

The traffic however, was not cool. Greenville would normally be a 90 minute drive.

The trip down took three hours.

The trip back took five and a half. :gonk:

One of the benefits of approaching the Idaho desert via Montana is that it's relatively lightly populated, with most of the population (Salt Lake are and points further south) coming in from that side. I15 south of Butte was a little busy on the way down, hitting Dubois, ID it turned into a poo poo show (but still somehow lucked out and drove right to the gas pump to fill up). Ended up just going off on our own into the middle of nowhere and turned down a gravel road skirting the Idaho National Labs and parked. Only a couple other cars around us within a mile or so, pretty much 100% on our own and we were within a mile or so of the absolute max duration for the area. Only during totality could we hear anyone else in the distance with some cheering and hollering. After totality, traffic was crazy once we made it back to the interstate for the first hour but started to thin out as we approached Butte. After that, it was completely normal, almost light traffic. Got through the border within 3 minutes which surprised the hell out of me because the Canadian cars on the interstate were unreal.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ok last eclipse post from me but I literally lol'd at this

http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/rapper-defiantly-stares-at-eclipse-cancels-toronto-show-1.3559432

quote:

The 22-year-old Brooklyn rapper on Monday shared on social media that he was gazing into the sky without special glasses as the United States witnessed its first coast-to-coast total eclipse in nearly a century.

"This ain't the first solar eclipse and I'm pretty sure our ancestors ain't have no fancy eyewear. Also pretty sure they ain't all go blind," he tweeted.

But he also said that he was seeing in different colors. He said his three shows -- in Cleveland, Chicago and Toronto -- were canceled due to "unforeseen circumstances" and hinted that his vision was to blame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

mariooncrack posted:

KFC buffet is a thing mostly in the south.

First time I drove by the sign on I15 for Conrad Montana that it was a KFC Buffet and I drat near hit the ditch.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 31, 2017

• Locked thread