Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Donkey Kong Country: Flash Freeze

We've replaced all the rocket barrel levels with that helicopter flash game where you push one button to keep from flying into the green top or bottom walls that randomly get jaggier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

FirstAidKite posted:

Yesssss

That was it.

Hahahahahaa

Please tell me theres a good LP of this game I can watch, it looks too bad to be real.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

In Training posted:

It's easier to make a jump button and infinitely generated levels than to actually design something well

Making procedurally generated anything is a logistical nightmare, which is why 99% of them suck, because they think it will be easier to have the game make the levels instead of doing it themselves but it's not

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CJacobs posted:

It's actually way harder to make convincing procedural generation that doesn't suck, which is why 99% of them suck, because they think it will be easier to have the game make the levels instead of doing it themselves but it's not

Right, I meant easier in the sense of like, putting a game on steam to sell. Not easier in that it actually makes a fun game

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

http://store.steampowered.com/app/650670/Grimoire__Heralds_of_the_Winged_Exemplar/

Holy poo poo it's out :eyepop:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

And buggy as hell despite all the delays for bug testing :woop:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

In Training posted:

Right, I meant easier in the sense of like, putting a game on steam to sell. Not easier in that it actually makes a fun game

Well fair enough

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FirstAidKite posted:

Yesssss

That was it.

Hahahahahaa

We've certainly come a long way. What once took a whole studio to make, now TheD can make by himself and self-publish on PSN

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the peoplpe who helped bring gex 3 to nintendo 64 are the only people i trust to save the jrpg industry

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Donkey Kong Country: Flash Freeze

We've replaced all the rocket barrel levels with that helicopter flash game where you push one button to keep from flying into the green top or bottom walls that randomly get jaggier.

I remember someone in the Mario Maker thread figured out you could make rocket barrel levels by combining water with the fastest autoscrolling setting and it was great

mario maker switch please

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You know what, sure. It's about time Peach and Zelda got promotions.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I remember someone in the Mario Maker thread figured out you could make rocket barrel levels by combining water with the fastest autoscrolling setting and it was great

It was Macaluso and they were some of my favorite levels.

If nothing else I want a new Mario Maker so that the community can be re-energized.

When I was filling out the rest of the costumes for Super Expert mode, it kept giving me the same levels in the random roulette because nobody was playing anymore, and that was months ago.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Phantasium posted:

Shadow Madness, which ripped off FFVII's blocky artstyle nearly verbatim, and is awful to boot.

Involves a robot farmer, a floating head, and other "memorable" characters.

I remember being disappointed that the overworld map was a literal map of the world your player avatar walked on. Yeah, I get that's essentially what all overworld maps are but it took me right out of the game.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's been talked about since 1997 (the original release date) . It's another one of the Big Vaporware Games crossed off the list.

I think there are only two games left on that list - Half Life 3 and Beyond Good and Evil 2.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The Colonel posted:

the peoplpe who helped bring gex 3 to nintendo 64 are the only people i trust to save the jrpg industry

gex 2, actually. 3 never came to 64

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

It's been talked about since 1997 (the original release date) . It's another one of the Big Vaporware Games crossed off the list.

I think there are only two games left on that list - Half Life 3 and Beyond Good and Evil 2.

Their fates will be the same.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Zaggitz posted:

gex 2, actually. 3 never came to 64

is this some meme i'm not aware of

it's the way i was introduced to gex as a child and i hate it for that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gex 3 memes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

GEX 3:16

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The Colonel posted:

is this some meme i'm not aware of

it's the way i was introduced to gex as a child and i hate it for that

No I guess this is just me genuinely not knowing there was a gex 3 port.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zaggitz posted:

Please tell me theres a good LP of this game I can watch, it looks too bad to be real.
its honestly not that bad. the graphics and art are garbage but there are some okay gags in the writing (though the plot is terrible) and the combat is almost literally just ff7 minus the materia system, so it functions. it's also like 1/5th of the length of ff7 so it doesnt overstay its welcome.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kBrWNuQnD8

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Help Im Alive posted:

Hello that was me! I made about 4 of them I think. I would've kept making more but could only do so much with the water stage assets :v: They were super fun to make though. It makes me want to learn unity or gamemaker or whatever the hotness is to make my own full game of them.

The Rocket Barrel levels in TF are some of the most genuinely creative stages in a platformer I've ever seen, which is one of the reasons procedural generation is so boring to me. Like a randomly thrown together stage couldn't do what the Reckless Ride stage did where you traveled through a fruit processing factory and it told a story and had a beginning middle and end and UGH it's so good!!!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Macaluso posted:

Hello that was me! I made about 4 of them I think. I would've kept making more but could only do so much with the water stage assets :v: They were super fun to make though. It makes me want to learn unity or gamemaker or whatever the hotness is to make my own full game of them.

The Rocket Barrel levels in TF are some of the most genuinely creative stages in a platformer I've ever seen, which is one of the reasons procedural generation is so boring to me. Like a randomly thrown together stage couldn't do what the Reckless Ride stage did where you traveled through a fruit processing factory and it told a story and had a beginning middle and end and UGH it's so good!!!

Now that we know someone else is making MP4 I genuinely can't wait for Retro to make another 2d game. Their 2d level design is just sublime.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also it sucks

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Super Mario Bros 3 has 7 kingdoms. There could be an over-arching empire composed of smaller kingdoms, but I always assumed Peach was either the daughter of the king from World 1 or at least the Crown Princess meaning she was next in line. Remember, she spends most of her time playing tennis, golf, go-karts, and party games. You don't see her negotiating trade deals or colonizing Dinosaur Land or anything.

Being the Heir Apparent could mean she's given honorary lordship over a smaller but culturally significant county or city-state.

Long story short: There should be a Super Mario 4X game. I have copious amounts of notes about this if anyone wants.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

We aren't neanderthal enough to understand the glory of this crash-tastic game

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

what's the deal with this grimoire game i've never heard of

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've never properly played a Sonic or Mega Man, where should I start

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

With 2

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Jay Rust posted:

I'd say Mega Man X, but that's me

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Perfect answer. I just got Sonic 2 on 3DS in preparation for Mania and I forgot how good it is.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Mega Man's a really long and sprawling series with a lot of good games and a lot of bad games

I'd probably have you try Mega Man 1 or 2 just to see how you like it. the game you're most likely to get into is Mega Man X, the SNES game, though

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

casual reminder that the Mega Man Zero games were the apex of Mega Man's gameplay

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The legacy collection 1 is great, if you're curious about mega man

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

look at this fuckin sape

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

play megaman battle network 3

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Cowcaster posted:

what's the deal with this grimoire game i've never heard of

an insane racist man started making a cashgrab wizardry clone in the late 90s and didn't finish until today

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

corn in the bible posted:

an insane racist man started making a cashgrab wizardry clone in the late 90s and didn't finish until today

huh. neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

mmbn3 is the best mega man but mm1-3 or 4 i dunno. are good too. and mmx

• Locked thread