Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

mega man 2 worlds of power posted:

The novel mostly follows the game, even offering game hints at the end of some chapters. Besides the added dialogue, the one major variation in the novel is that Dr. Light, fearing Mega Man's chances against Dr. Wily's new, more powerful robots, decided to duplicate him to improve his chances. However, Dr. Light accidentally turns Mega Man into a human being (a difficulty he must endure throughout the story).

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

The White Dragon posted:

wtf jack in the box you seriously have a meal called the waked & baked you're not even being coy about this anymore

lol do they seriously

FirstAidKite posted:

I suspect a lot of it is just ptsd to be frank. I hate how the internet has twisted the word "triggered" into this horrid thing where it's like "lol look at ugly fat chick saying she's triggered cause she's mad lol mental health" because I feel like it's disparaging to people who have ptsd, like myself, and suffer through it on a daily basis.

Yup it sucks!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Phoenix wright is amazing

Which game are you on?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

chumbler posted:

Which game are you on?

Da furst

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I don't know if I don't get Atelier Sophie or if it's just a plain bad game.

First, the party. I currently have Sophie, weak attack and defense but decent spells - probably the main item user character since she's the alchemist -; Monika, average over all, slighly slow; Oskar, absolute garbage and Julio who just joined but seems to be the only character who actually can fight. That's one character - maybe two if you make Sophie a main item user - who can actually hold their weight which means most battle are a chore. Talking about battles, there's one mechanic that drives me crazy. There's a meter you fill every time your characters attack; When it gets to 100%, one of your character can perform an extra support action - either Defending an ally from harm or Attacking an enemy. If you've played Trails on the Sky, you know what it's like, except there's one crucial change: You can't choose when to use it or who uses it. All you can do is put your characters either in Defense Mode or Attack Mode. That means there is a chance that Sophie, the weakest character, will leap and attack an enemy for measly damage or, even worse, shield another character from damage. It's completely baffling how they managed to screw up such a simple mechanic.

And then there's the crafting, which I guess it's the meat of the game. It's a bit weird how it's done so I'll link a short video instead. It's not very complicated, right? And it is kinda fun to learn new recipes and try to make them more efficient. The main thing that's ruining crafting for me is that there's no "Quick Alchemy" option, one where you pin a preferred method of crafting and them just create something by the bulk. This is necessary because, for example, medicine is something that at least two characters should carry, and at least two units too. So that's four time you gotta do that sequence and craft each one. Plus other itens, like bombs. And sometimes there's itens who are only there to be components for other, more complex creations. So you have to create one - or more - of those, and then the actual item you wanted to create on the first place. Overall it's something simple that ends up being completely unfun.

Plus, there's the exploring bits. This is a very minor complaint but since I'm already typing all this, whatever. You move around the world map in search of locations to gather materials and fight monsters. But some of these locations are a single screen, and when you gather everything in it - which is not a lot - you gotta fight a monster to make time pass and new itens appear. It's almost always a single item too. So now you're fighting one monster, gathering one spot, fighting one monster, gathering one spot, which is absolutely tedious, specially if the monsters are below your level.

Also there's the story that so far - I think I'm 7-8 hours in - has been almost inexistent. Plachta lost her memories and Sophie wants to be a good alchemist like her Grandman. You do sidequests and learn new recipes so Plachta can remember stuff. I'm not expecting an epic tale of crafting here but they really oughta to spin something to actually make you want to play this game.

Honestly, I'm almost dropping this and giving Trails in the Sky another chance. The worst part is that this was the most expensive game I bought on the Steam Summer Sale and it's very disappointing so far. :(

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean big story is never a big thing in atelier games, that's kind of the entire point. they are almost entirely chill-out games about gathering ingredients and crafting stuff and crafting bombs to blow up bosses and watching your buddies goof off, afaik ayesha is the only one where it's actually a decently big focus that wasn't a mediocre ps2 spinoff

but also, nobody likes atelier sophie because it's empty and bland and neither of the atelier games on steam are anywhere near as good as the dusk games on pretty much any level

giving trails in the sky another shot right now actually would be a decent idea cause they just put out a beta patch for a turbo mode that lets you just hold down a button to speed up combat

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 11, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you don't enjoy crafting super broken poo poo and one shotting every enemy in the game you're not gonna like Atelier, also Sophie is one of the worst ones so yeah.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Apparently one upside to alcohol is it makes me way better at rocket league

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I tried playing Injustice PC with my Xbox controller. I am by no means a fighting game guy but can't even reliably perform the tutorial move sets. Directional input feels imprecise and swimmy. What cheapness options are there for better controllers? I literally wished I had a super Nintendo gamepad, that would probably work better than the stick or dpad on the Xbox controller.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

also Sophie is one of the worst ones so yeah.

Oh that's a shame, it's the only one I have on steam. I had Iris 2 and 3 on ps2 but I don't have them anymore, never got around to playing 3, and disliked 2 for how...well, cheap and pointless everything felt. Pun not intended. The only good part of Atelier Iris 2 was Gray because Gray was just so goddamned happy about being a guy who killed so many dragons that he became a dragon and his response to it was to just kill more dragons anyway.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

I'm so jelly, wish I could go through the ace attorney games fresh again.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnzAVLREjLk

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

precision posted:

Apparently one upside to alcohol is it makes me way better at rocket league

Give me that power please

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Jack in the box has the most insane calorie counts I've ever seen in a fast food place. It's like 90% grease and sodium, it's loving nuts.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh that's a shame, it's the only one I have on steam. I had Iris 2 and 3 on ps2 but I don't have them anymore, never got around to playing 3, and disliked 2 for how...well, cheap and pointless everything felt. Pun not intended. The only good part of Atelier Iris 2 was Gray because Gray was just so goddamned happy about being a guy who killed so many dragons that he became a dragon and his response to it was to just kill more dragons anyway.

Mana Khemia was the best of the PS2 Ateliers, Iris was their attempt to turn it more in to a straightforward JRPG which mostly failed.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Seriously, Gray is so good.

Speaking of ps2 rpgs, was Eternal Poison any good?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You'll have to find the one person that played it first

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I really don't wanna go find schildkrote after all these years

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Man I am so loving excited for sonic mania. It feels weird to be hype for a game again.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Eternal Poison wasn't that bad as a tactical rpg but I ran into the problem where you had oneshot battles and no way to grind, so you had to do every battle in a way where everyone got to level up, or else you got screwed.

Which was tedious, so I quit playing. I hope I missed something though, this was back when I was like 16 and 16 me was not the brightest at videogames.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

At 16 I played through the first half of FF6 without ever using a healing spell because I didn't see the point

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Well, it's a Final Fantasy game so you weren't exactly wrong

FirstAidKite posted:

Speaking of ps2 rpgs, was Eternal Poison any good?

I haven't played it in years, but I remember it being thoroughly "meh" for the most part, really. Nothing particularly stood out as bad, but not really anything that was all that good either.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

FirstAidKite posted:

I really don't wanna go find schildkrote after all these years

Haven't heard that name in a long time... I used to listen to Desert Bus/the Hargoth stuff, etc far too much.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

I haven't played it in years, but I remember it being thoroughly "meh" for the most part, really. Nothing particularly stood out as bad, but not really anything that was all that good either.

Yeah. Part of its appeal is that there were like 2 srpgs on the PS2 outside of the Disgaea games and their ilk. And I mean, I love Soul Nomad and Makai Kingdom with all my heart, but a girl needs variety.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/san_hachi4971/status/895891102791639041

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yeah. Part of its appeal is that there were like 2 srpgs on the PS2 outside of the Disgaea games and their ilk. And I mean, I love Soul Nomad and Makai Kingdom with all my heart, but a girl needs variety.

Now tell me about onimusha tactics and yu yu hakusho tactics and army man tactics

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Oh huh, I knew there was a game called army men tactics but I could have sworn it was a turn-based tactical game, but nope there are no army men turn-based tactical games. Oh well.

Still though

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Might be thinking about

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Now tell me about onimusha tactics and yu yu hakusho tactics and army man tactics

Those weren't on the PS2 - or at least, not in the gamestop in my neck of the woods. This was before I learned to buy games off of amazon

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

atelier iris were weird spinoffs meant to appeal to dudes more than the regular audience of girls. hence the male protagonists and more JRPG-y plots/setups.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Onimusha Tactics got a random WiiU VC release a couple of years ago.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Those weren't on the PS2 - or at least, not in the gamestop in my neck of the woods. This was before I learned to buy games off of amazon

Go play them anyway. Then report back.

Speaking of weird gba games, remember the diablo-style shining games on GBA? I think they were called Shining Soul and Shining Soul 2. Weird stuff. It was a loot-based ARPG for the GBA with multiplayer but of course you were never gonna get to play it multiplayer cause it'd require the cables and friends who had their own copies of the game. I wouldn't mind if a gba emulator was able to do netplay some day so I could finally try the game out as it was intended because it wasn't bad, it was just kinda boring solo. Also it was weird that in solo mode it didn't pause the game when you'd go into your menu. It'd just bring up the menu and you'd hear yourself getting attacked in the background.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shining has been pretty much every type of RPG ever at some point.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There's definitely a GBA emulator with netplay, although stuff freaks out if there's much latency so really its more like lan play

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

Man I am so loving excited for sonic mania. It feels weird to be hype for a game again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope sonimani is good as I am genuinely worried for the sanity of some Sonic thread posters if it isn't.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Sonic fans should be entirely used to bad games by now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah that's the problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

My only concern is that the superfans make it a bit too... romhacky. Like super hard or whatever.

Considering they're remixing classic levels I'll be too busy behaving like I'm 10 years old again to care!

• Locked thread