Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What the hell happens next?
This poll is closed.
They literally set fire to the ring by accident 2 2.22%
They literally set fire to the ring on purpose 6 6.67%
Film 6 months of content accidentally using WWE prop belts 6 6.67%
Rehire Jeff Jarrett 23 25.56%
Start splicing in archival footage of AJ Styles and pretending it's current 23 25.56%
Accidentally switch the live Pop TV feed to the WWE Network 6 6.67%
Lose the keys to the production truck, film 6 months of content in the parking lot with a Samsung 7 7.78%
Sue a fan who flips the bird on air, lose all company rights to said fan 13 14.44%
Somehow everything gets good and they start making money (Comedy Option) 4 4.44%
Total: 90 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Never mind 'how is this company still alive?"

'WHY' is this company still alive? Who actually benefits from being part of this company? It's really hard to even say 'all the people who are employed there' when you're trying to figure out when the money is coming and where is it coming from?

Do they have ANYTHING in terms of assets? Their branding has been painted over, they don't have an actual TV slot and their fanbase has completely withered on the vine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Was Billy Corgan always as crazy as Billy Corgan or did he get crazier with age?
I mean you'd think even he would look at the negative brand appeal of TNFWimpact and think 'I'm better off starting at 0 with my own brand than with this tainted shitshow.'

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'm pretty bad at conceptualizing stuff that floor layout so I fully expected to have no idea what you all were going nuts over.
Then I saw the floor layout and holy poo poo even I understood.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Yeah pro wrestling doesn't exactly attract the progressive mindset.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Maxwell Lord posted:

I had no idea Nakamura was in TNA but- man they had EVERY loving opportunity in their loving hands didn't they.

Weren't all those guys just on excursion?
Like, there was no chance they were going to be in TNA or the US for any extended length of time even if they knew what they had?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MassRafTer posted:

Some were on excursion some were in for random dates. An excursion lasts a year or more. You can't do something with a wrestler in a year? That's like the ideal time to have a wrestler these days, enough time to do a few good programs and not have them get stale. Then if they liked working there you might get dates on them in the future.

I guess the question is "How much does a company want to invest in a worker that isn't going to be there a year from now?"
Not that I'm denying that they could have done more with a lot of these workers.
But they weren't exactly hurting for the talent in the early days either.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MassRafTer posted:

WWE invested a WM title match in one, worked out well, ROH gave a guy their title, worked out well, WCW did a ton with Muta, etc etc. They weren't hurting for talent but hey, if they used talented wrestlers in actual programs with other talented wrestlers they might get over. Or you can book Okada as a racist caricature. Either way.

My working theory is that in those days TNA saw their talented workers, but also saw RoH and realized that RoH's level of success was their ceiling if they built around those guys so you wound up with the TNA we know and laugh at. It was kind of like The Chargers replacing Schottenheimer with Norv Turner.

And young Okada was no Goldberg or Brock Lesnar in terms of name recognition.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MassRafTer posted:

Who cares if he didn't have name recognition, we're talking about booking him in good programs that weren't racist garbage, not booking the entire company around him.

Then why compare him to Rock, Brock, Goldberg and Batista when bringing up names that worked out on a one-year deal?

And obviously you don't book him in racist garbage. You don't do that to anybody.

TNA was burdened by a vision that they A) Could never achieve and B) Could never accept they couldn't achieve. So they sold out to old guys WWE didn't want anymore in a desperate attempt to achieve that vision. And by the time the ceiling collapsed it was far past the time where it could be salvaged.
TNA would have been infinitely better off if Jeff Jarrett realized what he actually meant to the business.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MassRafTer posted:

I've also cited Muta, Liger and Morishima in this discussion. Liger and Morishima had very little exposure in the US before their runs, Muta didn't have much either.

Were they actually on excursion?
I did not know that.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MassRafTer posted:

But basically the idea was "Push these guys hard so we can have footage of them being successful in the US, and then we can push them when they get back."

So what happened with Okada? Did they not pass the message to TNA or did TNA just decide 'nah'?
Did they get many excursions after that?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Yes, because Vince Russo can't look at himself objectively.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

That's dumb in its own way.
At this point Nakamura was a champion, he wasn't just a young boy on excursion.
One thing TNA could have hypothetically had over WWE at the time was the notion of international cooperation.
And they were like 'OR we could bring in Test and give him a gimmick that will immediately get us C&Ded...decisions, decisions'

But again, the closest thing I have to a rational theory is the notion of 'This is something RoH would do, and RoH will never be bigger than they are right now. We want to be bigger than RoH so we have to do things differently because you can't actually sell wrestling to the mainstream.'

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

As somebody who knows next to nothing about Tanahashi...then what is he?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok, switching the subject:

Who were the worst WCW/WWF guys in TNA? Not the worst wrestlers, but the most useless and actively detrimental to the product.
I mean other than Jeff Jarrett.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

TNA needed 3 things to function as a company.

1) Jeff Jarrett needed to realize his name was associated with failure and that any company with him as a figurehead would be evocative of the dying years of WCW.
2) Jeff Jarrett needed to realize Vince Russo's name was associated with failure and that any company with him as the architect would be evocative of the dying years of WCW.
3) TNA needed to accept that wrestling isn't a growth industry, the boom was over and they'd likely never be much bigger than they were when they started. They should have aspired for stability rather than thinking they could rival WWE with a bunch of guys WWE didn't want anymore. Really a lot of us needed to accept this. We weren't ready for the Monday Night Wars to be over. We weren't ready for Vince to have all the cool toys (even though he already had all the cool toys by the time he bought WCW anyway). We wanted the danger and desperation and innovation that came with having to fight for something. We wanted workers to have another option to thrive. We didn't want Vince to get complacent. It happened regardless. TNA didn't do, and could never do, anything to stop it.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 11, 2018

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MassRafTer posted:

The US has also never supported a viable #2, at least a company trying to compete with #2. Territories were little monopolies and when competition came to town business might get hot briefly, but within a few years and usually less one or sometimes both would die. On a national basis you had a couple years in the 80s when JCP was expanding and still strong, and if you are generous 94-early 99, but realistically WWF was losing money from 96-97 and in serious trouble in 97 so you had a year and a half of back and forth until the now, then a year of back and forth in 98.

Other than that the second biggest company has been a massive disaster or so far behind #1 they aren't a threat at all.

Well yes, that's what I said basically.
But they saw 94-99 and decided 'It can be done'
And it couldn't. Partially because they didn't have a billionaire with his own national television station backing them up. Partially because one side had all the marketable talent and had established itself the the unquestioned wrestling brand in the country'
So it didn't matter what TNA did. "RoH with some name recognition' was their ceiling and nobody could accept that.
So now we have one wrestling company. One lame-rear end monument to marketing to the mainstream and maintaining their brand. Wish it didn't have to be so.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

grack posted:

Uh, no. Jeff Jarrett needed to realize that Vince Russo is one of the very worst writers in the history of professional wrestling.

I was being diplomatic.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ad by Khad posted:

Those wednesday and thursday shows go head-to-head against Overwatch League. That's no good.

OWL gets almost 300k viewers four days a week, TNA gonna be lucky to get 300

AGDQ almost beat TNA's TV ratings last year.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Don’t forget Rellik (killer spelled backwards).

Kcid Sihek Orb

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 16, 2018

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Suddenly TBS being a top 10 cable network makes way more sense.
So, basically everybody is just making shows for Netflix now and leaving conventional TV to rot on the vine?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Yeah. Let's not pretend that this is some kind of amazing feat for TNA.
It's amazing what a company can accomplish when it isn't expected to make money.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Well I guess Jarrett has one thing going for him: he never exactly booked himself as superman.

Edit: Reading this a little closer, nevermind.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Tato posted:

It's depressing to read the murder of Monty Brown laid out like that.

What's the appeal of booking yourself on top constantly while also making it so that you require 16 run-ins, 32 foreign objects, 64 swerves, and 128 referee distractions each match to hold onto the belt? According to those results, Jeff Jarrett the wrestler is the worst, weakest, most pathetic champion of all time.

It's probably a holdover from Jeff's Memphis upbringing.
Heels have to cheat or they arn't heels. If you have a heel champion, the crowd has to feel like the face has their number so they'll come back for the rematch.
And Russo is just a multiplier.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Mel Mudkiper posted:

like ask yourself right now

if someone jumped you in an alley and whipped out a goddamn acoustic guitar and said give me your money would you not feel like you could take that guy

I would not.
Partially because I feel like roughly 99.7% of the planet can take me in a fight.
Partially because Randy Savage learned the hard way that actual acoustic guitars are nothing to take to the dome.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The Kins posted:

There are currently 988 people watching Impact on Twitch, and 1,596 people watching a giggly Swede explore old German shareware disks.

TNA needs more chat interaction.
Get Moose to stop wrestling every 27 seconds and thank people for subscribing.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

That would be more humiliating for them, but less fun for me and less likely to result in beer money if I keep grinding at it. :v:

e: then again, if I did that, Bobby Roode and Tim Storm probably would come to my house to beat me up.

Tim Storm won't beat you up unless you have eyeholes.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I feel like a Scott Steiner one man show would either be the greatest thing the world has ever created or the worst.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I feel like the car combat genre died off for a reason.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Now that I think about it there are very few PS1 games that have aged well.
Symphony of the Night.
Metal Gear Solid, maybe.
And um...poo poo.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So just to clarify, what I am looking at here is Callihan trying to swing a baseball bat on a set up chair on top of Eddie Edwards, hitting the edge of the chair then Eddie getting cracked in the freaking skull by a mostly unchecked swing of a baseball bat?
JFC.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I always wondered how Villanos III-V felt about their roles.
Like, who wants to be the the fifth run of a gimmick. Who wants a #5 stapled to them for their whole career?
I mean, I guess he did. Family and tradition being what it is.

And wait, Villano V got unmasked. Why was he masked for the infamous 2016 match.
( I don't like criticizing that match. The average age of the Villanos was 56 or so in that match)

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I think the Villanos are just weird to me.
The gimmick seems super generic. Like 'El Santo probably beat these guys up en route to the real villain in one of his movies' generic.
Having III, IV and V in WCW with no sign of I and II was also bizarre.
(I would of course later learn that II died and I kinda retired as a result, leaving the world with the back half of the Villano quintet)

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MassRafTer posted:

Say hi to The Stro for me.

Wouldn't that be a violation of his shunning?

Aye Doc posted:

it absolutely could be. source: living 50 miles outside of pittsburgh

Wasn't/Isn't that Coal Mining country?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

RealFoxy posted:

I'm not even sure if it made it to air, but I do remember being there with Zaqtaro and filming it. It was a long rear end set of taping in a school gym in the middle of nowhere in front of MAYBE 15 paying people. They were doing this co-op with an animal shelter in the area and a wrestler had brought in a puppy from the shelter and it was sitting on the apron the match. Beau James came out to get heat, YANKED the dog off the apron, and dragged it to the back. I also think he said he was going to eat it, or some ridiculous poo poo.

Also I wanna add that the intermission lasted probably an hour and a half because Beau James wasn't happy with his promos and since we only brought two cameras with him the show literally could not go on until he was happy with his promo.

The 15 people there got absolutely nothing to do at intermission except look at the Billy Lit merch table (He wasn't even out there because he had to film promos too)

Intermission really should have ended with 0 paying customers.
But then again the intermission was still probably more entertaining than the show.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

coconono posted:

You're telling me the guy that took 2 months to ship me some DVDs, who then had the gall to inscribe a biblical verse about patience on the invoice is rude to animals?

unfucking possible.

You don't have to be surprised to be disgusted.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

One of these days I will understand why anybody likes Russo.
My only guess is that wrestlers utterly suck at value judgments.
Just utterly, utterly suck.

I mean except Jeff Jarrett.
Jarrett at least makes sense.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Listen to his wrestlecrap interview from back in the day. He comes off as genuinely charming and gregarious when face-to-face.

Oh dammit I was afraid of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It takes some real devotion to character to (allegedly) get fired from a company for showing off your kayfabe tattoos backstage to your jewish boss.