Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

White Coke posted:

How common is advanced movement in multiplayer? It wouldn't be the first time something from multiplayer fell flat in a single player campaign.

I'll get into it in the planned video, but IW is not super designed for advanced movement to be a necessity. The map design and the need to manage your battery means a great deal when compared to TF2's more free flowing system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Wow that well deck deployment bit in the last IW episode was about the dumbest way they could've done that. Haven't they already shown that they have actual drop pods? Why the heck would a space ship have a blue water style well deck?

On the other hand I will admit that having drones perform catch-and-assist landings is pretty neat.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

ManSedan posted:

Wow that well deck deployment bit in the last IW episode was about the dumbest way they could've done that. Haven't they already shown that they have actual drop pods? Why the heck would a space ship have a blue water style well deck?

they took 'space navy' a little too literally

also considering how many of their space jeeps got killed on deploy, Reyes and/or Omar are good at their job how?

like I get it, spectacle above all else, but drop pods are awesome and jeeps - even space jeeps - are less awesome. It would've been better in two ways.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 11, 2017

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
The advertisement screens in the terminal are interesting. I guess they should give the whole battle a surreal feel. But after realizing that someone just used the same model stock photos over and over again it looses the effect.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's a lot of questions you could ask about IW, like "Why the gently caress do they have windows on a combat spacecraft?" or "Where the gently caress is the gravity coming from?" or even "How the gently caress do you fry a gasket?".
Just enjoy the silly space military opera and don't worry too much about details, the devs really didnt.

I can confirm that Tone is badass in MP, but my fav is still Ion with that mega death laser.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Psion posted:

also considering how many of their space jeeps got killed on deploy, Reyes and/or Omar are good at their job how?

like I get it, spectacle above all else, but drop pods are awesome and jeeps - even space jeeps - are less awesome. It would've been better in two ways.
They really took it too literally. Like excessively so.
Why would you have a space Coast Guard and call it so in the first place?! :psyduck:

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

Dreadwroth posted:

Just enjoy the silly space military opera and don't worry too much about details, the devs really didnt.

Yeah I know. It's just that, CoD has always tried to be "realistic" in its Michael Bay way, and in this seemingly hard sci-fi setting we've got anti gravity and space lasers. Which are dope, don't get me wrong. More dope however is a loving space skyscraper that uses its forward ("upward") momentum to provide gravity and is bristling with railguns and nuclear pulse engines and poo poo.

Imagine if instead of the intro levels fighter jets in space combat sequence it was more framed around slingshotting past the enemy fleet, with only a few moments to line up your shots before being out of range again and having to wait and repair while you readjust your orbit and ok yeah that sounds pretty un-CoD.

I just like contemporary tech space flight with guns :science:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

ManSedan posted:

Imagine if instead of the intro levels fighter jets in space combat sequence it was more framed around slingshotting past the enemy fleet, with only a few moments to line up your shots before being out of range again and having to wait and repair while you readjust your orbit and ok yeah that sounds pretty un-CoD.

I just like contemporary tech space flight with guns :science:

As someone who played Star Ruler, a 4x where one of the big points was it using newtonian space physics, it got really annoying real fast. High speed maneuvers pretty much devolved into that over and over again which meant that you made defensive traps for anything coming your way, that way they'd get to fly into your guns instead of both of you firing back at each other in passing.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There are games out there that try to make it as realistic as possible, it's just that space combat would be ultra long range and visually boring as gently caress.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
There's also the fact that, in a realistic world, if SDF really wanted to win the war all they'd have to do is fire a sufficiently large railgun slug at any landmass in the northern hemisphere.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Scorch is the best titan, and I will hear nothing else. :flame:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

And here's where the wheels start to come off any argument that I'm even slightly competent at this game. The factory we go to starting in this mission is where the game begins to really open up and thus ends up stripping down some of the Advanced Movement possibilities for a lot of the fights. Instead you need to make good use of cloaking and engage in firefights like the other FPS games out there. If TF2 had lovely weapon selection or bad aiming mechanics this would be more of a problem, but something you'll notice through the game is that I want to be flinging myself around like a moron full time and so it can be sort of difficult for me to not have the opportunity to do so at all times. It will also be apparent from this video that I have about zero timing ability.

So let's talk about some of the stuff I ramble about this episode. In a lot of ways the factory we see in the video makes total sense. If you are sending people out to the far reaches of space they are probably giving up a lot of comforts already. Amazon Prime, for instance, has no interplanetary service now and despite Blue Origin being a thing, doesn't seem to be gearing up for that type of expansion soon. Providing decent, familiar housing is a simple and effective way to make some far off moon feel like home for the new colonists. It's not like we don't already build pre-fab houses and trailers, the IMC is just mechanizing and modularizing the process to an insane degree that ends up churning out houses so similar it makes a Levittown look like a masterclass in unique constructions. This also reminds us that the IMC was here before we attacked and tells us that they had more than a passing interest on the planet. As the game goes on you see more varied types of buildings and installations (never residences, oddly enough considering what this factory produces) that say quite a bit about just how lived on/in the world is. I thought that was neat and worth remarking upon.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 14, 2017

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
It might be on my end, but it seems there's an audio delay of about one second.

Edit: as for the LMG you pick up, the Devotion is probably the most hated standard weapon in the game, and for good reason. :v:
The short of it is that even after being nerfed it hits hard and the ramp-up mechanic means it can be easily tap-fired while at range and ramped up when fighting in close quarters, turning this into a more flexible DMR (or a G2 with auto-fire) that can be pretty effective up close when properly pre-fired. In most games you can expect someone to set up somewhere high with an Amped Wall to ramp up its damage to ludicrous levels allowing a user with half-decent aim and good situational awareness to murder the enemy team while being protected by the wall.
It also makes the Spitfire LMG kind-of redundant since its only advantage over the Devotion is the larger magazine size.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 12, 2017

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
There is an ever so slight desync in the game audio, yes.

I also love this comically oversized space trailer home factory, where they use gigantic robotic arms to install sofas and bookshelves with the books already on them, and I'm assuming glued in place.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Yeah, I can't figure out why the source video is fine on audio but YouTube is off. Last time this happened I had to rework the audio and reprocess, so I'll have a replacement sometime tomorrow.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Ash: This place is meant to kil--*lazy falls off and dies*
Lazy: You really have to pay atte-*gets crushed by ceiling*
Lazy: It's important to time your ju--*Falls into deathpit*

this location completely rules though

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Pre-fabricated housing is nothing new but a giant factory that essentially 'prints' a full on house, complete with foundation and tiny front yard (with authentic grass) is pretty neat, especially to go through. Looking around you can see all of the parts of the process.

Which is what Lazyfire should have done. Look before you leap :v:

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
They really used the chance to tell a single player story to flesh out their gameworld, and it's really giving me a Tribes meets Heavy Gear vibe. It's really fun.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Psion posted:

So I have a huge issue with drop pods in games/media. They never meet basic cost/benefit metrics. I mean, look at it this way: they are always at least 8 to ten feet tall, six feet wide and only carry one person at a time. They would be incredibly heavy and moving a bunch of them would be difficult, requiring special equipment on the ship or vehicles dedicated to moving them. All that takes up more functional space.

Then you have to consider how you need these things to be rated for atmospheric entry, how they have multiple potential failure points (parachute not opening/thrusters not firing, door not opening or opening too early) and even if everything works out you always end up with guys spread out or killed by enemy fire or knocked out due to some other factor.

At that point you have to think a drop ship or space glider would be overall more efficient and remove a bunch of the issues associated with drop pods in games/movies. Everyone gets off in one spot, everyone keeps their weapons. Instead of hundreds of bulky pods and equipment associated with them that only get one use you now have a few dozen ships that can be used multiple times and for a number of operations, not just assaults and missions, but ferrying people in the fleet and diplomatic missions to planets. And it is always going to be easier to rate the construction, design and assembly of one huge object instead of hundreds of small ones.

Drop pods are cool looking and a good narrative device for why a character is split off from everyone else, but no military would ever deal with them as a method to deploy soldiers.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Lazyfire posted:

Drop pods are cool looking and a good narrative device for why a character is split off from everyone else, but no military would ever deal with them as a method to deploy soldiers.

I think, on top of looking 'cool', the niche drop pods are supposed to fill is quick insertion of a single squad with small, quick vehicles that can get someone planetside quickly and be very difficult to track and intercept with ground AAA so there's a better chance of them getting in. How the people inside remain combat effective after being fired at the surface going the speed of sound I don't know.

With larger shuttles or space-landing craft there's a much higher chance of it being discovered and it'll be much easier to hit, which increases the risk that no one makes it. Still, Psion and ManSedan have a point in that launching a jeep with rockets out of the hangar of a ship is an incredibly stupid way to deploy someone, I don't even think our guy was strapped to anything. The gravity of the moon is low enough that they could just jumped out without hurting themselves.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

radintorov posted:

They really took it too literally. Like excessively so.
Why would you have a space Coast Guard and call it so in the first place?! :psyduck:

Space Coast: Coast to Coast?

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

There are some advantages to drop pods- a single-use pod would literally be a million times cheaper than a shuttle designed to fly from space to a planet's surface and back again multiple times. Sure, dropping from orbit in a tin coffin would be incredibly dangerous, but so is jumping out a plane with a bedsheet in your backpack, and 'acceptable losses' will always be a thing in military procurement.

Of course, the real reason so much scifi uses them is so they can steal story ideas from WW2 movies about squads parachuting behind enemy lines.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Lazyfire posted:

So I have a huge issue with drop pods in games/media.

Titanfall 1 drop pods held 4. Checkmate :colbert:

But "space parachutes" is pretty much right on, as Inferior points out.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
The ones here in 2 seemed to hold more than one if I remember right too, might have been 4 also?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Nalesh posted:

The ones here in 2 seemed to hold more than one if I remember right too, might have been 4 also?

I would point to the first video in the TF2 series where the player character drops in solo. So now we're dealing with multiple types of drop pod.

The thing about space capable drop ships vs. pods is that not only are they reusable, they have more uses than just sending someone to the ground, so you hit multiple procurement requirements at once. The ones in TF2 are even hyperspace capable.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Lazyfire posted:

I would point to the first video in the TF2 series where the player character drops in solo. So now we're dealing with multiple types of drop pod.

Isn't that an escape pod, though?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Probably one of the best depictions I've seen of a drop pod was in Rogue Trooper, where they're small (actually 1 man units) and their main reason for use (aside from a potential 'we used up all our money in making these super soldiers') is overwhelming AA defenses through sheer numbers.

Because while drop ships are indeed reusable and fit more procurement requirements they also make bigger targets :v:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Lazyfire posted:

It will also be apparent from this video that I have about zero timing ability.

Nonsense, you have great comedic timing.

Regarding drop pods, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Warhammer 40K. There the pods are reserved for the trans-human super soldiers who can survive the physical costs associated with dropping from orbit, and they can fit entire squads.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Polaron posted:

Isn't that an escape pod, though?
Yeah, that was an escape pod.
Namely a "Mark VIII Lifeboat" according to the onboard computer.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah that wasnt a drop pod, poo poo hit the fan and they didnt have time to load up into a dropship, which they most certainly do have.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The Retribution has a dropship, but it doesn't have a dropship that can load 4 Humvees.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You see proper drop pods being used to insert grunts in multiplayer and they hold multiple troops.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Also speaking of optimizing movement, the WR for the training gauntlet is scary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-F_QT8TexE

Also the devotion is amazing for flanking, where that spinup time isn't as punishing.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 13, 2017

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I want to watch the Titanfall videos, but I also really want to play it myself. Is Origin still crap on PC?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It's fine. It was fine for TF1, it's fine now.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

IronSaber posted:

I want to watch the Titanfall videos, but I also really want to play it myself. Is Origin still crap on PC?

It's gotten a lot better since the early days. I'd say almost on par with steam for everything but chat.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The only downside with Origin is the lack of built in screenshot capability, I think.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

ManSedan posted:

On the other hand I will admit that having drones perform catch-and-assist landings is pretty neat.

A well deck makes a bit of sense on a space warship. You still want all your material in the same place for deployment, and it's not like you can treat your fighters like scabs on the exterior. Admittedly most fictions refer to it just as the generic "Hangar", they might just say it's a "Well Deck" out of tradition because the navy is stupidly bound by tradition (seriously, when I was in boot, sex was only between a man and his wife, who was over the age of 12, and only in the missionary position... as was written in your training literature).

The part that makes the least sense to me is having them deploy in non-enclosed Humvee's where a 'whoopsie" can lead to somebody floating off into space. There's a reason why the ground equipment in Mass Effect is all enclosed (which also has the 'well deck', if ya'll recall).

I just laugh at the fact that apparently the Moon is the modern equivalent of a freaking airport. Complete with Scientology style "space 747's". Do they have a Lunar Elevator to get to the Moon for that?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I think it'd have been cool if you staged off the Tigris for the drop. It would've been a cool opportunity to see it. Compare and contrast your huge (but busted) carrier to the small (but not busted) destroyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

IronSaber posted:

Origin is fine and has been totally fine for years. The only major complaint I have is that the shop is a mess to navigate. It groups stuff by franchise and puts DLC for some games before the title itself. Annoying but liveable.

• Locked thread