Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Bloody Pom posted:

To this date I still don't think there is space combat in a game that tops Freespace 2.

The Director's Cut of Strike Suit Zero got pretty close in my book. The lack of any 'DIVE DIVE DIVE' moments, Their Finest Hour missions or the finale being a minute to get to the jump gate or else be supernova'd are what held it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Strike Suit Zero was dope and I need to finish it someday.

I definitely think the Titanfall vehicle sections are better. For one thing it's an actual major part of the gameplay and story; in Infinite Warfare being a badass space pilot seems pretty secondary to your character being a badass space commando.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Something I'm surprised hasn't come up is the way TF2's campaign was created. Respawn basically held and internal gamejam, creating over a hundred individual little combat/platforming/puzzle segments, and picking the best ones and stitching them together into a campaign. It definitely paid off.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I'm sure their leader (Adolf Stalin) will meet a gruesome but much deserved end.

He will try to shot himself, but suffer a stroke before he can pull the trigger.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

White Coke posted:

He will try to shot himself, but suffer a stroke before he can pull the trigger.

Due to being poisoned by a treacherous, somehow even more evil Lieutenant named Laverntiy Himmler.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Honestly, I think if CoD went full-on supercheese and had a constantly wisecracking hero fight Adolf Stalin and The Legion of the Red Reich, it would markedly improve things.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

CommissarMega posted:

Honestly, I think if CoD went full-on supercheese and had a constantly wisecracking hero fight Adolf Stalin and The Legion of the Red Reich, it would markedly improve things.

Call of Duty: Sanguine Tyrannosaurus indeed.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
It also helps that BT is a cool robot buddy. Your jackal has... nose art, I guess.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

ManSedan posted:

It also helps that BT is a cool robot buddy. Your jackal has... nose art, I guess.

I like the robobuddy in IW though, he's just sassy enough :v:

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

Nalesh posted:

I like the robobuddy in IW though, he's just sassy enough :v:

Oh yeah I totally forgot Ethan. Ethan's a great robot buddy.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
I want to post Titanfall 2 memes about being slow, but most, if not all of them are slightly spoilery, so I won't. Yet.

here's a preview:

This is Lazyfire as seen through the lens of an elitist, superfast pilot (like me).

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

I want to post Titanfall 2 memes about being slow, but most, if not all of them are slightly spoilery, so I won't. Yet.

here's a preview:

This is Lazyfire as seen through the lens of an elitist, superfast pilot (like me).

Not inaccurate, I have to say.

Speaking of super elite pilots, it looks like I have the house to myself this weekend and thus no plans. Any PC TF2 people want to do some multiplayer?

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Lazyfire posted:

Speaking of super elite pilots, it looks like I have the house to myself this weekend and thus no plans. Any PC TF2 people want to do some multiplayer?

Oh hell yes. I'm so down I'm practically clipping through the floor.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Lazyfire posted:

Count me in as well. (VolticSurge#8055 on Discord)

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 24, 2017

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Depends on the time, as I live in UTC +2 hours, but if I can make it work, I am definitely showing up!

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I'm utc+2 too but someone has to show you how hot scorch is :v:

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Lazyfire posted:

I'd be down for some PC TF2 MP.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

Depends on the time, as I live in UTC +2 hours, but if I can make it work, I am definitely showing up!

I'll totally accept a trash connection on my end for a while. I'm us east coast, so I don't think we can do much with everybody who said they are interested, but I can be on early Saturday or Sunday and play a few rounds. I plan on recording these so bring your A game (and carry me).

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Lazyfire posted:

I'll totally accept a trash connection on my end for a while. I'm us east coast, so I don't think we can do much with everybody who said they are interested, but I can be on early Saturday or Sunday and play a few rounds. I plan on recording these so bring your A game (and carry me).

My connection to US is fine personally, toss me a message on discord(Nalesh#5534, or on the reticulatedsplines discord) when ya figure out a time.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

If you were ever looking for "average side missions" these two would qualify. The first one, by all accounts, is pretty fun in that you are starting off in the zero g infantry mode and spend most of the mission that way. It's actually pretty cool for a bit until you remember that the reason you don't see much of it through the course of the game is that the controls are perhaps a bit wonky. I don't mention it much for a couple more videos, but I use a configuration that is a bit different than the defaults for IW. Essentially, my jump key and my tactical grenade buttons (X and L1, respectively) are swapped, as are my melee (R3) and duck (circle). That means I don't have to take my thumbs off of the control sticks unless I need to throw a tactical grenade or go prone or melee, but it also changes how some of your flight controls and zero g stuff work. I honestly think that with the advent of the Advanced Movement system they should have enforced the "bumper jumper" control scheme as the default. The setup takes some time to get used to, but the benefits of being able to aim and look while using AM stuff is too great to ignore. I will talk about it at length if given the opportunity, but the PC version of Black Ops 3 played so different from the PS4 version because ALL players had the ability to jump and aim and move around at the same time. Half the fights took place mostly in the air as going up didn't hurt your ability to track the other player and shoot the way it would with default controls on a console. I'm not exactly great at IW multiplayer as it is, but I hate to think what I would be if I used default controls. God, I suck at like every multiplayer game I play, I don't know why I bother.

So anyway, it would have been fun if you had more options for space planes through the game, stealing them like you do in the first mission here would have been the best way to bring them into the fold. I would have taken preset space plane loadouts over three of each type of weapon, as a matter of fact. However, the truth is you don't see your own space plane during combat and I'm pretty sure Infinity Ward wasn't spending the time to create multiple planes with different attributes when they had a full campaign to do. Maybe one of the 18 other companies involved in the production of the game could have taken the initiative, though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

One thing I've seen done is having the missile launchers be a series of railgun tubes that fired missiles.

I mean, if you can throw solid slugs at fractions of the speed of light why not throw explosive slugs that can guide themselves? :v:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Railguns are already extremely hilarious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU_253_TkSM
(They also got multi shot salvos working recently, current range is over 100 nautical miles at mach 6)

Now imagine that, but not slowed down by air, explosive, and steerable.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Aug 24, 2017

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Nalesh posted:

My connection to US is fine personally, toss me a message on discord(Nalesh#5534, or on the reticulatedsplines discord) when ya figure out a time.

I'm thinking Saturday. I get up early and don't run Saturday so I will have more free time during the day.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

ManSedan posted:

I definitely think the Titanfall vehicle sections are better. For one thing it's an actual major part of the gameplay and story; in Infinite Warfare being a badass space pilot seems pretty secondary to your character being a badass space commando.

To be honest it kind of fits better too in Titanfall. Probably mainly because the whole game was designed around the whole pilot/Titan thing like you say, but even minus that it makes logical sense for one person to effectively be trained in being both a commando type and run what is effectively an infantry fighting vehicle (especially since Titans use a neural link, so being better at running around as a commando type probably has a similar boost to your effectiveness making a man-shaped machine run around better too). IW having you be both an uber ace fighter pilot AND a commando is a bit less plausible, those are a hell of a lot different in terms of military skills involved and would take a hell of a lot of training to keep up in just one area, much less both. Throw in being a carrier captain (who can run off in the middle of every drat battle away from commanding said carrier) and you're pretty much in Mary Sue territory. Which admittedly I can tolerate in video games when your character is the Mary Sue (power fantasy after all), but it does feel a lot more immersive when you're someone more like Cooper in Titanfall 2 who feels like it's reasonable given the background (member of a ragtag militia, been getting personal training from an experienced mentor, having to step up because no one else available without a lot of unrealistic twisting to reach that plot, etc) to be where he is in the game. Also helps that he feels like somebody who's probably going "oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo!" somewhere in his head through all the craziness, where the IW protagonist main personality trait seems to be Mr Tacticool Oorah without a lot more depth than that.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I'm now thinking Saturday for both TF2 MP sessions. Add BromanJenkins on Origin if you want to participate. I'll have a Discord channel set up and send out links when we are ready to start.

I just need those interested to give me a window when they could play so we can try to make it work for everyone.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Lazyfire posted:

I'm now thinking Saturday for both TF2 MP sessions. Add BromanJenkins on Origin if you want to participate. I'll have a Discord channel set up and send out links when we are ready to start.

I just need those interested to give me a window when they could play so we can try to make it work for everyone.

Any time before 8 PM EDT is good for me. Past that I've got other nerd things I'm looking into doing that also manages to have multiple people and Titanfall 2 involved.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

I'm technically free all day EST on Saturday.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

If there's one thing I've learned from doing this set of LPs it is that I should really not be using nothing but faces of characters for the title cards on either of them. There are just too few opportunities to get good shots of friends and enemies.

So here we have two of the better side missions on offer in Infinite Warfare. In the first one you take on a ship transporting chemical weapons and in the second you get to sneak around in an effort to rescue some engineers. They tend to be a bit more challenging than the other missions we've seen recently, and that's OK. The first one is surprisingly difficult simply because in the opening segment you start taking damage if you go too low. I promptly forget this and take a stupid death. The other mission is more focused on stealth and so is something of an outlier in IW as stealth is by and large missing from the game save for a couple "shoot one guy and I'll shoot the others" segments along stuff like what we see here. If you have to pick an area where IW beats TF2 handily I think the stealth stuff is the clear winner, but that's sort of unfair as TF2 has very limited stealth stuff as it is. You would think that with the time they invested in coming up with that radial stealth meter and the inclusion of the cool pulse vision you get in the mission in the video that we would get a bit more like this, but we should know better by now. I don't want to trash IW because it is a fun game despite some of its faults, but it really feels like separate companies made each main mission and then (as I've said before) a series of interns crafted the side missions using what the other employees already made. You'll see what I mean when we get back into the next story mission, which is next video. The theme and action are very different from what we've been seeing lately.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So I'm thinking like 12-3 US East Coast (so six to eight) to start for multiplayer? I think everyone who was interested said they would be available around the same time so it seems sort of silly to run two sessions as I don't think we'll have more than six of us.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Aye that's around dinner for me I think, so I should be around.

Also been doing a few of the pve defense missions to get used to the game again and the upgraded scorch shield still melts titans :getin:

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 26, 2017

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I should be able to participate (and show off my horrible aim) as well. I've sent you a friend request on Origin.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Was the news reporter at the end of that first mission worried that leaking chemical agents from the ship we blew up would somehow escape Venus' atmosphere and drift over to Earth?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Discord server link for those who are interested in playing today. I have super limited experience with Discord, so this should be fun.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So it took me until just now (2 hours) to get my computer's audio sorted out again. Turns out I had to just disable my mic from all channels and it would have been fine. I should also have just changed discord's audio channel. Jesus I messed that up.

Fun games, though.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

So it took me until just now (2 hours) to get my computer's audio sorted out again. Turns out I had to just disable my mic from all channels and it would have been fine. I should also have just changed discord's audio channel. Jesus I messed that up.

Fun games, though.
Speaking of, here's the clip I mentioned in the first of the two games I was in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfOMNdL495k

That titan really sent that guy flying.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

radintorov posted:

Dude deserved it, he was in the way of a Titan. This game's multiplayer, man.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

radintorov posted:

I need to get out of my Titan more often. Apparently he needs to vent his frustrations occasionally.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Lazyfire posted:

Fun games, though.

I'm kinda really, really sad that I couldn't wake myself up in time for this today. Hope y'all had a great time, and can't wait to see the carnage!

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Pythonicus posted:

I'm kinda really, really sad that I couldn't wake myself up in time for this today. Hope y'all had a great time, and can't wait to see the carnage!

Same. Completely forgot I was having a friend over. Hope I'll get another chance to play with you guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
I skipped the session, but only because I have terrible Internet connections even to European players. I had a lot of fun with TF1 back when that came out, and I just finished playing through TF2's single-player. I'll have to get stuck into some of the multi, whenever I'm not indulging ME:A or Overwatch instead.

Thanks for recommending it while it was on sale, Lazyfire! It took a week to download, but it was so worth it. I think my only complaint with the campaign would be that they should give BT a bunch of damage resistance whenever you're out and about in Pilot mode, because you really can't afford to jump out and rodeo most of the enemy Titans in the game and that's a real shame. You should definitely show it off on one of the easier fights, though, because it's so much fun to do.

• Locked thread