Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What the hell happens next?
This poll is closed.
They literally set fire to the ring by accident 2 2.22%
They literally set fire to the ring on purpose 6 6.67%
Film 6 months of content accidentally using WWE prop belts 6 6.67%
Rehire Jeff Jarrett 23 25.56%
Start splicing in archival footage of AJ Styles and pretending it's current 23 25.56%
Accidentally switch the live Pop TV feed to the WWE Network 6 6.67%
Lose the keys to the production truck, film 6 months of content in the parking lot with a Samsung 7 7.78%
Sue a fan who flips the bird on air, lose all company rights to said fan 13 14.44%
Somehow everything gets good and they start making money (Comedy Option) 4 4.44%
Total: 90 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

DJExile posted:

Did he and Jarrett make amends?

I don't think he ever hated Jarrett outside of his loyalty to Russo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Wait I assumed MRT was joking are you goofballs serious what the hell jarrett

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The only reason to doubt it is that it involved GFW.

Admittedly, that alone is a very, very strong reason.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Ok so place your bets.

Who is going to be stupid enough to buy TNA/GFW/etc.?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

DJExile posted:

lmao no it loving isn't

It is extremely valuable relative to TNA itself, which has extremely negative worth.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

coconono posted:

They'll lose TV and become internet only. Its viable.

Impact Wrestling, live on hitbox.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Ahem MRT I am a huge winner in this.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also, why is Anthem surprised TNA is bleeding money? Did they expect changing the name would shoot ratings and house show buys back up? Even the greatest booker on earth couldn't book a company like TNA out of their funk in half a year.

About 100% of wrestling promoters think they have the ideas that will actually make money instead of losing their asses.

About 5% of them are right.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Oh my god that is WCW pace.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

rovert posted:

He kinda back tracked on that claim.

I just don't see how they are spending that money these days.

When you consider they're making approximately $0, it gets more plausible.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

It's really not though. To lose a bit more than that a week WCW had to put on massive money losing live events every week, blow up a bunch of cars and spend $30 million on talent. The talent is almost all per date now, they have a skeleton crew, and run no shows.

Maybe Dixie is being paid $50 million to be a consultant.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

rovert posted:

Something I learned today is that they were shooting a documentary about Jarrett and creative since June following them behind the scenes.

I'd imagine it'll never see the light of day now though.

Finish it, title it The Self-Destruction of Jeff Jarrett, and put it on PPV.

Best selling TNA PPV ever.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I imagine the logic behind buying TNA is something like this:

"Well ok, Dixie Carter managed to build this thing into something that got over a million TV viewers every week, surely I can do better than Dixie!"

This logic ignores that the wrestling business when TNA was growing is very different from the business today, and that TNA as a company is more or less the most toxic thing in wrestling.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

ok is there a way to get rid of the giant banner because if not this is the worst player ever

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

i'm watching a 50 minute best of kevin nash matches video

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

syzpid posted:

I'm watching ONO Knockouts from last year...

A nearly 30 minute opening segment with Maria and Mike which is awful
First match ends with ref distraction and a countout
Second match is the Shelly Martinez - Rebel match. It's 6 minutes long, 3 minutes or so in it's bad, but nothing that bad. In just the last 3 minutes it manages to become the worst match I've ever seen on a televised event and I've been watching wrestling for almost 30 years now.
Third match finish involves a ref bump

There couldn't have been more then a few thousand people paying for these ONO PPVs could there?

By the time they started doing ONO PPVs they could only get a few thousand people to buy their PPVs that actually mattered.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

They openly display the links to the MP4s in the source code

So you can just go download any show you want

Of all the times for Naitch to be in Mexico...

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

sbaldrick posted:

I pay no attention to whatever this company is called but I'm going to Bound for Glory...what should I know

Chant for AJ Styles as loud as possible.

Also chant HI-RE RU-SSO.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

sbaldrick posted:

It's going to flop hard. I think local show maybe get a couple of hundred people.

Oh, if you can, try to take pictures of the crowd to show us later.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Not if it's in the same way the WWE network brings in more revenue at greatly increased costs and lowered profitability. Or in TNA's case, higher losses.

Well the service won't kill their PPV revenue (if they have any) since one of the benefits of a subscription is reduced-cost PPV, not actually getting them with the service.

Not that their service has any chance of succeeding, but this probably won't hurt any existing revenue streams they have.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Bigass Moth posted:

Do we know the buyrate for TNAs PPVs over the last year? It can't possibly be more than 100 people right?

They were doing in the 7000 range in 2013 before their ratings really started to collapse (and Spike cancelled them).

If you asked me to pull a number out of my rear end, I'd guess somewhere in the 1000 range for the live story-relevant PPVs nowadays.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

oh my god the section b seating is the worst

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

i'm pretty sure that seating is arranged in such a way as to make high school gyms look good.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Grem posted:

I have no idea how he got on TNA. I thought that was a middle-big deal. He's had 1 wrestling match that he lost. His gimmick is lifted straight from the Hardy Boyz and a loving comic book. It's going to be bad. Really, really bad.

They were, but they've been in a steady decline/sometimes death spiral since 2013, and the vast majority of their talent are people willing to work for very cheap.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I still can't believe Storm got into NXT, was well-received by the crowd and then promptly returned to TNA. I mean I'm pretty sure I remember that Dixie Carter offered him a good money deal but surely he must have known it was a short term prospect at best?

I'm pretty sure the deal was something crazy like $250k per year. I imagine that's not far from how much he'd have made if he ended up on the main roster, if not more (and more than 2 and a half times what he'd have made in NXT), and he had to work a lot less.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Wait

Wait

TNA is building to their Wrestlemania with a series of matches and angles that are 3 years old featuring guys who are no longer in the company

No this is a completely independent thing from their storylines trying to trick idiots into giving them money, like their One Night Onlies but much sadder.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

Dos Caras Jr is basically what El Generico was satirizing

Mexicans?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Eli Wiggum posted:

What was TNA's business plan?

"TV would hinder our creativity, edgy weekly PPVs.is the secret to making money."

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

fart blood posted:

Why are people who invest in wrestling so stupid?

You need to either be stupid or insane to get involved in wrestling in the first place, and Vince McMahon took all the insanity for himself.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

When I was born most people in wrestling made money and the ones who didn't went out of business very quickly.

This too.

Modern wrestling is special in that lots of companies dreaming of being the next WWE think they can spend their way into having WWE's fanbase, forgetting that it takes a lot of time to build up fanbases capable of funding anything vaguely close to what WWE has.

Then they forget the 'get people to pay for our product' step and spend a lot more money to try and make up for that.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

oatgan posted:

i can answer all of your questions

why?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Checking their website, they have sold out.

Sold out the first three rows, which by my count is 180 seats. Everything else is considered General Admission, and they still have plenty of those seats available.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I feel like Moose's drop is a combination of him going to TNA and the rise of Jeff Cobb and Keith Lee to take his place of lovable big indy people.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

I think they also want to try to use it as a way for people who don't get Pop to watch the show, not that this is a significant population but I got that impression from the owner's WOR interview.

Since they seem to think they have a long-term plan, maybe their goal is to eventually eliminate TV entirely and have Impact be an show on their free service to convince people to buy it?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm not necessarily gonna criticize TNA too much for Early AJ but Late TNA AJ absolutely should've been the ace of the company and they just let him walk.

AJ's interviews shortly after he left TNA were the most mind-blowing thing.

Like, a few months after he left he realized that he was really talented and TNA was treating him like poo poo.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

rovert posted:

Going out on a major limb here I know but expect more releases very soon.

This era of the company is being referred to as "Total Nonstop D’Amore" by those involved with the company.

Do you expect them to bring in people to replace said releases, or is it just a pure roster reduction?

Or is it people who were fine working for them to hang out in Florida but aren't as keen on a vacation to Canada?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

please be careful not to become jeff jarrett, friend

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Trevor Lee was one of those guys who I remember having a lot of hype, then he started working in TNA and that hype died a swift death.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I'm not saying Trevor Lee is not cool and good, just that I've heard way, way, way less about him being cool and good since he joined TNA than before he did. It's possible I'm just not looking in the right places for Trevor Lee hype though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Testekill posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryYcyt8FPlg

Why does nobody talk about this bizarre bit of TNA history?

Because that is not as bizarre as making Mick Foley your world champion, which happened on that very same PPV.