Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I didn't want to attend Xbox University because the class sizes were simply massive but I had to go for the in state tuition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oddium posted:

numbers literally never stop. there are more numbers to think of then there are stars in the universe. and you're telling me the humble 80 isn't small

https://twitter.com/g0m/status/643550782252576768

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CJacobs posted:

The Borderlands games are good games to zone out with while watching TV or Youtube videos or podcasts, also when you smoke weed if you're into that

i enjoy all of this very much and the amount of games i have played more than 150 hours of can be counted on one hand

the amount of games i have played more than 200 hours can be counted on one finger

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm going to put 100 hours into this thing hoping it becomes fun

Wait

Maybe it's actually fun

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've played games for a reasonable amount of time before it became obvious how bad they were, sometimes not even until after I'd finished (Bioshock Infinte) but over ten hours is pushing it even then.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Thank God game time tracking wasn't a thing in the 90's, my Mega Drive Sonic times or Mario 64 would be astronomical.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

rest assured, god knows how long you've played what game and she's nodding. actually at some of you she's very cross but to most she's nodding

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Games that I truly think are bad never manage to hold my attention for very long so I don't know what putting 80+ hours into something I hate would even feel like. There are plenty of mediocre titles that can swallow up 100 hours of your time though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cowcaster posted:

i enjoy all of this very much and the amount of games i have played more than 150 hours of can be counted on one hand

the amount of games i have played more than 200 hours can be counted on one finger

The only solution to this problem is to spend more time playing video games.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

This game is way, way better than it has any right to be

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Over the past year I've been slowly transitioning from inverted Y axis to non-inverted Y axis and oh boy is that hard. I started because I was playing Wind Waker HD where I couldn't actually swap it, so I figured gently caress it, I'll just adjust. But now I'm somewhere in the middle where neither option feels completely comfortable and I have made a huge mistake

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CJacobs posted:

The only solution to this problem is to spend more time playing video games.

i think it's more that even games i love, as well as games that ostensibly have no end and are meant to be repeated in perpetuity (i.e. overwatch et al.) can't hold my ADHD riddled millenial brain's attention for much more than a certain threshold. instead of committing 40 years of my life to a single career playing Dinner Date competitively until i retire from videogames, i spread my fickle desires over a great number of videogames for shorter amounts of time

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 10, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've already passed 80 hours in Splatoon 2 and that games been out for like, 3 weeks. And I would have a lot more if I wasn't away from home on spotty internet right now

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
How do you people have so much free time what the hell

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Harrow posted:

Over the past year I've been slowly transitioning from inverted Y axis to non-inverted Y axis and oh boy is that hard. I started because I was playing Wind Waker HD where I couldn't actually swap it, so I figured gently caress it, I'll just adjust. But now I'm somewhere in the middle where neither option feels completely comfortable and I have made a huge mistake

if you're using a joystick/thumbstick the y axis SHOULD be inverted...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Harrow posted:

What fucks me up is the rare game that inverts horizontal, if I ever get used to that I spend the next few games I play not being sure what the right way is.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

corn in the bible posted:

A lot of those games came out when I was in college and there's 24 hours in a day

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't have a job

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Being a shut in nerd who's only obligation is my mandatory 36.5 hours a week at work.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

I don't have a job

but then how do you smell

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

What fucks me up is the rare game that inverts horizontal, if I ever get used to that I spend the next few games I play not being sure what the right way is.

The original version of FFXII did that. It was a real fucker to get used to.

Cowcaster posted:

if you're using a joystick/thumbstick the y axis SHOULD be inverted...

Well, I'm definitely not inverting on a mouse.

Inverted y-axis on a thumbstick always made the most sense to me, but then if I think about it too hard with the way horizontal works it messes me up. I've read the analysis that some people think of it like controlling their character's head with the thumbstick on the back of it--if you press down, the head's going to tilt upward, that kind of thing. That works for y-axis, but it doesn't work for x-axis, and inverted horizontal is nuts.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

when you're flying a plane pulling back on the joystick makes you go up, pushing forward makes you go down, but pushing to the left and right makes you roll left and right

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

but then how do you smell

With my nose :D

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

although to be fair if you're actively thinking about how your mechanism for looking around in a videogame functions while playing the videogame regardless of what peripheral you're using or how it's calibrated you're probably going to have a bad time

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Still a mystery to me why the Xbox 360 was the only console to ever have a master systemwide preference for inversion and one or two other things. No one else ever copied it and even MS dropped it for the One.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I still have time for longer games but nowadays they have to be something I'm really into or I end up dropping them or in extreme cases actually forgetting they existed just yesterday.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

hmm in mario 64 up and down C move the camera in and out so there you go. i don't remember which way left and right went

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Small brain: Video games that let you invert the controls in the options menu

Medium brain: Video games that let you invert x/y individually

Big brain: Video games that let you invert your controls during the tutorial with no menu necessary

Galaxy brain: Video games that automatically set your controls based on what you press to look up when the game asks

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

biggest brain and also on fire: vr

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That last one is great and I'm sad I've only ever seen it in like Halo 2

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

hmm in mario 64 up and down C move the camera in and out so there you go. i don't remember which way left and right went

Left goes left and right goes right. Source: I just played through 64 like 3 days ago on a lark

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

That last one is great and I'm sad I've only ever seen it in like Halo 2

They do it in MGSV

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

They do it in MGSV

i replayed the tutorial mission a second time because the first time through i was WEED HIGH AND DRUNK and i bumped my mouse by accident when they did this and was locked into backwards controls temporarily

fortunately from what i remember MGSV also does the extremely good thing that more games need to let you do of letting you pause during cutscenes and quit so it was a quick fix

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I knew I'd seen it in a couple of other games, sadly it's often lost on me because the first thing I do on starting a new game now is go to the options and see if I need to change it. Though not all games let you do that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've seen a decent number of games do it recently, but it's not something that I really remember or care about, because I use normal controls like a normal person. Also I just rebind my brain to whatever controls a game needs, and have a serious problem telling whether controls are even inverted during gameplay and often have to stop to do a conscious test.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
The two games I put the most hours into in Steam are Pinball Arcade and Pinball FX2, but I have like 50 tables for each of them and I like competing against high scores across my friends list. I played FFXIV on the PS4 so I don't know how many hours I put into that, maybe 100 or so? I think I put 90 hours into Persona 5 too but some of that is from where I fell asleep with it on. RPGs have always claimed lots of my time, but I can't really stay committed to something for as long as I used to, with the occasional exception. Like, when I see that people have put hundreds of hours into Overwatch or something I think "man, if I put that much time into this I bet I'd be really good" but I just keep buying games and moving onto the next thing. Like, if I want to play an online shooter I have to narrow it down between Overwatch, Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, Killing Floor 2 and Black Ops 3. In those cases it just depends on if there's a PS4 party for one of the games or if I want to try and get seasonal costumes for Overwatch.

My backlog is killing me and I keep adding to it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

any game designer that makes a game that goes directly into an unskippable, unpauseable cutscene the first time you launch it as a form of "immersion" should be hit in the head with a brick

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

Galaxy brain: Video games that automatically set your controls based on what you press to look up when the game asks

:aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cowcaster posted:

any game designer that makes a game that goes directly into an unskippable, unpauseable cutscene the first time you launch it as a form of "immersion" should be hit in the head with a brick

I knew Horizon was going to be one of my favorite games ever when the opening cinematic loaded and subtitles were turned on by default.

• Locked thread