Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Wolfenstein TNO's gameplay is not very fun imo but it's mostly because the enemies all have too much health. Give me more enemies with less health over fewer enemies with more health any day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i still don't know why the designers of mega man legends 2 decided, after finally getting decent controls, it would be a good idea to build several dungeons around making those controls feel like poop

it's a real shame cause i like all of the writing just as much as legends 1 but it's somehow less fun to play in big areas

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

You have to admit that the 3d in Tomba 2 is pretty gnarly.

Macaluso posted:

Look I think we can all agree that Wolfenstein: The New Order revitalized first person shooters so both Halo and Half Life 2 are irrelevant now anyway. So let's talk about how great Wolfenstein is

You can listen to nick and pat's new and definitely ongoing podcast "wolfenstein is cool and good"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

I can see people liking Halo multi I guess but the campaign was garbage even at the time.

marathon played real badly but the story was a jillion times better than the weird halo poo poo

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Some of the best playing games in existence are psx games, a system that didn't have graphics so much as wobbly squares that impressionistically form an image on your retina

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

have you considered like first person shooters aren't your favorite games

like aren't you the guy whose favorite thing about the original doom is you can run by everyone without shooting them and slam the button at the end

My favorite thing about Doom is the shotgun.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

What other terrible trends in game can point to one or two games as their genesis, and how many of them point to WoW?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

CJacobs posted:

Give me more enemies with less health over fewer enemies with more health any day.

this works well ........... in nuclear throne

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

chumbler posted:

What other terrible trends in game can point to one or two games as their genesis, and how many of them point to WoW?

oh god don't even get me started

dps / tank / healer is a blight on game design

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

nuclear throne is good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

chumbler posted:

They all point to Blizzard, Valve or Phones

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't think WoW actually did much of anything first but I distinctly remember it being the first game I had ever heard of that ran on a subscription model, and, I mean, that's bad enough.

e: actually I might have heard of Meridian 59 before that but I don't recall if I made the connection

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It will probably never be known but I wonder what the first F2P mobile game was to score like 10,000% profit off selling in game coins or whatever.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

homeless snail posted:

Some of the best playing games in existence are psx games, a system that didn't have graphics so much as wobbly squares that impressionistically form an image on your retina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjK-jao7cwI

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't think WoW actually did much of anything first but I distinctly remember it being the first game I had ever heard of that ran on a subscription model, and, I mean, that's bad enough.

everquest and plenty of MUDS before that did this thing that's hardly the primary sin to lay at world of warcraft's feet

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bethesda and horse armor

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Andrast posted:

Bethesda and horse armor

A simpler time...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Everybody getting mad at capcom for "on disc dlc"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

It will probably never be known but I wonder what the first F2P mobile game was to score like 10,000% profit off selling in game coins or whatever.

angry birds if not actually at least in spirit

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

angry birds if not actually at least in spirit

Angry Birds wasnt F2P and also its a drat fine game. A lotta fun for 5 bucks.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

Angry Birds wasnt F2P and also its a drat fine game. A lotta fun for 5 bucks.

what the extreme h^ck

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You fling the birds and annihilate buildigs...tap the screen again for a fun special. Good poo poo

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Colonel posted:

lets talk about mega man legends 2

mega man is still alive! i just know it! he's trapped on that space station... but i'm sure we'll be able reach him, data

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lol https://www.angrybirds.com/games/angry-birds-star-wars-2/

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

chumbler posted:

knee high walls > gears of war

audiologs instead of cutscene/docs > system shock 2, entered mainstream in bioshock

randomly generated roguelikes > spelunky

survival games and battle royale> day-z

crafting > minecraft

weapon customization > modern warfare

e: loot crates > tf2

cosmetics > tf2

open world gameplay > gta 3

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 25, 2017

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sakurazuka posted:

I can see people liking Halo multi I guess but the campaign was garbage even at the time.

Hot take: Bungie are poo poo at coming storytelling.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I wanna live in a world where everyone is pissed off at Pokemon Snap for popularizing camera games

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

They all point to Blizzard, Valve or Phones

rockstar spawned the open world

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The White Dragon posted:

mega man is still alive! i just know it! he's trapped on that space station... but i'm sure we'll be able reach him, data

marc laidlaw releases the entire script to mega man legends 3 but with all instances of "legends" replaced with "myths", "mega man" with "giga moe", "roll" with "turner", and "bonnes" with "bennies"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Colonel posted:

marc laidlaw releases the entire script to mega man legends 3 but with all instances of "legends" replaced with "myths", "mega man" with "giga moe", "roll" with "turner", and "bonnes" with "bennies"

Tron is mysteriously not changed.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
what is the base unit of a moe (mo-ay), so i can accurately gauge how much is a gigamoe

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Real hurthling! posted:

God I want a new midnight club so bad

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
teisel is mysteriously omitted with no explanation

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Unfunny Poster posted:

Hot take: Bungie are poo poo at coming storytelling.

post ms purchase yes. prior they were among the best. the manuals alone were amazing

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

In the twist ending of the decade, Mega man will look up to see his savior, the man who will rescue him, and sees Gordon Freeman.

Mega-Life 3: Episode Legends

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

homeless snail posted:

I can think of like Klonoa and that's it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

homeless snail posted:

I wanna live in a world where everyone is pissed off at Pokemon Snap for popularizing camera games

One day they'll finally make Pokemon Snap 2 and all of you jerks will be sorry!!!!!!!!!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Oh yeah. I don't really mind the Open World idea really. It's kinda fun in games to just hang out in a space and do whatever. It's just that a lot of games have open worlds just filled to the brim, without realizing that a World should just be. Also a lot of open world games play like crap but there are plenty that are good so it's kind of a wash. Also they have a 15 year pass for making the warriors game

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Macaluso posted:

Look I think we can all agree that Wolfenstein: The New Order revitalized first person shooters so both Halo and Half Life 2 are irrelevant now anyway. So let's talk about how great Wolfenstein is

Never played any Wolfenstein and am perfectly OK with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Unfunny Poster posted:

Never played any Wolfenstein and am perfectly OK with it.

Living up to your name I see :colbert:

• Locked thread