Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CJacobs posted:

I think there's a point at which it becomes more your fault than the game's that you are not enjoying the experience. Having hundreds of hours of playtime but being unwilling to say you enjoy it or would recommend it to others is that point. Just like your opinion holds less weight to others when you haven't taken in the whole experience, the same is true when you've taken it in 20 times, for better or worse.

Speaking of which, I just beat the second Divine Beast in BOTW. People have gone directly to Hyrule Castle from the beginning, right? Maybe I should just see if I can end this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Outside of videogames does the term " slap in the face" get used and i just miss it?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Norns posted:

Outside of videogames does the term " slap in the face" get used and i just miss it?

You oughta know

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Norns posted:

yes http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/a-slap-in-the-face

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Speaking of which, I just beat the second Divine Beast in BOTW. People have gone directly to Hyrule Castle from the beginning, right? Maybe I should just see if I can end this

You're "done" with Legend of Zelda: Best of the Worst whenever you get sick of exploring stuff and roaming carefree through the game's supremely great open world

then you should go get Ganon and put the game down for a while, possibly to come back later

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

or maybe stop playing a game you so blatantly and vocally dislike.

these 1,000 hour thumbs down Steam reviews just blow my mind

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Norns posted:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Backpfeifengesicht

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Needing to beat a game you don't like is mental illness

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I mean yes I've heard of the term and know it's an actual saying but I don't see anything other than gamer dorks using it

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Not that its necessarily the case in those pics, but often games that people tend to dump lots of hours into are ones that are continuously updated and sometime they change the game in a way that people dislike. Or they don't change them enough over a long period of time. Or sometimes people just sour on a game they used to enjoy. What I'm saying is my 1000 hour negative review of dota2 is legit.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The best use of video games in network television was on the NBC show Life, where an Iranian drug dealer hid his secret drug money spreadsheet on his PSP and to access it you had to enter a secret room in the sixth level of Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones, and the cops had to get the kid sister to play through the game and unlock the secret because the geeky cop wasn't good enough to get to it

My friend have you seen the vidyagame centric episode of the x-files? The title is First Person Shooter and it is pure glory.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

I DON'T SEE IT IN THE DSM! :argh:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I think there's a point at which it becomes more your fault than the game's that you are not enjoying the experience. Having hundreds of hours of playtime but being unwilling to say you enjoy it or would recommend it to others is that point. Just like your opinion holds less weight to others when you haven't taken in the whole experience, the same is true when you've taken it in 20 times, for better or worse.
I'm half joking, 4000 is kinda ridiculous, but I've seen a lot of posts here and other places about people that play a game for 40-100 hours and end up coming away from it negatively and that's just incredibly lovely IMO. A well considered review from someone that allowed themselves to become invested with a game and fully engage with it is always gonna be more valuable than a drive by from someone that had an emotional reaction to a game they played one afternoon but has no understanding of it. sometimes it takes dozens of hours to cut through the subjectivity of experiencing a game to get objective distance from it and form a coherent opinion, and sometimes that opinion is "well I liked it but its a bad game ultimately"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Norns posted:

I mean yes I've heard of the term and know it's an actual saying but I don't see anything other than gamer dorks using it

I don't know that I've heard it used often enough anywhere to be able to tell you that. Is it really that common of a phrase?

MMF Freeway posted:

Not that its necessarily the case in those pics, but often games that people tend to dump lots of hours into are ones that are continuously updated and sometime they change the game in a way that people dislike. Or they don't change them enough over a long period of time. Or sometimes people just sour on a game they used to enjoy. What I'm saying is my 1000 hour negative review of dota2 is legit.

I think that it's fine to do this as long as you're able to express that you used to enjoy it and then your opinion changed for real, actual reasons- which 99% of these people do not have the two brain cells to rub together in order to do.

homeless snail posted:

I'm half joking, 4000 is kinda ridiculous, but I've seen a lot of posts here and other places about people that play a game for 40-100 hours and end up coming away from it negatively and that's just incredibly lovely IMO. A well considered review from someone that allowed themselves to become invested with a game and fully engage with it is always gonna be more valuable than a drive by from someone that had an emotional reaction to a game they played one afternoon but has no understanding of it. sometimes it takes dozens of hours to cut through the subjectivity of experiencing a game to get objective distance from it and form a coherent opinion, and sometimes that opinion is "well I liked it but its a bad game ultimately"

That's fair.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Gamers lack self-control who knew

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Isn't that Nuclear Throne though? It's impossible to play that game for that long without enjoying it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

the only legit thing about 1000 hours of dota2 is a legit case for some kind of trauma

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

DLC Inc posted:

these 1,000 hour thumbs down Steam reviews just blow my mind

corn in the bible posted:

Don't tell me how to live my life. I will prove I am better than the developer by solving every mind-numbing Riddler trophy collectible they throw my way. Even if it means giving this game a dishonest higher than average Hours Played score.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

haha they work at ubisoft

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

an actual dog posted:

haha they work at ubisoft

I need to know who blows 3k hours on a loving Ubisoft game

Money's on this being Division

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'd bet on rainbow six siege.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's actually Grey's Anatomy: The Video Game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
tfw you wish you had more people to play games with and then someone wants to play a game with you but you really just want to play something single player.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

LawfulWaffle posted:

tfw you wish you had more people to play games with and then someone wants to play a game with you but you really just want to play something single player.

This is why I stopped playing ff14. The whole time I was like "drat this is fun but I sure do wish I could play it completely solo" while occasionally playing with that friend I mentioned I signed up with... and then I got to the part where the game starts forcing co-op dungeons on you and I was like nahhhh no thanksss

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

I need to know who blows 3k hours on a loving Ubisoft game

Money's on this being Division

MMF Freeway posted:

I'd bet on rainbow six siege.

Neither of those were out in Nov 2015 when it was posted which makes it even more confusing?? What other timesink games have Ubi released

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

homeless snail posted:

I'm gonna trust someone with 4000 hours of experience 100x more than someone that only played it 4 hours, sometimes you have to immerse yourself in something for half a year to have the experience + understanding to say actually its bad

Yeah but nuclear Throne kicks rear end

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm still riding high on Shadow Tactics and my friend texted me "we should play Don't Starve Together!" and I'm like eeehhhhhhhhhhhh

e: like maybe something that has an end and isn't going to be 4 hours of collecting grass and twigs before freezing to death.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Run Dodo Run posted:

Neither of those were out in Nov 2015 when it was posted which makes it even more confusing?? What other timesink games have Ubi released

You can sort by Ubisoft>Release Date on steam. If it includes games published by them I'm gonna say.....Trackmania?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

LawfulWaffle posted:

:yeah:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I solved the mystery of the 4000 year old gamer, it was Wakfu and I see why the dev cut off the review lmao

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ouch

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I don't think it's unreasonable to play a lot of a thing but not be able to recommend it to others. Games seem set up to be physiologically rewarding in ways that few other forms of media are, namely by rewarding repetitive behavior. So you might spend a lot of time playing something that's boring and bad, but it also keeps hitting the buttons in the lizard part of your brain to keep you from stopping.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That's why you gotta read the words in a review, not just the score

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

*strategically cuts out only the funny part of the review* hehe gonna own this loser that said mean things about my game on twitter

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i enjoy playing tales of symphonia and will probably replay it in the future because for all of its issues it's pretty decent at clicking buttons with character progression and combat, but i wouldn't ever recommend it to anyone in 2017 cause it's dated as gently caress and the story is a trainwreck and there are infinitely better action jrpgs to spend your money on now. basically steam needs to let you give a game no thumbs while still reviewing it so it doesn't look like you're calling it a pile of garbage when you're just saying it might not necessarily be the best game to drop money on

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 10, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm sorry but playing a thing for 3k hours and then saying "this sucks" will always seem crazy to me. "could be good but is ruined with every patch" how long did it take this wretch to wait to quit, if he even quit, because I'm willing to bet that guy is still loving playing this

homeless snail posted:

I solved the mystery of the 4000 year old gamer, it was Wakfu and I see why the dev cut off the review lmao

please tell me if this guy still plays the game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If I typed /played on my main WoW character I might instantly die of shame, regret, and guilt.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

I'm sorry but playing a thing for 3k hours and then saying "this sucks" will always seem crazy to me. "could be good but is ruined with every patch" how long did it take this wretch to wait to quit, if he even quit, because I'm willing to bet that guy is still loving playing this

please tell me if this guy still plays the game

Guaranteed he does, just like every moba player hates them but still plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I mean, people don't review books or movies until they actually finish them. I think there are two kinds of "review" we're talking about here. "I got bored after 2 hours, not recommended" isn't a review of a game, it's a review of a 2 hour span of time.

• Locked thread